1st August start - group

lovemypaperhouse

Today I had eggs with chicken breast and a banana for breakfast.  I'm now a little apprehensive to try a lot of stuff as I want to stay compliant!  So I might have to keep it very simple at least until the family leaves.  

SOOOO ready for lunch now.  I work all day so lunches will have to be leftover dinners everyday but that's ok by me.

Yeah, your breakfast is probably a little protein heavy, and lacking in veg & fat. Don;t let that fruit push the veg off your plate - there is nothing other than fructose that you can't get from vegetables in higher quantities.

Onwards & upwards!

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 4 in the pocket.

Breakfast was eggs with vegetables, lunch chocolate chili and for dinner I had spinach with baked onions and garlic, a meatball and some sweet potatoes fries from the air fryer.

Drank lots of water, a big cup of Ginger/Lemon tea, so no headache today.

Sleeping is already getting better. That was one of the things I liked best last times. The sleeping. I love to sleep. And during a Whole 30 I sleep like a baby.

So looking forward for the next couple of weeks.

Hang in there, we can do this.

Anyone else started with the food dreams yet? Last night I dreamt I had two glasses of wine and some chocolate, so relieved when I woke up and it wasn't true! (Especially as I don't drink anymore).

Day 4 finished for me, energy levels are good and feeling well. Also had a colonic today (too much info?!) as I get really constipated on whole30 and especially since I've also stopped smoking.

Hope you're all doing well - Sarah x

Anyone else started with the food dreams yet? Last night I dreamt I had two glasses of wine and some chocolate, so relieved when I woke up and it wasn't true! (Especially as I don't drink anymore).

YES. I totally had food dreams the last two nights (I don't remember them completely, but they had an ice cream vibe) - I can't tell if indulging within a dream is a good release or a negative impact!  :P  But I feel you.

Well, Day 4 isn't going too terribly. I had a hard time waking up - I've been very fatigued lately - but I rallied enough to make a zucchini/sweet potato/mushroom/onion stir-fry thing that actually turned out quite well! I don't cook very often, so it was a fabulous achievement for me. Even my mom and my sister ate some and said it was good. I ate that with a fried egg for lunch, and I had the rest for a snack, along with an apricot (yeah, I snack - I'm working on slowly breaking the habit over the next week).

My biggest struggle is drinking water. I just moved from Minnesota - where I could get away with ingesting 8 ounces a day and being just fine - to Arizona, where I assume my current water-intake trends are not quite beneficial for my well-being! I just frequently forget that water exists; I literally only drink it when my mouth feels dry, otherwise it's not even on my radar screen. (Does anyone else have this issue?)

(Side note: AZ water tastes far inferior compared to MN water, so that doesn't help my situation.  :lol:)

And as if by magic......... :D

lovemypaperhouse has mentioned the recommended food template I see, but I'd just comment that a few of you are skipping veg at meals - sometimes in favour of fruit, and sometimes just in favour of nothing. The food template is a recommendation, but you will get SO much more bang for your buck if you follow it - three times a day, the first within an hour of wakening (especially those who think they're not hungry in the mornings), as well as pre/postWO meals where applicable for those who exercise. Fruit should not push the veg off of you plate,and it shouldn't be eaten on it's own as a snack.

That's all for now - carry on! :ph34r:

Lol if I eat before I work out it comes right back up - even with just drinking water I'm sometimes close to throwing up.

Today has been the most difficult for me cravingswise - I haven't been getting enough sleep (just started teacher training and I haven't been getting to bed until much later than I would like, then I have to get up early), so I have been really fatigued in the evening when I get home and tonight everything in me was just screaming "order a damn pizza and brownies!!!" but I didn't.

Meal one was an apple with almond butter - I meant to do eggs and tomatoes but woke up too late and had to just throw things in my bag to eat once I got to training.

Meal two was leftover rotisserie chicken, a huge arugula/romaine salad with tomatoes, sunflower seeds, bacon bits and ranch dressing, and a cup of applesauce.

