Start Date August 3rd

ladycroissant

Hi All - 

I am starting whole 30 today.  I'm very nervous about maintaining a social life (no drinking) for the next 30 days in the peak of the summer but I don't think that there is ever a good time to start whole 30.  I think that the first few days will be the hardest as I am getting rid of all my toxins and bad eating habits so I think that my body might go through some type of withdrawl, so I know I just need to get past the first few days to get into the swing of thing.  

This is my first post and we will see how day 1 goes!  

Hi! My start date is also August 3rd. 

So far I feel great. I am having some sugar cravings, and I really really want some bread. But I'm not actually *hungry* so I know it's just my brain wanting it's usual rewards. But I feel so good since cutting out grains (I cut them out 4 days ago) that I am really motivated to keep going.

Hi Everyone.  I started August 3.  Feeling pretty darn good--like mellow and happy, though I've noticed some cravings slipping in. I'm feeling pretty motivated, but stress and lack of sleep are my long time enemies in being able to maintain behavior change.   Yesterday and today I work 12 hour shifts.  I made it through yesterday without my diet soda fix (don't want to even utter the name because I WANT ONE) and usual trip to the office candy drawer.  Ive got 6 hours left in today's shift and I am focusing on how good Ill feel if I can stick to my W30 goals.

Welcome to Whole30 ladies :)

In the first few days it's a good idea to include plenty of starchy veg as your body adapts to the change from the old diet to the new, and make sure you are getting the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily. Also, don't forget to salt your food - you could be decreasing your sodium intake by up to 75% and your body needs to replace the salt it loses through the skin. Finally, fat is your friend here - for energy, and especially for brain health - embrace it.

Lack of salt, lack of fat, and lack of water are the three most common issues we see here, and each is easily rectified - just giving you the heads up...

Good luck!!

On 06/08/2016 at 10:11 PM, SlewisW302016 said:

Thanks for the suggestions above Moderator. I am worried about over eating.  If I just eat until I am full and only when I am hungry, I should be OK, right?  Cool you are in Ireland, I've always wanted to visit. 

The best way to tell if you're eating enough is if you can last the recommended 4-5hrs between meals. If 6hrs have past and you're still not ready to eat, then you need to cut back. If 2hrs have past & you're ready to gnaw on your desk then you probably need to eat more!

Protein provides staying power, veg provide fibre & give you that nice full feeling, fat provides energy & satiety. If you're struggling to last 4-5hrs & feeling like you're stuffed at the end of your meal then adding fat is a good way to last a little longer without adding bulk to your meals.

Don't panic - it always takes a few days for people to find the right quantity of food for them - in these early days it's probably best to OVER estimate so you're not left feeling hungry without compliant food on hand leaving you more open to going off the rails.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
8 minutes ago, SlewisW302016 said:

Day 16!  still haven't figured out the post work out snack.  any suggestions?  

You want lean protein and starchy vegetables. Grilled or baked chicken, water packed tuna, or egg whites are good protein options. Sweet potatoes, potatoes, other root vegetables are good starchy vegetable options. You don't need a lot of either, just a few bites of each.

Archived