Starting Today.... Looking for group support!

PaolaA

The weekend was tough as I expected; not so much because I was hungry, but because I was bored and I tend to fill that with "fun" foods like heading out for ice cream.

I did good with the three meals each day and didn't feel the need to snack until late evening when I hunkered down on the couch for the night and felt naked without my bowl of ice cream or slice of cake. Sunday night dessert was always a tradition in my family and it is hard to break because its not just a physical attachment.

I will eventually eat desserts again (after this Whole30) but I want to get to a place first where I don't NEED it. I've always had such a problem with overeating sweets that I am considering employing a rule for it (I like having black and white limits which is why this program works for me) such as I can only have dessert when it is my birthday or a direct family members. If I tell myself its just for celebrations, I find myself "celebrating" that its Tuesday! 

I was going to go with pork carnitas for the next few days but they have so much fat and, while I am totally fine with fat, I can't afford grass fed / organic meats so I try to stay away from very fatty cuts since that is where a lot of the garbage hangs out. I instead got a pork loin roast which is much leaner, browned it up, then roasted it over some onions, jalapeños, orange segments/juice, and some garlic. After the pork was cooked, I threw it into the fridge to cool then very thinly sliced it like deli meat. I took the veggies and drippings and gave it a whirl in the blender to make a sauce. It came out really good. I made little tostadas with sweet potato coins and topped it with guacamole as Bronwyn had done. 

Heres to going strong into next week! 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm getting ready to go to bed after a successful day 7:). My energy and focus throughout the day has been nice and steady. I haven't felt the urge to nap in the past few days and the payoff has been a great nights sleep. 

Luckily I am one of those people who can eat anything for any meal, and do so multiple days in a row which makes this a lot easier. I roasted up a whole pork loin over the weekend and sliced it thin and have been wrapping it around veggie slices for lunch with mayo based dip. It may not be very interesting, but it is a nice easy thing to eat at my desk at work and is filling. Sometimes I try too hard to come up with dishes and recipes but have found that throwing together a bunch of components works well for me also.

I hope everyone is still doing well! According to the timeline, the next 4 days are expected to be the toughest- hang in there! 

Now end of day 8th ... And I can feel the cravings in my head ... But they are gone after a while ... And I have been able to resist all bites and treats that are offered everyday at work. 

I am getting home after work very hungry... Maybe it is because I continue to excersice almost everyday .. So I have had to incorporate a light and compliant snack once I get home and while I am cooking like nuts or prosciutto ... As just hanging with lunch since mid day is very tough. 

I can feel as well that I have lost some weight which is very nice as I have put on a couple of dresses that felt a bit tight a couple of weeks ago. My tummy is getting also in better shape, so I agree with Gardner that maybe some foods are just keeping us with the pregnant look that I hate and is there since my second child was borne. My husband says all the time that it is because I do not do enough push ups... But maybe is just the food... I hope:rolleyes:. I have also notice that my skin (I have some minor dermatitis in my arms that have gone worst since a while ago) is more clear, hopefully all will desapear! 

So net net, all looking very positive and good and with lots of hope to finalise week 2 

I have a BBQ coming up and said I would bring deviled eggs (easy to make Whole30 compliant and relatively inexpensive for a crowd) and wanted to try out the recipe tomake sure it was up to par. On Sunday, I boiled up a bunch of eggs and whipped up mayo with avocado oil instead of olive oil (which I like much better) and made deviled eggs and egg salad. From Sunday afternoon and all day Monday, my primary protein source was eggs.

I have pretty intense shoulder / neck pain most of the time (although I am not specifically focusing on inflammation for this round of Whole30, one of the NSV I am monitoring is my shoulder pain) but it let up last week and I felt good enough to get some extra exercise in (yoga). Come Tuesday morning, my shoulders hurt far worse than when I started the Whole30! I believe eggs are on the list of foods known to cause inflammation and boy did that onset quickly! I didn't have any eggs yesterday and the tension is starting to let up a bit now. I will certainly be mitigating my egg consumption after that episode! It is pretty cool how your body will talk to you and let you know what is going on. 

