Starting Whole 30 on September 5th

Mamagill08

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I borrowed a spiralizer as I've been thinking I'm missing out on something. I spiralized some zucchini and mixed it with a wonderful tomato sauce. It was absolutely gorgeous. But somehow the texture was still pretty crunchy. The recipe called for cooking in the sauce 3 minutes. I did it an additional 15. Still crunchy zoodles. Did I do something wrong or is this just how they come out?

I've cooked my zoodles in a pan by themselves and they seem to soften up.  A lot of liquid comes out of them and simmers them I guess.

We discovered roasted broccoli tonight.  Little Bit can't stand broccoli, so I tried coating it in ghee and put it in the oven until it almost looked burned.  She loved it!

1 hour ago, Mistyfire said:

I borrowed a spiralizer as I've been thinking I'm missing out on something. I spiralized some zucchini and mixed it with a wonderful tomato sauce. It was absolutely gorgeous. But somehow the texture was still pretty crunchy. The recipe called for cooking in the sauce 3 minutes. I did it an additional 15. Still crunchy zoodles. Did I do something wrong or is this just how they come out?

I have had crunchy zoodles too, I tried to cook them in a sauce like you and they didn't really soften. I'm going to try cooking them in a pan first to see if that helps, any others have success?

12 hours ago, RubytheSugarDragonSlayer said:

May also thaw carrot ginger soup (made creamy with coconut milk)

Sounds yummy! The weather has turned chilly and I feel like I'm coming down with something, creamy soup with ginger (and garlic) sounds exactly right! Can you point me to a good recipe?

Haven't really planned out this week, other than buying veg and making a batch of Kalua pork. Tried sauerkraut with it (inspired by one of the daily emails), great combination.

Day 15 today, peeps! Almost halfway done, go us!

17 hours ago, QuilterInVA said:

Lara bars are for emergencies only.

You are absolutely right, which is why I had a couple in the cupboard. Having peple over for dinner, most not doing W30, I provided a delicious and compliant meal. Realized, after preparing the cut up plums and raspberries for dessert, that I might need a little something more. Cutting a couple of Larabars into little pieces was the perfect solution. I also provided wine, but didn't drink it :(

i enjoy serving totally compliant meals to guests.  So many think that Whole30 is about deprivation. I like to show that it's not. 

7 hours ago, WholeMamma said:

I have had crunchy zoodles too, I tried to cook them in a sauce like you and they didn't really soften. I'm going to try cooking them in a pan first to see if that helps, any others have success?

I boiled mine in water and drained them, then mixed in with the meat sauce.

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

I boiled mine in water and drained them, then mixed in with the meat sauce.

I usually put then in a pan with a tiny bit of oil for a bit or even on a sheet in the oven and let them wilt a little. The hot sauce on top softens them up. I do use a julienne hand tool, so maybe the noodles are a little thinner.  

Btw, Half cooked noodles are great in salads. Blanch in boiling water, let them cool (or put in cold water and drain). Nice crunchy salad addition  

11 hours ago, Riya said:

I've cooked my zoodles in a pan by themselves and they seem to soften up.  A lot of liquid comes out of them and simmers them I guess.

We discovered roasted broccoli tonight.  Little Bit can't stand broccoli, so I tried coating it in ghee and put it in the oven until it almost looked burned.  She loved it!

Thanks for all the zoodle tips, will be having them in the near future now!

19 hours ago, MalinHillevi said:

Sounds yummy! The weather has turned chilly and I feel like I'm coming down with something, creamy soup with ginger (and garlic) sounds exactly right! Can you point me to a good recipe?

Here is the Carrot Ginger Soup how to (not so much a recipe, just how I put it together) Takes about half an hour...

• 1 Onion, diced, saute in olive oil or coconut oil
  • about a pound of carrots, peeled, cut into 1 inch bits
  • a clove or two of garlic - minced
  • add the carrots and garlic to the pan with the onions
  • cover with either vegetable or chicken stock, simmer until the carrots are soft
  • puree until smooth - in blender or use an immersion stick blender
  • add either carrot juice or coconut milk, 1-2 cups, until you like the consistency
  • grate in fresh ginger to taste
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • simmer for about 10 minutes to bring flavors together

Enjoy!!!

Attended an event tonight - doubled down on the salad, had the grilled chicken and roasted carrots and green beans, my dessert was a thin slice of roast beef - everyone else in my group hit the sugar table - that was kinda fun!

31 minutes ago, RubytheSugarDragonSlayer said:

Here is the Carrot Ginger Soup how to (not so much a recipe, just how I put it together) Takes about half an hour...

• cover with either vegetable or chicken stock, simmer until the carrots are soft
  • add either carrot juice or coconut milk, 1-2 cups, until you like the consistency

Enjoy!!!

Attended an event tonight - doubled down on the salad, had the grilled chicken and roasted carrots and green beans, my dessert was a thin slice of roast beef - everyone else in my group hit the sugar table - that was kinda fun!

Nice work! Events are hard that's for sure. Isn't it empowering when you resist something that everyone else gives into? I always like to think I can have whatever I want, I just choose NOT to, puts all the power back in your hands.  Congrats on navigating through your event!

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎18 at 11:46 PM, Mistyfire said:

I just toss them on a plate & nuke 'em in the microwave. Pretty lazy. But easy.

8 hours ago, RubytheSugarDragonSlayer said:

Thanks, Ruby, I will try this for sure!