Meal three was 2 burger patties with avocado mayo sauce (like mayo blended with an avocado and lime, not just avocado mayo) - I have never been an avocado person so I think the avocados that I got are not really ripe, I didn't like the sauce very much, wish I had just used some of my ketchup instead but now I still have half the batch of avocado mayo left so I will have to figure out how to use that up.  I also had diced Yukon Gold potatoes roasted in duck fat - yukon golds in duck fat is the best!

After that I decided to try the Crio Bru that I had ordered - it is terrible!  I understand it is unsweetened and I was expecting it to be bitter, but I was also expecting that it would at least have some chocolate flavor, but it didn't it was just watery and so so so bitter.  So glad I just ordered the small bag!  The problem is that while it doesn't taste chocolatey at all it does smell chocolatey, so now my house smells like chocolate and I still just want some damn brownies!!!  I even tried adding a little almond milk and vanilla powder - nope, not even a subtle hint of chocolate, just slightly less watery bitter.  

I love reading everyones posts, and food they are enjoying, its so helpful to know i am not doing this alone I am feeling the fatigue tonight. Not a person who naps, but I could have actually fallen asleep at 5:30 after I arrived home from work. But I didnt. I had dinner instead. I am fortunate that my hub is retired and likes to cook and is sort of....doing this with me, but he is really suportive. He made red bell peppers stuffed with taco pork and beef, spicy with peppers from the garden, and topped with avocado and salsa, and a salad, watermelon for dessert to cool it down. I know this 4th day fatigue and headachy feeling will pass, just need to get to day 6 or so. A family wedding this weekend. I have volunteered to be DD for any and all, that will save me from the wine choice, now to plan and execute avoiding the great food! I can do it, it's only a few hours....happy Friday, everyone!

Happy Day 4 everyone!  It sounds like we are all doing well so far.  

I'm currently reading "The Power of Habit" and I've decided to hit a spin class tomorrow and get a personal trainer.  I haven't done any exercise since June 20th when I broke my ankle in 2 places while hiking.  The truth is that I was distracted while looking at a playlist on my phone.  Now I cringe every time I hear that JT song LOL!!  But I share this with you because I think most of us have walked and read our phone at some point.  It just takes that one second of inattention for an accident to happen that could totally be avoided.  Once you've lost mobility of your foot (or whatever broken bone you have) you realize how frustrating it is to do the most simple of tasks.   So please, don't be dumb like I was!  The couple of seconds you spend stopped while doing whatever it is you're doing on your phone is worth it!!  

Is anyone else reading some helpful, motivating books?

Lol if I eat before I work out it comes right back up - even with just drinking water I'm sometimes close to throwing up.

And if you're working out during the day/evening this is fine so long as you are taking a postWO meal (and when I say meal it's really only a few bites - not enough to kill your appetite for your next actual meal). But if you WO first thing in the morning, and as a result your first meal will be more than an hour after wakening, we would encourage you to eat *something* preWO unless you've always trained fasted... B)

• Whole30 Certified Coach

8/4

Day 4 - at 7 AM my husband looked at the calendar and reminded me I had to work.  Oops.  11-7 shift.  Boo.  

While grocery shopping - kombucha

M1 - coffee with coconut cream, breakfast frittata, coconut milk, pan fried potatoes, small apple 

M2 -  beef enchilada casserole, homemade guac with whole avocado, grapefruit

Sn - 2 HB eggs, mayo with few drops of Frank's hot sauce, kombucha

M3 - few bits of the most recent batch of kalua pork, *giant* honeydew

I was glad to feel what I think was baby a little bit in the middle of the night... I was a little concerned I squished it with all the honeydew I ate!  That melon was probably the size of my belly :/  BUT the melons are out of the house.  I went through a 4 week stretch or so where I was eating basically nothing but melon.  I think I'm over that now :)  I'm going to not buy any for a bit. 

I was super reflux-y all day yesterday.  2/3 template meals - an improvement from the day before.  Maybe today I'll get to 3/3!  Not burping up spicy enchilada and guac will help ;)

The 2x kombuchas are due to the antibiotics I'm on.  I'm taking a probiotic at lunch and drinking the cranberry kombuchas for the probiotics and the slim chance that the teensy little bit of cranberry juice in there has some effect on the bacterias ability to adhere to each other... 

It isn't even noon and my day has already been a roller coaster.

