Christina's whole30 starting 10/10/12

Christina Savage

Hi everyone - I love the idea of having somewhere to share each portion of this month and reading others whole30 challange!

Briefly - Im 32, live in Maryland, a runner, mom of a 6 year old and 10 month old, married to a police officer and work full time as a nurse practitioner in a community medical/surgical intensive care unit. Needless to say Im BUSY. I started paleo after reading "It starts with food" about 2 months ago and for 3 weeks I felt freaking awesome (after that first horrible week), then we went away and I feel off plan and its just so so so easy to go back to eating that older way. Then I kept trying to restart and would do great until the evening then I would binge on any and everything wheat. I just got back from a medical conference in Canada and ate myself through every ethnic food offering they had. I came home feeling like crap.

Two days ago I decided I was going to reestablish healthy habits by doing the whole30. I started yesterday and did GREAT until the evening and then I had 2 diet sodas and said screw it and had some honey and some artificial sweetener. Today I had a screw it attitude and brought Halloween candy into the house... what the hell was I thinking!?!

So I decided to tell EVERYONE Im starting RIGHT NOW. But my first official day will be tomorrow for writing purposes.

I KNOW how much better I will feel, I know that once you get passed that initial week or two that the cravings go away and that my energy will go through the roof...then why is it so freaking hard?!?

I have always found it harder to get back on the wagon after the first success...I don't know what that is all about??? Especially when you feel so good and you get to eat such yummy food. It's a bit like running for me...mental. If I can get past the first 10 minutes of a run (or first week of W30) I'm always so happy I just kept going!!! You got this!

Its officially day one - Im up way to early because my kids have a freaky internal alarm clock for too damn early.

Was hoping to get up and workout before G goes to school but I stayed up too late and that didnt happen. I will get in some sort of movement today.

Drinking my version of bulletproof coffee right now - no butter, just coconut milk and coconut oil.

I will take control today... me 1 food 0

I am starving. Every piece of junk in my house is calling my name.

Im not giving in - but it still sucks. And no clue why Im hungry but my stomach is growling and it wants food.

So far today

B - coffee with coconut oil and milk, 4 hard boiled eggs

L - big bowl of turkey veggie curry soup, some beef jerkey, apple

S- raw almonds (too many of them), mixed with a little freeze dried berries.

The day got way better - I treated myself to a shellac manicure and when my 1st grader got home from school we played outside which helped a ton. I have drank way way too much coffee today though!

The rest of the food for today -

Dinner - cauliflower rice with onion/mushroom/garlic and curry chicken. So yummy and crazy easy in the crock pot.

Success today - I bought a Halloween cookie decorating kit for my son and let him decorate his gory gross cookies and ate NOTHING. Also have not had a single m&m or candy corn! woohoo!

Tomorrow Im back to work after 2 weeks off. Im planning to get up in the morning and go to spin class before work. That means a crap load of planning and packing since I will shower at the gym and go straight to work.

My aimed food diary for tomorrow -

B- bulletproof coffee, 3-4 hard boiled eggs

S- almonds

L - cauliflower rice with curry chicken

D- turkey veggie soup, beef jerkey, grapefruit

So I decided to sign up for the email whole30 help thing - I need all the help I can get. You cant pick to start on day 1 or 2 ... has to be day 0 so today technically was day 0 as far as the emails are concerned. So of course you know the FIRST thing I thought of right??? I almost went on a BAD candy binge and said to myself "well I guess Im starting tomorrow" but NOPE so what... then Im doing 31 or 32 days instead of 30... its all good. The first week is the hardest and Im already all in... no going back now!

I have been reading others whole30 logs... so incredibly helpful!

I think I need to get used to eating NON breakfast food for breakfast - that is hard for me mentally.

Some other goals for the next few weeks -

1. Bed by 10... every single night... starting tonight! This will be very very hard for me.

2. WATER WATER WATER... I drink ALOT of coffee... making myself drink 8-10 oz of water between every cup of coffee for right now with the goal to make the coffee just a morning thing. Damn bad habits from graduate school!

3. Destress - starting tomorrow no laptop while the kids are awake, focus on family time. Minimally get to yoga once a week - prefer twice a week.

4. Crossfit workouts minimally 4 days a week, cardio 2-3 times a week.

Day three completed! Today was tough though! It was a crazy busy day in the ICU. I didnt get to eat until 2pm and by then I was starving and stressed to the max after the 3 codes that morning. I wanted a grilled cheese and onion rings so freaking bad. But I stuck to my guns. Yes I ate way too many raw almonds but it is what it is.

My skin is HORRIBLE the last 24 hours or so - tons of new breakouts and Im bloated again in the afternoon - wth??? And its only 915pm and Im exhausted. Im heading to bed.

Tomorrow I have to be up crazy early to mark the course for my 5k virgins mock 5k - next week they run their first 5k ... totally proud of them!

