Aug 15 - Whole 30 start date - anyone else?

tdg

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone - it is good to hear that I am not alone :P. I am a single mom with two teenage boys so the whole "clean out the house" thing is a little complicated. However am starting today and I look forward to touching base with everyone and sharing the journey.

How is everyone feeling on Day 1 (ish)?

I am feeling somewhat resigned and a little apprehensive. I have put things in place and look forward to starting this journey.

I started today too!

Expected to be feeling fine this morning, but I already have a headache kicking in. I'm going to blame it on the dentist visit this morning and look forward to a lunch of grilled chicken salad this afternoon.

tdg, you got this! Way to take on the challenge with having teenage boys around!

gbeers9... I have the headache too... the boys are with their dad today and tomorrow so that gives me breathing room. Headache kicked in at about 11. I am hoping that it is caffeine so am just finishing up lunch then will make myself a cup of tea and see if that helps.

Gulp!  :wacko:

6 minutes ago, tdg said:

gbeers9... I have the headache too... the boys are with their dad today and tomorrow so that gives me breathing room. Headache kicked in at about 11. I am hoping that it is caffeine so am just finishing up lunch then will make myself a cup of tea and see if that helps.

Gulp!  :wacko:

Hello all! Congrats on getting started. I finished my first W30 a month ago.

I just wanted to say that headaches and fatigue are very common the first few days. This is the time to really tune in to your body - a headache could be caffeine-related :), but it could also be a cry for water or rest. Make sure you shoot for the 1/2 oz per pound of body weight goal for water and get a little extra rest (if your body seems to need it).

Also - W30 with two teenage boys - talk about hard mode! You go girl! Stick with it!

Hey all!

What an exciting first step on this journey to improved health and wellness! I hope you share along the way and know you're not alone! I'm new too- just started Saturday. I am shocked I haven't tore apart my cupboards to find a little morsel of sugar but I'm making sure to eat a lot. It feels like too much but we will see how things level out. And I was kind of lazy this weekend and my brain can't really click into the right gear... I think more water and time will help.

The food I've made so far tastes incredible! Lots of fantastic meals- lime/mustard/cilantro chicken, roasted cauliflower coated with an incredible dressing, sweet potato hash, stir fry with this citrus dressing in the whole 30 cookbook. Im always happy to share recipes!

Good luck and I hope to hear updates from you!

7 hours ago, tdg said:

Hi Everyone - it is good to hear that I am not alone :P. I am a single mom with two teenage boys so the whole "clean out the house" thing is a little complicated. However am starting today and I look forward to touching base with everyone and sharing the journey.

How is everyone feeling on Day 1 (ish)?

I am feeling somewhat resigned and a little apprehensive. I have put things in place and look forward to starting this journey.

Definitely not alone. I'm a "pushing 40" yo-yo dieting married mom of two small boys...and even at 5, my older son balked when I moved the sweets and snacks to a higher shelf. I started a day before you all (except Wendy K), so I'm on Day 2.  Here's how my Day 1 panned out:

For me, "the best laid plans oft go awry"...breakfast was waylaid by tandem tantrums from my 5 y/o and my 10 m/o.  Gotta "mom" before you "Whole30". Instead of my Diner Breakfast (Whole30, p.208), I had a makeshift salad with Italian sausage and an apple. The rest of the day rounded out ok...bought a compliant kale salad with chicken for lunch (reading those dressing ingredients, tho'...it's a quest to find one with compliant dressing!) and ended with Pork chops with spiced applesauce (Whole30, p.258) over frisèe (30 minutes late, but it's the first day). First lesson learned: preparation is the key to success. Last night, after the boys were in bed, I spent the time prepping all the veg for Diner Breakfast and for Cauliflower Rice (tonight's dinner side dish). The payoff: I was able to get the sausage and sweet potato hash done before the 10 m/o had his morning attempt to houdini out of his high chair and had to be fed. Once I fed him, all I had to add were the eggs and I got my planned breakfast in. Yes!

Now I'm prepping the veg to add to tonight's Roasted Citrus Chicken (Practical Paleo), so I think that will go smoother and hopefully on-time.

How about you all? How's Day 1 going for you?

3F

thanks Staggolee... am working on the water thing right now. It is now 3pm where I live... my usual low-point of the day. So I am taking my water and heading to the couch to put my feet up and watch others being amazingly athletic in Rio.

