Starting Whole 30 on September 5th

Mamagill08

Day 21 and I'm finally managing to do some proper food prep for the week ahead! Better late than never...

I have made a double batch of lemon pepper chicken (from jtcarlsson) and now I have rubythesugardragonslayer's carrot soup boiling away in the resulting stock . And I've roasted a batch of veg. Everything will be packed up for the week's meals. Go me :)

I'm seriously in love with my slow cooker btw. Made a great Indian stew yesterday, just threw in chopped onions, cubed meat, garlic, ginger and lots of tandoori masala and turned it on. So Good!

Oh, and the best discovery of the week: aioli mixed with avocado! Yum!

Hope everyone's hanging in there!

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, FranE said:

Not a great couple of days. Everything compliant, but too much unnecessary snacking.  This really is my big challenge. Snacking into the evening undoes a lot of the good stuff and, I think, affects my sleep.  

Not sure if this will work for you, but it sure does work for me...... BIG M1 + starchy vegs & ghee as part of M3. When I do that (& I freely confess that I am not always that disciplined) the urge to snack in the evening is, if not always 100% gone, at least easily ignored. Good luck on finding what works for you.

12 hours ago, FranE said:

Not a great couple of days. Everything compliant, but too much unnecessary snacking.  This really is my big challenge. Snacking into the evening undoes a lot of the good stuff and, I think, affects my sleep.  

Not sure if this will work for you, but it sure does work for me...... BIG M1 + starchy vegs & ghee as part of M3. When I do that (& I freely confess that I am not always that disciplined) the urge to snack in the evening is, if not always 100% gone, at least easily ignored. Good luck on finding what works for you.

PS. Hope this double posting thing can soon be fixed....

38 minutes ago, Seafarer said:

I use a similar strategy and it makes all the difference in the world for me.  Potato with ghee, carrots with ghee, squash with ghee, beets with ghee...you get the idea. 

Or duck fat.  Right now we're all about the duck fat and it's so worth it.

Got a ton of prep done today.  Of course I didn't do all that I wanted.  And I managed to gouge my finger while closing my van so that knocked an hour out.  (started thinking I was going to have to go to urgent care, it wouldn't stop)  And it's where I type the s, x, & w key.  Owie!!!!!  Needless to say I was wearing a rubber glove all day.

10 hours ago, MalinHillevi said:

Day 21 and I'm finally managing to do some proper food prep for the week ahead! Better late than never...

I have made a double batch of lemon pepper chicken (from jtcarlsson) and now I have rubythesugardragonslayer's carrot soup boiling away in the resulting stock . And I've roasted a batch of veg. Everything will be packed up for the week's meals. Go me :)

I'm seriously in love with my slow cooker btw. Made a great Indian stew yesterday, just threw in chopped onions, cubed meat, garlic, ginger and lots of tandoori masala and turned it on. So Good!

Oh, and the best discovery of the week: aioli mixed with avocado! Yum!

Hope everyone's hanging in there!

I"m dying to hear how you like the soup! Enjoy! What a great job prepping today - you are going to have a fantastic week!

Did 5 hours of yard work today - trimmed a lilac bush, 2 curly willow trees, trimmed 3 sand cherry shrubs and 2 gold threads, cleared all the dead stuff from the day lily bed and a bunch of other stuff. Hubby planted 3 azelas and a squad of stone crop and sedum. Thankfully our son pitched in too. My Moto watch said I had 75 minutes in the target heart zone today - that was HUGE!!! Drank almost 2 quarts of iced tea in the process. Gonna sleep like a rock tonight!

Home stretch everyone!

12 hours ago, Seafarer said:

PS. Hope this double posting thing can soon be fixed....

Thanks (and mistyfire and Riya). Adding the fat and a big M1 would be a good strategy.  I think I'm also going to have a couple of days when I keep my fruit intake as part of m1 and m2. I think having fruit after dinner may kick off some of the night eating.

I'm also going to read the book on changing habits. 

Hello and Happy Monday!

I feel very prepared going into this week. I have my favorite Kale & butternut stew, a crockpot of chicken breasts, I grilled tons of veggies and chicken last night. I also made breakfast patties with ground sausage, herbs, mushrooms & carrots. I had eggs every day last week fro breakfast and I love them, but I'm always afraid of getting sick of them or not liking them anymore! If you haven't tried the chimchurri sauce from the Whole 30 cook book give it a go! I made it to go with my grilled chicken and veggies last night! Delicious!

Have a great day! :)

I had an omelette slathered with some leftover mayo/horseradish sauce. Feel like I have a new lease on life with a fresh flavor!  Weather is cooler so I made a pot roast - my first ever in my Instant Pot and it was totally amazing. That kale and butternut stew sounds very intriguing. I need to find a way to put more greens in world. 