Food...

B - 3 eggs, peppers, sausage bake with guac and salsa, coffee with coconut oil and coconut milk.

L - curry chicken, cauliflower rice, a grapfruit.

D - 2 hard boiled eggs, 1 lara bar

S - too many almonds, some approved beef jerky.

I have had a great day today! And tons of victories over food!

Victory #1 Met the group Im training for a 5k for a mock run this morning. Wasnt planning to run, just time them. Ended up being talked into running it and had to run my fastest time ever so I would be done before everyone else to still get their times logged! The afterwards we sat with fruit, munchkins, muffins, juices ect and talked... I had a small bowl of fruit and water. Yaaa me!

Victory #2 Took the kids pumpkin picking today and hubby wanted to go to our absolute favorite place afterwards for lunch/dessert. There is NOTHING there I could eat and I know I would be tempted by their homemade breads, cheeses, and icecream so I said nope sorry. Maybe in a month or two.

Victory #3 My 6 year old is making brownies in his easy bake oven for dessert to go with movie night. Yes they taste like crap - but normally I would eat a ton of it. I already warned him I wouldnt even be tasting it. And when its movie time I will make me a cup of my favorite hot tea and snuggle up with the family.

Yes skin still looks like crap. Not nearly as tired as I was when I tried last time... maybe tomorrow? No headache this time around either.

Food

B 3 hard boiled eggs, coffee with coconut oil and coconut milk, fruit

L left over curry chicken topped with roasted brocoli

S almonds

D the most amazing paleo recipe for smothered pork chops - omg so good, roasted veggies

The pork recipe....

http://paleocomfortfoods.com/in-the-kitchen/another-big-week-of-giveaways-our-prize-winners-and-smothered-pork-chops/

I had left overs for lunch today - didnt look as pretty day two but still tasted amazing! SO SO SO good... Im making it again next week when family is visiting.

Day 5 is in the books successfully. Im not starving in between meals anymore. Today I didnt pack dinner and didnt get home until almost 9pm and while I was hungry I didnt feel like I wanted to eat my arm or go through drive through.

No new breakouts today :)

Food -

B 3 egg omelet with peppers, guacamole and salsa, coffee with coconut milk and coconut oil

L left over pork chops and roasted veggies, baked apple slices with cinnamon.

D 3 hard boiled eggs, beef jerkey

S almonds - again too many

And yes 6 eggs in one day is probually too much. I planned to come home and make dinner but I got out late and was starving and eggs are easy and filling.

Today has been a rough day - I have remained 100% on point but it has been ridiculously hard today. The cravings have been insane. I was at Khols today and they had some higher quality chocolate and omg I wanted it more than I have ever wanted anything. I was almost in tears. I wanted to just cry "its not fair I want chocolate".

I think I need to revamp my actual meals. Its so hard not to think of calories and not have smaller more frequent meals - what I have always been tought that is right. I need to vamp up the protein.

I would be thankful for any suggestions...

Food today

B - coffee with coconut milk/oil, 2 eggs/peppers/guac/salsa

L-banana and 2 egg pancake, almonds, freeze dried berries, beef jerkey

D - chili

S - beef jerkey

S- cup of berries baked in oven

So my thoughts are not big enough meals and too much fruit...

Food today

B - coffee with coconut milk/oil, 2 eggs/peppers/guac/salsa

L-banana and 2 egg pancake, almonds, freeze dried berries, beef jerkey

D - chili

S - beef jerkey

S- cup of berries baked in oven

So my thoughts are not big enough meals and too much fruit...

Double the kudos for staying on track when it was hard going.

Breakfast looks really good, follows the template of protein+veg+fat perfectly , you just need to carry through that ideal to your other meals, if you do need a snack make it a mini meal too.

hth.

Day 7 is proving to be more of a struggle than Day 6.

Last night baby girl had her first stuffy nose and NO ONE got to sleep. She would only sleep if I was holding her so I cat napped in the rocker. I might have gotten 2 hours total of sleep and at 530 brought her to bed with me for maybe another hour. I woke up with a binky indentation on my chest. Fun. Today hasnt been much better either. Its 1pm and she has yet to nap. She freaks out, cries, more snot, more stuffed up and it goes round and round. I am one TIRED momma!

Not to mention OF COURSE its that time of the month. WTH!?!?! And it appears I am very emotional. I was at the grocery store this morning to get the stuff to make my first bone broth (in crock pot now) and homemade mayo (waiting for room temp eggs) and was in line to check out - there was a magazine of fall pies and I just wanted to sit on the ground and cry and look at the pics and the entire time felt so sorry for myself that I will never be able to just eat whatever I want. I want PIE. I want pumpkin bread. I want Halloween candy. I want a caramel apple with nuts. I want a rich hot chocolate with marshmellows.

I think I am in mourning!