Gotta say I love google... I do have the cookbook but love being able to open my browser, type in the ingredients in the fridge and "whole 30" and whammo - a nice recipe came up. I had Dijon roasted pork tenderloin and cauli-rice for lunch. No matter what, still tastes like cauliflower. I don't like cauliflower :(. Lots and salt and paper and little of the homemade mayo helped. All the salt probably didn't help my headache.

FoodFreedomFighter... I think you are the one doing it the hard way. Teenagers can forage, with little ones you have to supervise the eating. Funny story: when my eldest was 2-3 he turned meals into a battleground. So we ended up just putting his whole meal in front of him at once... meat, veg, fruit, milk, dessert. He could eat them in whatever order he wanted, but got no more food till it was all gone. It worked! As they got older we also had a "3-bite" rule... You have to take at least 3 bites of everything on the plate and can use whatever sauce is in the fridge to gag it down. There was a year or two there where we thought of buying shares in Heinz ketchup! So hang in there... I was where you are... a 40+ mom with a 4 yr old and an under 1. You'll get through it just like I did. You will turn around one day and say "Okay, go brush your teeth and put on your pjs" and it will all take place just like magic. Believe me... it will happen.

HI everyone! 

I too started today! Breakfast was great and lunch was a bit heavy on the sauce for my liking. I have to say I've been concerned with the amount of ghee required for some of the recipes. But I guess, I need to trust the process. I have not had the headaches but have felt sloggish. I wonder if it's my body getting readjusted to my timezone. I hope you all have a great dinner!

Hi all! I started today, August 15! I did good all day but this evening I do have a headache. I drank my coffee black this morning with scrambled eggs and whatever veggies I had on hand along with 2 cutie oranges. Lunch was the protein salad with tuna. I totally failed making the mayo because I didn't use a room temp egg... Oh well, try again tomorrow! Tonight I had a hamburger with sweet potato "bun" and sautéed broccoli :) as  a snack I had some almond butter and a banana... I'm hungry again and it's 8:30 pm. Hope I can sleep tonight! I'm going to try some sleepy tea.

My husband and I also started today - our second attempt after the first lasted only 17 days due to some bad planning on our part with a vacation. 

I'm a grad school in nutritional science dropout (have three daughters in private school and went back to work to keep them there), so I've been a fan of the Whole 30 approach for several years. I was a pretty disciplined eater and exerciser until a combo of ugly work situation plus resulting marriage challenges sent me back to some long overcome bad stress eating and drinking habits. My husband is a Type 2 diabetic who would really like to get off some of the meds he's on. I'm one hundred percent certain this plan will help him. At his checkup today his numbers were *not* good, but he's been promised if he gets them back down he can go off some of the meds and the once a week shots he just had to start. :( My goals are most straightforward - get rid of the spare tire and fit back into all the work clothes in the back of my closet that are just slightly too tight to be appropriate. 

Day 1 food/prep was good, thanks to my dear 13 year old daughter who cleaned out and compartmentalized the fridge AND helped with dinner. Tomorrow I'll tackle the pantry to do the same - Mom/Dad food on one side, kids on the other. My girls are pretty health conscious eaters because of my years in school, so the compromise we've set up is that they can have whatever they want for breakfast and lunch (within reason) but dinner is Whole30 (plus occasional ice cream for them).  Maybe that will work for your boys?

I'm looking forward to checking in here regularly - accountability is huge for me as well. I'll quietly confess I'm not keen on the social media propaganda / drive all your friends away with lots of #Whole30 social media hashtaggery (I have a background in marketing - it's a slick brand building strategy). But I do know from other social media groups I'm in for other kinds of support that this kind of interaction is enormously helpful. Good luck to everyone!

18 hours ago, tdg said:

... All the salt probably didn't help my headache....

Actually, no, it probably did. Water is vital, but salt is too - switching to a Whole food diet can decrease sodium intake by around 70% so salting food is really important - lack of salt can result in headaches, fogginess, dizzy spells, cramps & nausea - keep on salting!

17 hours ago, cmf562 said:

I have to say I've been concerned with the amount of ghee required for some of the recipes.

Fat is your friend here - needed for brain health, energy, and to transport those vital fat soluble vitamins around the body - it will also keep hunger & cravings at bay - embrace it!

Onwards & upwards people.....!!

Good Day 2 morning everyone. I slept for 8.5 hours last night. Feeling better this morning and on my second cup of coffee with coconut milk. I decided to maintain my 2-cup-per-day habit for the time being.