Well that's really good being able to tell by now how food is making you feel. I love eggs and could live out of them, not sure if there is a limit in the whole30 program but I try to avoid having more than 4 times a week, so I eat a lot of white eggs most of the time to keep the protein in and yolk max 4 per week. 

I am amazed at how I have stop having cravings between meals and the need to snack has desapeer. I feel very satisfied after the meals, specially at lunch when I incorporate the starch. I am really enjoying potatoes, all kinds .. I wish there were plantains around as when they are ripe they become very sweet ...then you bake them and they just bring a delicious taste to the food 

i am also very impressed at how much control I am starting to have. During the past week I have had several dinners out, many people eating dessert and bread in front of me, and other non compliant food.  Before I was the first one asking to order dessert ... Now I have replace that for a herbal tea... And I do not feel at all like even trying a bit. I think this is the best part... Having the self awareness and the self control in your hands and being able to commit because you know is the right reason 

Another day gone ... Day 9th is over. Tomorrow we go double digit :lol:

Hi all - I started on the 8th as well....day 10! woohoo!! Today I woke with a horrible headache. It's raining here and I may not have had enough water yesterday. My dh has been working late so came in about an hour after I went to bed and I woke....and then got up about 5 hours later, so woke me again....needless to say, not only do I have that headache, but I'm feeling tired today. Went downstairs and didn't have b'fast mapped out like I did for the last 9 days and the sitter came and I wanted to get out of the way (I work from home).....so I finished my second glass of water, grabbed my coffee, bottle of water,  and a banana and am back in my office. Once they head out in about 15 minutes, I'll try to go and make some sort of eggs and vege combo. Really sad I didn't have any hard boil eggs to grab. I have loads of veges I could have grabbed quickly too. So, fair to say this has been my hardest of mornings!

The other interesting thing is that it follows a day of desires. I wouldn't say cravings. I wasn't craving...but just wanted to eat that pasta that I made for the kids and their friends last night. (Actually - I wanted the Pecorino Romano cheese...salty goodness on the pasta.)

What are you all doing for lunches? That's really my hardest meal. The first week I made these spicy tuna cakes, http://nomnompaleo.com/post/91332244628/spicy-tuna-cakes and they were fab. I didn't want to have that much canned tuna so I didn't make them this week and am struggling....especially with coming up with a fat...I'm not a huge fan of avocados and strongly dislike olives. If I mash up avocados and add compliant salsa/pico del gallo I can stomach/handle that.

There was one day that my NSV was a huge energy boost...but other than that, not seeing/feeling too many others other than reduced bloating. It could be that it's been crazy hot here and I've been trying to manage 4 kids while my husband works 18 hours a day. That will soon be over, so I'll have his help again.

Well, I'm back. I went down and sauteed some onions and peppers in Ghee and then added some grass fed ground beef. Warmed up some roasted asparagus and cauli-rice and am all set to eat. Have to say my headache is at least gone...so starting to feel better.

Just a note on the banana earlier...that was my first banana since starting....actually have only had a few bites of fruit since starting b/c of my sugar dragon (other than lemon/lime). I probably should've grabbed an apple since it seems as though it would have been a better fruit to grab....but the banana was there and easy to get prior to leaving the kitchen. It tasted incredibly sweet....amazing. I didn't even really enjoy it...but it did fill that hunger (and yes, I could have eaten steamed fish at that point, so it was hunger) and got me thru to a better b'fast. Here's to success the rest of the day.