Day 22- Got a bit dehydrated over the weekend while travelling. It really made me feel yecky all over. 
I feel very accomplished (NSV) as I just spent the weekend at something called the Common Ground Fair in Maine. I was surrounded by well prepared, organic, flavourful food all weekend. There were no slips, cheats or excuses!!
And to think I was originally going to give myself a free pass for this weekend. (before i actually read the books)

31 minutes ago, VivaLaMeredith said:

Day 22- Got a bit dehydrated over the weekend while travelling. It really made me feel yecky all over. 
I feel very accomplished (NSV) as I just spent the weekend at something called the Common Ground Fair in Maine. I was surrounded by well prepared, organic, flavourful food all weekend. There were no slips, cheats or excuses!!
And to think I was originally going to give myself a free pass for this weekend. (before i actually read the books)

Way to go!!

That was weird... could not get the previous "Quote" deleted.... Ignore my previous post.

Hey... I am doing well.  Belt tighter, food on plan and staying the course.   Just checking in but I am feeling good, doing well and have lots of obstacles this week (travel, offsite meeting, family events, X-Fit challenge) but I am very zen with it.  I am in control and not worried in the slightest.  Cooked a whole bunch of protein last night and prepping side veggies for the week tonight.  

Keep strong my W30 friends!!!

Cheers

DJ

10 hours ago, JamieMathis said:

@Catlover could you post your recipe for the kale and butternut stew?  Sounds good!

Do you have the Whole 30 book? It is on page 344 "Roasted Pork Shoulder with butternut squash, kale & tomatoes"

I make mine with chicken because I often eat it cold for breakfast or lunch and I can handle cold chicken, I don't like cold pork!

If you don't have the book, I will type the recipe in for you!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Catlover said:

That recipe is here, I think. 

Just for future reference, please don't copy a recipe out of a book, even the Whole30 book, and post it here in the public forum -- it's copyright infringement and if any of the mods notice it, we'll delete it. If you can find it online (I found that one by googling the title of the recipe + Whole30), post the link to share it. If you can't find it anywhere online, and you don't have permission from the author to share it publicly, don't post it here.

Ack, dinner with my work tonight and I have no idea where we're going, so no chance of checking the menu beforehand o_O I do hope they have some compliant options, I don't want to start over now! I did have a decent breakfast and I've packed a big lunch so I'm sure I'll survive without much food, but still... Maybe I'll go get some emergency nuts, forgot to pack a (homemade) larabar.  

I found a larabar recipe online that's basically 1/3 volume dates, 1/3 other dried fruit (I used apricots), 1/3 nuts (macadamias, the only nut I'm not allergic to) They turned out great but sticky so they need to live in the fridge, not in my bag. Less fruit compared to nuts the next time I think. Or less sticky fruit.

One week left! Go us!

In other news, I have been drinking my coffee black during this W30 - and drinking less of it - yay!  I'm finding that it was really the sugar that was an issue in my coffee, so I've tried some alternative creamers, I liked unsweetened "better half" by Califia Farms - found it at Whole Foods. And then I read about nutpods, so I ordered it on Amazon. Tasted pretty good - again used so much less creamer than I would have with my old cream + sugared coffee,

But I had a bad allergic reaction - looks like it may be the acacia gum as all of the other ingredients are in better half (better half uses locust bean gum and gellan gum). I do have pretty severe tree allergies. Has anyone else ever had an allergic reaction to nutpods or acacia gum?

20 hours ago, djoyce said:
On 9/15/2016 at 7:46 AM, JamieMathis said:

I do have the book -- I'll check it out.  I didn't realize it was in there.  :-)  Also, I never meant for anyone to copy another's work (copyright infringement) -- I thought i was the person's personally developed recipe.  Thanks!

14 hours ago, Catlover said:

Do you have the Whole 30 book? It is on page 344 "Roasted Pork Shoulder with butternut squash, kale & tomatoes"

I make mine with chicken because I often eat it cold for breakfast or lunch and I can handle cold chicken, I don't like cold pork!

5 hours ago, JamieMathis said:

Lol! I don't think any of us would do that intentionally!  I'm glad you have the recipe -- that's the whole point!! The stew is one of my favorites because as I mentioned before, I like the taste of it cold. I quit using a microwave years ago, so this is a good fit for me! I also love that it has kale because that is one of the foods I try to add in because of  my bone density health. 

16 hours ago, MalinHillevi said:

Ack, dinner with my work tonight and I have no idea where we're going, so no chance of checking the menu beforehand o_O I do hope they have some compliant options, I don't want to start over now! I did have a decent breakfast and I've packed a big lunch so I'm sure I'll survive without much food, but still... Maybe I'll go get some emergency nuts, forgot to pack a (homemade) larabar.  

I found a larabar recipe online that's basically 1/3 volume dates, 1/3 other dried fruit (I used apricots), 1/3 nuts (macadamias, the only nut I'm not allergic to) They turned out great but sticky so they need to live in the fridge, not in my bag. Less fruit compared to nuts the next time I think. Or less sticky fruit.

I was thinking of you today as I had both breakfast and lunch work events. I made it through breakfast by eating first and just having coffee. No one cared. To get through the lunch meeting, I made the ranch dressing from the W30 and had a honking big salad. I had my protein afterwards. Phew. Relieved to get through it all. Interesting that no one seems to notice or care that I was doing my own thing. Hope you made out okay. 

Archived