My First Whole30: Week 1

HumblyHopeful

Thursday, August 11, 2016:  Day 7

After day 1 of headaches and hunger...

Days 2 - 3 getting hungry between meals even though I ate enough at each meal to feel my stomach stretch...

Days 4 - 5 craving coffee - delicious, sweet coffee…

*Day 4 - 5 I was with my mom and sister for my mom's b-day.  It was a struggle to turn down the chocolate ganache cake, to prepare my own food, and especially to not share in the morning coffee ritual with my mom and sister.  They were supportive and we still had a great time together!  

And day 6 of craving treats that anyone within earshot mentioned, and as such was the worst day for combatting that Sugar Dragon beast.

Some struggles I still am working through are that I am still only getting about 5 hours of sleep.  I will usually wake up around 2 - 3 a.m. and stay awake until 6 a.m.  I finally ate within the hour of waking up this morning when I realized I couldn’t go back to sleep.  This adds an extra meal in my three meals/day, which I guess is okay.  The temptation to step on the scale or measure my body has been infrequent and fleeting, but I still need to be conscious of my desire to value myself based on a number.

I have noticed some positive changes in myself that I’ve not seen for a long time as I complete week one of my first Whole30.  I have gradually felt better and noticed positive changes in my attitude, mental state, and physical attributes.  My skin is clearing up, my goiter is not as swollen, and the most significant change though…

…and this is TMI…

…is that I finally ovulated!  I have been under doctor care for infertility.  My doctor introduced me to W30 and it seems to work as this is the only change I've made.  If it keeps me off meds and gets me back to my active, healthy lifestyle then every struggle is worth it.  I am excited and surprised that within one week of my Whole30 I have actually ovulated!

Anyway, my goal today is to go swimming, maybe watch some t.v. and prepare for this coming school year.  I can't wait to see my students and to have more energy this school year!

I really hope this process gets easier and I can overcome a number of health issues.  

Congrats on the TMI info!  :)  I was under a doctor's care for infertility as well years ago.  We ended up adopting three beautiful babies in a span of four years via open adoption.  I am convinced they came to me the way they were supposed to.  Because I was being treating for chronic headache pain, I had no idea how I could go 9 long months without pain medication.  So very excited for you as you start your journey! My goal these days is to rid myself of chronic pain, insomnia, high cholesterol, chronically runny nose and just to feel better all around!!  My oesteopath treating me for headaches recommended it to me.  I am on Day 5 of my first Whole30.  Keep up the good work!  

Thank you :D  I am so happy for you and your family; of course your babies came to you the way they were supposed to!  Adoption is certainly on the table for us, but the idea of possibly becoming pregnant is very exciting. 

I hope your finish week one strong and that this program helps alleviate your pain.  You have a good osteopath for recommending this to you; maybe you will be able to reduce or go off of your pain meds!

You are so welcome!  I am excited to follow your journey.  

Starting Day 7 and, so far, so good.  Am logging my adventure in Your Whole30 log every day!  So far, the health issues that seem to be resolving are the chronically runny nose. Day 2 of that being so much better!  I am very excited about that alone as it is very early yet.  My oesteopath is awesome!  Kept recommend the W30 to her patients, then decided to do it herself.  She liked it so much, she is continuing for now!  I hope to mostly continue but able to have different favorite things as treats after the reintroduction phase depending on how I react to them.

I realize that I never posted in here why am doing the Whole30.  Here is my initial post on the introduction stage!  Today I am starting Day 7.

My oesteopath who is treating me for chronic headaches (which I have had for 45ish years), but is also aware of my allergies, recommend that I start the Whole30. I bought It Starts with Food and the Whole30 (30 day guide...) and have now now read both from cover to cover!  I love reading about nutrition and how it affects your health but I have to say this was the most interesting and comprehensive reading on this subject that I have ever done. I even, surprisingly, enjoyed the science-y stuff.  I decided to start the program yesterday, after our 1 week vacation and the resulting indulgences.  I was feeling bloated and tired, in spite of having the most relaxing vacation ever!  I love to eat and I love to cook, so once I get in the swing of this, I am certain that I will be able to stick it out.  I will do anything to be able to get off pain, sleep, and anxiety meds. The Whole30's simple approach made perfect sense to me!  I am guessing the things that will be the hardest for me to give up will be my glass of wine in the evening and my milk with meals. I LOVE my milk!   I had Poland Spring's sparkling water with a slice of lime in a wineglass instead.  Very excited to join this community of support!

