Egg-Less Breakfasts


kmr1001

Recommended Posts

Hello fellow Whole30-ers!

 

I'm on day 3 of my first whole30, and I am having a bit of trouble with breakfast. Prior to starting the Whole30, I never ate eggs. I just didn't like them. I plan on trying them again in the next few days, but I am waiting for my stomach to settle down.

 

Yesterday, I tried Melissa's Chicken Hash for breakfast, but I just couldn't stomach it so early in the morning. I ended up eating a few bites, and then not eating again until close to 3pm.

 I know new habits take time, but I am looking for a temporary solution. Today, I had an apple with almond butter for breakfast, but I was not sure if that counts as an "approved" meal. I am generally not hungry in the morning (Well, except for coffee :) ).

 

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I want to set my self up for success, but I also want to follow the meal templates as best I can.  

 

Thanks for any advice!

 

Oh-also! How many servings of fruit are we aiming for a day? 1? 

 

Happy eating!

 

-K

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are not hungry in the morning, your hormones are likely out of whack.  The best way to fix that is to eat within an hour of waking.  Eating an apple and almond butter does not fit the recommended template.  Not against the rules, but not optimal.  If you are not accustomed to eating in the morning, it can take a while to get your mind and body adjusted to it.  You might try some soup (w protein, veggie and fat) and see if you can eat that.  For a long time, I made breakfast salads w lettuce, tomato, hb egg and bacon topped with a homemade ranch dressing.  Keep trying new things until you hit on something that agrees with you.  The most important thing is that you try to eat within that hour window.  If you can't eat the template portion, pack it up and try finishing a little later.

 

On the fruit question, I believe the recommendation is one to two servings per day - if you want it.  Personally I avoid it, because it make me want sugar.  If you do eat fruit, it should be with a meal and you shouldn't let fruit get in the way of you getting your veggies in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello fellow Whole30-ers!

 

I'm on day 3 of my first whole30, and I am having a bit of trouble with breakfast. Prior to starting the Whole30, I never ate eggs. I just didn't like them. I plan on trying them again in the next few days, but I am waiting for my stomach to settle down.

 

Yesterday, I tried Melissa's Chicken Hash for breakfast, but I just couldn't stomach it so early in the morning. I ended up eating a few bites, and then not eating again until close to 3pm.

 I know new habits take time, but I am looking for a temporary solution. Today, I had an apple with almond butter for breakfast, but I was not sure if that counts as an "approved" meal. I am generally not hungry in the morning (Well, except for coffee :) ).

 

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I want to set my self up for success, but I also want to follow the meal templates as best I can.  

 

Thanks for any advice!

 

Oh-also! How many servings of fruit are we aiming for a day? 1? 

 

Happy eating!

 

-K

Instead of "breakfast" think Meal 1 and remember you can have any sort of template meal for Meal 1. Even those who love breakfast can find lose their appetite during a Whole30 and when that happens, the best strategy I've found is to make sure that you eat "all around" the plate. I.e., eat as much protein AND veggies AND fat as you can within an hour of eating, then save the rest. You may well find that you can finish it later in the morning. If you keep following the discipline of eating a template meal within an hour of eating, your hormones will adjust and you'll find yourself hungry for breakfast.

Also, if you have little appetite in the morning, try eating your favorite foods. (For me, when I lost my appetite I turned to compliant hotdogs with lots of mustard, greens with balsamic vinegar, and avocado.)

When you eat nut butter and apples, you are not following the template and you're giving yourself poorer quality fat and fruit instead of protein, vegetables and higher quality fats. I've read way too many threads from people who have derailed their Whole30s or had less than optimal results because they fell into the nut butter/fruit trap instead of just following the template.