I sprung out of bed full of energy and took the dog for a brisk walk. Once home, I proceeded to be super grumpy with my very sleepy partner for no real reason. Then, driving to work, I developed an awful headache. Now, at work, I'm finding it very hard to focus.

The last time I did a whole 30, I remember being a little bit of "kill all the things" around this time, but certainly not this level of weirdness. I'm attributing it to my fairly terrible diet the last few weeks prior to starting the whole30.

I've just had some herbal tea, which seemed to help things a bit. Just going to take the day one step at a time and hope my coworkers will be forgiving.

Hope the day is treating the rest of you a little bit better!

Day 4 and I'm so sleepy. The heat last night really made it difficult for me. I think tonight I will take a shower to cool off before bed.

Have been busy this morning with a number of meetings back to back. Yesterday was the same, but I felt I had more energy. Knowing I'd have a busy day, I got up to make myself a good breakfast/lunch so I wouldn't be tempted with snacks/muffins/breads in these meetings.

Breakfast for Day 4

2 egg omlette with veggies

Hashbrowns

Apples with almond butter

Green Tea

Lunch for Day 4

Leftovers from dinner 

Large mixed green salad with veggies, beef tenderloin and avocado,

Cashews

Apples with almond butter.

Iced black coffee

Haven't thought of dinner just yet, but I'm thinking salmon, asparagus, carrots and some peppers.

Hope everyone is having a good day!

And if you're working out during the day/evening this is fine so long as you are taking a postWO meal (and when I say meal it's really only a few bites - not enough to kill your appetite for your next actual meal). But if you WO first thing in the morning, and as a result your first meal will be more than an hour after wakening, we would encourage you to eat *something* preWO unless you've always trained fasted... B)

I do work out in the afternoon now, but used to work out in the morning and always worked out fasted, it doesn't seem to hurt me. Of course last night I was so tired I didn't go to the gym I just crawled into bed at 8pm and was asleep by 9:30 then slept till 11:45 today...guess I needed it! Now to eat some breakfast then finish cleaning my house!

Am I counting incorrectly, because today is technically day 5 for me with an August 1st start date and I've seen a few posts for Day 4?? 

Regardless, introducing myself to the group. My fiance and I are doing our second Whole 30 (technically 3rd, but we failed so hard on the second one that it doesn't even count). I started personal training last month and haven't seen any results so I decided to do a Whole30 to jumpstart my weight loss, get some of those tiger blood gainz, and reboot the way I've been eating (and to remind myself that I don't actually need wine 4+ nights a week). Gotta get fit and toned for that wedding dress next year!

Today at work they had a woodfire pizza food truck cater lunch for everyone. I tried to pretend like I really enjoyed my turkey and zucchini/carrot sauté mix, but inside I am definitely feeling "Kill ALL the things."

Looking forward to being a part of this group!

Yesterday evening I made about half a pound of seasoned ground beef, intending to save some for future meals, but I ended up eating it all. My protein intake has been menial for the last 4 days, and my body was just dying for dat beef protein. I made most of it into a semi-taco-salad with shredded lettuce, chopped onions, avocado, and salsa (which I'm going to do more often because dear lord it was delicious), and the rest I just ate plain. I think I'll make more for lunch today (and perhaps actually leave some for the future!).

I like reading everyone else's "food logs" on here; they're quite helpful for meal ideas. Being 17 and having no experience with consciously healthy cooking (or any cooking for myself, really), it's wonderful to have a glimpse into the possibilities!

(And to add an unnecessary life update, I had a dream where I ate pie last night, and the consequent pervasive guilt ruined the rest of my dreams.  :lol:)

'Day 4 finished for me, energy levels are good and feeling well. Also had a colonic today (too much info?!) as I get really constipated on whole30 and especially since I've also stopped smoking'

Sarah, maybe you could try eating one or two kiwifruits before breakfast. My mom always has trouble going to the toilet and since she eats kiwifruits no problems.

Day 5 is over. Had more trouble with not snacking. Not because I'm hungry, but just for eating something.

But i did  it again. Good luck to you on the other side of the ocean with all the day still ahead of you.

Hang in there!