Ok day 7 went well.... I didnt have junk and guess what? I didnt die :)

Last nights sleep sucked - I decided to stay up late and then baby girl didnt feel well and I was up ALL night with her. Im not seeing tonight being much different.

I also havent worked out in over a week :( I told myself I was letting myself get used to the new eating but really I am being lazy ... need to get back on the program.

Food-

B - 2 eggs and chili, coffee with my coconut mixture

L - roasted chicken, brocoli, asparagus, avacado

D - spicy sausage, tomatoe sauce and julienned zuchini

S - baked apple with cinnamon, almond flour and coconut butter

beef jerkey

DAY 8

Today is the beginning of week 2 - wow that went fast! It may be in my head but I think the energy component is starting to kick in :) I had another rough night with the baby yet got up and out the door early this morning, ran errands and cleaned most of my house. I have a busy rest of the day though - baby girl and I both have appt's at the chiropractor at 3, get my son off the bus, homework, dinner, painting pumpkins tonight. Need to get the rest of the prep for Gavins party this Saturday and the rest of the house ready for some house guest we have coming tomorrow. All has to be done tonight since I work tomorrow and friday until 8pm.

I get the whole30 emails for each day - omg its like they are talking JUST TO ME ... its freaky! It shows we are all going through the same things.

I have decided to do a few things

1. I want to limit fruit to once a day. I think Im using it to give in to cravings - and yes thats better than eating a candy bar but it still is sending my body the wrong message and I want to incorporate it into a meal and not by itself.

2. On the same token - I want to limit my nuts to one serving a day... I think it is keeping me wanting to snack.

I will post todays food tonight.

last night I was CRANKY with a capital everything. My wonderful husbnd invited a roof salesman into our house who wouldnt leave or take no for an answer, a sick baby that wouldnt go to sleep and house guest coming TODAY and I still had tons of prep to do but this idiot was at my house until almost 9pm.

In that crankiness I didnt reach for junk but I did eat when I wasnt hungry. Its amazing our cope mechanisms.

Today is a work day. Food packed, water ready... it will be a good day :)

I am here - promise and 100% still on plan! Today is day 10!!!! I may not be able to post until day 12 or 13 but I promise you I am in this for the long haul.

I have a few big challenges coming up.

First we have family visiting from Texas - granted they are pretty healthy too and I was up front on my eating right now so they are not expecting big meals, desserts ect... but I like to host and normally my hosting revolves around yummy food! uhhh.

Second, Gavin has a party for his class that we are hosting Saturday. The menu? Horrible kid food (once I successfully make the paleo switch over the family is coming with me next) but for right now they arent. So its pizza, chips, cookies, cupcakes. A whole bunch of CRAP. Im taking 2 hard boiled eggs and some berries to tide me over while we are there then will eat once we are home.

Sunday is crazy busy. My wonderful group of women Im training will be running their first 5k that morning. Followed by brunch - while not my farm fresh eggs ... it will be easy to stay whole 30 compliant. Then we are taking G to a kids play and going to dinner afterwards. I have NOT been to a restaurant in over 10 days. I am nervous about that. I plan to go online saturday and prepick the restaurant and my food now. No leaving it up to chance.

I wanted to weigh myself this morning - proud of me that I didnt. Why is the scale so demanding of my attention?

Anyways this had to be quick - need to get out the door and to work. After my 12 hours I have 5 days off woohoo!

RIght now I am letting everyone know that next week starting with the run on Saturday - I need to get my exercise grove back on. I love going to the gym... so why did I stop???

Real quick... I am a ROCK star!

Last night I made 3 dozen chocolate chip cookies. NOT A SINGLE BITE, lick or taste. Today was G's party - I didnt eat pizza, chips, candy, cupcakes, cookies, NADA! I ate the almonds I brought and called it a day.

I almost gave in because I wanted something and felt like I deserved something... then my bf said something that struck through the desire for junk. I said "I almost want to eat something then just restart the 30 days tomorrow". Her response, "If you do that you will keep doing it ALL your life"

Ummm - yes, your right. I made a commitment to myself. And Im worth it.

OMG I am so freaking tired! Had a great weekend but exhausting. Todays 5k was AWESOME! My team did so well... they amazed me... I was like a proud mama! My time wasnt my fastest (30:13) but I was happy considering how slow the start was to really get running and the hills.

I posted pics here if anyone wants to see...

http://last-weight-loss-journey.blogspot.com/2012/10/5k-virgins.html

I ate out twice today and think I did pretty damn good - breakfast was steak and eggs, no toast, no potatoes and black coffee. Dinner was grilled salmon, brocoli and zucchini requested without butter. WOOHOO.

I want to work on pulling out my "snacks" the next few days - the beef jerkey and the almonds. Im eating when Im not hungry just to eat. I need to make the meals a bit bigger and just stick to eating when hungry but a meal not a snack.

Also need to get back on the workout trek...

Archived