Welcome @Eileenb526

I have to admit I have not had any headache at all since starting. Maybe it is because I had already cut a lot of sugar before starting the whole30 but I have actually put a lot of effort in eating super well and following the meal template to keep me satisfied and with lots of energy 

For fat, if you follow the meal template you can always have coconut flakes, nuts and pines or coconut milk as complement 

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Today was not a good day as I was all day out of my routine ... So I ended up eating lots of fruit, although I did a huge effort to pack my breakfast (1 peach, 3 boiled eggs and half avocafo) and took my canned tuna for lunch as I new there were going to be tons of salad for lunch to compliment but maybe just searing all day in a meeting room did not help me and ended up having more fruit than the desire for the day 

For lunch there are tons of ideas on blogs, on the whole30 Facebook and Instagram ... Just follow it and you will see how much delicious options are available to keep the fun of trying new things and going ahead for 20 more days 

Here lots of inspiration for nice recipes: 

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialWhole30Recipes/

Have a good rest of the day. Time to sleep for me now 

It sounds like everyone is hanging in there!  

I live in Austin, TX and it has been raining here all week. I actually enjoy the rain (especially since it doesn't happen too often here) but I've been quite antsy and somewhat irritable the past few days because I've been stuck inside the house.  I usually get the dog out for a nice long walk in the evenings, and I can tell he is feeling the cabin fever too! I have quite a bit of energy and it is going to waste sitting at a desk all day for work then being stuck inside when I get home! Being stuck inside makes me want to just sit on the couch and eat everything in sight (thank goodness I had rid the house of oreos and ice cream before starting - I'm not sure I could have avoided the temptation the past few days!) but I kept myself busy cleaning and such and was able to stay on track. 

It has been a challenge to eat the appropriate amount of protein with every meal the past two days. I've been switching it up, so I don't think that it is because I'm sick of any one source, it is just protein in general. I stuck to the meal template and it seems to be better today. 

Overall, I feel really good and have been sleeping extraordinarily well. My BF works odd hours so I am oftentimes sleeping by the time he gets home. Normally I get woken up because the dogs jump off the bed and go crazy, but lately I've woken up for a second and have been able to fall back into a deep sleep right away. I also haven't napped at all (although at times I wanted to because this rainy weather is perfect for an afternoon nap!).  

Keep on truckin', folks!! 

Hey all -

Well - no headache to report today. Just realized last night that my monthly cycle is about to begin....so that was probably the culprit of the headache and tiredness. It's coming a little earlier than expected, which could be the result of cleaner eating. I usually have a very regular 35 day cycle, so we'll see.

Much more energy today. Better length of sleep last night...dh didn't wake me!! haha.

I just realized that I started on the 9th, not the 8th...but was right yesterday that I was on day 10...that's the most important part right? Realizing where I am in this thing?! haha.

I am very excited that the weekend is upon us. Not much socially going on this weekend either which is awesome, one, b/c it's our last weekend of being slow before it all kicks into gear until January! All four of my kids have b'days in the fall and then Thanksgiving and Christmas....it's always a blur. And two, it's give me time to think/plan through next week's meal plan and get organized for the week (and that is going to happen b/c I think dh will actually not be working this weekend!). I'm also excited bc I do have more energy in general and there is a lot to get done around here prior to school starting in a little less than two weeks. And I actually think I can be uber productive. We'll see!

I did have a dream last night that actually woke me up. I don't ever remember my dreams and rarely wake from them (unless they are crazy scary). My dream was about my family enjoying a pizza night together (which we usually do on Friday nights) and I was so good and not even tempted (like last Friday)....but as I was picking up a plate to bring to the kitchen, I started to eat the crust left by one of the kids (bad habit)! Augh!! I think it's funny that it woke me up....does eating a pizza crust at this point count as crazy scary, haha?! Somehow in my psyche it must and I must have been somehow subconsciously been worried/anxious about our pizza night tonight. Well, it causes me to be aware at least!

Last night we went out to eat for the first time since I started this round of Whole30. We went to Red Lobster and I looked at the menu beforehand, chose crab legs with lemon juice instead of butter, a side salad with oil and red wine vinegar (hopefully sulfite-free, but I guess I will take my chances), steamed asparagus, and grilled squash; it was quite satisfying and I was full but not stuffed afterwards like I usually am when we go out to eat. My BF ordered oysters, stuffed mushrooms (which I absolutely love but clearly couldn't have because they were drowning in cheese and butter), biscuits, and a huge seafood platter which was doused in butter, pasta with cheese sauce and all sorts of other delicious, non-Whole30-compliant ingredients.

