Starting Whole 30 on September 5th

Mamagill08

On September 10, 2016 at 4:35 AM, jmcbn said:

I know you keep saying you've done many rounds of W30 and that you do better eating 3 square meals but this isn't the first time I've seen you report being burned out or injured. Have you ever thought it's because you are pushing your body too much and denying  it the fuel it deserves? Many people train fasted, or don't do the whole PreWO food (myself included) because that's what works for them, but most people make an effort to include a postWO meal and they see the benefits - your body has EARNED that fuel, and denying it greatly inhibits muscle recovery & repair. Combining postWO and your next meal doesn't work because the fat in the meal prevents muscle protein synthesis, and it's likely that the protein in your next meal is eaten outside of the recovery window anyways.... Just sayin'! ;)

The pre and post w/o food is a bit of a challenge for me, but is one of the things I'm working on this time around. Do I feel like eating at the crack for pre dawn? No! I usually have a h/boiled egg or a bit of chicken and a little bit of sweet potato and a few nuts. Sometimes, a bit swypo, I have chia seeds with coconut or almond milk. If I'm doing a light workout, I don't eat ( maybe a bit of fat with the coffee). I take my breakfast with me and have it after my workout. I keep the fat content down for this meal. 

What do you think jmcbn?

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, RubytheSugarDragonSlayer said:

@Bellad - fritattas may become one of your new best friends - we make them almost every Sunday - just chop and saute or use leftover meats and veggies from the week (heated up), toss them in a greased, oven safe pan, add egg mixture, and bake at 400 until done. Time depends on size - we found individual size cast iron skillets in a junk store which work perfectly - that way we can each have the flavors we want. He likes a lot of peppers and they give me indigestion. Bigger pan, more eggs, more time...and easier foods for a few more meals.

Thanks for the encouragement.  Planning to make one later today, but want to get some meat for it, as I'm low on that.  An excuse to take a walk.  I'm cleaning out my refrigerator, so will be useful for receiving all these lonely veggies in there.

41 minutes ago, FranE said:

The pre and post w/o food is a bit of a challenge for me, but is one of the things I'm working on this time around. Do I feel like eating at the crack for pre dawn? No! I usually have a h/boiled egg or a bit of chicken and a little bit of sweet potato and a few nuts. Sometimes, a bit swypo, I have chia seeds with coconut or almond milk. If I'm doing a light workout, I don't eat ( maybe a bit of fat with the coffee). I take my breakfast with me and have it after my workout. I keep the fat content down for this meal. 

What do you think jmcbn?

If you can't do the preWO then don't, unless it means your first food of the day will be more than an hour after wakening. And if your WO is during the day then just increase the protein & fat in your earlier meal. Don't skip the postWO though. As I mentioned to DJ your muscles have earned this fuel, and they need it for recovery & repair. Combining postWO with your next meal does not work, even with limited fat - you're short changing yourself on protein for muscle protein synthesis, and then you're short changing yourself on fat because you're trying to not short change yourself on protein. A few bites of a lean protein immediately once you're finished is what we suggest - I eat mine in the locker room before I shower, then I get myself organised and have breakfast in work.

The hardboiled egg, the chicken or the nuts are all fine for preWO, but leave the starches until after. These will peak in the blood as fuel very quickly so your body will burn this during your WO instead of learning to tap into it's fat stores.

6 hours ago, RubytheSugarDragonSlayer said:

Bracing for a challenging week - 5 day business trip, 3 cities, coast to coast. Will see the Atlantic Ocean on Monday and the Pacific on Wednesday, home late Friday. Printed the sheets for restaurant and travel. Packing some foods for survival, never know when your plane will get delayed on the tarmac or you'll get stuck in one of those famous Los Angles traffic jams. I know when I'm over hungry that I'm more likely to make bad decisions - trying to work the offense!

Here is what's going in my emergency stash:

• cashews
  • olives
  • dried fruit and nut mix
  • and a couple LaraBars (emergency only - yea, yea - I know, not using them like a candy bar) No time to get the RXBars.

Any other suggestions???

Traveling can be tricky but planning was key for me on my last one, sounds like you are on top of things! I also brought the pouches of tuna (not recommended for the plane, your neighbors will thank you) and bring plastic ware and eat out of the pouch. Not glamorous but gets the job done! Avocados can travel well, put them in a shoe (plastic Baggie first) or something so they don't smash and just use your plastic ware and eat out of the avocado peel. If you can find compliant beef sticks or beef jerky that helps too. Good luck and enjoy your travels!

