1st August start - group

lovemypaperhouse

...A family wedding this weekend. I have volunteered to be DD for any and all, that will save me from the wine choice, now to plan and execute avoiding the great food! I can do it, it's only a few hours....happy Friday, everyone!

I survived a family wedding during my first Whole30 last Summer. I planned ahead and ate BEFORE the meal was served, which helped a lot. Then I selected compliant items and joined others for meal time, but was not feeling deprived. The caterers were very gracious about letting me know what was in the food, ingredients, preparation, etc. As people ate the cake, I just thought about all the other wedding cakes and birthday cakes I'd had in my life (most weren't as good as they looked anyway), and I reminded myself that AFTER the Whole30 and AFTER doing my reintroductions, if I decided cake was something I wanted to allow "when it's worth it", then I was gonna have all the freedom in the world to do that. But there was NO WAY I was gonna blow my Whole30 for a piece of cake at that wedding. NO. WAY. I reminded myself how mad I'd be the next day if I gave in... and once everybody was done eating and the dancing started, I was ALL GOOD. I danced that night away, I can tell you!

You can TOTALLY do it. Good luck!  : )

[PS I don't drink, so that wasn't a temptation... but they had a popcorn bar, and popcorn is my favorite food in the WHOLE WORLD, so I was a total rock star to say no to that!!]

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 5 - So after sleeping 14 hours last night I woke up around lunchtime and made a sort of alfredo sauce out of almond milk and cauliflower and had that over leftover rotisserie chicken and green beans.

Dinner was two ground beef patties with ketchup and roasted gold potatoes. I followed that up with a container of raspberries.

While physically I feel fine I have really been struggling with cravings for sweet stuff. Hoping that gets better soon, but I think this is by far the longest I've gone without any added sugar. And I am definitely noticing how often sweet stuff appears on TV and social media - I have had to unfollow multiple Instagram accounts because they post too many pictures of beautiful desserts and even in shows not about food there are lots of scenes of people eating sweets!

...Also had a colonic today (too much info?!) as I get really constipated on whole30 and especially since I've also stopped smoking'...

Have you tried asking for support in the troubleshooting section of the forums? It happened to me too, especially the first Whole30... I really had to learn to manage the constipation as my body adapted to the dietary changes and increased protein. I was advised to try Magnesium, and it helped a bit. Also to drink LOTS of water, make sure to pile the veggies high at every meal, and to pick protein sources my body processed the easiest (for me, that was eggs/fish/chicken).

Maybe our moderator will pipe in with advice on this (all too common) subject...?

Gypsyhorsefan.

We're only on day 5 so don't panic too much about your sugar cravings just yet.

How much sugar did you have daily before you started? The more you have the harder it'll be to kick.

Also, you said on your last post...

'Dinner was two ground beef patties with ketchup and roasted gold potatoes. I followed that up with a container of raspberries.'

Though compliant, youve not had any veg with that mean and had a lot of fruit (with sugar!). Try filling up on veg with your meal and limiting fruit to smaller portions to be had in addition to veg, not instead of.

Day 4 and I'm so sleepy. The heat last night really made it difficult for me. I think tonight I will take a shower to cool off before bed.

Have been busy this morning with a number of meetings back to back. Yesterday was the same, but I felt I had more energy. Knowing I'd have a busy day, I got up to make myself a good breakfast/lunch so I wouldn't be tempted with snacks/muffins/breads in these meetings.

Breakfast for Day 4

2 egg omlette with veggies

Hashbrowns

Apples with almond butter

Green Tea

Lunch for Day 4

Leftovers from dinner 

Large mixed green salad with veggies, beef tenderloin and avocado,

Cashews

Apples with almond butter.

Iced black coffee

Haven't thought of dinner just yet, but I'm thinking salmon, asparagus, carrots and some peppers.

Hope everyone is having a good day!

Keep an eye on those apples with almond butter - the almond butter can be problematic for the digestive system when over consumed, and canbe a food without brakes for a lot of people - nuts & nut butters should really only be eaten every other day and a serving of nuts would be a closed handful. Fruit should  also be limited to 1-2 fist sized servings a day.

'Day 4 finished for me, energy levels are good and feeling well. Also had a colonic today (too much info?!) as I get really constipated on whole30 and especially since I've also stopped smoking'

Sarah, maybe you could try eating one or two kiwifruits before breakfast. My mom always has trouble going to the toilet and since she eats kiwifruits no problems.

