Starting Whole 30 on September 5th

Mamagill08

1 minute ago, MalinHillevi said:

I just got a slow cooker so I haven't tried many recipes yet. This one turned out really great, will definitely make it again!

I'm so glad to hear this!  I've got less than an hour left, and I'm hungry.  Half tempted to pull it now :)

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also starting Whole 30 for the first time today. Super excited! I'm hoping to better understand some chronic stomach issues I've had for almost 15 years, and to reset my energy levels. I'm a little nervous about the time it will take for all the food prep, and how I'll manage around a busy work schedule and moving into a new house next week. But I'm ready for the challenge! I know it will be worth it. 

I'm starting a new W30 today, as well. I did one in Jan and had great results, and have eaten W30 compliant for any where from 7-21 days here and there since, but between a week in London (I live in GA) and a month of various friends in from out of town recently, I definitely need the reset. I have @ 100 pounds to lose, and would love to get back to the awesome sleep and disappearing inches of January. I have a son, and since I cook dinner, he eats W30 dinners. He makes his own breakfast and eats lunch at school, so he's not W30 most of the time. 

Since doing the Jan W30, I have been label-obsessed, and have been making more foods from scratch (homemade mayo is wonderful). We just signed up for a meat CSA, and I'll be getting our first batch of meat this week. 

I have a travel weekend coming up at the end of the month, so I'm eyeing that with some trepidation, but I should be feeling great, so I am counting on that to help me. Well, that and a cooler of compliant food. ;)

Day 1 & I'm in. My third go-round. The first was in 2012, the second was last year. Both previous rounds have been in August, which is when my veg garden is in full-on production. My first W30 taught me that this way of eating is really good for me. My second W30 taught me that this way of eating is necessary for my joints, my mood, my sleep patterns. It also taught me.... are you ready?.... I don't mind being That Person at restaurants & I don't mind taking my own mayo, ghee, and dressings everywhere I go. I really like black coffee. I often crave vegetables. Wine sucks. (I still like the ritual; I still like the flavour; what I don't like is the poor sleep that follows.) I really can sleep like a baby. Tiger Blood is real (it took more than 30 days for me, but it's a real thing, and it's amazing).  I do better with forum support. I have a bad relationship with my scale so we broke up. My doctor took me off my blood pressure meds. A strict re-intro schedule works best for me. I can be almost bullet proof to stress. I can survive anything as long as there are leftovers in the fridge. I could go on... :-)

For this, my W30.3, I want to learn my reaction to some specific foods within the broad food categories (I know how I react to dairy, but what about good quality yogurt? Would homemade yogurt be any different?). I want to broaden my list of Go-To foods/recipes. I want to become cheerfully immune to my husband's food & snacking choices. I want my stamina back. 

Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Day 1 for me, too.  I'm from California but living in the UK so this will be my first whole30 in the UK.  I completed two whole30s successfully in 2013 and 2014 but have fallen back into some very unhealthy eating habits.  I've been living predominantly paleo since then, as the whole30s showed me that my fibromyalgia pain disappears when I am on a paleo diet.  I don't really do the reintroduction phase anymore, as reintroduction as shown me that dairy in particular causes bone pain flare-ups.  I've been terrible about exercise but vow to get back into the habit of daily exercise during this whole30.

D1M1 - tuna salad, raw bell pepper sticks.

D1M2 - leftover tuna salad, remaining bell pepper.

D1M3 - white fish with lemon, steamed in my instant pot; steamed broccoli.

Starting my first W30 today.  Been reading through the posts here and it's really helpful! I am obese and have tried everything - south beach, paleo, other elimination diets.  I'm excited to really figure out what is healthy for my body.  It's sad that doctors are so useless when it comes to nutritional health, but I'm hopeful W30 will help me lose weight and get my energy back.  Thanks for the support and sending strength to all the other September Whole 30-ers.

Hi my name is Jessica and I started Whole30 today. I succeeded so far, I just feel fatigued from not having any coffee today. I normally have 2-3 cups of coffee with milk and stevia in the morning.  I was looking into coconut milk to put in my coffee. Besides that I prepared food all day yesterday and have fruits and veggies ready to go in the refrigerator. Only complaint is just tired. 