Proud to say that I stayed compliant all day yesterday. And thanks to your support I drank the water and my headache diminished. I appreciated the tip.

My plan with the teenage boys is for me to cook evening meals and they will be Whole 30 with some extras for them. For example, tonight we are having homemade tomato sauce with spaghetti squash "noodles". This is not hard for my boys as we have had this many times before. I have some leftover frozen chicken so will add that to the sauce. I will then set aside my portion and add cheese rinds to theirs and let it simmer away a little longer. They can make their own garlic bread to go with - they know how.

For breakfast and lunch they feed themselves. The eldest (18) sometimes doesn't even get up until noon anyway! While I have always encouraged healthy eating for them, I like to call my sons "experiential learners" in that they have to make their own mistakes before learning lessons. The good news is that they are adventurous eaters. As teenagers, if they are hungry they will try pretty much anything I put in front of them.

I guess I am a little lucky in that most of the stuff the boys love, such as Ramen noodles (ugh!), Kraft Dinner (yech), and peanut/popcorn snacks (blech) are things I don't like. I have never had a sweet tooth and we rarely have cookies/cakes/ice cream in the house.  I am the salty/fatty kinda snacker so will keep the chips and such completely out of the house. We rarely have pop/soda around either. Hmmm...  Fingers crossed. 

What will I miss? I will miss my two glasses of wine - one before dinner while cooking and one after dinner relaxing. That is probably my daily sugar fix. One day at a time... I made it through last night so just need to make it through tonight. Perhaps tonight I will substitute a glass of sparkling water with lime and see how that goes.

How is everyone else? It is a sunny, fine, glorious morning here. 

Hi everyone, hi tdg, nice to see a fellow Canadian on the boards! It's a beautiful day where I am too! 

Starting my morning with my coffee with coconut milk and half a litre of water. I try to drink at least half a litre every morning before I take in anything else. I'm one of those people who carries a Nalgene bottle with me everywhere. It has measurements on the side so I can keep track of how much water I'm taking in day to day. 

Last night I made fish for dinner, I breaded it with almond flour and cooked it in some ghee. It was okay, not quite a delicious as my normal vision with gluten free flour but still good! 

I picked up a large veggie tray from Costco and I've been taking a few handfuls of the raw veggies and adding them to the side of my plate with every meal. Cuts down on prep time and it makes it readily available. 

Im working on sorting through every room in my house and decluttering right now, yesterday I felt a but more tired than usual while cleaning but I think it might because I'm not having as many carbs..

hope everyone has an awesome day 2! ( or 1 or 3 or wherever you are!) Keep it up! 

1 hour ago, tdg said:

I decided to maintain my 2-cup-per-day habit for the time being

Me too! 

My plan with the teenage boys is for me to cook evening meals and they will be Whole 30 with some extras for them. For example, tonight we are having homemade tomato sauce with spaghetti squash "noodles". 

I am doing the same thing for my 13,11 and 4 year old. Tonight I'm making zucchini noodles and chicken meatballs. I'll make them regular pasta which will be tempting. I think if I decide before hand that I will not take a bite of pasta it'll be much easier to resist. 

Wow! I'm impressed by everyone's effort! 

Tdg, thanks for the tips on feeding littles (how did you know?;)). 

WholeFitMom, props for adding in workouts. 

On my end, Day 2 went better than Day 1, planning wise; execution could use a little more work. Got my planned meals in, discovered a new spot that has FOUR compliant meal options (yay! If you have an Urban Remedy where you live, go check it out), and have enough leftover chicken from last night's dinner to fuel quite a few salads. 

Day 3 is looking good so far. Used the leftovers from Day 2's Diner breakfast to make another this morning. Have some leftover chicken from dinner to make Harvest Chicken Salad for lunch, and will pick up the ingredients for tonight's Perfect Grilled Steak and Butternut squash with kale and Swiss chard (with plans to use the extra veg for Day 4 brekkie) when I pick up my 5 y/o for swim class. 

What I'm struggling with is that 4pm hunger. Anybody else having difficulties staving off the snack demon? My plan today is to delay lunch for an hour to lessen the time between lunch and dinner to see if that helps any. 

Good luck with Day 2/3, folks!

3F

9 minutes ago, WholeFitMom said:

There's like 500 August 15th Threads.. I'm going nuts!  LOL

WFM- maybe we can consolidate? If you send  a link maybe we can go on there... or just keep ours small?

Here I thought I was the only person in the world starting on Aug 15... :lol:

Archived