I can't believe I actually did it!!!

jlk1980

Hi everyone! I just completed my first Whole30! I'm seriously blown away by this. I'm usually spectacular at quitting diets.

Going into this my biggest goal was cutting sugar out of my diet. Basically everyone in my family is diabetic and the fact that I'm not at age 36 is nothing short of a miracle. I knew if I didn't do something about it right now, it was only a matter of a few months before I had it, too. Taming my sugar dragon was hard and sometimes not pretty, but I did it. I even walked through the grocery store bakery (you have to go through it to get to the produce) and was able to breeze through without a longing second glance. This is by far my biggest NSV.

I also wanted to develop more self-discipline and preparedness when it came to what I eat. My job can be both physically and emotionally draining, so it's super easy to just go to a drive thru on the way home and tune out in front of the tv every night. And then I wake up tired and oversleep, so I end up hitting the Starbucks on my way to work in the morning. By doing the majority of my cooking for the week in advance, it's become even easier to grab some meat and salad greens than it is to get fast food. Having breakfast and lunch already when I wake up makes the right choice the easy choice. And my newfound energy is making it easier to add in more exercise.

Since weight loss is my long term goal, and it's not the goal of the Whole 30, I don't think I'll be staying strictly Whole 30. During reintroduction, I'll learn what foods I can and can't tolerate and build my weight loss plan around that while still trying to live without sweeteners or added sugar.

Thank you, everyone on this forum, for the words of encouragement and for answering my questions! You guys are the best!

Great Job!! I just finished last week as well!  I definitely feel you on how hard it is to walk through the bakery of the grocery store!  It's definitely got easier to pass that stuff by as I started feeling better and better though!  Congrats on finishing and good luck with reintros!

Great job! Your thread on the forum caught my attention because of all of our similarities- age, sugar addiction, lack of energy to walk the dog at the end of the day, ect! I'm so excited you made it through this journey and I applaud you :) keep up the great work!!

Archived