What kinds of tea can I have?

Sarah Liz

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone heard of Kombucha Wonder Drink and know if that is compliant?

Kombucha is OK.  It should not have any off-plan ingredients.  The regular stuff that sometimes has fruit, ginger, r herbs added can be really good for your system - full of probiotics.  If there is sugar added to the final product or any other weird stuff, I'd go with home-brewed or something like GT's.

So, I looked at one of the Kombucha Wonder Drink flavors:

CONTENTS: Filtered water, organic brewed oolong tea (filtered water, organic oolong tea leaves), organic kombucha (filtered water, organic cane juice, organic oolong tea leaves, yeast and bacteria cultures), organic cane juice, organic ginger extract, organic pear flavoring with other natural flavors, carbonation.

The first organic cane juice in bold is part of the kombucha and is OK.  The second one is added after the tea is made, which is called back-sweetening.  Find one that has it in the parenthesis with the tea, but not outside.

So as long as there's no added sweetener or cream/milk/whatever, is tea fine? I can't imagine why tea in general would be not okay. If I'm wrong, someone please explain why....

a lot of teas have SOY!  i have no clue why, but they do.

i found that the cheap-o store brand green tea is legit - ingredients are nothing but tea leaves - but the fancy ones tend to have lots of stuff added that could be non-compliant.

I stopped drinking the Yogi Mayan Cocoa Spice because it has stevia, but I looked at the ingredients at the store a couple days ago and there was no stevia or sweeteners.  I don't remember seeing stevia listed on the box before, just on the teabags, so I don't know for sure that it is stevia free...  but it might be!  :-)

I stopped drinking the Yogi Mayan Cocoa Spice because it has stevia, but I looked at the ingredients at the store a couple days ago and there was no stevia or sweeteners.  I don't remember seeing stevia listed on the box before, just on the teabags, so I don't know for sure that it is stevia free...  but it might be!  :-)

According to the website, it contains stevia leaf.  :(

Licorice root is really sweet, so my guess is the tea is compliant.

According to the website, the licorice root is the part that makes it sweet. I may grab some of this for my husband.

Was looking for a tea to have after dinner to help squash my sweet cravings (that's the worst time for me) -- found Republic of Tea's "Good Hope Vanilla" -- it's a vanilla flavored rooibos. Ingredients: "rooibos, natural vanilla flavor, vanilla beans."

Am nervous about that "natural vanilla flavor" -- compliant? 

• 9 months later...

I ordered a Vanilla Roobios tea at Starbucks the other day because I wanted something different from black coffee (so boring) and it tasted REALLY sweet to me, too! So I asked...here are the ingredients and they swore they didn't add any additional sweetener: ROOIBOS, LICORICE ROOT, BLACKBERRY LEAVES, CINNAMON, APPLE PIECES, PEACH PIECES, VANILLA EXTRACT, CHAMOMILE FLOWERS.

This would now be whole30 compliant though, right? Because it contains vanilla extract, which I thought is not allowed on whole30?

This would now be whole30 compliant though, right? Because it contains vanilla extract, which I thought is not allowed on whole30?

Assuming this is a typo and you meant "not" and not "now" in this that is correct. Vanilla extract is not compliant on a Whole30

• 4 months later...

I just made a cup of T2 Milky Oolong, and before drinking it checked the ingredients, which are:

Oolong tea

natural and artificial flavors 

Does anyone know what the artificial flavors are -- sweeteners and/or *yikes* milk extract?! I didn't even occur to me this might be off limits, but after looking at the Yogi tea label and being very disappointed to find that what I thought was a  good natural tea, is actually sweetened with stevia, I'm becoming even more jaded about "natural" teas. 

Looked around the web and forum a bit and couldn't find anything. Any help/ guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you!

• Moderators

I just made a cup of T2 Milky Oolong, and before drinking it checked the ingredients, which are:

Oolong tea

natural and artificial flavors 

Does anyone know what the artificial flavors are -- sweeteners and/or *yikes* milk extract?! I didn't even occur to me this might be off limits, but after looking at the Yogi tea label and being very disappointed to find that what I thought was a  good natural tea, is actually sweetened with stevia, I'm becoming even more jaded about "natural" teas. 

Looked around the web and forum a bit and couldn't find anything. Any help/ guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Natural and artificial flavors are allowed on a Whole30. The only way to really know what's in those flavors is to write to the company and ask if they'll tell you. In general, sugar and stevia should be listed as ingredients if they're in there, as should known allergens like soy, dairy, or peanuts.

Thanks Shannon! I think I'm going to write to the company and find out, and I'll let everyone know what they say. Even tho artificial and natural flavors are allowed on the W30, they are a bit triggering when they are unnaturally sweet. And you kinda know (or have an idea) when something is sweeter than it probably should be. but sometimes not: e.g. acorn squash ;)

• 1 year later...

I'm confused by the vanilla extract. Is this tea compliant with the ingredient list previously mentioned (specifically the vanilla extract) ...this is the reason I have not allowed myself this tea but I would love a cup of it is ok!

ROOIBOS, LICORICE ROOT, BLACKBERRY LEAVES, CINNAMON, APPLE PIECES, PEACH PIECES, VANILLA EXTRACT, CHAMOMILE FLOWERS.

Archived