Aug 15 - Whole 30 start date - anyone else?

tdg

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, tdg said:

Have been so, so, so sick... Picked up a nasty retrovirus somewhere and it has laid me flat for the past 3 days.

Went off program because I was unable to keep anything down. Not even water.

So resorted to the old standby of unsalted crackers and ginger ale. It worked. But of course totally off the program. It is what it is.

So I am bowing out of W30 while I give my body some time to recover. May try again in September, but right now is not the time to think of it.

Heading back to bed....

I'm so, SO sorry! Get better soon xo

Day 10!! Hanging in still.. went to the Aquarium with the kids.. and I brought my own food. I was still full from breakfast so I didn't eat my lunch. 

I just had carrots and some grapes... then while leaving I got a black coffee and had a RX Bar in the car with coffee for the drive home. 

Made it no problem! Feel great. So weird.. I'm kind of getting burnt out on all the Beef i'm cooking I think I need to change it up,, some shrimp or fish.

TDG sorry about being sick.. that sucks. 

Hope everyone else is still trucking along! 1/3 done!

So all had been going well although not noticing any major changes besides the crazy food dreams (like eating one pink starburst or eating one wing). 

Then I had a very emotional/stressful day at work and my normal coping mechanism is ice cream. So I had to do everything to not go into the fridge at work and have some. I didn't do it but I was starving on my way home. So much so that I stopped at a Jamba Juice to buy a banana. 

Made it home and had dinner. Then got a special deliever you guavas and couldn't resist eating 4 of them. All and all I think it could have been worse but not I'm bloated for all the fruit (I think). Oh well, here's to being 1/3 done! 

@TDG I hope you feel better!

Well, I can say this has been a real eye opener. I never expected to feel this good.  I still haven't experienced any of the bad things outlined in the timeline. My biggest issue is chatting on the phone and rummaging in the "snack basket". I didn't clean everything out of the house. I decided if this is really what I wanted to do, I would do it without throwing everything out. We don't have ice cream in the house, that would have been tempting fate. They have to go out for ice cream if they want it. I have so much energy, I had no idea how blah I felt, until I started this program. I have given up all coffee, and I might drink a tea every now and them. (Maybe 3 of the 10 days). If I am looking for flavor I will use a slice of lemon or lime, and I added raspberries and lemon to my water once, that could become very addictive. I need to plan more, because the couple of days that I didn't have meals planned were tough days for sure. I love the fact that I am caffeine free and have more energy than I did all caffeined out!  Hope everyone is having as successful and enlightened whole30 experience as I am! 

On 8/24/2016 at 9:43 AM, tdg said:

Have been so, so, so sick... Picked up a nasty retrovirus somewhere and it has laid me flat for the past 3 days.

So resorted to the old standby of unsalted crackers and ginger ale. It worked. But of course totally off the program. It is what it is.

So I am bowing out of W30 while I give my body some time to recover. May try again in September, but right now is not the time to think of it.

Heading back to bed....

So Sorry to hear you are sick still tdg.   I wouldn't throw your whole whole30 out the door.  Mend with what you can and then continue, even if it is "Day 1" per the plan, it is still today (or the next few days) of the rest of your life.  Continue on this path to long term health, only good can come of it.   Also, we will still be here in September, so should stay involved and know you are supported.  If not for you this group wouldn't be here.   Hope you feel better soon! 

Day 11! Feeling good as well.. way more dreams then i'm used to.. 

Tonya I'm kinda feeling the same way.. I haven't had too many problems.. I feel great. I do get hungry from time to time. I'm getting a little bored.. and i can see how Day 10 people want to quit. But I feel great and I'm sticking to it until the end.

I was actually excited because I had a girls night planned on Sept 14th which is Day 31 and it just got re-scheduled to the end of September. I want to keep going and have a slow re-introduction. I feel thinner.. I'm not bloated, you can tell in my face in my eyes, my neck and chest area. Just all around feel light on my feet. 

