Starting Whole 30 on September 5th

Mamagill08

Feeling proud :D We had guest this evening, my dad, his partner, my nephew and his girlfriend. They didn't wan't proper food but brought cake (super-amazing cake!) but I ate roasted veggies, fried eggs and aioli instead. And I wasn't really tempted! Plus I have three more serving of veg for lunch tomorrow and later (and I pulled a bag of Kalua pulled pork from the freezer for tomorrows breakfast and lunch. Yes, I'm obsessed! Have to make more this weekend!)

Day 10 is done, one third through! Hope everyone's doing well!

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Riya said:

Push through it.  Make sure you're eating enough protein and fat. 

Walked into work.  Breakfast pizza in the break-room.  Many bad words wanted to escape my mouth.

I feel your pain.  Today is sons 15th.  I bought only 2 cupcakes, from this amazing cupcakery.  1 for him and 1 for hubby (daughter at college)  They look soooo good.  At least there will be no temptation with a leftovers.  

Would having some fruit help during dinner?  It has for me.  Are we allowed pineapple?  Very sweet.  

Day 3 for me (started late). Felt fairly sluggish/tired all day and have not had much of an appetite. My workout didn't go as great either, my endurance wasn't there like usual. I know this is the part of the timeline where you might need to try to take it easy and rest, which isn't easy for me. Surprisingly, so far I haven't experienced the headaches that I have in past rounds. :)

12 hours ago, Catlover said:

Who has some strategies for avoiding nighttime cravings?????

What works for me: Full breakfast, at the upper end of the template. Generous portions of fat and protein. Ditto for supper... generous with fat & protein, and at least 3 cups veggies. To that supper I might add a dish of blueberries with coconut milk. Then tea. Then brush teeth. But for me... and it took me a looooooong time to learn this & even longer to accept it..... the key is  b r e a k f a s t.  Good luck, catlover! (BTW, how many cats do you have?)

Had a great day today, prepped M1 and M2 and cooked an amazing dinnerNom Nom Paleo Weeknight Roasted Chicken with sautéed butternut squash. If you have 90 minutes on a weeknight, make this! Not much hands on at all and the pan sauce is ridiculously good.

overall feeling so much better than my last (and first) complete W30. Not as stressed, honestly I think because my husband's NOT doing it with me. He's on his own for breakfast and I make compliant mason jar salads and prep compliant dinners.

My work life (long hours) and home life (kids, etc) are still completely crazy and stressful but I'm able to deal with it, I feel a lot calmer, more focused and overall have more energy and feel better. So while I initially thought I was insane to do a W30 at this crazy time, I'm so happy I have, I think it's what's enabling me to get through this insanity.

Hang in there everyone, 10 days down!

Day 10 started out pretty crappy.... absolutely NO appetite, mild cramps, just blah. That continued for most of the day, during which I was also bringing in things from the garden... green peppers, hot pepper, onions, oregano, basil..... to add to the tomatoes that had been simmering since yesterday. By suppertime I had the most amazingly, yummy, spaghetti sauce to mix with browned ground beef & zucchini noodles... plenty for supper & at least one more meal, plus 6 large jars to store. I decided to make it a Day 10 celebration... club soda served over ice in a fancy glass, kale chips, and my sauce/beef/zucchini. Yum! And... Day 10 down.

I decided to avoid the football spread at work so I wouldn't be tempted.  Everyone pigged out on nachos chips, salsa, and processed cheese.  I made them brownies, knowing they wouldn't last too long, and I didn't even want one.  Now what I did want is some wine on Saturday night.  I was proud that I didn't give in though.  1/3 done!!

Doing well here.  I am on day 17 (started a week early).  I am feeling better this week as a full weekend off from my training program is just what the doctor (OK my quads) ordered.  Back at it hard Monday, Tuesday and today... I am going to experiment with post-WO meals again.  

When on W30, I do tend to develop a bit of a lamb craving.  I really enjoy a good lamb chop (or 2 or 3) and I made lamb and butternut squash mash as a post-WO meal to try this week.

Meals today were:

M1 - 3 poached eggs, squash/lamb mash (did not get it in Post-WO so M1 veg) and a small banana

M2 - W30 saussage, baked potato, sliced peppers and a small apple

M3 - Grilled chicken with mustard and chili seasoning, potato home fries in Ghee and a greens salad

Just got my CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) share today and I have a small bounty of veggies.  Have lots of fresh garlic, kale, beets, fennel, leeks, potato, basil and tomato.  It is an organic local farm and I enjoy getting and trying veggies that I would not ordinarily buy at the store.

Keep up with the strong effort everyone!

