Coconut Milk Annoyance

Sorry if this seems trivial, but I wanted to see if anyone else experienced this issue with canned coconut milk and offer ways of fixing it.

I love coconut milk in my coffee! I just find it troublesome when getting it from a can. I know it's better to get it from a can (Nature's Forest), right?

So I open the can and get a scoop of the CM into my coffee. I put the can in the fridge. The remaining milk solidifies and gets super hard. When i go to get more of the CM later, I have to battle with the can to scoop it out and any liquid "pops" out, thus making a big mess.

I've also tried opening a fresh can, using it, and putting the remaining milk in a glass Tupperware, to avoid the liquid exploding mess, but that seems like a lot of work because I'll probably use the remaining milk that day, and have to clean the Tupperware out, only to do the next thing next day.

I know it sounds lame. I'm just looking for ways to simply if possible!

• Administrators

If you have a stick blender/immersion blender, dump it all into a wide mouth mason jar and blend all together. It should stay combined if get somewhat hard in teh fridge. You can then just scoop out what you want. For coffee I usually just spoon a lump into my cup and it melts instantly and combines with the coffee very nicely.

You shouldn't leave any canned good in the can once it's been opened, btw.  Always put opened canned goods into a new, clean vessel and recycle the can.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Karen_Suep said:

I scoop off the cream and whip it. It has a "faux latte" kinda feel or like whipped cream in hot chocolate. I love it but I still miss the feeling of heavy cream. 

The closest I've found to the mouth feel of heavy cream in my coffee is when I put coconut oil and coconut milk in the coffee and blend it (you can't just stir or you get an oil slick on top of the coffee). I'm OK with just the coconut milk, but occasionally use both because I miss the thickness? Creaminess? Whatever it is about heavy cream that nothing quite seems to replicate. 

I was concerned about this same issue, so what I did on the first day was stir the coconut milk up really well.  Then I poured it into an ice cube tray and froze it for an hour. I popped out the cubes and put in a freezer bag.  Every morning I put two in my hot coffee and they melt!  It is perfect.  A friend of mine doing the Whole30 whips hers up into a froth and puts on her coffee and tops with a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg.  She says it is like a latte!

Archived