Fruit, if eaten at all, should be part of a template meal and remember the mantra of not allowing fruit to push vegetables off your plate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Kmr1001, we're in the same boat girl!  Day 4 for me, tried eggs with salsa yesterday...a few bits and bleh, couldn't finish it.  I can tell you that for me I just kept repeating "get a plan, make a plan".  I used pinterest and google and started looking for whole30 breakfasts without eggs, and even a few that did them differently.  I found a veggie lovers paradise out there of stuff, like roasted sweet potato slices topped with avocado (basically slip in in the oven, sip your coffee while getting ready, come back and plate your meal).  I also found the if egg is the protein and it's putting you off (like it is me) find another protein.  The most common is sausage and bacon...personally I hate sausage but Whole 30 has compliant bacon, yay!  I live in a rural town so I'm looking into ways to order some to my door, because my walmart doesn't carry a compliant brand...yet (I have to orders name and i'm giving him a list this weekend to see if he can bring some things to the store I need).  So for me it's, bacon (or a similar protein) with a serving of veggie, all potatoes are good now :-)  and just incase I can't finish the whole thing I'm allowing myself to have a 1 serving of fruit in the morning, but plan to whittle this down next week.  I hope this helps :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

@Lalapanzi keep in mind that bacon is more fat than protein. You'll still need another protein source.

Leftovers are easy, or grilled chicken if you like mild flavored stuff in the morning. Meatballs, salmon cakes, tuna, try different things and see what works for you.

Sometimes it helps to think on terms of meal1, meal2, and meal3, rather than breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It just reinforces that a meal is a meal, there aren't special foods for any of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@kmr1001 Looks like your post was a couple of weeks ago, so you're probably old hat at this by now! But I thought I would throw my two cents in anyway. I came across a recipe for a "porridge" made from eggs, zucchini, almond milk, banana and flax seed. Not the most ideal W30 breakfast (in my context not a trigger because I don't really eat cereal), but I've been off the wagon for a while and, like you, I was struggling to eat early in the morning. It was very mild and light so it worked well for me. My plan (as I'm preparing for another round of W30) is to ease myself back into true W30 practices. Plus I'm still using up some perishable non-compliant stuff and I refuse to waste food. 

Anyway, I digress. The "porridge" took 15-20 minutes to make and was not ideal for me due to time constraints. So I sort of morphed it. Now I combine bananas, pumpkin (or cooked sweet potato), shredded zucchini, eggs, almond milk, flax seeds and a dash of cinnamon in the blender. Pour it into a 13x9 dish, top with some tart frozen berries and bake, then portion into containers for the week. It works well for me because it still tastes light and mild, but has all of the components. I'm also going to play with adding some spinach or kale to the mix for more veggies. 

I post this one: to give you another suggestion you might be able to palate in the morning, and two: to check in with the moderators to make sure this is a compliant breakfast for those of us struggling in the morning? Eventually I plan to transition back to my eggs and veggie hash, I'm just not there yet. <_<

Link to post
Share on other sites

On days I don't want to eat breakfast (they happen) I eat salmon cakes from Mel Joulwan's website. I probably could eat a whole recipe in one sitting but I don't. I also eat whatever veggies I have leftover in the fridge, but if that seems too dense, try a blended soup. Basically, you'll feel and functions lot better if you eat a compliant meal within an hour of waking. And it should hold you for 4-5 hours. Keep trying to get breakfast in earlier. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, decker_bear said:

@kmr1001 Looks like your post was a couple of weeks ago, so you're probably old hat at this by now! But I thought I would throw my two cents in anyway. I came across a recipe for a "porridge" made from eggs, zucchini, almond milk, banana and flax seed. Not the most ideal W30 breakfast (in my context not a trigger because I don't really eat cereal), but I've been off the wagon for a while and, like you, I was struggling to eat early in the morning. It was very mild and light so it worked well for me. My plan (as I'm preparing for another round of W30) is to ease myself back into true W30 practices. Plus I'm still using up some perishable non-compliant stuff and I refuse to waste food. 

