New Lara Bars

rbesser

Today I at whole foods I saw a new type of lara bar. They are called organic "superfood" bars. I'm not sure if they are approved though because they have cocoa powder and cocoa nibs. I know we can have 100% real cocoa powder but I wasn't sure if this is included (and I have no idea what cocoa nibs are). Here are the links: 

http://www.larabar.com/our-products/larabar-organic-with-superfoods/hazelnut-hemp-cacao

http://www.larabar.com/our-products/larabar-organic-with-superfoods/coconut-kale-cacao

http://www.larabar.com/our-products/larabar-organic-with-superfoods/turmeric-ginger-beet

Thank you 

• Moderators

These are technically okay, but probably not a great choice during Whole30.

Larabars in general, and especially ones that contain cocoa of any sort, are getting as close to a candy bar as you can get and still be technically Whole30 compliant. They are for emergencies only, when you have no other options. If you're looking for things that you can carry with you in case you are out somewhere between meals and are super hungry, go for things like jerky, Epic bars, pouches/cans of tuna, salmon, sardines, or chicken, hard boiled eggs, or leftovers.

Yep that exactly how I use them! But this is my 3rd whole30 and I eat mostly complaint even when I am not doing a 30 so lara bars are getting old (I'm not a big bars person but they are great in emergencies). Thats why I was excited when I saw new bars that could be compliant! 

• Moderators

I would strongly disagree that these are technically compliant.  Cocoa is only allowed for making things savory, like Chocolate Chili, not for making compliant versions of sweet treats.  Cocoa nibs are compressed cocoa.

This would not be compliant if you made it at home and the fact that it's a Larabar of which they're only technically compliant makes it extremely questionable.

19 hours ago, kirkor said:

I've done at least 4 or 5 W30s and I still don't understand all these food emergencies that people are always concerned about. 

How I imagine the thought process usually goes:

"Mmm. Larabars. Better get a bunch in case I have a food emergency."

Later: "Oh, no! A food emergency! Good thing I bought those larabars!"

• 5 months later...

2 QUESTIONS: So are these compliant? LARABAR ORGANIC WITH SUPERFOODS TURMERIC, GINGER & BEET?    2)  Tessemae's Honey Mustard Salad Dressing. Followed the link to the website and thought it was all approved. I have a six oz bottle, and have used in almost 30 days (28 today) only 1/2 the bottle. It does have honey in it.  SO, what does that mean? I think other than that I have been perfectly compliant. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, revdrw said:

2 QUESTIONS: So are these compliant? LARABAR ORGANIC WITH SUPERFOODS TURMERIC, GINGER & BEET?    2)  Tessemae's Honey Mustard Salad Dressing. Followed the link to the website and thought it was all approved. I have a six oz bottle, and have used in almost 30 days (28 today) only 1/2 the bottle. It does have honey in it.  SO, what does that mean? I think other than that I have been perfectly compliant. 

Companies can change their recipes or add new products -- you are always responsible for reading ingredients for yourself, no matter where you got the link to a product. That is a huge part of the program, reading labels and learning what's in your food.

Anything with honey or any other sweetener is not compliant, so the salad dressing is out. Tessemae's has two or three varieties that are not compliant due to sweeteners or soy -- they do have it set up on their website so that you can look at only the Whole30 compliant ones, but even then, as I said, you should always read the label before you consume the product.

The Larabar is compliant, although keep in mind that you shouldn't rely on bars of any kind regularly, they're intended as an option in a situation where you have no other possible choices -- like stuck in an airport or in traffic and you're so hungry you're about ready to chew your arm off. They're as close to a candy bar as you can get on Whole30 and there are much better options for most people in most situations.

As for what you do now, read this article and decide for yourself.

3 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

s, but even then, as I said, you should always read the label before you consume the product.

Case in point: I got the Tessemae's buffalo sauce because I love spicy. But it does not have the WHole30 logo on it , probs because it's made with Sunflower oil. I guess if I ate it away from home it would be okay ;-)

11 hours ago, Guadopt1997 said:

Case in point: I got the Tessemae's buffalo sauce because I love spicy. But it does not have the WHole30 logo on it , probs because it's made with Sunflower oil. I guess if I ate it away from home it would be okay ;-)

Tessemae's uses high oleic sunflower oil, which has nearly the same nutritional profile as olive oil. You can use it at home. 

Not having a "Whole 30" sticker on it means exactly nothing. A quick google of "tessemae's sunflower oil" would give you this that explains it all: http://whole30.com/2016/01/tessemaes-organic/

From all I read on this forum, the consensus seems to be that Lara bars are the least compliant of all compliant foods. It seems to me that Lara bars were around before any other "healthy" snack bars so it was only logical that Whole 30 made an exception so that people would have something in an emergency situation. Now that you have healthier alternatives like Epic bars though, there's really no reason one would ever need to eat a Lara bar. In my opinion, eating a Lara bar is no different than making paleo pizza or pancakes.

51 minutes ago, manley0702 said:

From all I read on this forum, the consensus seems to be that Lara bars are the least compliant of all compliant foods. It seems to me that Lara bars were around before any other "healthy" snack bars so it was only logical that Whole 30 made an exception so that people would have something in an emergency situation. Now that you have healthier alternatives like Epic bars though, there's really no reason one would ever need to eat a Lara bar. In my opinion, eating a Lara bar is no different than making paleo pizza or pancakes.

There are rules and there are recommendations. This clears it up. 

Compliant Lara Bars are compliant. Compliant Epic bars are compliant.

I love that Melissa says in that post that she's used Epic bars as a bacon-bit type thing on salads. Before I found that the proscuitto at Trader Joe's was compliant (as of last year, always check labels!), I found I was missing that pork-y saltiness from cooking veg with a little bacon. There was no way I could justify spending $8 on a little bit of bacon at WholeFoods and I wish I'd thought to use a little bit of a compliant Epic bar chopped up and thrown in with those veggies. 

Archived