Starting Whole 30 on September 5th

Mamagill08

13 hours ago, 50andstillhere said:

Is anyone else feeling like they will be missing out on wine and cheese by starting tomorrow instead of September 6.   Since this is last day of Labor Day weekend?? Just curious and feeling a little weak. 

I hear you sister! Wine and cheese are two of my favorite things. However, although I totally did not plan this, I ended up imbibing a wee bit too much wine when we had friends over for dinner last night, and today has been miserable. So I am ready to say goodbye to wine for while.....the cheese might be a bit harder, but we can do it! We can do anything for 30 days, right??

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone.  I'm starting tomorrow (or I guess in an hour) too!  So glad to see so many people :).

This will be my 2nd Whole 30.  I did it last year with my daughters (now 25 & 11) and we all made it.  Held to the principle's of it for awhile after and was feeling pretty good.  Then a major work stress hit and I rode my bike straight off the cliff.  Regained everything I lost and then some.  Brain fog back with a vengeance, and I'm done with it. 

Did some prepping today, enough to get the day started, then finishing it tomorrow.  About to put on Nom Nom Paleo's Kalua pig so it will be ready for dinner tomorrow.  Both of my daughters are doing it with me again, and surprisingly, my husband jumped on board as well.  Blew my mind.  He said he's tired of feeling like crap, and he really wants to support me, so here we go!

Hi everyone, starting the 5th with everyone else! This is my third whole30 with some whole15's and whole20's in there each trimester, now have an almost 6 month old. Excited to join you all, absolutely love this plan and if you follow it you will see and feel the wonderful results!! 

3 hours ago, Riya said:

About to put on Nom Nom Paleo's Kalua pig so it will be ready for dinner tomorrow.  

I just put that on an hour ago (it's morning here)! Have you made it before? I'm a bit concerned about the no liquid part of the recipe... I used ordinary sea salt, no fancy Hawaiian salt in this neck of the woods.

12 hours ago, elize said:

6 days of meal planning and shopping done in preparation for Day 1 tomorrow. I've got a beef broth in the slow cooker which I will use in many of my recipes this week. But nervous about losing weight as I really cannot afford to lose weight. Anyone else in the same boat or is everyone hoping to lose weight on the whole 30?

Hey elize - you might want to have a read at >this article< if you're looking to maintain weight - hope this helps!

1 hour ago, MalinHillevi said:

I just put that on an hour ago (it's morning here)! Have you made it before? I'm a bit concerned about the no liquid part of the recipe... I used ordinary sea salt, no fancy Hawaiian salt in this neck of the woods.

Fear not - the fat in the pork joint & the bacon will provide all the liquid you need & I generally just use pink himalayan salt with a bit of paprika thrown in for good measure - I've made it MANY times! :wub:

Best of luck for day one everyone....!!!

September 5th is here! I'm starting my first whole 30 and I have both books read, prepped some food, and I'm excited to begin this journey.  I feel that committing to this program will help me make important nutritional changes.  And I hope to lose some weight!

Hi everyone!  2nd W30 for me and my husband, we are so excited to be back on plan.  We did our first one earlier this summer, and the change in me was positively shocking -- energy through the roof, got rid of aches and pains that I thought were just part of getting older, digestive problems went away...  plus my moods were almost euphoric, and I went down a clothing size to boot.  Over the past 2 weeks we've been eating junk, and my body has done a complete 180 -- stiff when I wake up, exhausted, depressed.  If that isn't a clear sign that W30 is necessary for me, I don't know what is! :D

Looking forward to getting to know you all!  Go team, go!

7 hours ago, MalinHillevi said:

As jmcbn said, no worries about no liquid.  This is the first time I've tried this recipe, but I do pulled pork in the crock pot fairly regularly.  Right now at 10 hours, it's halfway submersed.  And smells so good.  I didn't have the Hawaiian salt, but I found a smoky one to try. 

