Work event tomorrow-worried

AmyRosina

So today is day 16 for me and no non-compliant foods have entered my system for 16 days. I amazed because I am not a "stick with it" person and usually go with either the "everything in moderation" or "indulge away" approach towards food, neither of which works with this program. Tomorrow will be my first real challenge where i will be with people enjoying delicious food and very good wines while I will not be able to partake. And I am worried. I first contemplated not going at all, and honestly it would have been easy to skip, I am not required to go. But it will be fun, and now I have committed and will feel like a jerk for cancelling.  I am actually not worried about the food, it is like a 4 hour event and there will be something i could nibble on and I will eat major protein power meal before. I am worried about the wine. And this makes me feel silly because come on, how weak am I? I usually don't drink all that much, a couple glasses of wine on a weekend, but not every weekend. So 16 days with no booze has been no big deal. But at these events, I always have a drink. Its a social thing for me and even just 1/2 glass relaxes me to where I enjoy myself 150% more than without it. Wow, that sounds pathetic.  The one thing I did do is I told one of the people putting on the event that I am doing this program so please don't offer me a glass of wine. But I have found that some people WANT YOU TO FAIL. Maybe its because your "clean eating" makes them feel bad about their own choices, or maybe just because they want you to relax, have a good time, join in the fun. And I am susceptible to "grown up peer pressure".

So basically I am posting this for two reasons: 1) I think maybe putting it in writing will make me more accountable, and more importantly 2) to get advice from others who may have gone through this during their whole 30.

NOTE: Today is a coworkers birthday and they just sent an email about coming to the kitchen for a slice of white chocolate raspberry cake. That, while I'm sure is delicious, will not be my downfall. I hope I can stay as strong tomorrow.

What I'd do is grab a compliant drink as soon as I showed up, even if it's just plain water. If there's a bar with mixers, maybe a club soda with lime? If you have something in hand already, people are less likely to try to offer you something. Also, if you treat it like no big deal, no big sacrifice, they'll forget about it.

Good luck!

Most people don't care what you eat or drink--or don't eat or drink. They are too busy worrying about themselves!

They may offer you wine to be polite. You can just as politely say "no thanks". No one will care  

There are many people who don't drink alcohol and water is always available. As long as you have a class of water in your hand no one else will know or care what you're drinking. 

As as for being worried about not enjoying yourself without alcohol, that's a subject for a long discussion and there are many threads on this! For now, view this as a chance to test out your assumption. Be an investigator! What will happen if you don't drink alcohol?

I'm guessing you have good reasons for doing a Whole30. Remind yourself of those reasons and look at the time and energy you've invested. Do you really want to derail your Whole30 and deprive yourself of all of its benefits just for one social occasion? You will have many many many opportunities to drink wine in the future, if you choose to do so. 

Archived