Day 5 is over. Had more trouble with not snacking. Not because I'm hungry, but just for eating something.

But i did  it again. Good luck to you on the other side of the ocean with all the day still ahead of you.

Hang in there!

Karin

Are you taking a magnesium supplement? It acts as a muscle relaxant (amongst other things) and can really help in the bathroom department. You could also try air squats to get things moving, or some ground flax seeds can also help - they are very high in dietary fibre, magnesium, omega 3, calcium & iron so a good all rounder for the diet too.

Day 5 - So after sleeping 14 hours last night I woke up around lunchtime and made a sort of alfredo sauce out of almond milk and cauliflower and had that over leftover rotisserie chicken and green beans.

Dinner was two ground beef patties with ketchup and roasted gold potatoes. I followed that up with a container of raspberries.

While physically I feel fine I have really been struggling with cravings for sweet stuff. Hoping that gets better soon, but I think this is by far the longest I've gone without any added sugar. And I am definitely noticing how often sweet stuff appears on TV and social media - I have had to unfollow multiple Instagram accounts because they post too many pictures of beautiful desserts and even in shows not about food there are lots of scenes of people eating sweets!

You need to increase your fat at each meal. That will knock the cravings on the head.

Gypsyhorsefan.

We're only on day 5 so don't panic too much about your sugar cravings just yet.

How much sugar did you have daily before you started? The more you have the harder it'll be to kick.

Also, you said on your last post...

'Dinner was two ground beef patties with ketchup and roasted gold potatoes. I followed that up with a container of raspberries.'

Though compliant, youve not had any veg with that mean and had a lot of fruit (with sugar!). Try filling up on veg with your meal and limiting fruit to smaller portions to be had in addition to veg, not instead of.

Potatoes are actually a vegetable.

Potatoes are actually a vegetable.

During my 1st and 2nd W30 potatoes were still a big No. Now they're allowed according to the programme. I've experienced them to be a no-breaks food, even when cooked naturel.

A great help to me was the Nom nom paleo app : delicious recipes with a large whole30 section. And tiny bits of 100% chocolat accompanied by hazelnuts.

Keep on going!

It's not like I'm having potatoes three times a day, and even the whole30 people admitted that not  including regular potatoes at first was an arbitrary decision.  I like potatoes because they're so easy - cut into big chunks, toss in duck fat and salt and throw in the oven.  I also like green beans and broccoli for the same reason.  For me they are not a food with no brakes unless they are in chip form.  I do try to incorporate a variety of vegetables but at the same time I work out enough that I find I need to incorporate more carbs and potatoes are my go-to for that.  Today has been better as far as the sugar craving so far - right before the program I was on vacation for about 10 days, the last 5 of which were in the San Francisco Bay Area - aka land of the best sourdough bread, plus it was my grandfather's birthday and we for some reason got a huge Costco cake so I was eating quite a bit of sugar.  I definitely notice the cravings more in the evening, and I am used to at the end of the work week generally buying some sort of dessert to eat over my weekend so I think that might be what was going on yesterday.  We'll see how the rest of today goes.  Right now I am working on making meal 1 (slept in again) - summer squash and egg oven baked patties - usually I make them with cheese but I'm going to see how I like them without - normally the cheese would provide the fat so I may just end up dipping them in some mayo for that.

Sooo tired! No energie to write anything besides my meals.

Meal 1: lots of oven grilled vegetables with 2 eggs and some panchetta

Meal 2: stir-fried beef with vegetables.

Meal3: BBQ, burger, turkey and shrimps with tomato-onion salad, cucumber and watermelon

Of to bed now.

Karin

Sooo tired! No energie to write anything besides my meals.

Meal 1: lots of oven grilled vegetables with 2 eggs and some panchetta

Meal 2: stir-fried beef with vegetables.

Meal3: BBQ, burger, turkey and shrimps with tomato-onion salad, cucumber and watermelon

Of to bed now.

Karin

Yeah, you're tired because you're not eating any fat!! Fat is seriously your best friend here.....

Hey everyone!

Happy Day 6 - already! 

I have to say, this Whole 30 has been so much easier.  It probably helps that I'm not being overly social this week so those temptations aren't there as often.  However, as far as sugar cravings (my weakness) - they're not happening... thank goodness. 

