2-hour glucose test

I am a year away from having surgery to remove a pituitary tumor that was producing growth hormone. My recent results have shown some possibly-concerning GH levels, so my doctor is requiring me to take a 2-hour glucose suppression test and see if my GH is suppressed once my insulin spikes. If it isn't, that will show that my tumor has recurred. Growth hormone excess is incredibly dangerous, and I cannot put this test off. 

Clearly, straight-up sugar drink is off-program. But I worry that if I treat this test as a failure and something that I have to do to "start over", I will just go off program completely. "I already failed, might as well eat all these donuts and carbs" --> how I see myself thinking :/ 

I'm also worried how my body will react to an influx  of glucose after a week of avoiding it. 

I guess I know the answer, I'm just really bummed about it. 

Doctors orders trump whole30. Maybe talk to your doctor about alternate forms of testing, but I wouldn't avoid the test.

Have some form of template meal ready for as soon as your done. You might feel like crap, but the combination of protein fats and veggies will help

• Moderators

The reality is that medical testing is interrupting your Whole30. The medical testing is important, but there is no way to complete a two-hour glucose test and be Whole30-compliant. You can tell yourself you are adding 30 days to your Whole30 after the test is complete. That would be the kindest way to treat your body. 

Thank you, Tom and Karen. I will speak to my doctor and see if I can put this test off for 3 more weeks.  If not, I'll continue eating whole30 for the rest of the day and hopefully not go off-course thinking I already failed.

I think I am less worried about the whole30 (since nobody is going to arrest me if I don't complete the 30 days, or if I decide to continue eating that way for longer) and more about the results skewing the test or about feeling completely horrible right after the test. I am a big sugar eater, but my body seems to be really good at dealing with huge spikes in insulin. When I had to have the 2-hr glucose test before, I almost fainted from how quickly my blood sugar dropped. 

If I do decide to do it, bringing a template meal with me is an excellent idea!

Archived