Meal Template and Fruit

Hi guys,

Lately I have been eating fruit once I have eaten a meal that is based on the template and I am still hungry. So for example, for lunch today I had a bell pepper and cucumber with 4 eggs and homemade mayo. Then I had some diced tomatoes with some coconut milk on top. I was still hungry so I had a small handful of unsalted pistachios and 2 slices of cantaloupe. I am breast feeding my 4 month old. Does this seem like too much food? Or not a good meal?

Thanks!

• Moderators

I think as long as you're having plenty of vegetables and your protein and fat, it's fine. BFing moms generally need more food, so don't compare what you're eating to what other people are eating.

If you feel like you'd like to eat less fruit, you might try adding starchier vegetables to your meals (like potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squashes like butternut or acorn squash, or root vegetables like beets, turnips, carrots, rutabaga, or parsnips).  They can be more filling than some of the other vegetables.

• Moderators

It's not that either of them is unhealthy in and of itself. Fruit is not bad for you. But, fruit is sweeter tasting than starchy vegetables and that can cause some people to crave more sweets. If you have any insulin sensitivity, in general, starchy vegetables are less likely to cause blood sugar issues.

Again, if you're eating plenty of vegetables, protein, and fat, and still want some fruit, I don't think that's a problem. If you feel like you're constantly hungry, try adding the starchy vegetables to some meals and see how you feel -- see if you notice any difference between meals with fruit versus meals with starchy vegetables..

Archived