I felt really good with my choice and didn't have a problem with him consuming so much stuff I couldn't have in front of me - I barely had a craving for it and it passed quickly - but he kept asking me if I wanted a bite of his food. He knows I am doing a Whole30 and what I can and can't have. He knows I have been feeling and looking better the past several days. He knows I have no willpower and that willpower and my relationship with food are what this is all about. But, he kept offering and I got kind of snappy with him. He though I was mad at him because I wasn't allowed to eat the food, but in reality I was really irritated that I felt he was't supporting me at all! I never asked him to do this with me or even eat the same exact meals that I do (I will make the same dinner for both of us, but instead of a sweet potato with coconut oil I will make him a regular potato with butter and sour cream, etc.) and just asked that he support me and not tempt me. 

He asked me a few days ago if I was going to leave him now that I was healthy and fit and he isn't into that, so I feel like this may be an issue with his insecurities. I sometimes feel like he is trying to keep me from progressing and I think I may be right. I feel good and when I feel good, it gives my confidence a boost (I an generally a very insecure person, especially with appearance) and I think he is scared that I find better options than him if I am confident and branch out into different activities with new people. What he doesn't understand is that it is really the opposite - if I feel like I'm not getting any support, that will make me question our relationship whereas if I am confident and happy, I will be more affectionate and less closed off with him. I've asked him about it and he just says he loves me just as I am and thinks I am beautiful. I just don't know how to handle this! 

Anyways, thank you for letting me get out that little therapy session!

I feel so much better this morning than I would have if I gored myself on cheesy, heavy food last night. Plus we went out to a local dance hall and where I normally would have had a few drinks, I had water so that certainly helps also. It is getting easier to say no to non-compliant foods and hope I will be able to continue that decision making after the 30 day program! 

Off to prep lunches for the week! 

Well girls... If we are looking good now ... I definitely has lost my 'pregnant belly look' imagine in 16 more days ... So we all better hang in here, right here and support each other. In my case this is the exact reason of start this conversation because every time I read any of your stories it just gives me the confidence and extra mile I need to keep going. We are not alone on this journey and even though I feel pretty satisfied by now, to be honest... I think the next few days are going to be very hard... I have had so many temptations over the weekend (we were away again with the kids to get some rest before the kids go back to school this week) so it's been incredible challenging having to eat out every time ... Not because my food - as I can always find good meal that would be complaint - and always make sure they know it needs to be dairy free and gluten free- and ask to use only olive oil for cooking but just as I see everyone enjoying a lovely bread or delicious dessert. And I realised this is my problem with food (sugar again) because to be honest I have always tend to eat very healthy.  But one I have a dessert... A want two and once I eat a bread, I finish the basket ... And then finish the left over or the kids meal hahaha

I imagine that after 2 more weeks our relationship with food is definitely going to be different.  I will try to keep doing whole 9's on a permanent basis to then try to at least every other weekend get a glass of wine (I am pretty satisfied with one only) and enjoy a nice diner out with my husband 

So let's hang in there ... And let's keep the group support to get going

@garner177  just be open to your dear BF, tell him how good you feel and how important it is for you to have his support. Ideally try to persuade him to go on the next two weeks to join you on the whole 30 and enjoy as well all the benefits that we are starting to realise ourselves 

@EvaZ welcome to this friendly thread.  Some recipes for inspiration for this 3rd week ... I will be having most of them for me. They all look delicious 

http://greatist.com/eat/whole30-dinner-recipes

- oooh....that is going to be me next weekend! I haven't eaten out yet. And I'm the same with one piece turns into the whole basket of bread! We will see how I can handle it. I'm also a bit nervous about any restaurants being trustworthy when asking for dairy free, gluten free...but I guess there are enough people out there who have allergies so they have to be. But I also wonder on all of the other non-compliant items like soy, etc. And we are going to be staying at the beach...so it's like boardwalk food. Nothing too fancy. I'll have to plan ahead and somehow bring some pre-cooked/prepped food for at least b'fast/lunch at the beach. Any hints/ideas would be great!

