Aug 15 - Whole 30 start date - anyone else?

tdg

4 minutes ago, FoodFreedomFighter said:

What I'm struggling with is that 4pm hunger. Anybody else having difficulties staving off the snack demon? My plan today is to delay lunch for an hour to lessen the time between lunch and dinner to see if that helps any.

Yes! I know it's not really advised but I eat a snack. I had nuts as an am snack and banana with Almond butter as a pm snack. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I Think we should just keep this one.. how bout that? 

7 minutes ago, FoodFreedomFighter said:

What I'm struggling with is that 4pm hunger. Anybody else having difficulties staving off the snack demon? My plan today is to delay lunch for an hour to lessen the time between lunch and dinner to see if that helps any. 

Yes! The 3-4pm is like my coffee and cake moment.. I need to find something else to do or think of at that time! 

12 minutes ago, Back2Schoolmom04 said:

Yes! I know it's not really advised but I eat a snack.

I like that "you do you," B2SM04! They do warn against struggling for that "perfect Whole30", because there isn't one. Maybe I need to cut myself some slack. 

13 minutes ago, WholeFitMom said:

Yes! The 3-4pm is like my coffee and cake moment.. I need to find something else to do or think of at that time! 

Ooooh, thinking of something else to DO...good idea, WFM! I could cut down my to-do list or add in a walk with the kids to the library, or something. Thanks!

This thread really helps!

3F

10 hours ago, Back2Schoolmom04 said:

Day 2 for me... I'm gonna try to make the clarified butter today to have on hand as well as mayo. I failed at making mayo yesterday :( any tips?! 

I woke up without a headache so let's hope it stays that way! 

Have a great day everyone and stay strong :)

I remember trying to make mayo by hand last time and it broke and I was *so* mad! But the book says it can be done in a blender so I'm trying that tomorrow. Mayo is a staple in our house. 

Day 2 down. Stuffed peppers for dinner were a hit. Sunshine sauce not so much but I'm a dip addict so it'll do in a pinch. 

On the down side, got told I'm being sent on a big business trip/team building thing for FIVE. DAYS. in two weeks, and I'm already dreading it. 

Day 3 update... So this is supposedly the start of the "kill all things" stage. For me, I think the low mood has more to do with interrupted sleep. I have learned over the years that, for me, it all begins and ends with sleep. In the past few days I am averaging 4-5 hours, which is just not enough to sustain me. This morning was up at 5 with nightmares and a pounding headache... between that and getting up 2-3 times for the bathroom I am feeling exhausted. Perhaps I'll see if I can get a nap into this very busy day ahead.

Jael - I haven't made the mayo recipe from the whole 30 cookbook, but used another that totally worked for me in the blender. Let me know if you'd like me to send it. Having everything at room temperature is really important. I left the egg out overnight to ensure that.

Congrats B2SM for getting the mayo done. I find it is a lifesaver.

I am not struggling with snacks, but my own eating schedule has always been a little different than others. I have generally not eaten breakfast till 10ish, then lunch around 2 and dinner at 6 - hmmm... sensing a 4 hr schedule here... But am trying to eat breakfast earlier as per recommendations. It is strange to eat when not hungry but we'll see how the next few days go with it.

Let's do this people... go!

Happy Day 3 friends!

Or at least I wish it was. Woke up tired and achy today. Feeling a bit better after a breakfast of egg frittata and grapes, but it will be a trying day.

I've got some ground beef to use for dinner tonight, anyone have any favorite recipes? I was going to make chili, but if someone has a meal they love, I'd like to try it!

Good luck with Day 3, everyone!

4 hours ago, gbeers9 said:

Happy Day 3 friends!

Or at least I wish it was. Woke up tired and achy today. Feeling a bit better after a breakfast of egg frittata and grapes, but it will be a trying day.

I've got some ground beef to use for dinner tonight, anyone have any favorite recipes? I was going to make chili, but if someone has a meal they love, I'd like to try it!

Good luck with Day 3, everyone!

The stuffed peppers recipe in the Whole 30 book is *fantastic* - our family loved it.

8 hours ago, tdg said:

Day 3 update... So this is supposedly the start of the "kill all things" stage. For me, I think the low mood has more to do with interrupted sleep.....

Congrats B2SM for getting the mayo done. I find it is a lifesaver.

Sleep is SO important! Hope you get some rest!

As far as the "kill all things" stage it hasn't hit me yet. I'm actually feeling pretty good! I'm a little more hungry but I'm keeping busy making food so that might be helping.

The mayo is awesome! I'm eating is rn in a chicken salad with raspberry vinaigrette :-)

I started on the 15 th as well, today is my first day whole30'ing at work which is a little difficult as I am a nurse and work 13 hour days that can go even longer sometimes. I thought I planned enough food but I'm still finding myself fixated on it. I am trying to find some inner peace and avoid the free cupcakes that the patient's family member brought in. 

Good luck Whiskeytangofox!

