Julia's second time around

melyhegedu

I'm starting my 2nd Whole 30 tomorrow, August 1. My first one was in September 2014. I had such amazing results that I was able to clean up my eating habits for the most part and continue a healthy routine with occasional treats and such. Then, a stressful time disrupted everything and I stopped caring. It's time to care again. I have a plan for success this time around and I'm looking forward to an amazing August! I'm important enough to be happy and healthy for the rest of my life. Tomorrow I will post my meals and my goals for my first day!

I weighed myself this morning and now the scale is put away until August 31. Breakfast is leftover salmon with spinach and scrambled eggs. I tried the idea of a bit of coconut oil in my black coffee! Not bad, but the jury is out. My sister is doing this with me so she sent me a text first thing to get me going! Going for a walk this morning before it gets hot out. I am going to call the personal trainer at the gym and set up a month of workouts! I haven't been to the gym in ages. This is a hard one for me. I'm embarrassed to talk to the trainer.

Welcome back! 

You are doing so many things right to set yourself up for success!

-  breakfast was compliant and a victory

-  as tough as it was, you made an appointment with a trainer AND scheduled sessions to last thru the month

-  you weighed yourself and then put the scale away

-  you tried something new - coconut oil in your coffee

-  you've got a partner in this

-  you're in a good space mentally and emotionally, in that you recognize it's time to start caring again

-  you went for a walk (and planned it according to the best time weather-wise)

-  you're here on the forum

We're all cheering you on and I look forward to seeing your progress.

You've got this!  :)

On to day 2. Carnitas were awesome! Leftovers for Taco Tuesday! Breakfast today TBD, some combo of egg, veg. and avocado. Lunch protein salad. Going to make a pot of chili for tomorrow, maybe more carnitas because I have half a hunk of pork left over.

In the meantime, got in a huge fight with my husband and we haven't spoken this morning. I think my desire to change things up and get physically and mentally strong and healthy has made me overcritical of him. Every day is a journey, as they say.

I'm getting the crankies big time. Everything is bugging me. Husband and I made up at least. In spite of everything, I managed to stay on plan and today is Day 3! Carnitas are devoured so batch 2 is going in this morning. I have an appointment with the trainer at the gym this morning, too, to develop a plan for the rest of the month. I think the month is going to go by really quickly.

This whole 30 is going by the book. Cranky on day 2. Tired on day 3. I'm ready for day 4. There is a recipe I want to try from the Whole 30 recipe Facebook page: buffalo chicken breakfast casserole. I'm going to put that together then go for a hike up Pilot Butte this morning. It's a cinder cone that gains 1000' in just under a mile. Outdoor stairmaster! Lessons from day 3:

1. I need to budget for healthy extras. The trainer is going to be worth it, but 10 sessions was $499.

2. Drink more water. I got a headache yesterday. I thought it was because I didn't eat enough lunch, but even after a snack it didn't go away until I drank a quart of water.

3. Have a contingency plan for boredom. I had a student cancel yesterday and found myself with unexpected down time. (I'm a music teacher)

On to day 4. Overnight camping trip. Challenge to find interesting campout dinner and breakfast. Not just sausages.

Day 6. No cravings so far. Camping trip was fun and on plan! I didn't miss wine around the campfire one bit, and I slept so well. We had steak and potatoes for dinner. I roasted the potatoes at home and wrapped them in foil. Threw them on the coals and they were perfect! There was steak and eggs for breakfast besides. I am feeling so positive right now. Tiger blood should start kicking in soon, especially when I start hitting the gym again.

Day 7 here. This week has been a lot easier than I remember my first week was the first time around. After about day 4 or 5, I stopped feeling hungry mid afternoon. I don't crave anything, especially wine. I'm so excited to get going on week 2, starting with the gym tomorrow morning.

Here I am on day 11, starting to get in the groove. I promised myself to journal here but am having more fun with a Facebook group I joined. Cruised through another overnight campout, started with the trainer (so far not totally impressed and will have to talk with him), and my only slips were a mid-afternoon Larabar yesterday when I found myself with another cancelled lesson and a free hour not planned for, and not enough dinner last night led to a handful of cashews later. Today a boating trip and visit with a friend who does not know I'm doing Whole 30 yet! Not thinking about the next 19 days, just today and planning for tomorrow!

So far this is the most empowering Whole 30 experience I could have imagined. It helped having a friend visit who I found is also doing a strict diet plan and who is completely transforming her life after a painful divorce. I got a big job offer out of the blue, for a good salary. But I am going to turn it down and enjoy my (retirement) self-employed status! When I turned 60 I decided that it was all about quality. Not overpacked classrooms of hormone-riddled middle school students. Day 13 feels like a new beginning! Bring on the picnic tomorrow, bring on the trainer on Monday, on to the next two weeks.

Day 16 is here, the final two weeks ahead! I went to a bar for the first time last night. It was boring. So I left. My challenge for the next two weeks is to make a new recipe as often as possible to keep things fresh. I need to go to the grocery store. Last night I was in a hurry so dinner was salmon burger and salad. Not enough to eat. Starving this morning. Pot of chili going in this afternoon. New recipe search on for tomorrow's dinner.

Day 19 is here already! I am feeling the fabled tiger blood! Definitely loving this round of Whole 30!! I feel so much more capable of living my own life the way I choose, rather than others' ideas of what is right or wrong. I have been so intimidated by others' opinions. When I said no to that job, it changed something inside me. Excited for the future!

Recipe search has been going really well. By day 20 of my last W30 I was eating the same thing at every meal: hunk of meat, steamed vegetables and a sweet potato. I made the jicama home fries from Well Fed 1. They are my new fave! Tonight is leftovers and tomorrow I'm making my favorite Thai red curry with sunflower butter instead of peanut. Mae Ploy curry paste is compliant!

Day 22. I had a dentist appt. this morning so didn't go to the gym to meet the trainer til 11. I had breakfast right after the dentist, around 9, so only 2 hours between that and workout. I was sluggish and not as much energy as first thing in the morning. Now trying to have a salad for lunch but not interested! Maybe turkey burger instead with lots of lettuce and tomato. Or zucchini noodles and meatballs?

The hardest part is staying motivated this last week. I'm going to have something new for dinner every night this week instead of a slab of protein with whatever veggie goes into the steamer.

• 2 weeks later...

It's day 30 and I did not cheat, did not get on the scale, went back to the gym and generally feel like I have accomplished what I set out to do this month. I think I will just stay whole 30-ish for the time being, maybe have a glass of wine tomorrow to celebrate. Vacation coming up next week, which means restaurants and camping food. Then back on Whole 15 for the rest of September.

Bye til next round.

Julia

Archived