Karin

forgot to mention my meals;

Meal 1; sweet potato/carrot/bell pepper soup with omelet egg

Meal 2; turkey curry with cauliflower, broccoli and haricots verts

Meal 3; a Salad with salmon, green asparagus, cucumber and as a side dish sweet potato fries.

Today is day 5 for me (I started Aug 1). I had been feeling very tired and fatigued and this morning complete turnaround in energy. I went for a 2-mile walk at 6am and had a bounce in my step the entire time, that has not been the case. I got dressed for work and was able to wear a top that fit much looser around my mid-section than a few weeks ago. I feel good. 

• Breakfast this morning was a veggie hash scramble with sausage and eggs. I made a big batch of veggie hash on Monday - sweet potatoes, potatoes, onions, garlic, red peppers, celery and parsnips cubed and fried in a little ghee in a non-stick skillet. This is a go-to breakfast for me.
  • Lunch was a chicken breast grilled with rosemary and EVOO, grilled zucchini and onion, some kiwi and half a banana
  • Dinner will be salmon fillet quick fried in ghee on top of fresh steamed spinach, lemon on top, and some watermelon

Because I work all week, and get up at 5am to hit the gym or walk I like to grill proteins and veggies outside on Sundays. I do a lot of meal prep and then use it throughout the week. It helps me stay on track during the week when I don't want to cook a lot each evening, and I like to bring my own lunch, not much of a restaurant-food gal. I am trying to give it all my attention for these 30 days...and I wish you all well! Have a great W30 weekend!

Thanks Katie - for some reason fruit never had a laxative effect on me and I rarely eat it to be honest because of the sugar content.

I've finished day five - not on kill all things yet, hopefully it won't happen, I only had that stage on my first whole30.

My meals the past few days have been...

Breakfast - frittata made with sweet pots, bacon, mushrooms, kale, toms

Lunch - turkey burgers, salad, broccoli, cauliflower hummus.

Dinners - either prawns or salmon with cold salad and a bacon and kale hot salad (just fry them both together).

Some posts don't seem to mention that much veg for each meal - please take it from experience, you need to have veg every meal - like half your plate should be veg. It's going to fill you up and pack loads of nutrition in, plus fibre will help digestion and get everything moving and those toxins out. Have a look at my meals on insta if you want an idea of how your plates should be made up.

Hope everyone's looking forward to food shopping and meal prepping this weekend!

Sarah xx

Hey everyone.  I have a question.  I am having a hard time finding compliant lunch meat.  I am looking bc I work away from home every other week and I'm looking for lunch ideas that are portable or that I can find easily.  What brands are compliant that you all have found? I live in WV and there are no whole Foods or Trader Joes near by.  Thank you in advance.  :)

Hey everyone.  I have a question.  I am having a hard time finding compliant lunch meat.  I am looking bc I work away from home every other week and I'm looking for lunch ideas that are portable or that I can find easily.  What brands are compliant that you all have found? I live in WV and there are no whole Foods or Trader Joes near by.  Thank you in advance.  :)

I'm not sure if you have a Publix near you, but their Greenwise brand has compliant turkey!

Huge win for me, as they did not have it for my whole30 last year.  Ingredients are: turkey, water, native potato starch, sea salt. 

I know that it's honestly not the best because it's not just turkey, but when you're in a pinch (like today, when I didn't have any prepared proteins on hand) it's a good compliant alternative.

I'm not sure if you have a Publix near you, but their Greenwise brand has compliant turkey!

Huge win for me, as they did not have it for my whole30 last year.  Ingredients are: turkey, water, native potato starch, sea salt. 

I know that it's honestly not the best because it's not just turkey, but when you're in a pinch (like today, when I didn't have any prepared proteins on hand) it's a good compliant alternative.

She mentioned she's in West Virginia, Publix isn't there at this point in time - they just came to North Carolina last year I think.  I would just say look at ingredients everywhere - even at Trader Joe's the roast beef/pastrami have sugar

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I think Whole Food's store-made is compliant (they sell it at the deli counter or cubed at the salad bar).  Its expensive though.  

Another option is to just make chicken breasts.  Trader Joe's sells frozen ones that are usually ~4 oz each - if you prepped a bunch of them you could use them.  Less processed that way too.

Archived