Starting Whole 30 on September 5th

Mamagill08

We are 6 Days in!!!  Almost 1/4 completed.  Last night was tough.  Went out to dinner for first time since onset.  Really wanted a glass of wine.  I stuck to club soda and lime.  Brought my own dressing and had a salad with chicken.  Boy did my honeys beer look delicious.  <_<<_<<_<   Thanks for those who shared recipes.  Going to make the crock pot pork this weekend and maybe the lemon chicken if there is time.  How is everyone else doing?  What has been the hardest part?  Any tips to share?

Have a great Saturday!:D

Shelli

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doing well here, I am happy to say. Spending most of my time outdoors & in the garden... harvesting & preserving. Even my dog is tired at the end of the day. :D I think one of the reasons W30 works so well for me, at times like this when I am really, really busy, is that it takes away that "what should I have?" aspect of meals. When I am not on W30 I can stand in front of the fridge & dream up all kinds of things to eat, and the only virtue there is that most of what I can dream up is *fast*. When I am on W30, I always cook in volume, so when it comes time for a meal, I just pick & choose from what's already in my fridge.  And when something unexpected happens & I might have to be away from home over a meal time, I grab a lunch bag, ice pack, and leftovers. Fortunately, I generally like most foods cold. Why don't I do this all the time???? One reason... my husband dislikes leftovers & has a strong preference for meals that are freshly cooked each & every meal. Hmmm.... a challenge to figure out, for sure, when he gets home from his current work stint in a month or two.

RECIPES & BREAKFAST: For those who asked re favourite recipes, and for those who find that cooking breakfast is a challenge.....for me, both those questions can be answered with "leftovers"! One great leftover that I particularly like is a frittata, which has endless possibilities so it's worth finding a version that you like. The first one I made incorporated greens, and it was almost the end of my love affair with frittata. My fav version... crumble & brown about a pound of ground park in a large frying pan, add salt, sage, garlic powder, cayenne chili pepper (aka sausage seasonings, and sorry, no, I don't measure. Try 1 tsp of each & adjust after tasting). Stir in chopped onion, zucchini, & broccoli until all vegs are slightly cooked (I usually end up with a 3 to 1 veg to meat ratio). Dump it all into a large oven-proof dish that has been greased with coconut oil. Pour beaten eggs over top (8-10 should do it). Bake in 375F oven & cook 50 minutes. Slice into wedges & store the wedges in a covered container. Can be re-heated in the microwave or eaten cold as finger food. Would probably be good with salsa on it too.

Here's to us, and the gift of a health-filled day!

Here is a breakfast idea for those of us who hate mornings and would rather catch a few more ZZZZZ's than cook.

• Cupcake tin 
  • eggs
  • prosciutto or bacon
  • Favorite veggies - peppers, scallions, asparagus, mushrooms, whatever
  • salt, pepper, herbs - fresh or dried - you pick, you know what flavors you like.
  • set oven to 350
  • lightly grease the cupcake tin
  • line each hole in the cupcake tin with the meat
  • crack an egg to each - or you can mix them scramble style
  • add veggies and seasonings
  • Bake 12-15 minutes. Done.

Now you have breakfast for the whole week, you can pop 2 of them in a sandwich bag and eat them on the go!

Made these for a camping weekend during my first W30, everyone loved them, and because they are so easy, my daughter makes them all the time now. Oh yeah - I didn't tell everyone they were eating W30 compliant food - they just raved about how good everything I brought was. I finally copped to it at the end of the trip, it got a few of them thinking about doing it too.

BTW - I can't figure out how to update my profile pic - seems like my last one vaporized, I've scoured the edit profile tab, I must be blind! Please help!

3 hours ago, RubytheSugarDragonSlayer said:

BTW - I can't figure out how to update my profile pic - seems like my last one vaporized, I've scoured the edit profile tab, I must be blind! Please help!

Once your are in the profile section - look where your picture belongs.  There is a icon of a photo that you click on to upload your new image.

