The Psychology of it all.

NewStart2014

I'm again not sure where to post this so I thought I would put it out there.

I'm on Day 10 on my first ever Whole 30 and I feel like I'm starting to get into the minds stuff now. The things I tell myself I want or need, the old tapes I would play in my head about how I "deserved" the foods that were really not the best option for me but "deserving" them would be everyday.

I'm wondering if you are hearing those kinds of though (or what kinds of thoughts, are you hearing) this far into the Whole 30, and that you are able to say "That's not true!" or "No, I don't!"

For me, it's because DH and I had words this morning, we had a disagreement, 11 days ago, I would angry eat. Show him who is boss because I eat that donut!! LOL I think that's called eating my emotions! I also had a fall at work today, That would have lead to "look what they did to me" or "I totally embarrassed myself at work" eating. But I did none of those things today.

I'm looking forward to seeing what else comes out with this Whole 30! :)

We all hear those voices! Whether we choose to listen is another thing entirely! There are ups and downs but you learn what you need to keep you grounded. The Whole 30 for me really smoothed me out emotionally. Meaning I don't seem to sweat the small stuff. I live with 3 kids and a husband. (There is a whole bunch of stuff tere I tell you). It is a program to self discovery! Take the good with the bad. Even the bad is good in that it tells you more about yourself. More power to you!

The negative, self-sabotaging talk seems to happen to me when I haven't had enough sleep. I'm able to deal with problems so much better when I'm well rested. As for using food to comfort myself, I have gotten myself into the habit of viewing the food for what it really is. For example, let's say I crave a reese cup...in my mind, I view a pile of sugar, oil, nasty peanutbuttery concoction, and nasty chemicals that are made to look and taste like chocolate. I remind myself that it isn't even real food. I think on the true texture and true taste of this product. If I am honest, I realize that the chocolate is so low grade and oily...and the peanut butter is actually more sugar and a very fake, gritty, and nasty aftertaste. I think on the ideas of what each ingredient will do to my body...inflammation, blood sugar spike, encourage cancer growth, etc. Usually, this all makes the product VERY unappealing. Try to see fake foods for what they truly are. It is disgusting. :blink:

Thanks all for your comments. It's really great to see others thoughts and ideas on how to deal with this!

Thanks Alison! :)

slw600 - Ahhh yes the "inner brat" gezz mine can be nasty! LOL

Keri, Very interesting thoughts about how do deal with past foods I once loved. Associating them with pain (or disgusting) things, it's something I can do now where as before I was 'blinded' from it.

...For example, let's say I crave a reese cup...in my mind, I view a pile of sugar, oil, nasty peanutbuttery concoction, and nasty chemicals that are made to look and taste like chocolate. I remind myself that it isn't even real food. I think on the true texture and true taste of this product. If I am honest, I realize that the chocolate is so low grade and oily...

Archived