What kinds of tea can I have?

Sarah Liz

I'm starting my Whole 30 tomorrow and going shopping tonight. I really like tea and would like to have a cup in the mornings. Is just herbal tea ok? Other types?

[sidenote: I tried searching the forum but it doesn't let you have a search term that is under 4 characters.]

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I've made my Starbucks favorite (dirty chai) Whole30 compliant and it's not bad! It's brewed Tazo chai tea (no bad additives that I could find) with a shot of espresso only. I added a dash of cinnamon too. Anyone else tried this?

I've no Tazo, but I've various chai teas that are compliant. I've never ever thought of adding an espresso to them but I'm tempted :). Does it really taste nice?

I've made my Starbucks favorite (dirty chai) Whole30 compliant and it's not bad! It's brewed Tazo chai tea (no bad additives that I could find) with a shot of espresso only. I added a dash of cinnamon too. Anyone else tried this?

Drools. That sounds incredible. I've been looking for a way to drink coffee without coconut...anything and I've just discovered the yumminess of Tazo chai. What an amazing sounding combo!

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if Tazo Vanilla Rooibos is ok? It's got vanilla extract listed as an ingredient, but I'm not sure if it's pure extract...I know pure vanilla/almond/etc. extracts are whole30-compliant. Thoughts?

PS trying that Chai/Espresso combo next time I'm at Starbucks. It sounds divine!

I found any kind of tea with ginger or made from fresh ginger to be essential in the first days.

My husband loves his dirty chai so much that he got an espresso maker. I may suggest one when he returns from his business trip. What brand of chai do you guys have at home?

We have found that Stash and Numi are safe, at least in the flavors we have purchased.

Does anyone know if Tazo Vanilla Rooibos is ok? It's got vanilla extract listed as an ingredient, but I'm not sure if it's pure extract...I know pure vanilla/almond/etc. extracts are whole30-compliant. Thoughts?

PS trying that Chai/Espresso combo next time I'm at Starbucks. It sounds divine!

Just a warning, I tried this tea one day when I was at Starbucks after I finished my whole 30 and couldn't even finish it because it tasted soooo sweet to me. There is no added sugar but the natural sweetness of the licorice root was overpowering. May have been that my palate was more sensitive after the W30 of no sugar though.

Just a warning, I tried this tea one day when I was at Starbucks after I finished my whole 30 and couldn't even finish it because it tasted soooo sweet to me. There is no added sugar but the natural sweetness of the licorice root was overpowering. May have been that my palate was more sensitive after the W30 of no sugar though.

My daughter lurves this tea. I think it tastes like a scented candle smells. Ick. She bought some to have at home. Didn't I notice stevia in the ingredients?

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered a Vanilla Roobios tea at Starbucks the other day because I wanted something different from black coffee (so boring) and it tasted REALLY sweet to me, too! So I asked...here are the ingredients and they swore they didn't add any additional sweetener: ROOIBOS, LICORICE ROOT, BLACKBERRY LEAVES, CINNAMON, APPLE PIECES, PEACH PIECES, VANILLA EXTRACT, CHAMOMILE FLOWERS.

Being that the licorice root is the second ingredient could explain the extra "sweet"...roobios in and of itself is pretty "sweet" in my opinion. I did notice apple and peach pieces...which could indicate dried fruit (thus sweetener?)...but I think they have to list it, if they use it. No?

Anyway...they promised it was sugar-free (because I acted like it was poison if it had sugar, lol!), so I went with it.

P.S. The Whole30 Dirty Chai sounds A-mazing! I am going to have to try it! The Tazo Chai seems to be compliant, ingredients are: Black Teas, Ginger Root, Cinnamon Bark, Black Pepper, Cardamom Seed, Cloves and Star Anise Seed. Yay for flavorful tea!!

This is so weird. We bought some of this tea from Starbucks because my daughter loves it. It says on the ingredients list that it contains Stevia. We asked if it contained sugar and they said no. I need to remember to call it sweetener and not sugar.

Since we are talking tea..my new all time favorite is Numi Organic Chocolate Puerh. Ingredients: Organic Black Pureh tea, organic cocoa powder, organic vanilla beans, organic Rooibos, organic cinnamon, organic orange peel, organic nutmeg. It is so awesome.

Archived