I was at a friends last night for a family birthday bbq and I brought a garden salad with a non-compliant dressing on the side (it had honey, but no sugar)....but regardless ate lunch on the way there b/c I had been too busy all day. I said I would eat dinner at home afterwards and I wouldn't worry to much about it. When dinner was put out, I truly couldn't have anything. My husband said to me that they hadn't put my dressing on the salad, so I decided to get a plate of it. I took one bite and knew he was wrong. I gave the plate to him. I hope that one bite unintentionally doesn't mean I have to start over!  I feel fine today...no cravings, so I'm just going to keep going on. If I feel like I need to add days at the end I will.

@gardner177 - maybe you can also help explain what it means to support you? Also remember, no matter how big of an adjustment it is for you (and a great one it is!)...that he is also needing to adjust to this new lifestyle....like if you always went out to eat before and would try each others food....it may be a "loss" to him to not be able to do that with you now. So while they are great/feel good things for you, he may be experiencing them as losses....so you may need to find new things to experience together to help him feel confident in the relationship.

I'm wondering if I'm eating too many sweet potatoes. How do you know? I'm not experiencing cravings or anything. I read something about certain folks should have less...but what about how I'm feeling would tell me that. Any ideas?

Menu planning now for the week around our schedule so will take a look at that link you sent @PaolaA.

Hi all!  We are half way through the 30 days - nice job! 

I just whipped up a batch of buffalo ranch dressing (basically followed the mayo directions using avocado oil then added in a bunch of hot sauce, grated garlic, dried celery, dried parsley, and some salt and pepper) and even the BF agrees it is better than the bottled stuff! I am going to shred up some chicken and make those stuffed sweet potatoes I see all over the recipe sites.  

I felt like I was getting into a bit of a food rut, but that Whole30 Recipe Facebook page Paola shared really helped inspire me!

On August 22, 2016 at 3:39 PM, Eileenb526 said:

maybe you can also help explain what it means to support you? Also remember, no matter how big of an adjustment it is for you (and a great one it is!)...that he is also needing to adjust to this new lifestyle....like if you always went out to eat before and would try each others food....it may be a "loss" to him to not be able to do that with you now. So while they are great/feel good things for you, he may be experiencing them as losses....so you may need to find new things to experience together to help him feel confident in the relationship.

This is a really great perspective that quite honestly didn't even occur to me. Our default night out is pretty much going out and consuming junk food and alcohol, so we talked it over and thought of some healthier options for a night out AND signed up for dance lessons! We are both from the US northeast and only moved to Texas last year. Neither of us are very skilled dancers but we love to hang out at the country dance hall down the road from the house. This is a more constructive activity than just going out and stuffing our faces! 

I am feeling quite good these days. For the first while I felt weak, but I think my body is getting used to the energy supply now and I feel more capable when I take walks and yoga. 

Keep truckin! 

On 8/18/2016 at 8:43 AM, Eileenb526 said:

Hi all - I started on the 8th as well....day 10! woohoo!! Today I woke with a horrible headache. It's raining here and I may not have had enough water yesterday. My dh has been working late so came in about an hour after I went to bed and I woke....and then got up about 5 hours later, so woke me again....needless to say, not only do I have that headache, but I'm feeling tired today. Went downstairs and didn't have b'fast mapped out like I did for the last 9 days and the sitter came and I wanted to get out of the way (I work from home).....so I finished my second glass of water, grabbed my coffee, bottle of water,  and a banana and am back in my office. Once they head out in about 15 minutes, I'll try to go and make some sort of eggs and vege combo. Really sad I didn't have any hard boil eggs to grab. I have loads of veges I could have grabbed quickly too. So, fair to say this has been my hardest of mornings!

The other interesting thing is that it follows a day of desires. I wouldn't say cravings. I wasn't craving...but just wanted to eat that pasta that I made for the kids and their friends last night. (Actually - I wanted the Pecorino Romano cheese...salty goodness on the pasta.)

