Washington DC on the Whole 30

kale_on_kale

Hi all, any other Whole 30-ers in Washington DC?

I'm on Day 6 and I cook a lot, but wanted to share how I've managed to go to restaurants so far. Hope others will contribute a few ideas, too!

Casual dining: Sweetgreen, Cava, Beefsteak, Taylor Gourmet, Pleasant Pops (if you can resist the popsicles!)... DC is at no loss of good, fresh, fast-casual restaurants for the 9-to-5 lunch crowd. You just need to (nicely) request substitutions, oil and vinegar dressings, etc. etc.

Restaurants: Agora, Zaytinya... Middle Eastern has been the way to go for me. Plenty of compliant dips, veggie tapas, and grilled meats to go around.

Food shopping: It's August, so farmer's markets are your best bet! Honestly, going to Safeway is uncomfortable, Whole Foods has too many "healthy" temptations, but the Dupont Farmer's Market made me so happy. Just walk really quickly past Keswick cheeses. 

Hey all! I love going to The Little Beet, they only use olive oil for cooking :) I think the salmon there has a glaze with soy, but the other proteins and veggie sides are all good (sweet potatoes can be made without cheese too)

• 4 months later...

I would second the Chix recommendation!  Love, love, love them!  The owners have done the Whole 30 and they have several compliant options.  My go-to is the Colombian-style roasted chicken, sweet potatoes, and "green of the day".  The avocado dressing and guac are also W30-compliant! 

I'm on day 7 and so far, here are my favorites:

NOVA:

• KBBQ Places give you control on what you can or cannot have + LOTS of meat and Whole30 Compliant sides!
    • Iron Age
    • Kogiya
  • Pork Barrel BBQ in Del Rey 
  • Le Pain Quotidien
  • Japanese restaurants if you select sashimi/avocado based meals w/ dressing on the side! Below are my favorites
    • Zento
    • Kotobuki*

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Founding Farmers on the day of the Women's March and it was AMAZING!! They are so lovely and the food is so good. Just be sure to ask your server to be certain there aren't any non-compliant ingredients. I made that mistake, but I swapped plates with my friend and all was well.

On 1/22/2017 at 9:04 PM, WZRDREAMS said:

I went to Founding Farmers on the day of the Women's March and it was AMAZING!! They are so lovely and the food is so good. Just be sure to ask your server to be certain there aren't any non-compliant ingredients. I made that mistake, but I swapped plates with my friend and all was well.

Hi! What did you end up having that was compliant? I'm headed to dinner there this weekend and hoping to stay on track. 

Hi! What did you end up having that was compliant? I'm headed to dinner there this weekend and hoping to stay on track. 

Well, I ordered the "Shaved Pork Loin" which is on the sandwich menu (1st mistake).... this would have been fine (I can remove meat from bread, and it was substantial sandwich) except that it was also covered in melted cheese... so yeah, I failed at asking questions (2nd mistake). Our server would have moved the earth to make things right, but it was my fault and it was a crazy day so I really didn't want to be a nuisance. This was actually kinda Whole30 dangerous because I really do miss cheese, but I digress.

The friend who offered to swap plates with me had ordered the Rotisserie Chicken. My other friend (who was doing Whole30) had the Long Roast Pork Chop...which I tasted and it was phenomenal.

We had all ordered the Seasonal Escabeche as our sides (carrots, squash onion, brussel sprouts)... I ate around the corn. It was delicious, but a little small.

The also have quite a few lovely salads that appear compliant. Just be sure to ask!!!

I would LOVE to eat there again after Whole30. The menu is really great.

• 6 months later...

Hello! 

I am new to this forum and the Whole 30. I am preparing to start my Whole 30 after Labor Day. I am trying to do everything possible to get myself prepared for success. I live in DC and was excited to see that Cava was Whole 30 compliant. This made me wonder if Roti was as well, and after looking on their website, I am sad to say that it is not. According to their allergen list, it looks like all the proteins are out as well are most everything else. It appears that the only things that could potentially be compliant is the gluten free pita and the mixed greens. However, I still wouldn't trust that the gluten free pita is compliant without seeing the full ingredient list. Here is a link to their allergen list: http://roti.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Roti_Allergen-Chart_080117.pdf

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Kensters said:

Hello! 

I am new to this forum and the Whole 30. I am preparing to start my Whole 30 after Labor Day. I am trying to do everything possible to get myself prepared for success. I live in DC and was excited to see that Cava was Whole 30 compliant. This made me wonder if Roti was as well, and after looking on their website, I am sad to say that it is not. According to their allergen list, it looks like all the proteins are out as well are most everything else. It appears that the only things that could potentially be compliant is the gluten free pita and the mixed greens. However, I still wouldn't trust that the gluten free pita is compliant without seeing the full ingredient list. Here is a link to their allergen list: http://roti.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Roti_Allergen-Chart_080117.pdf

Hey there - even if the gluten free pita was actually gluten free, the fact that its pita renders it non compliant.  There is no recreating baked goods with compliant ingredients and I assume that the flour they use is probably just gluten free wheat flour anyway so even if you COULD recreate baked goods with alternate flours, this wouldn't fit. Sorry!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/7/2017 at 7:06 PM, uripam said:
  • KBBQ Places give you control on what you can or cannot have + LOTS of meat and Whole30 Compliant sides!
    • Iron Age
    • Kogiya

I'd also love to know how the Korean BBQ places are compliant. I wasn't sure if the meat was seasoned with anything or how the sides were made. 

I ate at the Silver Diner in Clarendon when I was there in Jan. I had a flat iron steak with a salad and potatoes. I had to ask them to make a few changes (I think it was just butter that wasn't compliant). I just looked at their menu online and that's not on it any more. It was GOOD. They probably would accommodate as well still.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Lauraloveskale said:

Nandos compliant items?!? Is their chicken really compliant? That sauce on the chicken tastes too good to be sugar free! I'd love to know this! 

Give them a call?  You'd have to ask at the nando's you want to eat at on the day you want to eat there anyway because even if one place said they were compliant one day it could change the next day or in the neighboring region...

1 minute ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Give them a call?  You'd have to ask at the nando's you want to eat at on the day you want to eat there anyway because even if one place said they were compliant one day it could change the next day or in the neighboring region...

Yeah I can ask them. What are all the questions I should ask @SugarcubeOD to answer all my bases?

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wanted to update this thread because I went looking for Chix on 14th and apparently it's been closed down for a while.

I ate at Arepa Zone on 14th - the patacon with the beef, no cheese/slaw/sauces. I emailed them and they confirmed the plantain "bread" and the beef were made with canola oil but otherwise were Whole30-friendly. 

Archived