I've had my period for a longer time then usual.. (I have an IUD), so usually have no period or very small period.  

I do want to get on the scale, but every morning I fight the urge.. I'm off to shop for more Ghee and La Croix, 2 staples for me. 

Good luck everyone!

I haven't checked in for a few days.  Monday and Tuesday were okay.  I left the meal planning to my husband and it wasn't that great.  Lots of scrambling to find something good to eat, thank goodness we still had lots of leftovers in the refrigerator or I don't know what would have happened. Yesterday I lined up my next few days and feel back on track.   I was feeling a little blah yesterday, but trying to stay positive so I went for a walk to the river to recollect.  While there a friend called me and we were talking about our upcoming camping trip and how I need to pre-plan food for the trip.  She then proceeded to tell me how she noticed my stomach was getting smaller - this little comment somehow completely revitalized me.  I haven't really seen many changes yet, except that I am starting to have more energy and overall be in better moods, but to have someone else notice changes, was awesome.   I know it isn't about the physical only, but again, having someone else notice, was really nice.   After that we committed to running together tomorrow morning.  I have only done 2 small runs in the last 4 months, so a little intimidated to go out with someone else, but proud to be held accountable.  Another success - my mom called this morning and told me she is back on weight watchers (which always works for her) and she was so excited to be motivated to eat healthy again.  I take pride in knowing that my decisions are affecting those around me.   YEAH!  Stay strong everyone and keep going.  

Hi everyone!   I started on Aug. 18th and today marks my 1st week.  So far so good except am having a little trouble sleeping.  One day is good then the next not s good.  Limiting coffee to 2 cups in AM only and no iced tea either.  Can't say I miss really anything yet.  Skin seems clearer. 

On 8/24/2016 at 9:43 AM, tdg said:

Heading back to bed....

I truly hope you heal up soon, tdg. If you jump back on in September, please come back to this thread...we'll still be here.  And know that you'll have even greater support with the Whole30 site going on a September Whole30 starting September 5th.

Be well!

Props for making it a over a week, everyone!! I'm posting a few days late.

On 8/21/2016 at 3:37 PM, Jael said:

We've made it an entire week, y'all!! Thought I'd summarize my thoughts on the first week - what are yours?

Thanks for sharing this, Jael! I'll jump on board.

Foods I Ate and Liked: I enjoyed every meal out of the Whole30 book, truly! What's going to make it into the regular rotation:

• Pork chops with spiced apple sauce 
  • Perfect Grilled Steak and Greek Salad
  • Melissa's Chicken Hash (GREAT non-egg breakfast; and it'll be a good all-around meal, too)
  • Butternut Squash with Kale and Swiss Chard (there's almonds in there for a fat)

Lessons I Learned

• If I don't get enough sleep, my body craves sugar. I've caved twice and eaten some dried cranberries (sweetened with apple juice) to stave off exhaustion until it was safe/there was time for me to catch up on sleep. 
  • I need way more protein and fat to stay full (no snacking between meals) than I originally thought
  • Meal planning and prepping is the key to my successfully staying on track; it also helps me keep my meals interesting and appetizing

Results I've observed

• Perkier and more able to get going in the morning
  • Feeling slimmer, especially in the face and around my collarbone; my wrists seem slimmer too
  • Past Day 9, I have more patience

Plans I'm making

• Lining up weekly rewards (Week 1's was a mani-pedi Moms' Night Out with other mommas...and I stayed strong when they offered us wine by asking for sparkling water and lime); Week 2 is getting my hair done, etc. Trying to replace my food reward system with other rewards
  • Began with and am keeping up a physical journal/meal planner...meal planning every 2-3 days and prepping 24-36 hours in advance is really working
  • Contemplating extending my Whole 30 into a Whole50+ and joining the sitewide September Whole30...talking it over with the hubs, since many of my compliant meals don't fly with our 5 y/o son (and sometimes don't fly with my husband either), which makes him (husband) responsible for meals

Hope all goes well as we end our second week!