48 minutes ago, MidModJenn said:

Hi everyone!  2nd W30 for me and my husband, we are so excited to be back on plan.  We did our first one earlier this summer, and the change in me was positively shocking -- energy through the roof, got rid of aches and pains that I thought were just part of getting older, digestive problems went away...  plus my moods were almost euphoric, and I went down a clothing size to boot.  Over the past 2 weeks we've been eating junk, and my body has done a complete 180 -- stiff when I wake up, exhausted, depressed.  If that isn't a clear sign that W30 is necessary for me, I don't know what is! :D

Looking forward to getting to know you all!  Go team, go!

Good for you for figuring it out quick and getting a handle on it so fast!!!

I managed to sleep in this morning.  That was good, as I got up with just enough energy to do some yoga.  I've been so wiped out the past few months, that even thinking about doing that was too much.  But when I do it, it helps the energy levels.  Hoping this gets me off on the right foot. 

Now to go play short order cook.  Roasting some sweet potato's for hubby and me, and going to try to make some cauli-rice for my youngest.  Although, it chopped down to more of a cauli-couscous.  Not sure how that happened.  About the only way she'll eat eggs is over rice, with soy sauce or ponzu.  So trying this with coconut amino's for her, and I'll taste it to see if I like it.  LOL.  Scrambled eggs for us and some sausage I made for all of us.

On September 3, 2016 at 3:27 AM, Murcian said:

I'd be interested to hear how you swop out American based products for what we can find in our supermarkets? 

I'm not in the UK but in Canada. I can't buy any of the Whole30 approved products here. :(
What has helped me is to go grocery shopping by myself with no time limit. I think visiting organic food stores and local markets, or bulk food stores would also be a good place to start. 
Thankfully we don't NEED fancy products to do this...just real food! You can do this @Murcian ! 

On September 4, 2016 at 10:38 AM, Mistyfire said:

I've never  seemed to lose that school feeling of it being the beginning of the year. I love that farmers markets are still active but it's getting cool and enough to actually begin thinking of cooking again. 

Same here! September is what I like to think of as MY new year! Full of possibility!

1 hour ago, 50andstillhere said:

FYI Costco is closed on Labor Day .  I have food compliant food for today . So I am drinking my coffee with the coconut milk. Pretty tasty. 

Everything is closed today here too. I made coconut cream yesterday for a recipe and took a spoonful of it and blended it with my coffee for a frothy delicious coffee today. I also have cashew milk for coffee at work tomorrow. 

Sounds like you're doing well so far!

Hello everyone,

My name is Kim and I'm also starting Whole30 on 9/5/2016. I'm nervous and excited. A brief intro: I'm 45 years old, I work full-time hours and then some Monday through Friday as an RN in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at one of the largest Children's hospitals in the Southeast. I just moved from Atlanta to the suburbs and now have an hour and a half commute every morning and evening. Needless to say, my stress levels at this particular time in my life are off the charts. 

I live with my boyfriend and two canine children. I'm severely overweight and have the stereotypical list of health problems R/T the SAD (pre-diabetic, hypertension, arthritis, joint pain etc). I'm about halfway through the Melissa's book, Whole30. I've tried several similar programs before without success. I'm really looking forward to doing Whole30 because it comes with such amazing support and guidance. I'm hoping to achieve food freedom and stop being a slave to cravings and my sugar demon (yes, that is not a typo, mine has morphed into a demon who haunts my every waking minute). 

I wish everyone the best of luck. I'm so excited to meet new friends and embark on this journey together :)

Kimbiv - you have made a wonderful and empowering decision! I did my first W30 last year, still use a few of the practices, but have fallen back into bad habits. This forum was the thing that kept me on track last time. Share your struggles, your wins, ask questions...we are in this together, and WE CAN DO THIS!!!

Hello, everyone! I'm Eric, and my husband, Cameron, and I are starting our second Whole30 today (September 5) and are excited to be a part of this journey. We did our first Whole30 in June of this year and then a very Slow Roll Reintroduction in July and August with many compliant days between few reintroduction days, and we have had tremendous benefits from the experience.

