Starting Whole 30 on September 5th

Mamagill08

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it has me listed as a newbie but I feel like one. It's been 3 years since my last attempt at a whole 30. I can say that my diet has not even closely resembled a Whole 30 plan during the past 3 years. I'm doing this for my health. I will actually be traveling on the 5th but I'm definitely going to start that day. I'm going to start working on many of the principles over the next 2 weeks. Prep some foods that can be frozen and get started on some sauces. Ease myself into it. 

Hi All, I'm Meredith and this will be my first Whole30. I read about the program about a year ago and firmly said 'NO- this is not for me!" I was a vegetarian at the time and couldn't imagine all the meat I'd have to consume. My ways of eating now have changed and I have access to local humanely raised meats so I'm fully on board! To prepare I've been reading 'all the things' and have tried to eliminate snacking. 
Nervous doesn't even begin to describe how I feel. My biggest concern is that I will fail. I'll say 'whatever' and give up (like I have done on so many other 'diets' in the past).

The forums will hopefully be a huge encouragement and help over the next month and beyond! Looking forward to doing this with all of you!

Hi Everyone! I'm Jenn and I will be starting my second W30 on September 5th. The first time around was very challenging, but I was part of an amazing forum group and that really helped! Looking forward to supporting each other over the next few weeks. :) My story: I did my first W30 this past June, and while it was really hard (SO. MUCH. COOKING.) by the end of it I felt like I was really getting into the food prep groove and I seriously cannot recall the last time I felt so great. And to be honest, I don't think I ever experienced "tiger blood". I just felt calm, happy, well-rested, and less achy. It was great! But then June ended and we went on a family trip to Scotland and the whole reintroduction thing kind of went out the window. And although I had a great time on our trip, I came back feeling physically crappy. Which in a way was a good thing, because it really made me realize the importance of the food I put in my body and how it affects so many aspects of my health and life. So I'm ready to jump in again!!

Sorry for the novel! Looking forward to getting to know you more! Have a great weekend!

It's great to have you on this journey with us! I can totally see how it would be hard to stay compliant on a trip to Scotland! What an amazing trip that must have been. Anytime I have stuck to clean  eating (only once!) I couldn't believe how good I felt! I'm hoping Whole 30 will help me finally make healthy eating a permanent choice.

Hey all

This will be one of many (10th I think) W30s since I first came across ISWF and did my first W30 in August 2012.  I am a big fan and I have fallen off the healthy eating wagon again.  Looking for the comfort and multiple benefits of W30.  I will post more later but I am a husband and father (two kids) here in Kingston, Ontario, Canada and I really do feel that this program has changed my life.  I welcome the "rules" and the many benefits to being on the program.

Cheers

DJ

HI all! 

I'm also starting on the 5th.  I was a pretty strict paleo eater until 3 or 4 months ago and slowly fell into eating horribly again.  Clean eating is a necessity for me. I don't feel well unless I'm on a pretty strict diet unfortunately.  

I'm eager to restart and get back to eating whole, low inflammatory foods. I've gained weight, feel swollen, and have terrible breakouts right now.  

I don't feel nervous, but after reading this forum I'm starting to think I should be! Haha.  

I look forward to sharing support with everyone in here!

Right now I am just enjoying a few soon to-be off limit foods. I am not going to go crazy though. I have done this before and I think that it can get tough around the 12-18 day Mark for me. Plus, I am doing this solo in my house and no wine. But as the mantra states- it is only 40 days and this will be my support. 

It looks like there's a lot of parents starting on the 5th; are your families doing it with you? What are family mealtimes going to look like in your house? 

(My small people range in age from 17 to 6, and i have shared custody of the smallest three, so don't have complete control of their food choices.)

I have two small people (11 and 13).  They and my wife do not eat W30.  We generally work it out.  I do most of the cooking and supplement my W30 meals with Fries, rice or other side dishes for the kids/wife.  Sometimes, we make a meal for them and I make something separate.

Cheers

DJ

I'm starting Sept. 5! It will be fun to have group support! I'll be traveling home from a weekend trip that day, but I've already got a plan of what I'll eat. I did my first Whole30 in May. I felt amazing! I still feel pretty good and stuck to the eating template most of the time even after my 30 was over. My mission this time around is to eat less fruit and nuts. I know the focus is good health and not weight loss, however, weight loss is one of the many results we see. I think my results would have been better without the fruit and nuts. It wasn't until the 3rd week  that I was able to give up snacks. Again, I blame the dependence I felt on the nuts & fruit. A sprinkle on a salad, or a little fruit with a meal will  be my "norm" this time!

On 8/20/2016 at 10:49 PM, CarrieTS said:

I don't think it has me listed as a newbie but I feel like one. It's been 3 years since my last attempt at a whole 30. 

No, it says you're an Advanced member! :) It will be nice to learn from the seasoned veterans out there! I'm sure you have a lot of good information to share

On 8/28/2016 at 1:56 AM, djoyce said:

I welcome the "rules" and the many benefits to being on the program.

Hi DJ!  I think the black and white rules of the program will be what get me through too! Being in Canada, what are the stores you shop for things beyond fruits, veggies and meats? I'm in New Brunswick and don't (sadly) have Whole Foods. 

22 hours ago, Cannylassy said:

What are family mealtimes going to look like in your house? 

I don't have any little ones running around but I do have a partner who doesn't cook ('cause beans & wieners don't count!). I do all the cooking for lunches and suppers and he does his own breakfasts before work. On the weekends I make breakfasts too.  
What I see happening for us is that I'll cook a complaint meal and if he wants to add pasta, rice, bread, or omit some veggies etc he can. My biggest struggle will be not tasting those extras that I cook for him, and keeping his snacks in a no-fly zone. 

Archived