GIGANTIC Top Round

Susan W

I purchased a huge top round from Costco yesterday. Not grass fed, but VERY lean looking. It's just under 5 lbs and almost 4 inches thick. I am used to top rounds being thinner and more like a thick flank. Any ideas how to cook this sucker? I wanted to roast it so I could have non-deli roast beef, but I'm almost thinking it's to thick and big. I don't want dry tough meat. I see some paleo peeps slicing theirs and cooking them in a pan with coconut oil. That's not really what I had in mind. I want thin roast beef for my lettuce wraps! :) Anyone ever cook such a dinosaur sized top round?

Edit to add: Tom, I am searching your recipe site. I have landed on Slow Cooker Loin Tip roast which seems similar in size, so I may do that. I could always have pulled beef for my beloved beef lettuce wraps.

That's what I did. I had a 3 lb. pork roast and put it i the crock pot with celery, onion and some spices I like and cooked it for 8 or more hours. It turned out great for pulled pork.

Okay, that is what I will do then. I had this vision of it roasting in the oven, but crockpot will do. :)

I did a Costco meat shop today, too, but I opted for the package of 2 eye round. Longer and smaller diameter. Both together weighed just under 5#. I just cooked the slightly larger one at 325 for 70 min. Perfect M/R. Having hot for dinner tonight with asparagus and a sweet potato, then sliced beef for lunch all week. And at M/r, I can even throw a slice in the pan in the morning for a 'steak' and eggs breakfast.

I did a Costco meat shop today, too, but I opted for the package of 2 eye round. Longer and smaller diameter. Both together weighed just under 5#. I just cooked the slightly larger one at 325 for 70 min. Perfect M/R. Having hot for dinner tonight with asparagus and a sweet potato, then sliced beef for lunch all week. And at M/r, I can even throw a slice in the pan in the morning for a 'steak' and eggs breakfast.

I saw those, but when I've tried them, they seem tough. You should see this whopper of a piece of meat. I wonder why I didn't cut it down...hmmm. Duh me! :angry:

Okay, epic fail on the roast. I think Tom's slow cooker must cook at a lower temp than mine. My roast did swell up and shrink lengthwise like he said, but I panicked when I took the temp of it and it said 165. YIKES...I have to admit, all the cooking I do and my definite weak spot is large hunks of beef. To me, it's gray and tastes like sandpaper. The broth it created is awesome!!! Sigh. I feel like I just made a great broth with a HUGE hunk of meat. :angry:

Edit to add: It tastes like liver and not in a good way.

When I was kid, if a roast was too tough, my mother would mince it and make a shepherd's pie. If you're not too keen on the flavour. could you mince it and make a chilli or curry sauce and add it to that? I hate to see things go to waste :)

When I was kid, if a roast was too tough, my mother would mince it and make a shepherd's pie. If you're not too keen on the flavour. could you mince it and make a chilli or curry sauce and add it to that? I hate to see things go to waste :)

Eww on the shepherds pie. I lived in England for a year and that was my least favorite thing ever! Steak and Kidney was a close second. I'll figure something out. I won't throw it out. I want to though. :) Thinking about the dog shelter thing. It is 5 lbs after all.

Wish I would have seen this thread earlier. Top Round Roast is great for sliced roast beef, but I think the crock-pot is the wrong appliance for this cut of meat. I prefer to use a grill, but oven will also work.

Next time rub it with a simple herb and garlic rub, then grill roast, or use an oven, with a temperature of about 375F. Cook the roast to internal temperature of about 135F, the let roast rest for at least 30 minutes. Then here is the key for such a lean roast: you need slice as thinly as possible, preferably using a mechanical slicer. The thinner the slices, the more tender it will be.

Since you have already chopped it up, you could also now fry some of it with with onions, peppers and mushrooms and you'd have a cheeseless - cheesesteak! Served over a bed of baby spinach would make for a great dinner.

--eric

Wish I would have seen this thread earlier. Top Round Roast is great for sliced roast beef, but I think the crock-pot is the wrong appliance for this cut of meat. I prefer to use a grill, but oven will also work.

Next time rub it with a simple herb and garlic rub, then grill roast, or use an oven, with a temperature of about 375F. Cook the roast to internal temperature of about 135F, the let roast rest for at least 30 minutes. Then here is the key for such a lean roast: you need slice as thinly as possible, preferably using a mechanical slicer. The thinner the slices, the more tender it will be.

Since you have already chopped it up, you could also now fry some of it with with onions, peppers and mushrooms and you'd have a cheeseless - cheesesteak! Served over a bed of baby spinach would make for a great dinner.

--eric

You know, my plan was to roast it, but it seemed so darn lean that I decided the most environment of the slow cooker would be the way to go. Wrong! I tried it in a lettuce wrap, but it's all so grey and liverish, that I can't do it. It's a thing of the past. :) I sent it with my daughter to give to her friend who owns a huge golden retreiver and eats home cooked dog food. It would have taken my Chihuahua 8 years to eat it all. Plus, I didn't feel like seeing it every day. I rarely have kitchen tragedies, but this was certainly one. Oh well..moving on. :) Going to get another one and roasting it in the oven.

Archived