Day 3 -

Feel much better then Day 2. I don't have a headache today.

Had my breakfast much earlier and took my son to school then worked out, and I was burping up the breakfast all morning.

Not fun! I had a good spin class though.. had great energy. Still do actually.

Brought my lunch of Tuna salad, celery, apple and almond butter to my parents house and felt great after. Mom kept putting non compliant foods in my face

and I was getting angry with her. But then realized whatever! That's what she's used to, and I just have to keep saying NO THANK U!

For Dinner Gonna Roast some Veggies and make some chicken I think. 

Hope everyone's doing ok!

8 hours ago, Whiskeytangofoxtrot said:

I am trying to find some inner peace and avoid the free cupcakes that the patient's family member brought in. 

Welcome, and stay strong Whiskeytangofoxtrot! You can do this!

9 hours ago, Back2Schoolmom04 said:

As far as the "kill all things" stage it hasn't hit me yet. I'm actually feeling pretty good! I'm a little more hungry but I'm keeping busy making food so that might be helping.

I, too, am still feeling hungry after meals...I've been perusing the Forum searching for answers and it seems like many suggest that those of us still feeling hungry may not be eating enough. So I've taken to finishing my portion and waiting an hour...if I'm still hungry (like "gnawing feeling in the stomach" hungry, not "my mouth could use a little something" hungry), I add some protein (and veg, if REALLY hungry). Case in point, tonight (Day 4 for me) I ate the Butternut Squash with Kale and Swiss Chard (W30, p. 258) and a 5oz. Perfect Grilled Steak (W30, 154)...I was still hungry after an hour (went for a short walk with my family, played legos with my 5y/o), so I ate two chicken wings (from Day 2's Citrus Roasted Chicken (Practical Paleo)). Hunger abated.

Day 4 for me has been good. Still hungry after lunch, but applying the "rule" above now and hoping that it will go away. Haven't hit any of the stages yet (no hangover, no "Kill all the things")...so I'm on tenterhooks waiting for them to occur. I'm fearful for my two boys and my husband.  Does anyone know if there's a common "delay" for these? Another question: any tips on post-workout meals? I don't want to overdo it, but I don't want to skip it in case skipping triggers the headaches/kill all the things beast.

Looking forward to Day 5...I've worked in some "breaks" in my meal plan by buying Premade Paleo's 5 Day package. So tomorrow, that package is providing breakfast, while lunch is Harvest Chicken Salad (W30 p. 232) using leftover Citrus Roasted Chicken (seriously, a whole roasted chicken lasts for a gazillion meals!) so just throwing greens and stuff together, and dinner is my own Bolognese sauce (minus the deglazing with wine, and the Tbsp of sugar) over spaghetti squash (the boys in the house will get pasta). 

Wishing you all pain relief, easy meal planning, and eventual Tiger Blood!

3F

Those of you feeling hunger are very likely not including enough fat - the most common shortfall. For instance, the meal @FoodFreedomFighter mentions above (butternut squash with kale & swiss chard + steak) has no added fat. Fat gives a nice slow steady release of energy & provides satiety - fat is your friend.

PostWO stick to a lean protein, and depending on the intensity of your workout & your fitness goals, an optional starchy veg. Skipping this will hinder recovery, and most likely leave you feeling fatigued & again, hungry.

Oh, and the timeline is a guide - not everyone follows it to the letter, so panic not!

Good luck :)

5 hours ago, FoodFreedomFighter said:

Welcome, and stay strong Whiskeytangofoxtrot! You can do this!

I, too, am still feeling hungry after meals...I've been perusing the Forum searching for answers and it seems like many suggest that those of us still feeling hungry may not be eating enough. So I've taken to finishing my portion and waiting an hour...if I'm still hungry (like "gnawing feeling in the stomach" hungry, not "my mouth could use a little something" hungry), I add some protein (and veg, if REALLY hungry). Case in point, tonight (Day 4 for me) I ate the Butternut Squash with Kale and Swiss Chard (W30, p. 258) and a 5oz. Perfect Grilled Steak (W30, 154)...I was still hungry after an hour (went for a short walk with my family, played legos with my 5y/o), so I ate two chicken wings (from Day 2's Citrus Roasted Chicken (Practical Paleo)). Hunger abated.

Day 4 for me has been good. Still hungry after lunch, but applying the "rule" above now and hoping that it will go away. Haven't hit any of the stages yet (no hangover, no "Kill all the things")...so I'm on tenterhooks waiting for them to occur. I'm fearful for my two boys and my husband.  Does anyone know if there's a common "delay" for these? Another question: any tips on post-workout meals? I don't want to overdo it, but I don't want to skip it in case skipping triggers the headaches/kill all the things beast.