This morning I was looking at my closet and thinking "in a month I'll be able to wear this and this and this again"  :)

I am excited about the fall and feeling more confident in my clothes (although most of the summer was spent in leggings due to the broken ankle/cast).

Is there anyone out there who, like me, brings out their seasonal wardrobe and thinks "this summer/fall/winter/spring I'm going to fit into these great pieces" and then the season goes by and they just put them away until next year.  Geez, it's the worst!  I have faith this fall that isn't going to happen.  Having done the 

Whole 30 in January, I know the foods that make me go off the rails and so at the end of this cycle I will not be eating them.  Honestly, there are so many delicious, healthy things to eat - refined sugar and processed foods should not pass my lips!

I'm glad to be able to read this thread everyday and see how you guys are doing.   I hope you're having a good weekend so far!

P

Tired today but I think it's more because it's the first day in months I've had nothing planned - so my body's just gone 'meh'.

Today's meals - frittata for meal 1, meal two was a huge prosciutto salad with veggies and olives plus a banana.

Third meal was more a snack because I had a big afternoon snooze and didn't want too much to eat - smoked salmon and some pistachios.

I working all day tomorrow so I've got carrot sticks, olives, grapes and coconut water ready for snacks through the shift.

13 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Yeah, you're tired because you're not eating any fat!! Fat is seriously your best friend here.....

I'm eating fat although I'm not mentioning it.

I fry my eggs and pancetta (which is like bacon, fat meat) in cocos oil and the vegetables are covered in some olive oil and herbs before roasting in the oven, the stir-fry may be the leanest meal of the day, although there I also use some cocos oil to start the frying. 

With the BBQ meat I eat home made garlic mayo and the tomato salad has a olive oil based dressing.

I'm just blaming day six and seven

16 hours ago, Wholepammy said:

Hey everyone!

Happy Day 6 - already! 

I have to say, this Whole 30 has been so much easier.  It probably helps that I'm not being overly social this week so those temptations aren't there as often.  However, as far as sugar cravings (my weakness) - they're not happening... thank goodness. 

This morning I was looking at my closet and thinking "in a month I'll be able to wear this and this and this again"  :)

I am excited about the fall and feeling more confident in my clothes (although most of the summer was spent in leggings due to the broken ankle/cast).

Is there anyone out there who, like me, brings out their seasonal wardrobe and thinks "this summer/fall/winter/spring I'm going to fit into these great pieces" and then the season goes by and they just put them away until next year.  Geez, it's the worst!  I have faith this fall that isn't going to happen.  Having done the 

Whole 30 in January, I know the foods that make me go off the rails and so at the end of this cycle I will not be eating them.  Honestly, there are so many delicious, healthy things to eat - refined sugar and processed foods should not pass my lips!

I'm glad to be able to read this thread everyday and see how you guys are doing.   I hope you're having a good weekend so far!

P

I did the same thing last night.  I was organizing my dresser.  high five for us!!!

6 hours ago, Kaatje64 said:

I'm eating fat although I'm not mentioning it.

I fry my eggs and pancetta (which is like bacon, fat meat) in cocos oil and the vegetables are covered in some olive oil and herbs before roasting in the oven, the stir-fry may be the leanest meal of the day, although there I also use some cocos oil to start the frying. 

With the BBQ meat I eat home made garlic mayo and the tomato salad has a olive oil based dressing.

I'm just blaming day six and seven

More often than not the fat used for cooking stays in the pan and so we'd recommend that you add an additional source. It's prettty hard to go overboard on the fat to be honest...

YES ONE WEEK DOWN. 

My friends took me roller skating last night, and I'd only had an egg for dinner, so I was worried that I'd get tired and hangry like I usually do when I'm running on virtually empty, but my blood sugar dipped for about 10 minutes and then I was fine and had energy to skate for 3 hours! Clean eating for the win; it must be doing something good for my body. (And I didn't crave any of the food that I smelled at the roller rink. WOOT)

Today's Meals:

Breakfast: 4 chopped-up carrots fried in olive oil w/ salt, pepper, and garlic powder

Lunch: salad w/ carrot, avocado, and salmon + olive oil and red wine vinegar

Dinner: 1ish potato, chopped up and baked w/ olive oil, garlic powder, rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper (I just kind of threw it all together and it turned out delicious) AND an indefinite amount of canned salmon (I ate it out of the can while watching the Olympics, so I don't know exactly how much I ate) AND like 5 olives

This second week, I'm going to start working out again and really work on not snacking. (And hopefully I'll overcome food-cheating dreams, which I've had for four successive nights. I'm SICK of them. :lol:)

Great job, everybody! *congratulatory high-fives to all*

59 minutes ago, OMistressElise said:

YES ONE WEEK DOWN. 