Good for you and your sinuses, Robin; and based on the amount of post-vacation bloat you had, that must have been a great trip!!!  Friday night I treated myself with La Croix Coconut water with a slice of watermelon rind that had a sliver of watermelon fruit.  And I lined the rim of the glass with salt...very naughty by caving to my mental desire for a Friday night drink, but oh so delicious.

Whole30 Day 10:

This morning I tested my will power & wanted to see at what level my cravings were.  We went to our breakfast joint and my coffee/pancake cravings were gone.  Well, the cravings were gone, but mentally I was upset because I really, really wanted to indulge.  Despite the possible attempt at self-sabatoge under the guise of "testing" myself, I ordered a dry salad with grilled chicken.  The restaurant did not have olive oil, so the waitress brought me Italian dressing.  I pushed the dressing away and ate all of the chicken and as much of the veggies as I could eat since I had a bowl of veggies before we went out.  

Physically and emotionally I feel pretty good now.  Emotionally I was lucky because even though my fiancé is not doing the program with me 100%, he is "on the program while he is with" me... "mostly."  Which is better than nothing and huge sign of support on his behalf.

Another test today will be my second trip the movies with my sister and cousin.  I will have to avoid that delicious coke and popcorn.  Also, mentally I associate treats very closely with watching movies and being with family, so I am debating if I should bring some raw veggies to munch on during the movie, or if this will just further solidify my desire to eat while at the movies...

You are much braver than I am!  But your Friday night drink sounds amazing! I made the Rosemary Berry Splash with Blueberries on Friday night and it was very good!  

My husband is doing the same.  Eating mostly Whole30 with me and showing me support by buying all of the various little grocery items I need without blinking an eye!

I hope you did well at the movies!

Tuesday, August 16:  Day 12

Sunday at the movies went really well; I even held the popcorn for the warmth, but didn't have or want any.  My sister tried to put some popcorn in my mouth (sisters...), so I just held my mouth shut.  It worked :) I decided not to take any snacks or treats just to avoid feeding into the habit of munching while at the movies & it was the right decision.

The labs came back yesterday & my doctor officially will not put me on meds as my hormonal levels are starting to balance out.  We have decided I will continue with the program for 3 months to give my body time to heal and to stabilize my hormones.

TMI, guys, TMI to follow:

My first menses on the program is horrible.  The cravings are gone!  But, the cramps, nausea, and migraines are slightly worse than before.  This worried me a little bit, so I looked it up on the site and around the web.  There wasn't much info that I found, but I think & I hope this is just my body doing its healing-hormonal balancing thing.  I couldn't keep turkey or fish in my mouth dring lunch or dinner.  I forced myself to eat the turkey for lunch, but I just couldn't eat dinner.  I spent the last 11 hours shut down with a migraine, which is better in length than it used to be (@ 17+ hours).  The great thing about my menses this time is that I actually started on the day I was supposed to start & the cravings for any food are gone.

Wow!  I am totally impressed with you.  Resisting popcorn pressed to your mouth at the movies!

I am willing to bet that the tough part of tough part of having your period is all perfectly normal and will get better as your body heals.  But no cravings AND hormonal levels balancing out.  Excellent news!

Keep up the great work!

• 3 weeks later...

September 5th Whole 30

First Whole30 FAILED on day 27.  After a 9 hr meeting with only a 20 minute break I went home with a migraine.  Then my partner and I went to our scheduled couples counseling, which did nothing but cause an argument.  Afterwards, he brought me chicken wings from Buffalo Wild Wings and I went to sleep.  From Thursday through yesterday I completely went off the rails and indulged in sugar.  I now know that I don't care for chocolate cake, Starbucks, or very many bread things.  I had no cravings for cheap candy either.  Instead I ate chicken wings and caesar salads...and Coke.  I had two slices of pizza and Italian cream cake.  I ate bruschetta and 

Aside from feeling like a complete loser, including the dissolution of a long-term relationship, I have no idea how I am going to do the Whole30 straight for 3 - 6 months like my doctor wants.  I meet with the endocrinologist for the first time in a week, so maybe after a week of my second attempt at a Whole30 + there will be good news.  The hardest part about the Whole 30 is that I have to do the AutoImmune protocol, the low-fodmap plan, and the low-histamine plan.  

Hopefully this will last the full 3-6 months straight through and everything will fall into place.  

Archived