Sara's Post-Whole30

Sarasaurus

So, 45 days done, today was Day 1 for reintroduction. I'm pretty much following the reintroduction timeline as prescribed, so started with legumes today in the form of peanut butter and peas. I felt totally fine after the peanut butter (good thing, since I had it in my preWO first thing this morning). I had a good sized serving of peas for dinner, and have been feeling pretty bloated/gassy since. However, I'm not sure this can be attributed to the peas since the pork was a 'new' thing for me (hadn't had it before on W30) and I also ate a larger dinner than I should have... really I ate more overall today than I needed. I think I'll need to give peas another shot in the future.

PreWO: 2 slices deli turkey, 1 oz peanut butter

PostWO: 1 slice deli turkey

Meal 1: broccoli, 3 XL eggs, sweet potato, 1 oz peanut butter, iced coffee w/ almond milk

Meal 2: hamburger patty, guac, green beans w/ coconut oil

Meal 3: pulled pork, guac, peas, sweet potato, 2 figs

Workout: Crossfit

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reintro Day 2

I had more of the pulled pork today for lunch and felt fine afterward, so I think the peas may have been the culprit yesterday. I also overcorrected a bit today after feeling like I overate yesterday - I felt hungry early for both lunch and dinner. I think this was also due to running late this morning and grabbing (compliant) deli turkey for my breakfast protein instead of the eggs I had planned to cook. I've decided to reintroduce corn and soy separately, and I'm thinking corn will be next since I can get some fresh local corn on the cob right now.

Meal 1: 5 slices deli turkey, green beans and sweet potato w/ coconut oil, iced coffee w/ almond milk

Meal 2: pulled pork, guac, broccoli w/ coconut oil

Meal 3: roast beef, horseradish mayo, nectarine, green beans, dill pickle, kombucha

Workout: none

I find that pulled pork is just ... dense, calorically speaking.  I also have some mild trouble with tomatoes, and since it can be tomato intensive, have some issues there.  I rarely have reactions to things immediately after eating them.  Instead, something I ate yesterday may make me gassy today or even tonight.  It's worth doing a "beet trial" to see how long things take to move through your system.  (Beets will turn your poop red...)

ThyPeace, possibly more than you wanted to know.

Thanks, ThyPeace. You're right about the pork being calorically dense - it's very fatty and not something I'll choose to eat regularly again. It's just plain (smoked) pork, though, no tomatoes or sauce added. I was really gassy again today (TMI, I know), so much that I felt like I had stomach cramps after working out (was hoping the workout would help move things along, and it eventually did, but yeesh). Thanks for the beet suggestion... hadn't thought of that but it would be good info to have. And I have beets in the fridge!

Reintro Day 3

Meal 1: green beans w/ coconut oil, 2 eggs, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, iced coffee w/ almond milk

Meal 2: pulled pork, guac, broccoli w/ coconut oil, handful of blueberries

PreWO: hb egg w/ mayo

Meal 3: sauteed spinach, 2 figs, coconut butter

I made myself eat Meal 2 and PreWO as normal, even though my stomach was already so uncomfortable, but a template Meal 3 just wasn't going to happen. I am feeling better now, though still not great. Tomorrow would have been my next scheduled day for a reintroduction but I'm going to wait until my current issues are sorted out.

Finally remembered to weigh myself this morning! I lost 5 lbs but based on how I feel and fit into my clothes, and the comments others have made, I think my body composition has changed much more significantly.

Lol thanks littleg... I had a pack of LoveBeets in the fridge so I had those with dinner tonight. The experiment begins!

I posted every day during my W45 and intended to do the same for reintroduction, but missed yesterday. I think I can remember...

Reintro Day 4

Meal 1: sauteed spinach and onions, 2 eggs, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, iced coffee w/ almond milk

Meal 2: 2 hb eggs, pistachios, mixed fruit (apples, grapes, strawberries)

Meal 3: pulled pork, guac, broccoli w/ coconut oil, handful of blueberries

Meal 3: 2 figs, ???

OK, I can't remember everything but that's close. I was stuck in the field for work later than expected so cobbled together a passable lunch from the eggs I'd brought and the compliant stuff I could find at 7-Eleven. I ended up eating my planned lunch late, around 4:30, so wasn't really hungry for dinner later (I know I ate something besides figs, just can't remember what). Was pretty bloated/gassy feeling again yesterday and decided it's the pork... seems weird but I can't think of anything else. Decided to not eat any more of it and see how things go.

Reintro Day 5

Meal 1: sauteed spinach and onions, seared salmon, mayo

Meal 2: green beans, beef sausage, mayo/mustard dip, blueberries

Snack: 2 hb egg w/ mayo, blueberries

Meal 3: small portion of green beans, ground beef w/ tomato sauce, mayo, BEETS

Stomach issues were much better today! I think that points to the pork again as the culprit. Maybe because it's so fatty? Regardless, I'm still not eating any more of it and plan to go ahead with reintroduction tomorrow with dairy, since I have some yogurt in the fridge.