I've been making my own chicken salad lately.  Two frozen chicken breasts on top of rack in Instant Pot.  Sprinkled with compliant seasoning, add 1.5 cups of water (or broth), pressure on poultry setting (15 minutes on high), natural release.  Cut across grain and then shred.  I pulse carrots, onions and celery in the food processor.  Add compliant mayo (homemade).  Spice to taste.

I've been eating it with tomatoes and a vinaigrette for many M1 and M2s.

Doing poorly on the exercise thing.  I have bilateral plantar fasciitis (severe heel pain) from a variety of factors (overweight, standing for my job too much, menopausal, old shoes).  Achy joints is part of my lifetime of chronic pain which eventually got diagnosed as fibromyalgia.  I can't really say my foot pain is due to fibromyalgia, but certainly due to the other things. 

But sticking to the plan is going well.  We have a tiny fridge so basically I made up Well Fed Chocolate Chili, a pot of homemade bolognese sauce, and roasted a chicken.  And made broth and mayo.  I'm living off of those things plus fresh veggies.

Regarding the coffee thing, just stop playing games.  This is about changing your relationship with food.  That includes either drinking good coffee black, or acknowledging that what you really want is a cup of a sweet milky liquid, and skipping it for the month.

Yay for W30! I was invited to a restaurant for supper & was able to check out the menu beforehand. I took my own salad dressing & my own ghee, ordered garden salad & half a lobster (split with another person in our party).... both foods are virtually foolproof in a restaurant as long as you tell them to hold the dressing & the butter.... I came home stuffed & feeling pretty happy. A restaurant meal that wasn't my usual "steak & baked potato"!

Mmmmm, lobster.  I miss shellfish.  Keep trying to figure out a way to prepare it here but my older daughter is home too much.  And she's very allergic.

Long day, and really wanted to chuck it.  Probably just tired and smelling junk food at the tournament.  They did pretty good.  Little Bit is on the alternate team, so didn't get to play much.  Had a couple of opportunities to make some good plays, but second guess herself at the last second.  We talked to her about that between matches, and in the last game she played in, she trusted her gut and made a beautiful bump.  (As I said, she plays rarely enough that I can remember every play she was involved in).  So that really made her feel good.  I wanted to pout though, because I'd been conscripted as a line judge and couldn't cheer for her.

Took a bit of a nap when we got home, and I'm about to head to bed again. 

13 hours ago, RubytheSugarDragonSlayer said:

Here is a breakfast idea for those of us who hate mornings and would rather catch a few more ZZZZZ's than cook.

• Cupcake tin 
  • eggs
  • prosciutto or bacon
  • Favorite veggies - peppers, scallions, asparagus, mushrooms, whatever
  • salt, pepper, herbs - fresh or dried - you pick, you know what flavors you like.
  • set oven to 350
  • lightly grease the cupcake tin
  • line each hole in the cupcake tin with the meat
  • crack an egg to each - or you can mix them scramble style
  • add veggies and seasonings
  • Bake 12-15 minutes. Done.

Now you have breakfast for the whole week, you can pop 2 of them in a sandwich bag and eat them on the go!

Made these for a camping weekend during my first W30, everyone loved them, and because they are so easy, my daughter makes them all the time now. Oh yeah - I didn't tell everyone they were eating W30 compliant food - they just raved about how good everything I brought was. I finally copped to it at the end of the trip, it got a few of them thinking about doing it too.

Sooooo doing this!!!

