Cindy's First Whole30 (Starting Tuesday, 09 August, 2016)

cjlantier

Day 0

I don't feel as though I'm properly prepared -- I certainly didn't get done everything I wanted to -- so I'm a little nervous about tomorrow. I could put it off another day and work on being more prepared, but I'm tired of feeling the way I do. And you know what? There will never be a good day to start; there will always be something standing in the way if I let it. And I've let it for years. 

I decided to do a Whole30 because it seems to me that everything wrong with me, health-wise, has chronic systemic inflammation at the core:

• Diabetes
  • High Blood Pressure
  • High Cholesterol
  • Arthritis
  • Asthma
  • Bipolar Disorder (really? Yep, according to ISWF.)
  • Atherosclerosis (I had a heart attack when I was 35 years old. 100% blockage in one of my arteries.)
  • Fibromyalgia
  • High triglycerides
  • Joint Pain
  • Obesity
  • PCOS
  • And, my PCP just referred me to neurologist for evaluation for MS (although, hopefully, we will rule that out). 

I'll have a few extra challenges with the Whole30 because I have a lab band with an incorrect fill. I'm a little too restricted. We spent months trying to get the fill right -- and to be honest, I got tired of the hassle. The lap band won't be the focus of this log, but it will certainly be a factor I think. And I hope that my experiences will help someone else. 

You can do it! I am on Day 2 only, but I also have put off the program longer than I care to admit. I am hoping that my anxiety and overweight issues will be resolved/able to be maintained after this 30 days. My sister's baby shower is Saturday so I thought about waiting until after, but when I realized I was always going to find a reason not to I'd never start!

Good luck on your journey! 

Welcome aboard!

What a brave thing for you to start this journey.  In reality, none of us are probably as prepared as we'd like to be when we start W30.  You'll get experience and input as you go along, muddle through other things and always have a good place to come back to here on the forum.

You sound like you're being very honest with yourself about your challenges health-wise and your insight will most surely help others.

I look forward to your success!

You've got this.  :)

On 8/9/2016 at 7:20 AM, SarahUlm said:

You can do it! I am on Day 2 only, but I also have put off the program longer than I care to admit. I am hoping that my anxiety and overweight issues will be resolved/able to be maintained after this 30 days. My sister's baby shower is Saturday so I thought about waiting until after, but when I realized I was always going to find a reason not to I'd never start!

Good luck on your journey! 

I'll think of you on Saturday! I'm having friends over for gaming, and there will be chips and cookies for snacking. We usually order pizza for dinner, but I'll be cooking a W30 compliant meal. I know we can do this!

On 8/9/2016 at 8:07 AM, Jager07 said:

Welcome aboard!

What a brave thing for you to start this journey.  In reality, none of us are probably as prepared as we'd like to be when we start W30.  You'll get experience and input as you go along, muddle through other things and always have a good place to come back to here on the forum.

You sound like you're being very honest with yourself about your challenges health-wise and your insight will most surely help others.

I look forward to your success!

You've got this.  :)

Thank you so much for your kind words. It does feel brave, and I appreciate the acknowledgment and encouragement.

Day 1 -- Tuesday, 09 August, 2016

Day 1 went by pretty well. I only ate two meals because I slept late and went to bed early. My body is telling me that a fibro flare is on it's way, and I needed some extra time in bed because of that. 

Meal 1: 1 hard boiled egg, an avocado, and a few bites of tomato. I put four eggs on my plate, and a whole tomato, cut in quarters, and the avocado. I knew I wouldn't manage all of it. I chose to eat the avocado first because, well, avocado! And, I knew it wouldn't save well for a later meal. I covered this and put it in the fridge for later.

Meal 2: About five ounces of pan-fried rib eye steak, 3/4 of a baked potato, a cup of roasted Brussels Sprouts, and a cup of watermelon. I was surprised I ate that much without causing issues with my lap band. I ate slowly and chewed well. And, I didn't eat the watermelon until after I'd cleared the table and rinsed off the dishes. 

