Sugar slip up....help!

EmZoe

OK, so this wasn't accidental at all. I've been kicking myself over this for the last four days and wondering if I should start the entire whole 30 over again or just extend my no-sugar rule till the end of the re-introduction p.

On Friday day 13 of my whole 30, I got a new job. Yay! Celebration! Of course, the first thing that came to mind with the idea of celebrating was alcohol and sugary treats. Knowing that I couldn't have those things, I wanted to find a way to reward myself without food. But also, I was starving. Everything in the area I was in was closed except for the Starbucks, so I went in, thinking I'd get their matcha Frappuccino with coconut milk and none of the syrups they usually put in ( I already knew the coconut milk probably wouldn't be compliant, but it sounded so yummy and I really needed something that felt substantial and like a treat, so I lied to myself and said it would be fine.) But after I ordered, I watched the batista make the drink and saw her put syrup in it. I knew there was sugar in there. But I didn't care. I drank almost half of it before I came to my senses and realized that all I was doing was shooting myself in the foot. And I think I woke my sugar dragon, because the last four days since that happened I have been feeling irritable and dissatisfied with all of my whole 30 options.

Does anyone have any advice? Is it enough to extend the no-sugar part of my whole 30 for 13 extra days, or do I need to start the whole thing over again?

Congrats on your new job!   The coconut milk at Starbucks has yucky, non-compliant ingredients, specifically carrageenan, cane sugar and corn dextrin.  Those ingredients plus the sugar syrup, which may have had other non-compliant ingredients, would make me start over.  Next time treat yourself to a pedicure :)

Water, coconut cream, cane sugar, tricalcium phosphate, coconut waterconcentrate, natural flavors, sea salt, carrageenan, gellan gum, corn dextrin, xanthan gum, guar gum, vitamin A palmitate, and vitamin D.

Yay for the new job! In addition to Julie's helpful advice, another reason why I'd restart is that the things that led you to this choice are speaking to some main points of Whole30. Be prepared for being hungry - eat well and take the next meal with you if the time gap is too much - and think of food as fuel, not a reward. The reason not to have alcohol or sugary treats is not just because the rules say you can't, but because they aren't good fuel for your body, and as common 'rewards,' they are one part of many people's unhealthy relationship with food. Giving in to it reinforced that unhealthy relationship.

Seriously, though, congrats on the job and the hard work up to this point!

Also - for anyone reading this thinking they'll make the frappuccino at Starbucks work - you can't. The matcha has sugar in it, and the emulsifiers required to give it that milkshake consistency are loaded with sugar/artificial sweeteners and additives. It's also SWYPO in a big way. No fraps, no blended lemonade.

It's not SWYPO.

It's outright disregard for the rules of the program and its fully ends the program right then and there. It's not a slip or an oops either, it's a deal breaker.

SWYPO may not necessarily end the program as all ingredients would be compliant -- SWYPO is not ok but it can be a lesson learned or an eye opener to one's relationship with food. A Starbucks Frap cannot.

It's not SWYPO.

It's outright disregard for the rules of the program and its fully ends the program right then and there. It's not a slip or an oops either, it's a deal breaker.

SWYPO may not necessarily end the program as all ingredients would be compliant -- SWYPO is not ok but it can be a lesson learned or an eye opener to one's relationship with food. A Starbucks Frap cannot.

My point was that even if all of the ingredients are somehow made to be compliant, you're recreating a normally not allowed treat with compliant ingredients, which she thought she was doing by removing the classic syrup and using coconut milk.

What was done was a blatant disregard of the rules, and agreed, slip is not the right word, unless she slipped and fell into the frappuccino.

This :)

You gave the tough love I couldn't at first. :) I expected to open this post - based on the title - and read about discovering caramel color in oft-used balsamic vinegar or something. Now I'm picturing women drowning in vats of green tea frappuccino.

You gave the tough love I couldn't at first. :) I expected to open this post - based on the title - and read about discovering caramel color in oft-used balsamic vinegar or something. Now I'm picturing women thrashing in vats of green tea frappuccino.

Edit: a word. Edit button wasn't working.

Archived