1 hour ago, FoodFreedomFighter said:

We've made it an entire week, y'all!! Thought I'd summarize my thoughts on the first week - what are yours?

Day 11 for me. Thoughts...

• Packing a healthy breakfast is a good habit :) Means less coffee to get through the morning at work.
  • Good to take a break from the after-work drink. I think I've needed a light afternoon snack but have been drinking wine after work instead for the energy boost (and as a kind of transition from work stress to relaxing at home), in the same way as with coffee in the morning. I want coffee and wine to be pleasures, not crutches!!!
  • Many poor food choices are due to not taking the time or being mindful about food consumation. So many unhealthy food choices can be easily avoided with planning or just better available food choices
  • Don't care for so much meat. Even with the fish/egg options, it's still a lot.of.meat. Sticking to it, but probably lots more legumes after the 30 days and maybe some cheese and yogurt, too
  • Feeling empowered to take on a challenge and navigating family, restaurants, friends, work, travel etc. in a fairly natural way
  • More energy. A lot more. To be confirmed if it's just a few good days or more lasting. Last 2 nights with under 5 hours sleep and less tired than after my usual full night before. Honestly, it is surprising... hoping it's not a fluke!

Good luck to all over the next days. Seems the hardest part is now behind us :) 

I can't believe it's day 11 ! I hope you feel better soon @tdg You can do it! Hop back on as soon as you're able, you owe it to yourself to complete this journey! It's been a busy few days around here but I've managed to stay on track. I made a slow cooker meal two days ago and I've been enjoying the leftovers for the past couple of days. A beef roast, some new white potatoes, frozen organic mixed veggies with lots of garlic and onion and a cup of water. Cooked it on low for 8 hours! So good! This evening we made a pot of steamed mussels to have with steak and veggies. I melted ghee to dip them instead of the salty butter I'd normally have. They were delicious and a nice change of pace. Good luck to everyone on their day 12 tomorrow! 

Not Hungry! Does anyone find themselves not hungry at lunch time? I can't seem to want to eat. It's been like that for 3 days now. I have to force myself. 

Very strange. 

anyways DAY 12 trucking along fine.. maybe just a little bored, have to find some newer, lighter recipes. 

2 hours ago, WholeFitMom said:

Not Hungry! Does anyone find themselves not hungry at lunch time? I can't seem to want to eat. It's been like that for 3 days now. I have to force myself. 

Very strange. 

anyways DAY 12 trucking along fine.. maybe just a little bored, have to find some newer, lighter recipes. 

I'm struggling a bit with this too. Not so much lack of hunger, but lack of appetite. Nothing sounds good to me. Not even non compliant food. 

I'm having a hard time finding foods I'm excited to eat. I'm make the shrimp and zoodles recipe from the book this week, it's the only thing that interests me. 

I'm with ya on the light meals, I think it will be easier to stomach.

@WholeFitMom and @gbeers9 - some loss of appetite is fairly common at some stage during the 30 days. Just keep doing what you're doing - plate up those template meals, eat as much from it as you can (ensuring you get a little of each food group) and then wrap up the remainder to eat as soon as you feel able (ie. NOT the next meal). As you've both said many people find trying new recipes helps, or trying foods with strong flavours, although personally I tend to opt for th bland like if I were ill - mashed root veg, chicken soup, scrambled eggs that kind of thing. Just keep trying to get the food on board because NOT eating only perpetuates the problem unfortunately.....

You're almost halfway there & past the hardest part - hang tough!

10 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Just keep trying to get the food on board because NOT eating only perpetuates the problem unfortunately....

Thanks jmcbn 

I'm forcing myself in some situations.. to not then be too hungry at the  next meal. It's been working. 

DAY 13!! Almost to the half.. phew!

Day 14 done. Feeling next week or so may be difficult... novelty is wearing off but not yet to the home stretch. I guess this is my rough patch... low energy weekend and loss of appetite.

Though except for the occasional glass of wine, not really missing anything, although a bowl of oatmeal sounds nice (which is funny, since I'm not really an oatmeal fan) and so do kidney beans.