Cheers

DJ

17 hours ago, MalinHillevi said:

Feeling proud :D We had guest this evening, my dad, his partner, my nephew and his girlfriend. They didn't wan't proper food but brought cake (super-amazing cake!) but I ate roasted veggies, fried eggs and aioli instead. And I wasn't really tempted! Plus I have three more serving of veg for lunch tomorrow and later (and I pulled a bag of Kalua pulled pork from the freezer for tomorrows breakfast and lunch. Yes, I'm obsessed! Have to make more this weekend!)

Day 10 is done, one third through! Hope everyone's doing well!

That is really impressive!  I think being a little obsessive is helpful. Well done!

10 hours ago, Seafarer said:

What works for me: Full breakfast, at the upper end of the template. Generous portions of fat and protein. Ditto for supper... generous with fat & protein, and at least 3 cups veggies. To that supper I might add a dish of blueberries with coconut milk. Then tea. Then brush teeth. But for me... and it took me a looooooong time to learn this & even longer to accept it..... the key is  b r e a k f a s t.  Good luck, catlover! (BTW, how many cats do you have?)

THANK YOU! I know nighttime eating is really an issue for many and just pushing through and developing new habits is the only way to beat it!

I have 3 cats. My mission in life is to be the crazy cat lady and have a houseful, however, the vet bills kill me!

Have a great day everyone! What are you eating today?

m1: eggs, veggies & ghee, m2: leftover stirfry  m3: small baked potato with lots of veggies and I haven't picked my protein yet, but I'll use olive oil on my veggies

The last couple of days have been rough for me. I've had cravings and an overall sluggish feeling. Yesterday, I made myself go to the gym for a body pump class and last night was better! I didn't want to snack all night and I rested well. I'm ready for another day!!! I wish you all luck!

Really enjoying my little trip out of town. Have done pretty well food wise, so far. 

This is what I had yesterday

Breakfast at diner-I ordered veg omelette no home fries or toast. A little difficult asking what fat they used, but they said canola. Obviously, couldn't go in kitchen  to check, so went with it. 

Small lunch/snack from cooler(hard boiled egg, carrots, celery, leftover salad and small apple at diner. 

Dinner -a bit challenging. I decided to stay away from foodie high priced places, because I would have to ask for too many things done differently, so what would be the point? Had my usual go-to eating-out meal-broiled chicken breast with salad. Brought a little bottle of my own salad dressing  

Another day done :-)

A couple of non-scale victories for me -- first, on the spur of the moment last night, went to Texas Roadhouse with my mom, daughter, and a friend.  I was not even tempted AT ALL to eat the rolls they bring prior to even ordering food.  Then I easily ordered sirloin, fresh veggies, and a **GASP** (from the people at my table) a PLAIN sweet potato.  Again, not tempted to order non-compliant foods.  The plain sweet potato was great and now I wonder why I ever needed sugar, cinnamon, and butter on it?  WOOT.  Now that is what I imagine food freedom forever to look like.  :-)

My second non-scale victory is I am wearing a pair of jeans today that I could not button a month ago.  This one is sort of weight loss related (and I came into this whole30 promising that I am NOT fixating on weight loss) but I'm still very happy to wear something and not feel STUFFED into the pants, muffin top hanging way over.  Sure makes a difference in how I feel!

Hope everyone has a great day!  

On 9/9/2016 at 8:53 AM, No more muffins said:

Can peeps share some of their favorite recipes?  I tried to not weigh myself, but failed.  How is everyone doing?

For recipes I've been using ones in the Whole30 book, as well as inspiration from NomNom Paleo and the Whole30Recipes Instagram page. So far the basic chicken with roasted red pepper mayo has been our favourite meal.  

Not to be debbie downer or discourage you but one of the rules (not recommendations-rules) is to not weigh yourself for the 30 days. Are you planning to re-start so you can get the most out of the the Whole30? http://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

You have the strength to get through this and we're all in it together!

Hello- just catching up here with everyone. Day 11 and going strong! 

One reason I havn't been on the forums much is because I've had so much energy and motivation and am not on the computer as much. 

Some good things that have been happening... two times ate out and was prepared and the third time I was not prepared. I stayed Compliant every time!!! I have been continuing with meal planning and that has been a lifesaver. A friend of ours didn't know I was doing Whole30 and gave us a loaf of something he made himself and I really wanted it...like really bad. Plus I felt ungrateful by not eating his gift. Anyway I've stayed strong. These black and white rules really work for me. 

They say days 10-11 are the worst but I've been ok. How is everyone else feeling? 
To date my favourite NSV is that I don't have heartburn after I eat anymore. I also think my clothes are fitting better but can't say for sure yet. I know I FEEL better though! 

24 minutes ago, VivaLaMeredith said:

Hello- just catching up here with everyone. Day 11 and going strong! 

One reason I havn't been on the forums much is because I've had so much energy and motivation and am not on the computer as much. 