On 6 September 2016 at 7:56 PM, Murcian said:

Yes I can!! Day 2 hangover here..... And no fancy goods just wonderful fresh produce 

2nd Whole30 and forgot the hangover can linger! Day 6 and woke to a throbbing head...didn't realise my body was missing sugar so much.  I'm still enjoying the journey and finding new ways to prepare. Sunday today so it's prep day!! Lots of gorgeous soups, chickens to be cooked and veg to be prepared. It saves so much time. One hint for those soup lovers is to keep a stock pot. I use my slow cooker on low and top it up during the week ( yes it's been on low all week!) last week I put in two chicken carcasses with carrots, celery, onion and black pepper corns. I've made three batches of soups and used it for various recipes during the week. Added a lamb bone with veg peelings ( washed of course) on Thursday so already for my leek and potato soup this morning. It's really rich and luscious. Today I'll empty the slow cooker, clean it out and start again! Bone broth is also perfect if your feeling the dragon. A small cup of just the broth is perfect to get the body back on line.

carpe diem

I found myself downtown yesterday later than I'd planned and very hungry.  The only thing I could think of eating was my glutenfree emergency meal which is salad and a hamburger patty.  I've been having so many food reactions lately, I often get that even when eating at a nicer restaurant. But there's a local burger chain with good quality food.  Usually what I do is get a salad with a burger patty and avocado.  Their dressing isn't so good, so I order the 3 flavored mayonnaises they offer with French fries, and use that as a dressing instead.  But god knows what kind of oil they use in that.  I remembered there's a City Target nearby, so went there and bought a bottle of extra virgin olive oil—they had California Olive Ranch, which isn't bad.  So I ordered by salad and grabbed extra lemon wedges that are put out for iced tea, some salt and pepper and found a table that was out of the way and pulled out my bottle of olive oil and dressed my salad.  Plan to get some tiny Nalgene bottles from the Container Store and carry around some oil and vinegar for future emergencies.  The California Olive Ranch oil, I noticed had little flavor.  When I make my homemade mayo (with the stick blender, what a gamechanger) I buy Mission olive oil because it has a mild flavor (they sell it in bulk at the food coop) and mix it 50/50 with avocado oil.  Anyway, I made some mayo with the stuff I bought at Target blended with avocado oil, and it was good.

Glad to see a frittata recipe here, as I'm planning to make one this week.  Made one about a month ago, a small one that lasted 4 days, and it was a success, but I don't know why this intimidates me, but I'm planning to move forward with it.  I find myself wanting to skip meals because it's so much work to fix something.  I'm planning to make the Whole30 cookbook salmon patties.  Made them before and yum.  And some turkey meatballs.  I love turkey meatballs.  And kale salad.  And maybe roast the giant chicken breast I have in my freezer.  I ordered a farm box for the next 4 weeks—a trial subscription.  They have those amazing $$$ chickens, the kind raised in pastures with barcaloungers, and they sell chicken backs for pretty cheap, so ordered some of them to make bone stock with.  Want to make a big pot of some stew-type thing, but can't decide what.  It's weird thinking about food so much.  I feel complainy a bit, but I haven't been tempted to stray.

Day 7 #Septemberwhole30.

Thing are going very well.  Yesterday I was a little tired.  I am loving the daily 30 email. It keeps me motivated.  My boyfriend is very supportive and made a pork loin in the crockpot for me last week.  I've also enjoyed the awesome green beans from the farmers market.  I have 3 pounds of them in the frig and I'm going to try canning with a pressure cooker for the first time.  We have also canned tomatoes this week.  I feel like this is such a great time of year for doing W30 in my region because of all the awsome fresh veggies from the local farmers market.  Oh and also the delicious Michigan peaches and honeycrisp apples.  

On 9/9/2016 at 9:20 AM, MalinHillevi said:

Favourite so far: Kalua pulled pork from Nom Nom Paleo, plus the resulting Pig-in-a-skillet (which I might have had for both breakfast and lunch today o_O) Also roasted veg, tasty and so easy to make!

Ask your partner/child/neighbour to hide the scales! You don't need them, promise!

HI there,  I made the pulled pork.  I bought it from B.J.s.  It is very greasy.  Is this ok or did I buy the wrong one?  Also, not sure what to do with it now.  Help?