What are you all doing for lunches? That's really my hardest meal. The first week I made these spicy tuna cakes, http://nomnompaleo.com/post/91332244628/spicy-tuna-cakes and they were fab. I didn't want to have that much canned tuna so I didn't make them this week and am struggling....especially with coming up with a fat...I'm not a huge fan of avocados and strongly dislike olives. If I mash up avocados and add compliant salsa/pico del gallo I can stomach/handle that.

There was one day that my NSV was a huge energy boost...but other than that, not seeing/feeling too many others other than reduced bloating. It could be that it's been crazy hot here and I've been trying to manage 4 kids while my husband works 18 hours a day. That will soon be over, so I'll have his help again.

I have been making the Protein Salad in the W30 cookbook a LOT!  The recipes makes enough for 3 days and I have it on top of lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, green beans, etc.  LOVE it.  Yesterday I use leftover rotisserie chicken and had it on the leftover garden salad I had for dinner with avocado and nectarines. Truly amazing!

Hi everyone! It's been a quiet week. Hope everyone is hanging out there as we are more than half way of our whole30 journey. 

We are about to finish our 3rd week and the worst has already happened. Our bodies have adapt I believe and it is incredible at how I am not craving for sugar anymore! 

Not that I do not want any, but for sure I do not feel the need and definitely can survive without it. Some good learnings ....

We have a long weekend ahead and one more week seems endless so hoping the week flies by fast ... Although I am considering going for whole45... Anyone else ? 

Hi everyone! What happened to all of you? How are you doing? We are about to finish week 3 ... Hurray!!! It's been a long journey but worth it right? 

Hope you are all doing great and still on the journey to finish the whole30 journey 

I am actually glad to start back up the work week; I do much better with the structure!  

This weekend was tough. We went to the county fair on Saturday and for anyone who has never been, there is not one morsel of food there that would remotely be considered Whole30 compliant. All of the food is fried in low quality oils, cheese is abundant, and sugar abounds! But, I was good and ate before we left and packed myself a nice little dinner of compliant turkey sausage, veggies, and dip for dinner.  Honestly, it really wasn't that bad because there was so much other stuff there to keep me occupied (although I LOVE fair food and it was tough to walk by that funnel cake booth without partaking!). Made it through Saturday no problem.

Then come Sunday... I followed the template for breakfast and lunch and wasn't hungry, but I wanted to eat everything in sight anyway. I had picked up some fruit for my BF (I now eat it very sparingly on salads and such because it still triggers my sugar dragon to have it on its own) and ended up eating way more fruit that I should have. I added it to my meals but knew in my mind I wasn't adding it because I was hungry, I was pretty much caving into the craving. I didn't have anything non-compliant, but yesterday's meals were not fully in line with the Whole30 premise and felt very much like my "old" relationship with food. I kept thinking that I deserved a reward for being so good at the fair and, although a few pieces of fruit are not the end of the world, I feel rather guilty about it.

I am back on the wagon today but definitely felt sluggish when I woke up today (most likely from a slight sugar hangover since I haven't consumed that much sugar in over 3 weeks). 

I hope everyone is doing well! 3/4 of the way there:). 

14 hours ago, gardner177 said:

I am actually glad to start back up the work week; I do much better with the structure!  

This weekend was tough. We went to the county fair on Saturday and for anyone who has never been, there is not one morsel of food there that would remotely be considered Whole30 compliant. All of the food is fried in low quality oils, cheese is abundant, and sugar abounds! But, I was good and ate before we left and packed myself a nice little dinner of compliant turkey sausage, veggies, and dip for dinner.  Honestly, it really wasn't that bad because there was so much other stuff there to keep me occupied (although I LOVE fair food and it was tough to walk by that funnel cake booth without partaking!). Made it through Saturday no problem.