Some good things that have been happening... two times ate out and was prepared and the third time I was not prepared. I stayed Compliant every time!!! I have been continuing with meal planning and that has been a lifesaver. A friend of ours didn't know I was doing Whole30 and gave us a loaf of something he made himself and I really wanted it...like really bad. Plus I felt ungrateful by not eating his gift. Anyway I've stayed strong. These black and white rules really work for me. 

They say days 10-11 are the worst but I've been ok. How is everyone else feeling? 
To date my favourite NSV is that I don't have heartburn after I eat anymore. I also think my clothes are fitting better but can't say for sure yet. I know I FEEL better though! 

Viva -- I must have been a bit early arriving to "the worst." Day  8 & 9 were rough! I'm feeling a lot better!!!  I'm glad you are feeling better. Clothes feeling not as snug is a sure sign that things are going well!

Tomorrow begins the first of two "bonus challenges" of my W30. Tomorrow I take an overnight road trip that entails twelve hours of driving. In my SAD days, that meant Dr. Pepper and any kind of gummy candy that I could get my hands on, for entire length of the car trip.  If I was being "good", I'd chew sugary bubble gum and blow big bubbles and crack it obnoxiously (the road trips were alone). 

I am meeting a friend for lunch at the halfway mark tomorrow, and I have that, and the rest of my meals, planned out. 

My main worry is the drive time. I'm taking a new audiobook, so boredom shouldn't be an issue, but snacking has always been a huge part of long drives for me. 

Tips?

On 9/14/2016 at 5:47 AM, Catlover said:

Hello everyone!

Here we are on Day 10! I'm struggling! I thought I was going to skate through this round because the first week was so easy! The last two nights I have had horrible cravings for sweets! Help! Who has some strategies for avoiding nighttime cravings?????

Today's plan: m1: eggs, cucumber, mayo  m2: kale & butternut stew with an avocado, m3: stirfry with shrimp, tons of veggies, coconut aminos, & fried cauli-rice in coconut oil.

Hey Catlover! Sorry you are experiencing cravings. One thing I have found that has really helped me is to stay hydrated. I drink liters and liters of water all day when I'm on the W30. If I don't I find that I am super tired and craving sweets. I think it might be an energy thing? Anyways, that's my advice. Hang in there and good luck!!

On 9/14/2016 at 6:22 PM, Whole_K8 said:

My work life (long hours) and home life (kids, etc) are still completely crazy and stressful but I'm able to deal with it, I feel a lot calmer, more focused and overall have more energy and feel better. So while I initially thought I was insane to do a W30 at this crazy time, I'm so happy I have, I think it's what's enabling me to get through this insanity.

Hi K8 - I think that is such an important point! Even though it seems like doing a W30 is adding stress to our already crazy lives (and yes, sometimes it does feel that way), in the end I think it really REDUCES the stress we feel. For myself, I know that I am so much calmer and patient (especially with my kids) when I am "eating clean". It makes such a difference to my temperament.

4 hours ago, ElizabethGA said:

Tomorrow begins the first of two "bonus challenges" of my W30. Tomorrow I take an overnight road trip that entails twelve hours of driving. In my SAD days, that meant Dr. Pepper and any kind of gummy candy that I could get my hands on, for entire length of the car trip.  If I was being "good", I'd chew sugary bubble gum and blow big bubbles and crack it obnoxiously (the road trips were alone). 

I am meeting a friend for lunch at the halfway mark tomorrow, and I have that, and the rest of my meals, planned out. 

My main worry is the drive time. I'm taking a new audiobook, so boredom shouldn't be an issue, but snacking has always been a huge part of long drives for me. 

Tips?

Sunflower seeds! My favorite go-to for long drives. Most brands are compliant, but read the labels just to be sure. Have a safe drive!

DAY 12 PEEPS....STEADY AS SHE BLOWS

Looking forward to day 15, so I can say half way done.  I think I am starting to feel better.  Improved mood, more energy, more in control of what I put in my body.  This was not a 180 for me, but maybe more like a 90.  

QUESTION:  In looking ahead the week we are done I have an event.  I would really like to have a glass of wine or two.  How do I reintroduce that?  Stay on program and just introduce wine and see how I feel?

8 hours ago, JTCarlson said:

Sunflower seeds! My favorite go-to for long drives. Most brands are compliant, but read the labels just to be sure. Have a safe drive!

This is perfect!!! Many, many years ago when I quit smoking sunflower seeds were my go-to when I needed to do something with all of my nervous energy! I added it to my shopping list and I am going to try it. I'm taking a short trip this weekend too!

1 hour ago, No more muffins said:

QUESTION:  In looking ahead the week we are done I have an event.  I would really like to have a glass of wine or two.  How do I reintroduce that?  Stay on program and just introduce wine and see how I feel?

Yes, that's how I understand reintroduction. And then wait a couple of days (doing Whole30) until you reintroduce anything else.

Archived