I'd been eating lots of whole foods (along with junk, I admit) in the week approaching W30, so I'm already seeing some good blood sugar numbers. My blood sugar was 83 when I went to bed last night -- and that was about two hours after I ate that big dinner with watermelon. I didn't take my night-time insulin. I woke up at about 1:00 AM and took my BS again, and it was 113, so I didn't take it then either. I expected to have an awful number when I woke up but it was 103. That is amazing. I usually take 40 units of Lantus at bedtime, so this is kind of mind blowing!

I am brand new to the Whole30 too! On Day 3.  I am dealing with snoring, insomnia, high cholesterol, allergies ( constant stuffiness and drippiness) and chronic headaches. 

You are an inspiration!  I am amazed at your early success with your blood sugar. I look forward to following you on your journey!

22 hours ago, Robin R. said:

I am brand new to the Whole30 too! On Day 3.  I am dealing with snoring, insomnia, high cholesterol, allergies ( constant stuffiness and drippiness) and chronic headaches. 

You are an inspiration!  I am amazed at your early success with your blood sugar. I look forward to following you on your journey!

Robin, thanks so much for introducing yourself. I wish you much success during your Whole30. I also have mild allergies and they have already eased up some. I hope you find relief soon -- especially with the allergies and the headaches! I know how they can impact your daily life, 

The early success with my blood sugar continues! I didn't take my night-time insulin again last night.

Day 2 -- Wednesday, 10 August, 2016

I know I"m still very much in the honeymoon phase with Whole30, but I'm loving it. I know it will get harder as the time goes, but today I feel good and I'm enjoying my food.

Meal 1: Two hard boiled eggs, an avocado, and 1/4 of a tomato.

Meal 2: One hard boiled egg, an avocado, and 1/4 of a tomato (this may end up being my go-to meal.)

Meal 3: Half a hamburger patty, about 5 Brussels sprouts halves w/clarified butter, and 3/4 cup watermelon

Another day with no night-time insulin, and my blood sugar was 111 when I woke up this morning. This is crazy-amazing! I am prescribed 52 units of insulin a day (12 units of fast-acting Humulog and 40 units of Lantus, a basal insulin). On day 1 I took eight units and on Day 2, I took six. 

I was a little melancholy and I was in a lot of pain. I stayed close to my bed all day. 

Thank you for the encouragement!  I woke up this morning and my allergies were blown. Nose running like crazy! That's okay because I understand it can get worse before it gets better! 

I continue to be amazed by your blood sugar results!  There is diabetes in my family and so far I have been fine.  I want to keep it that way!  

Keep up the good work! I am also posting here every day and I find it helps me hold myself accountable.

Day 3 -- Wednesday, 11 August, 2016

I actually felt pretty good -- much better than my melancholy day. I recently moved and I had energy to unpack several boxes. 

Meal 1: one boiled egg, half a tomato, and half an avocado.

Meal 2: one hamburger patty, about half a cup of mushrooms & asparagus sauteed in clarified butter.

1 bottle of komucha (I was having a pretty drastic low, so I reached for a brand that is a little sweeter.)

Meal 3: half a hamburger patty, half a cup of mushrooms and asparagus, 3/4 cup of grapes.

I posted in the troubleshooting forum that I didn't think I was getting enough food, especially enough protein. It was suggested that I try to eat four smaller meals, whether I think I'm hungry or not. I'd forgotten that the book talks about the fact that we often can't trust those hunger signals -- or lack of them. I'll certainly try that and see if works. 

On 8/14/2016 at 7:15 AM, Robin R. said:

Good for you!  Baby steps.  Actually I was worried that you might not be eating enough and am glad that you got help from the experts in the troubleshooting forum.  

I look forward to hearing how you have been doing over the weekend!

Thanks so much for reaching out, Robin The week-end was a mess. I'm about to post about it now. I hope you're doing well!