8 hours ago, RubytheSugarDragonSlayer said:

Bracing for a challenging week - 5 day business trip, 3 cities, coast to coast. Will see the Atlantic Ocean on Monday and the Pacific on Wednesday, home late Friday. Printed the sheets for restaurant and travel. Packing some foods for survival, never know when your plane will get delayed on the tarmac or you'll get stuck in one of those famous Los Angles traffic jams. I know when I'm over hungry that I'm more likely to make bad decisions - trying to work the offense!

Here is what's going in my emergency stash:

• cashews
  • olives
  • dried fruit and nut mix
  • and a couple LaraBars (emergency only - yea, yea - I know, not using them like a candy bar) No time to get the RXBars.

Any other suggestions???

Wow! Now there's a challenge! Hopefully you will have a bar fridge available & can do some quick shopping on your way between airport & hotel. I usually pack some vegs & stash them in the first fridge I come to. Carrot, zucchini & celery sticks are obvious choices, but I have had really good results packing string beans. They seem to last quite nicely. These can go in my carry on. In my checked bag... I also have a very thin "space blanket - type" bag, and I can throw an ice pack in it along with some mayo & hb eggs. The ice pack goes in the hotel room fridge's teeny tiny freezer as soon as I arrive. Ghee & tins of sardines, tuna, salmon don't need to be refrigerated & can tuck into the corners of your suitcase.

I seem to recall there are quite a few travel threads on the forums, so search & have a look around. You'll probably find lots of great tips. 

9 hours ago, No more muffins said:

We Did It!!!  7 Days!

I made the Kalua Pork.  There is so much grease in the crockpot from the pork, it also tastes quite salty.  I wonder if I did it correctly?  I bought the chunk of pork from B.J.'s.  Any thoughts?  

Shelli

Thefirst time I made it I didn't realize there were different kinds of pork roast. I picked the less expensive shoulder roast and it was very, very greasy. Another name for it is picnic roast. Today I used a butt roast and that is much less so. Any chance you had a roast other than butt?

10 hours ago, Catlover said:

Hopefully, you are feeling better. Isn't it funny how food makes us feel? And how the lack of some it makes us feel? 

Is anyone experiencing feeling hot all the time--like a hot flash, but I got over thoses years ago.  Or can the whole30 eating bring it on?  Also found a paleo mayo at Costco and it tastes great. It is made with avocado oil..

43 minutes ago, 50andstillhere said:

Is anyone experiencing feeling hot all the time--like a hot flash, but I got over thoses years ago.  Or can the whole30 eating bring it on?  Also found a paleo mayo at Costco and it tastes great. It is made with avocado oil..

Yes all day Friday my face was flushed and felt warm. I'm guessing it's our hormones regulating...hopefully :)

Hello everyone! It's Day 8.

I did a lot of prepping this week and I'm happy to be going into this week with a lot of great choices to grab.

meal 1: eggs, veggies, avocado

meal 2: leftover Kalua pork, green beans, olives

dinner: Kale & butternut stew

My mission this week is to not include nuts or fruit. Last round I ate them as snacks and said I would not do that this round! I have tried to only include them during meals, however, I think after making it through my first week, it's time to let go of them. Nuts are very calorie dense and I can definitely eat a lot more of something else in their place! Eventually, I'll add them back in as a sprinkle on a salad, not a handful as my fat source though.

17 hours ago, jmcbn said:

If you can't do the preWO then don't, unless it means your first food of the day will be more than an hour after wakening. And if your WO is during the day then just increase the protein & fat in your earlier meal. Don't skip the postWO though. As I mentioned to DJ your muscles have earned this fuel, and they need it for recovery & repair. Combining postWO with your next meal does not work, even with limited fat - you're short changing yourself on protein for muscle protein synthesis, and then you're short changing yourself on fat because you're trying to not short change yourself on protein. A few bites of a lean protein immediately once you're finished is what we suggest - I eat mine in the locker room before I shower, then I get myself organised and have breakfast in work.

The hardboiled egg, the chicken or the nuts are all fine for preWO, but leave the starches until after. These will peak in the blood as fuel very quickly so your body will burn this during your WO instead of learning to tap into it's fat stores.

OK. Good advice. Maybe a little chicken (what else) after workout. What do you think about beef jerky? Could leave that in gym locker (no refrigeration necessary). Since one of my goals is really getting on to the fat burning and reducing the carbs (compliant but ...). This is a good time for me to work on this. I'm rehabbing a hamstring injury, so my runs are not too demanding right now. Would like to have this fat burning down before I start ramping up again!

