Hi,

I have done a couple successful Whole30's and a couple of unsuccessful ones. I have both Addison's Disease (Adrenal Insufficiency) and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome Type 1/3 crossover. I take steroids for the Addison's and will always need to. In addition to all of the fun symptoms that go along with the two disorders, I also have all of the fun symptoms of taking steroids long term. It's a good time. The Whole30 did help with a lot of things, but I found made some things worse. Morning nausea for example. I've recently started seeing a naturopath who would like me to try the Autoimmune Protocol to see if that fixes the things Whole30 couldn't. The thing is, when I'm off the Whole30 wagon, I'm OFF the Whole30 wagon if that makes sense. In addition, I basically live on caffeine, scrambled eggs, and hot sauce, three things you're not allowed. I know if it's better for me in the long run I should do it but easier said than done while I'm gazing lovingly at my hot sauce shelf on the fridge door.

I'm sure I can do it. But my question is: Is it better to jump right in with both feet and go AIP right off the bat? Or is it better to take from now until the big group Whole30 on Sept 5 and remove one food group off the AIP avoid list a week? (I already don't eat legumes, and grains and dairy I have so rarely I'm not counting them on this timeline, they'll be easy to give up.) Has anyone tried either approach and had success?

Thanks in advance!

I think if you've done Whole30 by the book previously then there's no reason why you can't just jump right in and start an AIP Whole30.

That said, if you plan on doing the group Whole30 in September & feel you would benefit from the support then eliminating one of the AIP off limit foods at a time wouldn't do any harm - I mean you'd still be getting all of the benefits you've felt from Whole30 previously, and then some - and then a little bit more each week until you officially 'start'.

I guess it depends on how severe your symptoms are now (and how much damage these symptoms are causing long term), and how much/quickly you want to feel better....

What does your naturopath say about you phasing it in?

Thanks for the advice. My naturopath wants me to do whatever will work best for me and be sustainable long term in case there is a food group I need to give up permanently. I had been thinking Sept 5 because it will be easier with support, and the people around me currently think I'm nuts for wanting to eat this way. It's also worth pointing out that I work in a school in a class of boys who have been diagnosed with Autism and a developmental delay and our program is for students who have exhausted all other resources. So September is always a busy time for us while we learn how to best support our new students. And probably not the best time to quit coffee.

Archived