Day 4 -- Thursday, 12 August through Sunday, 14 August, 2016

Thursday was so long ago ... I don't remember what I ate! I've been relying on this forum to be my food long, but I've started writing my food down to make it easier to post. I can tell you that I felt okay and my eating was compliant, if not enough. YAY for me!

Friday, I was so sick. I spent most of the day in bed or in the bathroom. Not only was my stomach upset, I had diarrhea, too. I don't think it was W30 related, as my husband came home from a work early a couple of days before because he was sick. I think I picked up some kind of bug from him. Usually, I don't catch everything he does, but because my body was getting used to W30, my immune system wasn't as efficient as it usually is? I dunno. I was much sicker than he was. Nothing was staying down and my blood sugar was getting low, so I ate some watermelon slowly. Not a whole meal, just the fruit. I chewed very slowly, and swallowed carefully. That stayed down and my blood sugar normalized. Later in the evening, I got hungry, so I made two scrambled eggs and reheated some mushrooms and asparagus and added some olives. None of that stayed down. I can't remember everything I tried to eat, but the watermelon was the only thing that stayed down, so I had some more before bed.

Saturday. I felt much better on Saturday, thank goodness, because we were slated to have company over for gaming in the evening. That meant there would be lots of snacks, so I decided to allow myself to snack on compliant food if necessary. I figured a little fruit by itself was better than giving in to the call of chips and cookies. As it turned out, I didn't need to do that. 

But back to earlier in the day: Because I'd thrown up so much the day before, my band was really aggravated and tender. Even though I felt much better, it was still hard for me to keep anything but liquids down. After a failed breakfast attempt, I decided not to keep aggravating it, so I didn't eat until company came. For dinner we had slow-cooker rotisserie chicken from The Prairie Homestead's blog. Everyone raved about it. And it was good. I had a few ounces of breast meat, a few chunks of carrots with clarified butter and about half a cup of green beans. Unfortunately, that didn't stay down. Before bed, I had a couple of forks full of fresh pineapple chunks. That stayed down. Good thing, because my blood sugar was understandably low (and falling). Somewhere in there, I had some dry-roasted macadamia nuts, too.

Sunday. I was about to give up, so I didn't keep track of what I ate and what stayed down. i did, however, only eat compliant foods (just in case I decided to go on).I was frustrated and a little disheartened. It felt like this was all too hard. Not from a cravings point-of-view. From that standpoint, it's been really easy, even in the social situation. And not from a timeline point-of-view, either. I didn't have much of a hangover, nor did I want to kill all things. And today (Monday, Day 7, as I write this), I don't really want to nap. I don't have any extra energy, but I don't have any less than I usually have either. Maybe I'm stuck in the first couple of days, because from most perspectives, I'm wondering what the big deal is.

But the lap band thing ... I'm having more trouble with my band than I had when I first got it, I think! And so, sometimes, I just want to eat the food that stays down with no problems. I know I have a flare for the dramatic, but really -- I'm surprised I'm not weak with hunger. I know I probably sound like a broken record, and I don't want to come off as blaming my band for my failures. And really, I don't think I've failed. I just didn't expect this to be so hard, in this one area. I really thought the cravings would be harder for me to deal with.

Day 8 -- Monday, 15 August, 2016

Well, I've made it past the first week. Woot! I'm pretty excited. And, that also means I'm about 25% done with the W30. For some reason, that's kind of sad. I know I can extend it for as long as I'd like, but just knowing that I'm that far into this ... I don't know how to explain my feeling. 

Meal 1: Almost two scrambled eggs and about 3/4 cup broccoli with clarified butter. 

Meal 2: About 3/4 cup homemade hash: leftover rib eye steak, potatoes, and carrots. About 1/2 cup broccoli with clarified butter, eight olives. 

I made it through a good part of the day not wanting to nap. I was fairly productive and got some much needed things done. Then, I lay down for a little bit to read. And, I fell asleep and slept sounding for quite a long time. In fact, I woke up, got ready for bed and settled in for the night. Thus, there's no Meal 3. 

Archived