Good luck to all for the coming week

Anastasia and WFM - so with you feeling like the next two weeks seem too long. This is close to the point where I fell off the wagon the first time. This time around, I'm on the cusp of four days of business travel, followed by my husband traveling for another week while I single parent. Things will circumstantially get tougher before they get easier. 

BUT

At the two week mark, I'm seeing the results I was hoping for - my waist is reappearing, more energy means a return to weight training which is bringing back the strength and definition in my arms and legs that I'd seriously lost, I wore a skirt this morning that I could barely zip three weeks ago. The self-talk I'm doing involves simple math - if I look and feel this much better after two weeks, how much better will I feel after four?

I had a couple of intensely hard moments this week, one as my husband and I were driving to dinner at our favorite restaurant and we had to wait longer than usual at the bar, next to a row of wine bottles with labels we knew well and like. Bread baskets came to our table not once, but twice. My husband was not full of joy and thankfulness to me for how this plan has gotten his blood sugar numbers the lowest they've been in a year and a half, and that the injectable insulin his doctor threatened him with is sitting unopened and unneeded in the back corner of our fridge. *But* we talked our way through it (and the chef and waitstaff were *stellar* about serving us everything from an entirely sugar-free mocktail to a gorgeous compliant meal), and looking back I'm so thankful we pushed through. It seems like once you get past a through really intense moments of challenge, the next moments are easier to manage.

We're not out of the woods yet! (Every time I mention the Whole30 or how well I'm doing, a moment of temptation is around the corner). But to borrow the math analogy again, if we feel this happy for having come *this* far, how many of orders of magnitude of happy will we feel when we make it the full month??

@Jael, way to stick with it this time around! Sounds like it's paying off. 

At this point, I can't subsribe to your thoughts of "if I feel this good now, just think how good I'll feel in two more weeks!" because, like @Anastasia and @WholeFitMomI'm not yet feeling the benefits.

This weekend I've been pretty exhausted, and I'm currently fighting my first headache since the first few days of the program. The idea of eating this way for two more weeks is a bit daunting, as I'm still having a hard time finding food that interests me.

Here's to hoping week 3 is the turning point!

Way to stick with it everyone! I had a frustrating moment today at Starbucks this afternoon. I just wanted a cappuccino.  No sugar. Just a soy cappuccino. Sigh. I opted for a plain coffee instead. Something so simple can be such a pain when trying to stay in plan. And it's funny how little things can make or break your day. 

Things are going well though. I saw a coworker for the first time in two months and she told me I looked great and had lost weight. I was surprised. I don't feel much difference besides my jeans feeling a little bit more comfortable. Tonight I'm cooking some scallops in ghee with mushrooms and salt and pepper. They smell amazing. I'm bbqing a steak and having some veggies with it and sorta making a 'surf and turf' I guess. Something different. I also picked up some chicken thighs today so I could make a curry chicken dish this week. Last night I made tomato sauce with chicken in it to have with spirelized zucchini. It Was awesome! 

I also picked up another roast, I see a slow cooker meal in my future. And some food prep for work this week. Hope everyone has a good week! 

10 hours ago, gbeers9 said:

@Jael, way to stick with it this time around! Sounds like it's paying off. 

At this point, I can't subsribe to your thoughts of "if I feel this good now, just think how good I'll feel in two more weeks!" because, like @Anastasia and @WholeFitMomI'm not yet feeling the benefits.

This weekend I've been pretty exhausted, and I'm currently fighting my first headache since the first few days of the program. The idea of eating this way for two more weeks is a bit daunting, as I'm still having a hard time finding food that interests me.

Here's to hoping week 3 is the turning point!

Hey there - it's unusual for you to be having headaches at this stage - are you drinking enough water, and salting your food? If you'd like to check that you're on the right track feel free to post a few days worth of your food/liquid intake and we can take a look and possibly suggest some tweaks... Sometimes it's more about the composition of the meals than the actual food.

Archived