Reintro Day 6

Meal 1: green beans, 3 eggs, coconut butter

Meal 2: broccoli, beef sausage, mayo/mustard dip, blueberries

Meal 3: sauteed zucchini and yellow squash, 2 tiny potatoes, ground beef w/ tomato sauce + extra olive oil, coconut butter

Reconsidered the dairy reintro... I'm doing an obstacle race in two days and was worried that if I had any bad digestive reaction I might still be dealing with it while trying to run/climb/crawl/etc. Now planning for dairy on Sunday. Felt really good again today, no stomach issues  :)  Beets have not yet made their reappearance...

Yes! I did the same one last year (fairly small/local 5K race) and am planning for a Spartan Sprint in September! Any tips?

Reintro Day 7

Meal 1: broccoli w/ coconut oil, seared salmon, mayo w/ lemon juice

Meal 2: sauteed zucchini and yellow squash, ground beef w/ tomato sauce, blueberries

Meal 3: 5 slices deli turkey, mayo and guac, 2 figs, green beans w/ coconut oil

Ate lunch way late today so dinner was on the small side. I'm really looking forward to getting through reintroductions so I can loosen up a bit - my birthday gift to my boyfriend was tickets to a play tonight and it's restaurant week in town so I had hoped to do dinner also, but still needing to be strict W30 there's no way.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

If you do Crossfit you'll be better off than most of the women there!  Lots of walls to climb over, jungle gym type stuff, rock carries, etc so all that upper body strength will come in handy.  Practice your burpees ;)  If you don't cheat and do the 30 burpees for each obstacle you fail they can add up!   Have fun!

Thanks! The race yesterday went well, I felt really good and definitely stronger than last year doing the same race. I was too beat yesterday to post, so:

Reintro Day 8

Meal 1: sauteed spinach, beef sausage, mayo

Meal 2: sauteed zucchini and yellow squash, ground beef w/ tomato sauce, blueberries

Meal 3: can't remember, it was something small because Meal 2 was very late

Workout: 5K obstacle race

I went ahead with dairy reintroduction today, yogurt at breakfast and lunch and cheese at  dinner. I have noticed any effects... maybe a little gas but it's very minor and could just be normal. Looking back at my digestive symptoms and diet over the past ~55 days I think I need to start a magnesium supplement - I was more regular when eating greens  (high in magnesium) frequently and started having bloating/constipation issues when I got tired of them and switched to other veggies. The beet experiment ended (ahem) Saturday morning, which means ~2.5 days to get through my system... seems like a long time. Also interesting, I weighed myself again this morning and was down another 4 lbs from last week. I know I didn't lose 4 lbs in a week, so I'm wondering if the scale just didn't give a good reading last week (it's digital). A 9-10 lb loss seems more in line with how I feel and the changes I've seen in my body. 

Reintro Day 9

Meal 1: sauteed spinach, 1/2 beef sausage, mayo, plain full-fat Greek yogurt

Meal 2: sauteed zucchini and yellow squash, ground beef w/ tomato sauce, blueberries, plain full-fat Greek yogurt

Meal 3: seared salmon, mayo, broccoli w/ coconut oil, 1oz. sharp cheddar, coconut butter

Reintro Day 10

Meal 1: sauteed spinach, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, 2 eggs, drizzle of olive oil, iced coffee w/ almond milk

Meal 2: Larabar, Shine Organics packet, (later) 3 slices deli turkey w/ mayo, handful of blueberries

Meal 3: 2 hot dogs w/ horseradish mayo, green beans w/ coconut oil, coconut butter

Got to work this morning and had about 10 minutes' notice that I'd be in the field until well after lunchtime... my packed lunch needed to be eaten hot which wouldn't be possible, so I dipped into my emergency stash. It made for too much fruit/sugar in Meal 2, but still compliant. I had the turkey and mayo when I got back to the office (I generally keep that in the work fridge as my preWO snack) and realized I should keep a small cooler lunchbox and ice pack at work also, to be able to take a cold protein with me on a day like today. Good lesson. 

One of my field visits was with a very nice older couple who insisted we stay for a glass of tea and cookies... the tea was super sweet (of course!) so I took a couple sips to be polite and since we were outside I was able to dump the rest of it out pretty inconspicuously (I hope). The "cookies" were a no-bake combination of cereal, Karo syrup(!!), peanut butter, and dog-knows-what-else... I was starving by then but even pre-W30 wouldn't have touched those :unsure: Guess that makes today my reintroduction of sugar.