11 minutes ago, No more muffins said:

HI there,  I made the pulled pork.  I bought it from B.J.s.  It is very greasy.  Is this ok or did I buy the wrong one?  Also, not sure what to do with it now.  Help?

I'm not in the US, have no idea what BJs is :-) I just bought some pork, no bone, no skin, some fat. Fat isn't dangerous, just remove some if needed. I just followed the recipe, then fished out the meat and shredded it, and poured some of the brine over it to moisten it.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 0:28 AM, DD Ann said:

Hi there! It's so nice to read about how everyone is doing. I've been fine up until today.....feeling as though I'm getting flu. Luckily I have Thursday afternoons off, so was able to rest a bit. 

Hopefully, you are feeling better. Isn't it funny how food makes us feel? And how the lack of some it makes us feel? 

42 minutes ago, No more muffins said:

We Did It!!!  7 Days!

I made the Kalua Pork.  There is so much grease in the crockpot from the pork, it also tastes quite salty.  I wonder if I did it correctly?  I bought the chunk of pork from B.J.'s.  Any thoughts?  

Shelli

I have this recipe in the crockpot right now! I was very conservative with the salt because I don't care much for salty food! Did BJ's butcher put a label on the pork? Sometimes grocery store meat has injected salt solutions as well as sugar! :( I bought my pork roast from Sprouts and the wrapper claimed there was no added salt or sugar... so hopefully it will be good! I did read someone's suggestion of removing the meat before shred it because if you shred it in the liquid that is in the bottom of the pot it will be too salty.

@Bellad - fritattas may become one of your new best friends - we make them almost every Sunday - just chop and saute or use leftover meats and veggies from the week (heated up), toss them in a greased, oven safe pan, add egg mixture, and bake at 400 until done. Time depends on size - we found individual size cast iron skillets in a junk store which work perfectly - that way we can each have the flavors we want. He likes a lot of peppers and they give me indigestion. Bigger pan, more eggs, more time...and easier foods for a few more meals.

Hello everyone! We are making our way through this Whole30!! One of my challenges this first week was starting the day I was driving home from a trip and not having time to prep. I really wanted to jump in and begin the 5th of Sept with all of you though and I'm glad I did! I want to go into this week a lot better prepared though. I ate a few things last week that were compliant but not extremely satisfying.  I got up this morning and started two crockpots already. One has the Kalua Pork that everyone is raving about and the other has some chicken breasts. I also cooked some bacon which I will freeze most of, but use a few slices to crumble to make my lunch salads more exciting. So.. here is the plan: I'll have pork to pull from for several meals, and toss in freezer bags when I've had enough, I'll use some of the pork and add some green chili for taco salads, I'm using the chicken broth to make a pot of the Kale, Butternut soup from the Whole30 book (I think it has pork, but I prefer chicken in soups), I am chopping veggies for a stir fry with cauliflower rice, I'm going to make breakfast patties with some herbs, sausage and ground mushrooms & carrots, I'm hard boiling a few eggs. I'm also chopping up a variety of veggies for salad toppers and storing them in a bento box, so when I want to make a salad, I can grab it and toss some things together.

Happy prepping to you all. I love reading your meals when you post them!

Bracing for a challenging week - 5 day business trip, 3 cities, coast to coast. Will see the Atlantic Ocean on Monday and the Pacific on Wednesday, home late Friday. Printed the sheets for restaurant and travel. Packing some foods for survival, never know when your plane will get delayed on the tarmac or you'll get stuck in one of those famous Los Angles traffic jams. I know when I'm over hungry that I'm more likely to make bad decisions - trying to work the offense!

Here is what's going in my emergency stash:

• cashews
  • olives
  • dried fruit and nut mix
  • and a couple LaraBars (emergency only - yea, yea - I know, not using them like a candy bar) No time to get the RXBars.

Any other suggestions???

Ruby, hard boiled eggs, at least for the first leg of the trip. 