Then come Sunday... I followed the template for breakfast and lunch and wasn't hungry, but I wanted to eat everything in sight anyway. I had picked up some fruit for my BF (I now eat it very sparingly on salads and such because it still triggers my sugar dragon to have it on its own) and ended up eating way more fruit that I should have. I added it to my meals but knew in my mind I wasn't adding it because I was hungry, I was pretty much caving into the craving. I didn't have anything non-compliant, but yesterday's meals were not fully in line with the Whole30 premise and felt very much like my "old" relationship with food. I kept thinking that I deserved a reward for being so good at the fair and, although a few pieces of fruit are not the end of the world, I feel rather guilty about it.

I am back on the wagon today but definitely felt sluggish when I woke up today (most likely from a slight sugar hangover since I haven't consumed that much sugar in over 3 weeks). 

I hope everyone is doing well! 3/4 of the way there:). 

The key is that you recognized where you misstepped on the sugar front and in my opinion that's half the battle.  Now you know that fruit is a food that you will really have to ration or even do without for a little bit -- particularly if it's giving you a hangover! I am challenged with this every day and know I am better off if I steer clear.  Good luck!!

I need to admit that I have not really been able to cut fruit as I should have. I am limiting it in most cases as part of the meals and not more than twice a day but I do really enjoyed it as it brings a great flavor for my meals. I am not sure anymore if it is feeding my sugar dragon or not as i do not feel anymore the need of sweets or desserts though. I am coupling as well very good without the snack in the morning (before I always had a ration of fruit everyday)-  probably relying much more on coffee and tea... But it is not as easy in the afternoon where the time between meals is longer and more if I get stuck in long meeting towards the end of the day ... That is when I get home and I want to eat a cow. :huh::huh::huh:

I know by now that nuts are not a good solution for me as I overeat them ... I start with a handful and end up eating half of the bag. Not sure if anyone has a recommendation for the afternoon snack. I usually have breakfast around 8 am, then lunch at 12 pm ... And it is just too long to wait until 6:30-7 pm for dinner. I feel I should have an afternoon snack to avoid getting too hungry which makes me end up eating too much in the evening or end up adding fruit to the meals to compliment them. 

I have as well started to dream about the end of the whole30 - which I do not think is something good- to be able to incorporate again once in a while some non compliant foods. I know I can live by now without sugar and dairy, and I have learnt to love potatos as part of my main meal - lunchtime - and I will not miss rice or even pasta - but I am very afraid of going back to normal and fall back in the old habit of having too much treats, chocolate, cakes or just sweets in general. I think a need a recommendation of how to approach the reintroduction stage - we are only one week ahead of it and good to BE PREPARE 

• Moderators

@PaolaA it sounds like the way you're having fruit is fine. There's nothing inherently wrong with fruit, it doesn't sound like it's making you crave anything, just relax and don't worry about it.

For your afternoon snack, we'd recommend if you have to go more than 4-5 hours between meals, have a mini-meal of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three. Maybe you could pack a little extra at lunch and eat the rest in the afternoon, or take something like some meatballs or cooked chicken or hard boiled eggs with some mayo or guacamole or olives, and maybe a handful of chopped raw vegetables. It probably won't need to be a huge amount of food, you're just wanting to get yourself through til dinner without feeling super hungry.