Day 8. Still on board. Luckily, have had none of the adverse side effects, because I have been mostly eating paleo for quite a while. It's been good to get off some of the paleo "breads" and various paleo snacks (amazing what you can make with compliant foods). Feel better not having so many treats! Maybe, it's just feeling obnoxiously virtuous :-)

I wanna be obnoxiously virtuous.  At least in my own mind :).  Seriously though, I could put that down on my goal sheet.  It's missing snark, and I need that in my life.  LOL

Had a rough weekend.  I've not been eating template and it's really affecting me.  Everything I've had is compliant, just not enough and not consistent.  It's kind of that vicious spiral that I've been going through for awhile.  Tired, worn out, don't eat right, makes me more tired, worn out.  Little Bit had a volleyball tournament on Saturday, and then we went to the farm for our meat/eggs.  I was so wiped after that, it was a miracle dinner made it to the table.  Yesterday after mowing, I hit a wall.  Didn't make it to the store until after 5:00 PM.  Dinner was template, but by then I had nothing left.  Had to scramble to get breakfast on this morning and lunches packed.  Brought the ingredients today to make my lunch (shrimp salad, safer to make it at work than home).  If I can just pull it together for a few days, I know I'll feel better and be able to plan/get ahead of the game.

Day 8 -- feeling pretty good.  Made it through a somewhat tough day yesterday as my daughter (20) was busily making carmel apple pie bites for her coworkers.  For a brief moment, I really wanted to eat one.  Just one.  But I didn't.  I reminded myself, 30 days.... and I wasn't going to waste 7 days and have to start over.  I didn't crave them -- but they sure smelled great!  

Anyway, on to day 8.  I didn't meal plan or prep over the weekend so I'll have to catch up on some of that tonight.  My future self will appreciate it even as my current, football loving self will not as I prep instead of watching MNF.  :-)

Definitely wasn't eating enough food.  Had a decent breakfast and Just had a huge lunch (for me) consisting of half of a shrimp salad (full bowl was 3/4pound of shrimp, avocado, about 1/4 c mayo & lemon juice, salt, dill.  Ahhmazing!!), a beautiful heirloom tomato and a fuji apple.  My stomach is comfortably full and I'm in a little better place than I've been all weekend.  Now I just need to figure out dinner since I was being blonde this morning and forgot to set anything out.

I was away this weekend. Again without prep, but managed to get compliant snacks and make them into a meal on Saturday - and stayed at my sister-in-law's, who is also on the Whole30. SO that was good. Anyway, wow does it feel like Day 8. I still feel SO much better than a few weeks ago, but this time I am really following the Whole30 timeline (if you know what I mean)...

So happy to see so many of you still on here and sticking with it! 25% of the way to Day 30!

Started my 2nd full on Whole30 on 9/5 but after my 1st one last Oct I have gone back and forth eating paleo, etc. This summer was a huge struggle for me and I allowed myself to fall back into old habits with no breaks. Ready to get this 70lbs off for good!! 1st week has been pretty smooth just trying not to be that annoying person who thinks she found the magic formula (I know whole30 works but I get militant about it) Loving the clarity I'm feeling this round and my anxiety is way low!

5 hours ago, FranE said:

OK. Good advice. Maybe a little chicken (what else) after workout. What do you think about beef jerky? Could leave that in gym locker (no refrigeration necessary). Since one of my goals is really getting on to the fat burning and reducing the carbs (compliant but ...). This is a good time for me to work on this. I'm rehabbing a hamstring injury, so my runs are not too demanding right now. Would like to have this fat burning down before I start ramping up again!

Beef jerky is another good option of you can source I compliant one (I sadly can't in this part of the world), or tuna in spring water is another one that won't need refrigeration and could be kept in your locker...

Provided you're avoiding snacks, and really building your meals to match the template you could be fat adapted by about two weeks in - or thereabouts...

2 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Beef jerky is another good option of you can source I compliant one (I sadly can't in this part of the world), or tuna in spring water is another one that won't need refrigeration and could be kept in your locker...

Provided you're avoiding snacks, and really building your meals to match the template you could be fat adapted by about two weeks in - or thereabouts...

Luckily, I have sourced a local jerky producer!  Will see how popular I am in the locker room with the tuna lol!  Will keep working on this. I have a couple of days out of town at a hotel with no fridge. Will be a challenge, but doable,bi think. Thanks for the advice. 

23 hours ago, Mistyfire said:

Thefirst time I made it I didn't realize there were different kinds of pork roast. I picked the less expensive shoulder roast and it was very, very greasy. Another name for it is picnic roast. Today I used a butt roast and that is much less so. Any chance you had a roast other than butt?

I am pretty sure it was a butt.  :lol:

9 hours ago, Catlover said:

Does anyone have a zoodle maker? I keep seeing recipes for spiralized vegetables and I want to try it! If you have one, I'd love to know the brand you bought. If you bought one that doesn't work, that would be helpful too!

Mine is hand held and cost around $10.  I bought it at the grocery store.  Not sure where you are, but try looking on line.  Its called a veggetti.

Archived