I work 12 hour night shift!

Tara Phillips

I started the Whole30 last Fri, which was Oct 5, 2012. I have been doing good and following like I should.....and have had the normal highs and lows that come with the 1st week. But my big question is how do people do this on night shift??? I have been making it work but would like to hear how others are doing it. I only work 3-4 days a week so on the days I have to go into work i get up and eat breakfast. do stuff around my house until noonish then try to take a nap by 2 and wake up around 4-5 to get ready for work. Then at work i try to have my one to two meals while working my 12 hour shift. After I get home I have to sleep. I just don't have a normal routine yet and I was hoping there is others out there that have figured this out so i can fix my eating before the end of my 30 days :) thanks for your help.

I also do 12hr shifts ( nights and days ).

I treat nightshift as another day , have my meals as if I would during the daytime.

On my 1st nightshift , I'll eat breakfast and lunch , dinner will be pushed back a couple of hours until 8pm because of work , so I'll fit a snack in between lunch and dinner. The I'll eat lunch around 1-2am and have breakfast when I get home at 6:30am

For me it balances out

Shift work is so hard! I'm a flight attendant so my hours can get pretty irregular too... I do mostly international flying so I try to eat and sleep on my regular at home schedule but it still messes me up... hang in there, you'll get used to it...you might want to check out nomnompaleo.com for ideas...Michele works night shifts as well...

Ok so last night I worked and had a very busy day. I ate breakfast last before work around noon. Then waited till I got around 9 pm at work to eat. But then my night got crazy busy and I Was there 3 hours after my 12 hour shift wa done an the last I ate was 12 hours before that. Now I have to sleep so I can work again tonight and I'm crazy hungry. My question is..... Do I eat right before going to bed an if so what!?

Hope this all made sense. Thanks for your help. Hope someone has a solution other than finding a new job lol.

Hi! I work 12 hour night shift and my method works really well for me. I wake up a 4 pm, when I've worked the previous night and eat several eggs for breakfast. Then I bring two meals and snacks to work and do most of my eating there. I eat my first meal around 8 and the next around 12, then I might have a snack around 3. With all the fats I stay full till I wake up again at 4! And as for your question should you eat before bed I say YES! If you're hungry, eat! Eating a snack before bed will help you sleep, and since we eat such healthy food I doubt you'll gain weight. I like a banana with almond butter, since it is filling and will promote melatonin release. Anyway, good luck! :)

Archived