My friends took me roller skating last night, and I'd only had an egg for dinner, so I was worried that I'd get tired and hangry like I usually do when I'm running on virtually empty, but my blood sugar dipped for about 10 minutes and then I was fine and had energy to skate for 3 hours! Clean eating for the win; it must be doing something good for my body. (And I didn't crave any of the food that I smelled at the roller rink. WOOT)

Today's Meals:

Breakfast: 4 chopped-up carrots fried in olive oil w/ salt, pepper, and garlic powder

Lunch: salad w/ carrot, avocado, and salmon + olive oil and red wine vinegar

Dinner: 1ish potato, chopped up and baked w/ olive oil, garlic powder, rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper (I just kind of threw it all together and it turned out delicious) AND an indefinite amount of canned salmon (I ate it out of the can while watching the Olympics, so I don't know exactly how much I ate) AND like 5 olives

This second week, I'm going to start working out again and really work on not snacking. (And hopefully I'll overcome food-cheating dreams, which I've had for four successive nights. I'm SICK of them. :lol:)

Great job, everybody! *congratulatory high-fives to all*

Seriously? Looking at your other meals I'm guessing you've seen the meal template?

Where is your protein?? And additional fat?? Your body is going to be playing some serious nutritional catch up over the next few days if this (& your one egg for dinner last night) is how you're eating.....

A serving of olives by the way would be an open handful ;)

Well done on resisting the junk food at the skating rink though - that is most definitely a win all things considered!

Week 2 everyone - how's everyone finding it so far?

I think last week was pretty easy - it's normally this week when I feel the most tempted and I've ended two Whole30s on 10 day. I think that's the day you're most likely to quite, so I'll definitely be prepared with meals and plan activities so I don't sit and think about food!

Meals for Monday - Wednesday

Breakfast - Frittata, chia pudding with fruit, seeds and coconut flakes

Lunch - Peri-peri chicken and chicken livers, saag aloo and roasted broccoli (basically weekend leftovers!)

Dinner - Fish and veggies except Wednesday when I'm going out for a meal, so it'll be steak and veg :)

Had a good weekend, was working yesterday at a food and drink festival, so much temptation. I was good though and had two jerk chicken legs for my lunch :) and a fish curry last night.

Sarah x

Hey all, checking in since I didn't post in here last week.

Today is day 16 for me (out of 55) and I'm not finding that counting the days is very inspiring at this point. Maybe once I pass 30 days it'll feel different. I'm pretty in the zone already. I always feel great when I'm on Whole 30 and I'm never tired, hungry, or irritable, so that's good. I do sort of modify the "meal template" because it doesn't feel good or natural to me. I'm genuinely not hungry in the morning (I also start work really early), so I really end up with two full meals and a mini-meal in the morning. If I were to eat more, it would feel like forcing myself to eat, which is so not what I signed up for Whole 30 to do. My first Whole 30 I stuck really closely to the template and it was fine, but I found that I was so focused on what was going in my mouth all day that I got stressed about it and felt a bit burned out at the end of my 30 days. Now that I'm in it for the longer haul, I'm doing what feels best to me (while staying 100% food compliant of course) so that I can sustain it. I'm enjoying it a lot more and my entire world doesn't revolve around meal planning anymore.

Does anyone have a good fish recipe? I prefer light, white fish (tilapia, flounder, etc.) and I'd love something that can be pan fried with green beans or something. Any marinade suggestions?

Yay for week 1 being over! Congrats, everyone.

This weekend was my husband's birthday. Usually we have a big family outing at a restaurant, etc. Kudos to my husband for recognizing that with only 1 week under his belt, he didn't think he'd be able to handle the temptations of a restaurant so we stayed home and ate a great steak dinner.

I woke up a little tired this morning (curse you Olympics) so I skipped my morning workout for breakfast. Had a 2 egg and chorizo omelette with onions, mushrooms, green and red peppers and a sweet potato hash.

Lunch will be a green salad with egg, peppers, tomatoes, carrots, etc. with a side of celery.

Dinner - still working it out but I think I will make a chile con carne (no rice) with some lovely sauteed veggies.

Happy Monday to everyone!

Archived