Hi all!  I started today (Sept 5th) as well.  I've tried an elimination diet before - but not with the support of a group.  I'm hoping that this forum and the daily emails from Whole30 will help me feel less isolated.  It really is challenging to do this on your own.  I know I feel better without grains, dairy, sugar, most raw veggies, most fruit, nightshades and FODMAPs - but it's hard to live in the real world without those foods forever (I wish it was only Whole30 for me!!!).  I'm hoping to return to health in a few months and to learn how to indulge once in a while without that darn Sugar Dragon swooping in to ruin everything I worked so hard for!  I've  learned so much from all the resources - the books, "It Starts With Food" & "Whole30", this website and all the links to recipes and other helpful websites.   Every tip gives me hope that it doesn't have to be the "all or nothing" mentality I've had before!  I hope the new book will have even more help in having "Food Freedom Forever"!  I'm looking forward to sharing this journey with you all.  Wishing us all health and wellness!  

WOW! What a huge group of Sept. 5 starters!! This is so awesome and I encourage you guys to post regularly so we get to know each other -- don't lurk, say hi!!

I'm Kelli. This is my 3rd W30 this year -- last round was in June and I recognize a few of you from our incredible and fun Junebugs group (hello JTCarlson and SherriC)!! 

Day 1 is done. How was it?  Get ready for some life changes -- mentally and physically.  Read your labels (sooo important!!!), ask questions, post recipes, learn to enjoy the prep work and eat good food!!  The moderators on here will keep us in line so listen to their guidance and advice.  

Looking forward to getting to you know these next 29 days.

See you guys tomorrow!!

Kelli

OH, for those of you that are coffee drinkers used to cream/sugar, etc.  TRY THIS

Put 2 tablespoons of coconut oil or ghee in your coffee, add unsweetened vanilla almond milk (califa farms is the complaint brand), a dash of cinnamon....and blend in a blender. Its as close to a latte as you can get....DELICIOUS !!

25 minutes ago, samnkelli said:

OH, for those of you that are coffee drinkers used to cream/sugar, etc.  TRY THIS

Put 2 tablespoons of coconut oil or ghee in your coffee, add unsweetened vanilla almond milk (califa farms is the complaint brand), a dash of cinnamon....and blend in a blender. Its as close to a latte as you can get....DELICIOUS !!

I need to do that over ice.  I've gotten to where if I go to Starbucks, it's just an iced latte with coconut milk, but this would be so much better at home :).  That and I doubt their coconut milk is compliant.

Day 1 went well.  Everyone slept in so late that we ended up with a huge brunch and dinner.  My 11 y/o said she was hungry about an hour before dinner, then announced she was getting something Whole30 compliant.  Good girl!  She opened the fridge and said "well, that's easy.  You cleaned out the fridge!"  LOL

Lunch for her and DH are prepped for tomorrow.  I'm off work and have plenty of leftovers for me so that's good.  And I did sign up for the daily emails again.  I think they helped a lot last time for no other reason than I did not want to have to click "let's start my Whole 30 over"!

Hermine interfered with get together plans today so I had some extra time to do some prepping/cooking. Made the BBQ sauce from Well Fed2 for the ribs I never got to cook today - great dinner tomorrow!  It was a bit cooler today so I made a quick, creamy tomato soup from a Nom Nom Paleo recipe I found online. Typically I just cook on the weekend so now I'm set until next weekend. 

Hi All! So day 1 was really hard for me, which kind of surprised me because this isn't my first rodeo and last time I didn't hit the wall (or want to KILL ALL THE THINGS) until day 3 or 4. I'm pretty sure it was because I was not prepared. I had meant to get some food ready, meals made, etc, prior to today, but it just didn't happen, so I ended spending all day today in the kitchen making food and being angry. Not good. On the bright side, I now have a bunch of compliant meals ready so hopefully tomorrow will be better. But I still feel a little ragey. Anyone else? Just me? Bueller?