RE: lots of grease (fat) at the bottom of kalua pork.  That's normal.  Pork shoulder is a fatty piece of meat and the long cooking time melts it down.  And a lot of the salt that you put on the pork ends up in that fat.  When I shred mine, I add a few spoonfuls over the top of the shreds and mix them in, keeps it moist that way.

Just mowed the yard, counting that as my exercise for the day.  Sweating like crazy and it's 60° outside.  Need to defrost some meat and run to the store for veggies to prep for the week.  I've been doing a lot with sweet potato's in the morning, and while I should change it up, it seems to be working for us.  Hubby loves it and I'm not getting hungry til about noon.  I might shred them this time for a change.  I'm so adventurous!

Happy day 7!!! Is anyone else having weird mood swings about whole 30? For example, I've been really enjoying drinking my black tea without milk, but this morning I woke up and was like "argh I want a delicious cup of black tea with some almond milk?"

I've  also been extremely busy (I'm a PhD student) which has made this less stressful. I've settled on one lunch and breakfast combo to bring with my every day. 

In terms of restaurants, check out Digg Inn. It's a inexpensive chain sort of like chipotle, but instead of making burrito, you pick from a selection of delicious veggies and choose a protein. Example include roasted sweet potatoes, roasted kale, cauliflower etc.

Sunday evening here, first week almost done, yay! Feeling great so far (knock on wood) Dinner today will be Seafarer's Lemon pepper chicken, it has been simmering away in the slowcooker all day and smells heavenly! Cauliflower rice and a big sallad to go with it. There will be lots of leftovers, I did a double batch. Not sure what to do with the broth, any suggestions? I don't want to throw it out.

I have some Kalua pulled pork for pig-in-a-skillet tomorrow morning, then I will make a big frittata tomorrow evening for the rest of the breakfasts this week. Grocery store had a special on eggs this weekend, so we have 60 eggs in the fridge right now... I thought I would plan and cook more on the weekends but instead I have cooked up a couple of things and filled the fridge with veggies to go with.

I hope everyone has a great week :-)

Day 7..Yay!!..It's been a mixed week for me..My meal planning was great..lots of yummy food and I felt full between meals which was great. Then Day 5 I wanted to kill all the things and this feeling is still there to a lesser degree..I've worked 6 days this week so now I'm not as prepared for next week..We've been invited to a friend's bbq tonight which I'm dreading..Im planning to make a salad and a potato salad so that we can be sure of 2 compliant things..but what if they only do sausages..do we eat them and hope they are compliant or pass and maybe seem rude...agghhh...Has anyone else been feeling really bloated? I'm guessing its from all the veggies my body is not used to eating so much of..my boyfriends eczema is really bad over the last few days too...which I have been telling him is normal...things usually get worse before they get better right?!...apologies for the negative post..I have a day off on Tuesday so I plan to do lots of shopping and batch cooking then..I just need to survive the next few days and the bbq tonight! Well done to everyone:)

27 minutes ago, elize said:

Has anyone else been feeling really bloated? I'm guessing its from all the veggies my body is not used to eating so much of..my boyfriends eczema is really bad over the last few days too...which I have been telling him is normal...things usually get worse before they get better right?!.

Keep an eye on the bloating. The body does require some time to adjust, but some folk are sensitive to certain groups of veg and bloating can be a symptom of this. If it doesn't subside post in the Trouble shooting forum and we can take a look and see if anything jumps out that may be your culprit.

Eczema can get worse before it gets better, but again if he doesn;t see improvement soon please let us know - it could be something he is eating that is causing a flare up.

Re the BBQ, can you call and ask your friend what protein options there will be? And maybe ask that they leave some plain (ie. no marinade, no spice rub) if they were planning on cooking thhings like chicken breast? YOu can explain that you're eliminating some f oods right now to see if you have any food sensitivities and be clear about what you need to avoid. Even a small mouthful of non compliant food will re-set your re-set, whether accidental or intentional....

Good luck, and enjoy!!

Archived