Hi all - so sorry to have been MIA for awhile. I wanted to post on Friday/Saturday but the time got away from me. I was so nervous for the weekend as I was taking my four kids to the Jersey Shore for a few days (without my dh to help...but a good friend came with her two kids so that was a help with my kids but not the eating). My dh is so supportive of my eating and while my friend "is" it's not the same. I brought PB and honey and loads of fruit (and snacks) for the kids for lunch and snacks but knew we were going to eat b'fast and dinners out. There aren't the most accommodating places on the boardwalk and neighboring restaurants. It's almost like going to a fair! Sunday night at the boardwalk I found a Greek place, that made Cobb salads. They were going to put grilled chicken on it but when I asked the griller guy, he said they did marinate in some sort of Soy Oil Blend...um, no, I'll just take the Lettuce, avocado, Egg...and bacon...with oil and vinegar. Unfortunately I forgot about compliant bacon....until I started to eat...so tried to not eat any of the crumbles. I should have asked for an additional egg as there was only one. But the salad was huge so it was decent. The next morning we went to a diner like place for b'fast. I said I couldn't have dairy to ensure my eggs weren't cooked with milk and got a nice tomato, spinach omelet with a side of avocado. They may have sprayed the grill with something non-complaint, but hoping that doesn't ruin anything! I had brought canned tuna and some Tessamae's Mayo for lunch on the beach (and carrots, cucumber, and celery sticks), but I forgot to bring a fork and a bowl to make it in....so I had the vege's, and a handful of macadamia nuts instead. I was surprised that I wasn't famished. We then went out to dinner at a restaurant that night. I ordered a broiled Salmon salad. I told the waiter I was dairy free and needed the Salmon dry....no oils or butter and he told the kitchen to make it that way with just salt and pepper. I tried to get the olives on the side....still cannot seem to convince myself to like them (have gotten better with avocado!). One of my kids got pasta with butter and since she is just under 2, I had to help her a lot. My salmon tasted fine....didn't seem to have oil/butter...but when I left I felt like a buttery mess...I'm hoping it was from helping my baby girl b/c it didn't feel as though my salmon had butter on it!

The unfortunate thing is that b/c I was away over the weekend, I didn't get to grocery shop or prep, so came home to a spare house. Made my kids dinner last night but didn't have any protein options for me (had the last of my canned tuna for lunch). Thought my husband would be home prior to stores closing (and that's just too late to eat dinner anyways) so I didn't get a protein in my dinner last night...and minimal vege's. I wasn't too hungry, which is what I'm finding interesting. I don't feel as though I'm overeating at meals at all...but I really am not that hungry by the next meal time....it's such a strange place to be at. I have to get to the store today...to at least get me thru the weekend.

@Paola - I feel the same way with fruit. I've actually stayed away from it for the most part b/c of how much I've read about the sugar dragon. I want to have it so that makes me nervous that I'm craving it. To me, I have to get comfortable with knowing the difference between a craving for it and just wanting to enjoy it b/c I like the taste of it and it's OK to eat. In the past, I've truly felt addicted to food. Think about it all the time, and crave it - esp. the junk. I needed to figure out a way to break that cycle of addiction (and I realize that there are emotional things tied in here as well), but I truly felt it as a chemical addiction...which is the biggest reason I wanted to do this whole 30 (and yes, I'm considering going longer as well - but have a trip planned beginning 9/23 - so think I would like to complete a reintroduction prior to that so I can see what things are triggers for me prior to that trip). 

OK - I've gone on and on. Let me just add one more thing. My husband and I had a function to go to right before I left for the beach. We had a babysitter so felt we could stay out for a bit. It was a heavy hor'dourves type of party. I ate lunch a little later to plan to be satisfied and not be hungry. I felt fine at the party. Then we decided to eat out. It was the first time I was going to be eating out at a restaurant. He was so good in helping me try to decide where would be a good place to go. We are very lucky to have a slew of great restaurants in our little town. We chose Plan B burgers as the option...which is funny b/c most of the restaurants in town are not big chains, but we decided that would be a good place for both of us. They were uber accommodating. They have a ton of excellent salads and the waitress knew that there was a soybean oil in some of the marinades and spice mixture rubs. I was so nervous but she made it so easy and she didn't make me feel as though I was being a pain either. They were able to make me a burger fresh from ground meat with just salt and pepper and put it on a kale/brussel sprout salad. Since I removed the cheese and something else, she added in some cucumber and tomato for me. It was just such a great experience that it gave me confidence to enter into my beach weekend away. And the kicker was there was this group of folks at the bar and one of the girls was talking about doing a whole 30! haha, funny. In any case, if you haven't ventured out there yet, just wanted to share that it isn't as hard as it seems it can be!

I need to run to that grocery store (but I should be working...agh...oh well, I'll catch up on work tonight)....kids first day of school today...so quiet here!

Archived