4 hours ago, Riya said:

I need to do that over ice.  I've gotten to where if I go to Starbucks, it's just an iced latte with coconut milk, but this would be so much better at home :).  That and I doubt their coconut milk is compliant.

Yeah, their coconut milk is definitely not compliant - it contains cane sugar, carageenan, & corn dextrin - just in case you're (or anyone else!) is tempted...!!

:blink:

The cream in coffee challenge was my biggest fear during my first W30. I found a recipe for a "creamer" with coconut milk, oil and an egg. Knowing I could have this, even if it is swypo, gave me the the confidence to do the rest of the program right! I gradually started drinking more of my coffee black and saving the creamer as a treat. I'm drinking less coffee now, which is probably a good thing.

I sometimes have a spoonful of ghee or coconut oil with my morning tea or coffee, but I use it as a pre workout snack (when there's not enough time for a real snack).

@riya @samnkelli @jmcbn

Day 2. Back to work. Having a little snack before my morning workout. Will have my breakfast afterwards. Have my lunch packed.  

Taking a few cans of tuna, salmon and sardines to work for emergencies and quick lunches on too busy days. 

Have a good day 2!

Happy Day 2!  Really glad I took today off.  Have a few things I need to take care of that I blew off this weekend (like mowing, yuck!).  About to get hubby and little bit out of bed, feed them, and get them out the door.  Tummy isn't very happy today, but that's one of the reasons I'm doing this.  If this W30 tracks like last time, I figure that will settle down in a few days. 

5 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Yeah, their coconut milk is definitely not compliant - it contains cane sugar, carageenan, & corn dextrin - just in case you're (or anyone else!) is tempted...!!

:blink:

Figures.  Drives me nuts that they seem to try to do it right, but end up going with crap anyway.

Starting day 2.  Yesterday was good! I so enjoy seeing everyone's posts thanks for sharing!  I also am loving the daily email I subscribed to from W30.  I'm having an egg scramble with spinach and avocado.  Packed my lunch with stuffed peppers I made yesterday. The recipe is from W30 book. Dinner will be fish with stir fry.

Love the coffee and ghee idea!  I weaned myself off creamer last month and I'm drinking black now.  I think the key is to find a really good coffee and grind your own beans every morning.

Hey all... Well I ended up starting on the 28th (I am starting day 9) ... could not wait until September 5th.  I am doing well and both doing W30 and pushing myself with training for my second ever X-Fit competition.

If you are all OK... I will be a member of the group and participate when I can but I will continue on the path but I will be a bit ahead of the rest in this group.  I am doing my W30 at least until October 1st (the day of my challenge).

Cheers

DJ

Hello everyone! Here we are on Day 2! I love how drtracyb posted what she ate yesterday. If anyone else wants to do that, I would love it!

Here was yesterday for me:

Breakfast: scrambled eggs, avocado, cucumber, tomatoes     I was traveling and ate breakfast at lunchtime and then didn't eat again until dinner. Believe me, I will ALWAYS eat three meals, this was not normal for me :)   Dinner: Kale salad with a few nuts, grapes, red onion & grilled flank steak.

Today: breakfast: grilled leftover steak, avocado, snap peas   Lunch: chicken with a little complaint BBQ sauce, sauerkraut, olives  Dinner: Taco salad

GOOD LUCK today!

Hi all, hope it's not too late to join?

I started on the 5th as well.  This will be my 3rd whole 30.  It has been over a year since I completed one.  I want to work on my gut and my moods.  I am also hoping it will make yoga a little easier.  I also started reading clear your clutter with feng shui.  I would be happy if I could get up without wincing, get back in to my meditation and away from the TV where I binge watched all 6 seasons of Downton Abby.    I was hoping to go coffee free but today I needed a little help and decided a cup would be okay.

Thanks for the support.  I definitely need it!

Carol

I woke up Saturday morning wondering what I was waiting for,  so I started with out having cleaned out the fridge and pantry. My husband and son are helping with that and have agreed to whole30 dinners. Poor son thinks he's dying without me making dessert every night.

Anyway today is day 4 now. So far so good. I had everyone home over the long weekend and today I am home alone. I started with banana and almonds now I am heading out for my morning walk.

Archived