In terms of major Non Scale Victories, my husband started sleeping properly after battling insomnia for years and had no migraines during the month of June (his first after starting the W30 actually occurred in July, on a reintroduction day). I stopped having excessive joint pain and was able to cut back from 16 Ibuprofen throughout the day to just two each morning. We both have more energy and really enjoy the foods we eat and have tried some lovely recipes from the Whole30 and Well Fed offerings. We got the Diet Coke monkey off our backs, and I stopped consuming any caffeine at all two weeks into the W30. I grew to love vegetables, which I had formerly detested, and started to enjoy all the different varieties of flavor, color, and texture they brought to my diet. I actually learned to make my own amazing mayonnaise using Melissa Joulwan's recipe!

Even though we remain focused on NSVs, and even though weight loss is incidental to all of the other benefits of the Whole30, I need to mention that Cameron and I both lost a significant amount of weight during our first Whole 30, and I have continued to lose during each of the two months of my very Slow Roll Reintroduction, without any reduction in portions or feeling of deprivation. It is also interesting to note that my loss of inches around the thickest part of my waist increased each month (0" lost in June, 1" lost in July, 2" lost in August) even as my pounds lost in each month slowed. The NSVs are amazing, and the SVs can be pretty great, too!

This past weekend, we allowed ourselves to go off plan a lot more (specifically, eating a fair amount of dairy, gluten grains, and sugar) and we could definitely feel the difference, physically and emotionally, just after those few days. We are eager to get our Tiger Blood back and looking forward to the next 30 days with everyone!

I too am starting today Sept. 5th! I'm very excited and nervous hoping my cravings won't get the better of me. I'm new to this program and I really hope I can reduce some of my arthritis and gain some energy. I've already had the breakfast and lunch...so far so good! I don't feel hungry or deprived. Let's see how the next 29 days go! :) 

2 hours ago, VivaLaMeredith said:

I'm not in the UK but in Canada. I can't buy any of the Whole30 approved products here. :(
What has helped me is to go grocery shopping by myself with no time limit. I think visiting organic food stores and local markets, or bulk food stores would also be a good place to start. 
Thankfully we don't NEED fancy products to do this...just real food! You can do this @Murcian ! 

I also like in Canada, but Toronto. I can get some W30 approved products, but mostly I do my own label vetting. Was thrilled to find a complain smoked salmon! In a way, it is easier not having too much prepared stuff available. Making the salad dressings, mayo, etc. is good way to to get to change your relationship to food. Keeping it all fairly simple (most of the time) @murcian. 

Day one of my third Whole30. My first Whole30 in 2014 changed everything for me. From being a vegetarian most of my adult life, I started to eat meat and fish. I feel better than I had felt for many years. I've mostly stuck to a paleo lifestyle, with an occasional drink and paleo "treats". A few croissants over the summer! Looking forward to getting back to basics with this Whole30.

Goals - cut down on snacking (mostly mindless eating, not because I'm hungry), replace some of my fruit consumption with veggies, make sure I have a compliant snack after my workouts (other than larabars).

Day one going well so far. Fridge is full of prepped food.

10 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Fear not - the fat in the pork joint & the bacon will provide all the liquid you need & I generally just use pink himalayan salt with a bit of paprika thrown in for good measure - I've made it MANY times! :wub:

Thanks for the reassurance, the meat turned out beautifully and everyone loved it!

Just under 3 kg meat took 9 hours in my slow cooker. I turned it over after 6 hours to submerge the top parts. We ate it with roasted veggies and aioli, and I packed some for lunch tomorrow, yum! The liquid was really tasty so I'm saving it for soup another day.

5 hours ago, Riya said:

As jmcbn said, no worries about no liquid.  This is the first time I've tried this recipe, but I do pulled pork in the crock pot fairly regularly.  Right now at 10 hours, it's halfway submersed.  And smells so good.  I didn't have the Hawaiian salt, but I found a smoky one to try. 

I just got a slow cooker so I haven't tried many recipes yet. This one turned out really great, will definitely make it again!

Archived