Starting First W30 on 8/14/16

Tinkcabell

Hi! I'm Tink. Starting my first W30 this coming Sunday. I would love to join a group if any are starting or have recently started. I have a wedding coming up on the 27th, so I might be doing a W14 then a W30. I know it says to wait until after any big events to start, but I am a teacher and want to start this process before I have to deal with the chaos of the first weeks of school...especially as I have a long commute.

I have been dealing with pre-hypertension for years and this year actually became hypertensive and put on medication. I am not the most organized person in the world and remembering to take meds every day is just not working for me. I just want off of them. I also now take sinus/allergy medicine everyday...when I can remember. I would like to get off of those too, but I have had clogged sinuses pretty much since birth.

I was doing very well with exercise this summer, but then my birthday week rolled around and things went downhill, which means I came to a complete standstill and haven't really moved in about 10 days...maybe more. (And yes, I am an ellipses abuser, and I refuse to change.)

I just turned 46, I am obese, and I am an emotional eater. I would like to have a normal relationship with food and that is why I am doing the W30.

1 minute ago, Tinkcabell said:

Hi! I'm Tink. Starting my first W30 this coming Sunday. I would love to join a group if any are starting or have recently started. I have a wedding coming up on the 27th, so I might be doing a W14 then a W30. I know it says to wait until after any big events to start, but I am a teacher and want to start this process before I have to deal with the chaos of the first weeks of school...especially as I have a long commute.

Hi there, Tink! Kudos on getting started ahead of the rest of your life getting complicated - the hardest things were getting organized and getting used to all of the cooking (the more prep you do, the easier it becomes, so many hours in Week 1 turns into a handful of hours in Week 3). Now that those roadblocks have been removed for me, I'm eating (mostly) W30 compliant even weeks after I finished my W30. I can definitely understand wanting to tackle those roadblocks before school starts.

Just know that you might feel like junk for a couple of weeks (depending on how you ate before), only to off-road, come back, and feel like junk some more. Please also take the time to plan time to take better care of yourself during the 14+30 - you'll need a little extra TLC, and when the stress of school begins on the second part, you will REALLY need the TLC in order to stay strong. Plan some non-food rewards, like a haircut or a shopping trip for a new pair of jeans, like you do your meal plan. Another thing I do now that helps me take better care of myself is to set a time for "no more cell phone/tablet/computer/TV", spend 30 minutes reading and drinking some decaf green tea, and then lights out at a specific time. It helps me sleep better and gives me a chance to detox from the day.

That last part is kind of hard because I do most of my reading electronically. I either read on my phone/tablet/laptop or listen to an audiobook as I fall asleep. Actually, I always fall asleep to audiobooks.   

And for what would I be rewarding myself? Staying food compliant? (That sounds sarcastic in my head, but I do not mean it to sound that way.)

2 minutes ago, Tinkcabell said:

That last part is kind of hard because I do most of my reading electronically. I either read on my phone/tablet/laptop or listen to an audiobook as I fall asleep. Actually, I always fall asleep to audiobooks.   

And for what would I be rewarding myself? Staying food compliant? (That sounds sarcastic in my head, but I do not mean it to sound that way.)

You don't *have* to read, it's just generally recommended that screen/electronics usage stops 30 minutes before sleep. I thought it was a load of blarney until I tried it, to be honest.

Rewarding yourself for doing something so wonderful - yet difficult - and sticking with it. Since food should not be seen as a reward, doing non-food rewards during the program helps you rewire that piece. Especially if you have stress/anxiety/depression and have an unhealthy relationship with food, this is important. I'm an emotional eater too, and it's critically important that you teach your mind that food is not solace or a reward.

34 minutes ago, Staggolee41 said:

Rewarding yourself for doing something so wonderful - yet difficult - and sticking with it. Since food should not be seen as a reward, doing non-food rewards during the program helps you rewire that piece. Especially if you have stress/anxiety/depression and have an unhealthy relationship with food, this is important. I'm an emotional eater too, and it's critically important that you teach your mind that food is not solace or a reward.

Ah. I see.

Tink,

I will be restarting on the 15th. I always start new ventures on Mondays. Well that's my official restart but I am mostly eating compliant meals now. I am 63 with a 15 yr old daughter that I want to be healthy for.

LydiaJo

Hi Tink!

I'm starting Sunday, just like you.  It's my first Whole30, and I too am struggling with my relationship with food.  I'm a 39 year old yo-yo dieter, trying to avoid the Type 2 diabetes that is plaguing many other members of my family. I hope we can encourage each other as we tackle this.

Good luck to us both!

FFF

Hi Tink!

I started today too. Anxious, apprehensive, worried to let myself down are just three of the thoughts going through my head. I'm sure we all have these feelings but onwards and upwards. I've struggled with lack of motivation, self confidence and weight issues for a long time; but the main reason I'm doing this is for my long term health and fitness. I've had IBS and digestive issues for many years and hoping this is going to sort me out..... 

Good luck to all x

On 8/14/2016 at 11:16 AM, Natnewbie said:

Hi Tink!

I started today too. Anxious, apprehensive, worried to let myself down are just three of the thoughts going through my head. I'm sure we all have these feelings but onwards and upwards. I've struggled with lack of motivation, self confidence and weight issues for a long time; but the main reason I'm doing this is for my long term health and fitness. I've had IBS and digestive issues for many years and hoping this is going to sort me out..... 

Good luck to all x

I've struggled with many of the same issues. Now hypertension is something I am dealing with. I want off that ride.

On 8/14/2016 at 3:09 AM, FoodFreedomFighter said:

Hi Tink!

I'm starting Sunday, just like you.  It's my first Whole30, and I too am struggling with my relationship with food.  I'm a 39 year old yo-yo dieter, trying to avoid the Type 2 diabetes that is plaguing many other members of my family. I hope we can encourage each other as we tackle this.

Good luck to us both!

FFF

I too want to avoid becoming diabetic.

Hello all :)

Started today, August 15. Hoping this may help reduce joint inflamation and give me more energy. Also I want to stop some bad food/drink habits that I think are often due to a lack of organization (no breakfast, get hungry...) or stress. I've always been thin, even underweight, but I've put on an extra 7 kilos the past couple of years with age/hormonal changes, and I'd like to lose 4-5 of those - I guess that would be about 10 pounds.

Day 1 not so bad. I sure am glad coffee is allowed :) 

My summer holiday is over and tomorrow it's back to work. That will be more challenging for sure.

Good luck to all!!!

On 8/14/2016 at 3:09 AM, FoodFreedomFighter said:

Hi Tink!

Good luck 

5 minutes ago, FoodFreedomFighter said:

So how'd everybody's Day 1 go? How'd Day 2 panning out so far?

Would you guys like to start a group Whole30 Log in that forum so we can share how we're all doing?

I would like to do that. The how of that was going to be my next question.

As for tomorrow, i have a carrot/butternut squash soup in the slow cooker. I bought shrimp, chicken breasts and have some pork chops in the freezer. I want to try the walnut pork from the Whole 30 book.

11 minutes ago, Tinkcabell said:

I would like to do that. The how of that was going to be my next question.

As for tomorrow, i have a carrot/butternut squash soup in the slow cooker. I bought shrimp, chicken breasts and have some pork chops in the freezer. I want to try the walnut pork from the Whole 30 book.

Yay! Since you're game, I started one.  You can find it here:

The walnut pork sounds so yummy! I tried out the Pork Chops with spiced applesauce (p. 258) and it got the "thumbs up" from my hubby and 5 y/o (well, just the pork chop, not the applesauce and frisèe, but y'know, he's 5).

Archived