8 hours ago, RubytheSugarDragonSlayer said:

Enjoy!!!

Looks delicious. Will definitely try this.

Hello everyone!

We are over our 1/2 way mark! I've preordered my book and can't wait for it to arrive! :) I've been re-reading parts of "It Starts with Food."

I'm sure this has been talked about before when the subject of how expensive it can be to buy organic whole foods. I have to admit I've been shocked at the cash register of the grocery store more than once! I really wanted to buy a red pepper for my taco salad this week, they were $2 each, so I grabbed one and then I thought, it would be good to munch on with some salsa while I'm cooking dinner. I do that sometimes if I come home and I'm really hungry and I don't want to eat what I'm cooking for dinner while I'm cooking. I almost didn't buy the 2nd pepper, and this light popped on, "how many times have I paid $2 for a soda and a junky snack from the vending machine at work?"

Here is my plan for today:

m1: eggs, cucumber, avocado

m2: tuna w/ dill and mayo wrapped in lettuce leaves, kraut & pickles

m3: taco salad with lots of veggies, taco meat, avocado, black olives & salsa

What are you eating today? I need some new ideas!

9 hours ago, Catlover said:

I'm sure this has been talked about before when the subject of how expensive it can be to buy organic whole foods. I have to admit I've been shocked at the cash register of the grocery store more than once! I really wanted to buy a red pepper for my taco salad this week, they were $2 each, so I grabbed one and then I thought, it would be good to munch on with some salsa while I'm cooking dinner. I do that sometimes if I come home and I'm really hungry and I don't want to eat what I'm cooking for dinner while I'm cooking. I almost didn't buy the 2nd pepper, and this light popped on, "how many times have I paid $2 for a soda and a junky snack from the vending machine at work?"

My thoughts on how much this costs. Sadly, good food is often more expensive than garbage, but, as you thought it through SO worth it!

A few ways of saving money:

1. planning around the "specials" in your supermarket weekly flyer.  Once you see what's on sale, start looking for things to make. Also a good time to buy pantry staples. When the good tuna, canned tomatoes and salmon are on sale, I stock up. 

2. Sometimes, buy local rather than organic. Especially this time of year. Local produce is plentiful and not too expensive.

3. Yes, grass fed beef and free running poultry are great, but if they are too expensive ( sometimes, the prices are insane, especially if you are feeding a family), get the best you can. 

4. Try different things. Earlier this year, cauliflowers were $7-$8 in Toronto. People were going nuts. But there were all sorts of other veggies that were cheaper-cabbages, collards etc. Different squashes. Just a question of figuring out how to cook things. 

5. My supermarket has section where they sell off veggies and fruit that are getting past their prime. I usually check what is there, a lot of it fine. This weekend I bought 8 assorted peppers for $1.99 (cooked peppers on BBQ and have them in oil) apples ( stewed and in the freezer) and mushrooms (chopped up and sautéed for Sunday brunch).  

My 2 cents worth!

DAY 16!  I will be honest, I have wanted to cave.  I am sick of food in general.  I am sick of cooking, prepping, preparing, shopping, cleaning up...and even eating.  I have been 99 compliant and have had some difficult situations.  Its  hard to cook meals for others and not nibble and watch people drink delicious beer on these hot nights.  I felt kind of depressed today, not sure why...I did work out yesterday for the first time in months.  So even though I'm not feeling it I am doing right.  Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.  :(

1 hour ago, No more muffins said:

DAY 16!  I will be honest, I have wanted to cave.  I am sick of food in general.  I am sick of cooking, prepping, preparing, shopping, cleaning up...and even eating.  I have been 99 compliant and have had some difficult situations.  Its  hard to cook meals for others and not nibble and watch people drink delicious beer on these hot nights.  I felt kind of depressed today, not sure why...I did work out yesterday for the first time in months.  So even though I'm not feeling it I am doing right.  Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.  :(

Hang in there! I was feeling really rough for a few days. I pulled through and still cannot figure out what hit me!

2 hours ago, No more muffins said:

Sometimes just doing the right thing is as good as it gets.  Our resistant minds lag behind but for sure there is a point where we catch up with ourselves. Keep walkin' the walk and let it all come together. You'll be so proud!

2 hours ago, No more muffins said:

Today was so tough for me too. I've been so good at not being tempted by foods. But today at lunch there was literally a table of baguettes and spreads. It was really difficult, but I turned my back and ate my salad :)

Day 17!  I keep thinking only "2 more weekends"!  I'm finally in a good routine of meal planning with a pantry stocked with items that can turn into a meal pretty quickly (canned salmon, compliant marinara,etc).  I work from home and don't have the temptations of a break room full of treats, which makes it easier, but my social life is sad right now. My husband is not doing this with me, but he is enjoying our dinners and not complaining!  

Hang in there everyone!

Day 17 and delighted to hear I'm not the only one who is feeling the weight of it all! Today we had Royalty visiting ( Duchess of Gloucester )so the Buffett was most impressive. The macaroons screamed my name: the prawn salad, in Mayo of course, wept as I passed it by. I decide to come home rather than be tempted and bought with me two chicken drumsticks to have with my salad. I do feel very virtuous and rather shocked at my actions.....almost as good as last evening when I tested if hubbies pasta was cooked, bit into it and spat it in the bin!

for some reason I thought I was on day 12 and actually counted the days on my calendar. Only 13 days to go...amazed how fast it has gone!

Carpe Diem....

Archived