Anyway, I digress. The "porridge" took 15-20 minutes to make and was not ideal for me due to time constraints. So I sort of morphed it. Now I combine bananas, pumpkin (or cooked sweet potato), shredded zucchini, eggs, almond milk, flax seeds and a dash of cinnamon in the blender. Pour it into a 13x9 dish, top with some tart frozen berries and bake, then portion into containers for the week. It works well for me because it still tastes light and mild, but has all of the components. I'm also going to play with adding some spinach or kale to the mix for more veggies. 

I post this one: to give you another suggestion you might be able to palate in the morning, and two: to check in with the moderators to make sure this is a compliant breakfast for those of us struggling in the morning? Eventually I plan to transition back to my eggs and veggie hash, I'm just not there yet. <_<

Nope, the faux porridge is not the most ideal breakfast as recreating any kind of old foods is no beuno. What you're doing with the kind  of souffle thing is in the grey area - and I think the deciding factor would be the proportions - how many eggs per serving? how much fruit? how much fat? how much veg...? If it's fruit &  fat heavy then it's a no.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jmcbn said:

Nope, the faux porridge is not the most ideal breakfast as recreating any kind of old foods is no beuno. What you're doing with the kind  of souffle thing is in the grey area - and I think the deciding factor would be the proportions - how many eggs per serving? how much fruit? how much fat? how much veg...? If it's fruit &  fat heavy then it's a no.

I follow what you're saying. 

The one I made yesterday was 1 banana, 8 eggs, a whole zucchini, 3/4 can of pumpkin, about 2 T. flax seeds, and a dash of cinnamon. Just enough almond milk to get it moving in the blender. For the berries, I only used a few (maybe 1/4 cup?) sprinkled across. I got 3 servings out of it (so just shy of 3 eggs per serving?). Thoughts on that @jmcbn?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, decker_bear said:

I follow what you're saying. 

The one I made yesterday was 1 banana, 8 eggs, a whole zucchini, 3/4 can of pumpkin, about 2 T. flax seeds, and a dash of cinnamon. Just enough almond milk to get it moving in the blender. For the berries, I only used a few (maybe 1/4 cup?) sprinkled across. I got 3 servings out of it (so just shy of 3 eggs per serving?). Thoughts on that @jmcbn?

I'd give a reluctant 'yes' for occasional use - cos, ya know, I'm a killjoy & all that.... ;):rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Whole30 Certified Coach

This may stir up trouble... but this is compliant.  I make it without the garlic and think of it as delightful for breakfast (and I use frozen butternut that comes cubed - big time saver).  I agree with Karen that salmon cakes always seem better than other meats for breakfast.  Maybe some kind of meatball would be good? I've had Mel Joulwan's ginger zucchini soup for meal 1 with various kinds of meatballs.  This summer I've also made a strawberry gazpacho (leave out non compliant ingredients) that is a great way to get in lots of veggies in the AM that I've eaten with, again, a Mexican themed meatball. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, littleg said:

This may stir up trouble... but this is compliant.  I make it without the garlic and think of it as delightful for breakfast (and I use frozen butternut that comes cubed - big time saver).  I agree with Karen that salmon cakes always seem better than other meats for breakfast.  Maybe some kind of meatball would be good? I've had Mel Joulwan's ginger zucchini soup for meal 1 with various kinds of meatballs.  This summer I've also made a strawberry gazpacho (leave out non compliant ingredients) that is a great way to get in lots of veggies in the AM that I've eaten with, again, a Mexican themed meatball. 

It won't stir up trouble but it's only part of a template meal... since it's a starchy carb, it's a fist sized serving at most per meal... you still need the protein and fat... i've heard it IS delish tho!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

I'd give a reluctant 'yes' for occasional use - cos, ya know, I'm a killjoy & all that.... ;):rolleyes:

HAHA Okay, you just joined my list of "favorite moderators" just because that response was HILARIOUS. My intention was simply to transition back into my previous W30 breakfasting (which I can't stomach right now), so maybe I'll just do it for now and then abandon it come W30 time. Thank you!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.