Any competitive swimmers out there?

gabby15

In roughly the last week or so of my Whole30, I will start swimming again for my college team and I'm extremely concerned about being properly fueled (especially for the two-a-day practices).

Morning practices start at 5:15 am and go until 7-something depending on the day.

Afternoon practices are around 4:30 pm until 6:30.

I already am aware that I need my pre-workout meal for at least the morning practices (I was thinking a hard-boiled egg or a spoon of almond butter--if I can stomach either) and a post-workout protein/carb which I haven't figured out yet (something that can sit in a steamy pool locker room for at least 2 hours or more and be edible afterwards).

My main concern is being able to make it through the grueling practices without any major side effects. Should carb-loading on starchy vegetables be my main concern during my main meals? I'm just a little overwhelmed with the whole idea of trying to eat 6-7 meals in the span of one day (besides all the classes and other activities I have during the day) and also not completely dying or throwing up during practices.

I also noticed there wasn't a topic (to my knowledge) for purely competitive swimmers so I figured this could be helpful to others in the same situation or something similar.

I've been in that situation before, it isn't easy! I also generally do not feel like eating first thing in the morning and preferred to work out on an empty stomach, but fueling the right way has made a major difference. 

I like to make a veggie mash of some sort (carrot, sweet potato, cauliflower, butternut squash, you name it) mixed with coconut milk and ghee in large batches. I do tend to prefer the sweet potato for long practices or competitions but I like to throw in a little extra veggie as well to make sure that the green vegetables are in there somewhere. I'll prep a Tupperware container the night before so I can sleep in as much as possible and just grab and go. I've found that the mash sits with me better for long morning swimming than solid vegetables.

Your idea for a hard boiled egg is awesome and gives you all the right protein! If you ever feel tired of that though, basic shredded chicken or pork has been my go-to. 

As for after practice, would you consider getting a small insulated lunch box or cooler to keep in your locker? This one (https://www.amazon.com/PackIt-Freezable-Lunch-Closure-Black/dp/B00HJ8DFGC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1471627056&sr=8-3&keywords=freezable+lunch+bag) you toss in the freezer the night before and it folds flat-ish so you don't have a lot of bulk in your backpack and more space for your books. 

Let me know if this helps! And good luck starting the 2-a-days again! 

Thanks MeadowLily and synchroswim4. 

3 hours ago, synchorswim4 said:

I like to make a veggie mash of some sort (carrot, sweet potato, cauliflower, butternut squash, you name it) mixed with coconut milk and ghee in large batches. I do tend to prefer the sweet potato for long practices or competitions but I like to throw in a little extra veggie as well to make sure that the green vegetables are in there somewhere. I'll prep a Tupperware container the night before so I can sleep in as much as possible and just grab and go. I've found that the mash sits with me better for long morning swimming than solid vegetables.

The veggie mash does sound really good. I'll look into that. I do have a microwave veggie steamer so maybe I could use that to make the mash as well. 

4 hours ago, synchorswim4 said:

As for after practice, would you consider getting a small insulated lunch box or cooler to keep in your locker? This one (https://www.amazon.com/PackIt-Freezable-Lunch-Closure-Black/dp/B00HJ8DFGC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1471627056&sr=8-3&keywords=freezable+lunch+bag) you toss in the freezer the night before and it folds flat-ish so you don't have a lot of bulk in your backpack and more space for your books. 

I'll try to use the lunch boxes I have at home (unfortunately not the type you mentioned), but if I find that space is a problem in my bag maybe I'll look into getting one!

Thanks so much for your help! I haven't started practice yet, but once I do I'll try to make mention of it so others with similar situations can benefit as well!

Archived