I'm pleasantly surprised I've had no reaction at all to the dairy yesterday. I think the Greek yogurt and cheddar cheese are probably not the most likely to set off a reaction, though, so at some point I'll probably have a big glass of whole milk for a more 'extreme' test. I rarely consumed cow's milk pre-W30 but I want to have as much info on my reactions as possible. Wednesday will be my next reintro, not sure yet if it will be corn or other non-gluten grains.

Reintro Day 11

Meal 1: sauteed kale/broccoli/cabbage, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, 2 eggs, drizzle of olive oil, iced coffee w/ almond milk

Snack: 2 slices deli turkey w/ mayo, blueberries

Meal 3: roast beef, horseradish mayo, green beans w/ coconut oil, baked sweet potato

I went to the natural foods store near my office today looking for Natural Calm. They had it but it seemed expensive so I got a few of the packets to experiment with and will order it online if it seems to be helping. I also found compliant beef jerky and some Epic products on sale (beef tallow and a bacon trail mix)!

Reintro Day 12

Meal 1: green beans w/ coconut oil, beef sausage, mayo, iced coffee w/ almond milk

Meal 2: 2 hb eggs, Epic bacon/nut "trail mix", 2 raw carrots, guac, Shine Organics pouch

PreWO: 3 slices deli turkey w/ mayo/guac

Meal 3: roast beef, horseradish mayo, roasted asparagus, baked sweet potato, coconut butter

Planning on non-gluten grains reintroduction tomorrow. I've had a hard time coming up with how to eat them, since I rarely had them preW30 anyway (but I still want to know how they affect me). Had some farro in the pantry and got a little brown rice from a friend so I didn't have to buy a whole box.

Reintro Day 13

Meal 1: green beans w/ coconut oil, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, 1 egg, farro w/ coconut milk, iced coffee w/ almond milk

Meal 2: broccoli w/ coconut oil, 2 hot dogs w/ mayo and mustard, 1/2 cup brown rice w/ olive oil, blueberries

Meal 3: roast beef, horseradish mayo, roasted asparagus, 1/2 cup brown rice w/ olive oil, hb egg

Reintroduced non-gluten grains today and didn't feel any ill effects, except for being annoyed that I was missing out on veggies to eat rice instead! My next reintro day will be Sunday, which is also the day of a family cookout, so my choice of what to reintroduce next may depend on what's on the menu.

Reintro Day 14

Meal 1: green beans w/ coconut oil, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, 2 eggs, iced coffee w/ almond milk

Meal 2: broccoli w/ coconut oil, 2 hot dogs w/ mayo and mustard, carrot sticks w/ guac, blueberries

Snack: 2 slices deli turkey, guac

Meal 3: steak w/ horseradish mayo, asparagus, zucchini

This was yesterday, didn't post because I was headed out to my boyfriend's place to watch the meteor shower (and he had a nice compliant meal for me :)). I'm planning to reintroduce corn tomorrow, since corn on the cob will likely be on the menu for the cookout. It's interesting to me that I've had no significant negative reactions so far to anything I've reintroduced, although gluten, soy, and maybe corn are still to come and probably the worst. While it would be nice to know I don't need to worry about particular foods/ingredients making me feel bad, I think it will also make it more of a challenge moving forward to know that I won't have any immediate feeling-bad effects from eating foods that aren't the best.

Reintro Day 15

Meal 1: sauteed spinach, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, 2 eggs, iced coffee w/ almond milk

Meal 2: 2 hot dogs w/ mayo and mustard, sauteed yellow squash

Meal 3: 4 slices deli turkey, guac, baked sweet potato

This morning was hectic so Meal 1 was late, so Meal 2 was late, so Meal 3 was late and small.

Reintro Day 15

Meal 1: sauteed spinach, 2 eggs, corn tortilla chips, iced coffee w/ almond milk

Meal 2: pork ribs, green beans

Meal 3: corn tortilla chips, guac, watermelon

Reintroduced corn today. No ill effects so far, but unfortunately instead of plain corn on the cob we had corn pudding at the cookout... which is noncompliant in several ways so I had to skip it. I was really hoping to test fresh/whole corn in addition to the chips, dang it. The ribs already had sauce on them so I scraped off as much of it as possible. 

All of my meals were late again today, and I was doing a lot of prep this evening, so Meal 3 was not very substantial but feels like enough considering how late it is. I weighed myself this morning (I weigh once a week) and was a little surprised that I'm down another pound from last week, considering the reintroductions and lack of workouts this week. It also coincided with my period ending, so could just be a little water weight. Regardless, I'm really happy with how my body has responded to the changes I've made and I'm looking forward to being back on my normal workout schedule next week!