Looking forward to Day 5...I've worked in some "breaks" in my meal plan by buying Premade Paleo's 5 Day package. So tomorrow, that package is providing breakfast, while lunch is Harvest Chicken Salad (W30 p. 232) using leftover Citrus Roasted Chicken (seriously, a whole roasted chicken lasts for a gazillion meals!) so just throwing greens and stuff together, and dinner is my own Bolognese sauce (minus the deglazing with wine, and the Tbsp of sugar) over spaghetti squash (the boys in the house will get pasta). 

Wishing you all pain relief, easy meal planning, and eventual Tiger Blood!

3F

I'm with ya on the post workout meals. My favorite so far is baked sweet potatoes and a protein, but I'm struggling to find a quick lean protein that is easy to bring to the gym with me. Eggs are already my preworkout meal and my breakfast, so I don't want more of that. Maybe mixed nuts? I'd really like some sort of jerky or pre packaged meat, but have yet to find anything in the stores that is compliant. Has anyone else had any luck?

Hello and happy Day 4 everyone... (ha, ha, originally wrote Day 3... already losing track of the days).

Thanks to all of you for the tips and the feedback. It is great to see how you are all doing and how you are solving problems. I am really appreciating having people to talk to while navigating this. I couldn't imagine having to deal with cupcakes in the staff room or going on a work trip. It puts my challenges into perspective. Kudos to all of you!

My day yesterday was a challenge. Too little sleep, not enough food prep done, very busy day. It was what it was and I celebrate that I stayed on program through it all. You know, sometimes the stars just align - and not always in a good way. Ran out of mayo in the morning, my last avo was kinda bad, fridge is looking a little thin and my sons ate the last of the pico de gallo. Got home from a meeting last night at 9:30 and was ravenous so had 4 tbsp of Almond Butter and it helped. But overall, not a great day. It was what it was.

The good news is that today is a brand new day!

Started Day 4 (again!) with a headache and the miseries. Honestly, you'd think I downed 2 bottles of wine the way I feel in the morning! :o But I got enough sleep at last and am learning that if I just get out of bed and get moving things improve (coffee also helps, as does more water) Am going to make a Costco run today to get some supplies (thanks to glamglamkitty for the veggie tray suggestion). BTW, here in Canada Costco's Kirkland organic tomato paste is compliant. Anyway, today going to make more mayo, some ketchup, maybe romanesco and some salad dressings to have on hand as clearly I will be needing a lot more grab and go stuff for the busy days. Am finding the prep hard to negotiate as some things only keep 3 days in fridge so trying to eat it all in that time and deciding how much to make in advance will take some practice. Looks like my evening will be busy.

Managed to get to the farmer's market last night and pick up fresh tomatoes, peppers, and some beef for me. Also found some compliant chicken lunch meat from a local producer. Bonus! Yesterday I learned that it really is about getting all set up for success so that is the goal for today.

FFF was asking about post workout - maybe almond butter on celery? It would probably pack well and keep in your bag until after your workout.

So enjoy your brand new day people. Stay strong, stay positive, have fun! (oh yes, and don't take yourself too seriously!)

Go!

1 hour ago, gbeers9 said:

I'm with ya on the post workout meals. My favorite so far is baked sweet potatoes and a protein, but I'm struggling to find a quick lean protein that is easy to bring to the gym with me. Eggs are already my preworkout meal and my breakfast, so I don't want more of that. Maybe mixed nuts? I'd really like some sort of jerky or pre packaged meat, but have yet to find anything in the stores that is compliant. Has anyone else had any luck?

11 minutes ago, tdg said:

FFF was asking about post workout - maybe almond butter on celery? It would probably pack well and keep in your bag until after your workout.

Guys, nuts & nut butters are a fat - fat prevents muscle protein synthesis as it slows down digestion & the absorption of nutrients. Stick with a lean protein - roast chicken is the favourite, tinned tuna works well (in spring water), egg whites are another portable option (you can eat the yolk preWO), and complaint jerky works well if you can find it... If you're looking for other ideas have a look on the Whole30 for Athletes forum - it's been discussed loads over there!

I am on day 4, and the only real "side effect" I felt was yesterday at Zumba class. I could barely keep up. An anything to do with squats were almost impossible. Mid day my energy level usually disappears but picks up after dinner. I am finding I love sweet potatoes way to much. I need to find something else to mix it up. I am hoping to loose some weight so they are probably not helping that goal.  Good luck everyone.

1 hour ago, jmcbn said:

Guys, nuts & nut butters are a fat - fat prevents muscle protein synthesis as it slows down digestion & the absorption of nutrients.

Thanks for the information... I did not know it was a fat, not a protein... learn something new every day. So you're telling me I ate 4tbsp of fat before bed last night? Well, at least I didn't wake up hungry  :P

Day 4 is here! I had a busy morning and barely scarfed down my kitchen sink eggs :( I woke up feeling really hungry! 

I'm starting to feel burnt out on prepping and cooking! I need to figure something out because august 29 I start the fall semester at college, full time. I also have 3 kiddos that don't like fancy dinners... Unless it's smothered in cheese and sauce!

Archived