Help! Need recipes using lots of onions

alcarm77

My husband has brought home two big bags of onions from a camping trip with the Scouts. I've already made caramelised onions, put some in the fridge and some in the freezer. I'm looking for suggestions involving onions as one of the main ingredients. If the recipes are freezable, so much the better.

5 hours ago, GlennR said:

Oh, and also NomNom's slow cooker chicken with gravy. Bonus: you get a lot of leftover gravy.

Oooh, yes, I second this one - this is/was very, very good....... Sadly it's off my list now due to a FODMAP intolerance, and well... the onions....  :(

Here's a chicken Balti(ish) Recipe I used to make in the past:

1 kilo of chicken breast in bite sized chunks.
4-5 medium onions chopped small
5 cloves of garlic grated
Half an inch piece of ginger grated
One tin of chopped tomatoes
Half a level dessertspoon of chili powder
Half a level dessertspoon of salt, or to taste.
Half a dessertspoon of turmeric powder
One dessertspoon of coriander powder, the same of cumin powder.
Handful of cumin seeds.
3-4 tablespoons of olive oil.
Handful of fresh coriander chopped
2 green chilies -optional – deseed if desired.
Bone broth/stock/water

In a large deep based pot/saucepan with lid fry the onions in oil until golden.
Add garlic and fry for a minute.
Add ginger and fry for a minute or so.
Rub the cumin seeds between your palms and blow off the husks gently (do it over the sink)
Add to oil and fry for a minute or so.
Add tomato and do same.
Add spices/salt, add a couple of cups of /bone broth/stock/water, mix.
Reduce heat, cover with lid and allow to simmer and reduce down. After twenty mins or so increase heat, reduce/dry out all remaining liquid whilst stirring to make the mixture resemble a puree/masala. When you see the liquid has dried and the curry is starting to release the oil add the chicken. Stir in on a medium to high heat for 5 mins, then reduce heat, add half a cup of broth/water, cover and allow to cook.

When the chicken is cooked, add the coriander, stir and cover for a couple of mins then serve – enjoy! 

Re the liver & onions I never used a recipe but used to sear thinly sliced liver briefly at a high temp on both sides, & then I'd 'fry off a bunch of onions in the oil & juices, then I'd 'de-glaze' the pan with a little bone broth and some ACV then thicken up with some arrowroot & use as a kind of sauce/gravy for the root mash I'd eat with the liver & onions.

I used the slow cooker chicken recipe, but with ox tail as we had some of that to use up. It was delicious! Although I asked my husband to blend the gravy, and he blended all the meat as well, so it turned into a very thick soup instead of meat and gravy.

• 1 month later...

Archived