No sugar added apple juice as a sweetener for tea?

amykhigdon

I don't want to drink my fruit, so I'm not asking if I can have a glass of apple juice, but say I make a gallon of tea and add 3/4 cup of no sugar added apple juice to the tea, just for a little natural sweetness. Is that compliant? I don't ever want my tea super sweet, but purely unsweet tea can be bitter. 

I read somewhere that you can add fruit juice to recipes, and it's ok. Would the above be considered adding it to a recipe? 

I'd say no to this.

Fruit just is fine for using in a recipe, but not for drinking. Yes, a splash in some water is okay to add a bit of zing, but if you're wating to sweeten tea I'd say you maybe just need to try a different tea..... Have you considered fruit or herbal teas, or green/white/rooibos rather than black? In the same way that black coffee tastes better when you use a quality coffee, unsweetened tea tastes better when you opt for a good blend.

I'd say no to this.

Fruit just is fine for using in a recipe, but not for drinking. Yes, a splash in some water is okay to add a bit of zing, but if you're wating to sweeten tea I'd say you maybe just need to try a different tea..... Have you considered fruit or herbal teas, or green/white/rooibos rather than black? In the same way that black coffee tastes better when you use a quality coffee, unsweetened tea tastes better when you opt for a good blend.

I do like green tea, but I'm out. I wanted to use the tea I had on hand vs. purchasing something else. I also had apple juice on hand. But, I'll probably just end up drinking the tea unsweetened. I'm on day 24. I'm almost there! :)

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, rocknrollwife said:

My favorite teas are the Mint Majesty from starbucks and Green tea or peppermint tea from Tim Hortons.  I have always enjoyed my tea sweetened with Stevia.  Without it, to me, tastes so gross.

I'm just wondering about any ideas to assist me in changing over to the no sweetner side.

Thx :)

Just do it. I'll bet you that after 3 days you won't even notice the absence of sweetener. Your tastes will change if you give them a chance. 

I find that 2 things can make tea bitter, especially green tea, is steeping too long or using overly hot water which actually burns the tea leaves. For green tea the temperature should be around 82 degrees.  As mentioned above, your taste buds will get used to not using a sweetener in your tea, it just may take a little time to adjust.  Good job on your Whole30!

• Administrators

@rocknrollwife - my suggestion would be to try completely different teas. Rather than trying to force yourself to like an unsweetened tea that you know you prefer sweetened, try one that you don't know what it tastes like. Try a chamomile-citrus or a flavoured rooibos. And when drinking it, instead of thinking "Man, this would taste so much better with honey/stevia", you could try actually tasting it like people do with wine. See what notes you can taste when it's not just covered up by "sweet". What florals, what woodsier tastes. And then resteep the same bag and see how the flavour changes. 

1 hour ago, kruddock said:

I find that 2 things can make tea bitter, especially green tea, is steeping too long or using overly hot water which actually burns the tea leaves. For green tea the temperature should be around 82 degrees.  As mentioned above, your taste buds will get used to not using a sweetener in your tea, it just may take a little time to adjust.  Good job on your Whole30!

I had no idea the water could burn the leaves !!! I try not to steep too long.  I don't like strong tea.

I fell off the wagon so I'm getting back on tomorrow.  I'm getting prep done today so I'm ready for anything!

1 hour ago, rocknrollwife said:

I had no idea the water could burn the leaves !!! I try not to steep too long.  I don't like strong tea.

I think this is more of an issue for green tea & other non-black teas maybe? I was very surprised myself when I learned this (at David's Tea).  They print the steeping temperatures on the tin/package which I find quite helpful but you really do have to read labels to make sure your tea is still compliant with Whole30.

Good job getting back at it, all the best!

• Administrators

Ya, green, white and some oolong for sure have lower steeping temperatures. Herbals and rooibos can be pretty hot. Green tea says 1-2 minutes on the label but even that is too long if you want a nice, mellow, smooth cup of tea. Go for 35-45 seconds.  Note, the correct steeping temp for green/white is 185C....boiling is 220C.....so you can safely do a brief steep of green or white tea with water that is just below boiling. :) 

1 hour ago, kruddock said:

I think this is more of an issue for green tea & other non-black teas maybe? I was very surprised myself when I learned this (at David's Tea).  They print the steeping temperatures on the tin/package which I find quite helpful but you really do have to read labels to make sure your tea is still compliant with Whole30.

Good job getting back at it, all the best!

Thank you :)  I got to day 12 last time and I just buckled.  Im not sure what happened but I think i was just unprepared and i hit the wall.

This time, i'm doing it !!!!

57 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Ya, green, white and some oolong for sure have lower steeping temperatures. Herbals and rooibos can be pretty hot. Green tea says 1-2 minutes on the label but even that is too long if you want a nice, mellow, smooth cup of tea. Go for 35-45 seconds.  Note, the correct steeping temp for green/white is 185C....boiling is 220C.....so you can safely do a brief steep of green or white tea with water that is just below boiling. :) 

I didnt know there was such an art to making tea :) but that's very good to know because I LOVE tea !!!

I'm drinking raspberry mojito from Davids tea right now sans sweetner.  I like it !!! Looking at the label, it looks compliant so I know when I have this when I'm back on plan tomorrow, I'll be good to go.  Ill have to check the Honeycrisp Apple...one of my favorites.

Thx :)

1 hour ago, ladyshanny said:

Haha, yep, there's a whole culture around tea!

And ya, skip the Honeycrisp Apple Green during your Whole30....I looked at that one the other day, has rice flour in it. :( 

No honeyapple tea????  This devastates me !!! But I will live :)

I'll have to research what Davids teas are compliant 

On 30/10/2016 at 10:12 PM, ArtFossil said:

Just do it. I'll bet you that after 3 days you won't even notice the absence of sweetener. Your tastes will change if you give them a chance. 

I still can't stand black tea without milk....it been months of trying. I've given it up.

Archived