Reintro Day 15

Meal 1: sauteed spinach, 2 eggs, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, iced coffee w/ almond milk

Meal 2: shredded chicken thighs, carrot/tomato curry sauce, green beans, watermelon

PreWO: 1 slice deli turkey, mayo

Meal 3: seared salmon w/ caper mayo, sweet potato, sauteed zucchini and yellow squash, watermelon

Twisted my ankle at crossfit tonight and although I finished the workout it's still hurting... hopefully it doesn't keep me out of the gym any longer, I need to be working out consistently again! I was in the field in the am and had a late lunch so didn't feel the need for much PreWO, and still felt good just out of the gym rhythm. My birthday is in two days so I'll be going out for a couple of meals... my next scheduled reintroduction day is on my birthday, so I'm planning on gluten grains which should set me up for dining out without having to bypass everything special! That means I'll probably have some reintroduced foods again before fully completing my reintroductions, but since soy will be the only one left and I've already done legumes, I'm not too worried about it.  I'll go back to strict compliance for a couple days and then knock it out.

Reintro Day 16

Meal 1: sauteed spinach, 2 eggs, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, iced coffee w/ almond milk

Meal 2: sauteed zucchini and yellow squash, chocolate chili, guac

Snack: 1 slice deli turkey w/ mayo

Meal 3: seared salmon, sweet potato w/ coconut, sauteed zucchini and yellow squash, watermelon

Yesterday... my ankle is worse than I thought/hoped, sore and swollen today, so no working out :angry:

Reintro Day 17

Meal 1: sauteed spinach, 2 eggs, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, 2 crackers, iced coffee w/ almond milk

Meal 2: shredded chicken thighs, carrot/tomato curry sauce, green beans w/ coconut oil, watermelon, wheat crackers

Snack: 2 slices deli turkey w mayo, a few crackers

Meal 3: chocolate chili, guac, sauteed zucchini and yellow squash, watermelon, wheat crackers

Reintroduced gluten today. I had some bread in the freezer and crackers in the pantry that I planned to use, but discovered that both had tiny amounts of soy. I ate a couple of the crackers at breakfast anyway but they were stale and I didn't even want them to start with. Went out at lunch and got a box of Ritz-type organic wheat crackers and had a good sized serving with lunch and a few more with my snack and dinner. Haven't noticed any dramatic effects. I do feel sort of heavy/sluggish but that may well be from only working out once in the past week, plus the fact that I've been reintroducing foods that aren't as healthy (even if they don't cause a major reaction).

• Whole30 Certified Coach
14 hours ago, Sarasaurus said:

Yesterday... my ankle is worse than I thought/hoped, sore and swollen today, so no working out :angry:

If it turns out to be bad... don't give up!  I got a stress fracture in my ankle a few years ago and was doing CrossFit at the time.  I still went to the gym 4-5 days a week - no jumping or explosive ankle movement but I still managed to do 75% of the WODs with subs.  Think of it as a time to work on your upperbody movements :) 

Thanks for the encouragement littleg! I know it's not anything as bad as a stress fracture; I was hopping down off the 20" box, landed awkwardly on the side of my foot and rolled my ankle with all my weight coming down on it. I can walk fine but wouldn't want to run on it, and the swelling is still preventing enough range of motion for a squat (it was definitely getting better today though!).

Reintro Day 18

Meal 1: sauteed spinach, 2 eggs, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, drizzle of olive oil, iced coffee w/ almond milk

Meal 2: spinach salad w/ strawberries and goat cheese, balsamic vinaigrette, 2 meatballs w/ marinara sauce, watermelon

Snack: 2 slices deli turkey w mayo

Meal 3: chocolate chili, sauteed zucchini and yellow squash, beets, mayo, watermelon

Went out for lunch with some coworkers today at an Italian place. My meal was obviously not W30 compliant with cheese and (I'm assuming) breadcrumbs in the meatballs, sugar in the marinara, etc. Maybe soy in there somewhere too. At this point I feel comfortable moving forward eating generally compliant meals but not stressing over things like that, especially since I've had no negative reactions during reintroduction. I'm going out for a nice dinner tomorrow night for my birthday, and will be at an overnight work event with very limited food options for 2 days next week. At some point after I get back I'll do a few strict days and then a full soy reintroduction, and then I'll call it done and officially start "riding my own bike".  My plan is to come back to this log when I notice something I want to keep track of, or if I'm veering off and need to get myself back on track, but I think I'm done with daily posting (at least for now!)!

Went out last night for a nice birthday dinner and really enjoyed it - we ended up ordering a little more food than we could finish and leaving food (especially expensive, delicious food) on my plate is actually a victory for me. I was still SO full, but I even left almost half of my dessert without much of a second thought, which is not something I'd have done pre-W30. The dessert was my first sweet/dessert in about 2 months, and it was very good, but it didn't make me sugar-crazed the way I thought it might. I did have some gas and my stomach just felt kind of unsettled afterwards, but I wasn't surprised after eating that quantity of rich food.

Rock climbing today and although my ankle is still sore, it didn't give me any problems!

Archived