Starting Whole 30 on September 5th

Mamagill08

A good day today.  I'm feeling overall so much clearer-headed since I've cut out the grains.  Before the Whole30 I was still eating a few slices of Adventure Bread a week (has a small amount of oatmeal), so was worried I'd miss it.  I worked until 6 today then went to acupuncture (there is a lowcost clinic near my home so I go weekly) and by time I got home it was after 8 and I was hungry and tired and due to being busy working all weekend, I'm not as prepared for the week as I'd like to be.  But I sauteed some sliced sweet onion and some spinach in some ghee, then scrambled a couple of eggs into that, and ate it with the homemade ketchup I made on Monday.  It was delicious.  I wanted a treat afterwards, and I remembered I had some leftover baked sweet potato coins in the refrigerator, so I took one out and smeared a bit of almond butter on it, and ate it cold that with some tea.  And read a book and allowed myself to really relax.  It felt good to be taking care of myself.  I'm happy I'm doing this.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DD Ann said:

Hi there! It's so nice to read about how everyone is doing. I've been fine up until today.....feeling as though I'm getting flu. Luckily I have Thursday afternoons off, so was able to rest a bit. 

If you were eating a lot of processed carbs before starting, this could well be the notorious "carb flu."   It will pass.  Or it may be flu (which will also pass). In both cases eat well and lots of water.

3 hours ago, Cannylassy said:

Slept in this morning and got woken by upset children panicked because they'd lost the hamster. Who was happily asleep in the bottom of the cage. I did not Kill All The Things. Didn't even want to. 

I'm so sick of cooking, though.

I'm not sick of cooking but I am sick of doing dishes!!!  Glad the hamster was safe.  :-)

I feel like I could sleep away the entire day today. The fact that my legs and arms feel like lead isn't helping, either. I am so jealous of my pets right now. They spend the day napping, awakening sometimes only to have their human kiss them and tell them how pretty they are.  Good grief, I'm bordering on delirious. Green tea, here I come!

Day 4 here like most of you and I feel ok. Yesterday was another story. I felt very weak and really dragged walking up the stairs to work. Then the headache! 

To sum up my day looked like this: 8 hours at work, 5 hours with a headache, 4 hours napping and the rest of the day cooking, doing dishes or eating. Let's move on....

Day 4: was not entirely prepared for this Whole30 as I didn't have a comprehensive shopping list last week, but I'm making do and making good choices. And I'll meal plan, shop and prep better next week.

It's a really stressful time for me to be doing a W30 as I'm in the last month of delivering a 2-year long project, and with the kids back in school our schedule is crazy. But I said to myself, all that stress is exactly why I have to do a W30 now. The only way to get through this month is to feel better and eating W30 will help. Also listening to ISWF (again) on my commute is reinforcing why W30 now.

I'm enjoying keeping up with everyone's progress and the Q&A and support. Well done everyone, more than 10% done!

Day 4: I'm with you Kate, not as prepared as I want to be.  And I've learned that I can't do a (compliant) spaghetti sauce over zoodles.  It really makes me want bread.  I can take or leave the pasta.

And I realized I forgot to set out my chicken thighs, so no crispy chicken for me tonight.  Which means I have to figure something else out for dinner.  I think the only option is steak.  Just have to get enough for leftovers tomorrow :).

Not hyper ragey today, which is good for everyone around me.  Although I don't think it will take much to get me there.  Probably a really good thing that my boss isn't in town this week :)

1 hour ago, Riya said:

Day 4: I'm with you Kate, not as prepared as I want to be.  And I've learned that I can't do a (compliant) spaghetti sauce over zoodles.  It really makes me want bread.  I can take or leave the pasta.

And I realized I forgot to set out my chicken thighs, so no crispy chicken for me tonight.  Which means I have to figure something else out for dinner.  I think the only option is steak.  Just have to get enough for leftovers tomorrow :).

Not hyper ragey today, which is good for everyone around me.  Although I don't think it will take much to get me there.  Probably a really good thing that my boss isn't in town this week :)

Whenever I forget to take meat out for dinner, I tend to have brinner....  breakfast for dinner.  Whole30 compliant of course -- eggs & veggies.  Maybe a frittata.  

36 minutes ago, JamieMathis said:

Whenever I forget to take meat out for dinner, I tend to have brinner....  breakfast for dinner.  Whole30 compliant of course -- eggs & veggies.  Maybe a frittata.  

I didn't have enough for all of us for dinner last night (bad zucchini, kinda hurt the whole zoodle experience) so I did that last night.  I'm running low on eggs. :)

12 hours ago, Cannylassy said:

I'm so sick of cooking, though.

I like the food, but not standing around the kitchen, so I tend to cook in big batches when I do cook. I survive a lot on leftovers! I also usually have several protein options already cooked & in the fridge, most often steak, salmon, and eggs.... and I always have ghee & mayo on hand, ditto for vegs, so it's pretty easy to just grab a few things & make a meal out of them. Then it's not so much cooking as it is scavenging. Scavenging is better'n cooking any day of the week, imho. Good luck. 

16 hours ago, DD Ann said:

Hi there! It's so nice to read about how everyone is doing. I've been fine up until today.....feeling as though I'm getting flu. Luckily I have Thursday afternoons off, so was able to rest a bit. 

I learned to always keep bone broth in the freezer. It's great when you are feeling like you have the flu. There are no compliant bone broths where I live, but all bones get thrown into the freezer in a bag until I'm ready to put them in a pot & make broth. Hope you feel better soon.

Enjoyed dinner tonight! Pounded a chicken breast nice and thin then pan fried it in EVOO. Topped it off with mango-pineapple that I chopped into tiny bits and simmered until thick, poured the extra pineapple juice in the sauce pan too. Next time I'll add scallions to the mango-pineapple compote.

Just catching up on everyone's posts, looks like I'm not the only one with a case of the sleeps yesterday! Fell asleep at 7:45 on the couch cozied up next to the hubby. It's good to know you are not alone in this!

Ruby, that mango pineapple sounds fantastic!  And I love the idea of adding scallions.

I had the tired's yesterday.  Little Bit has them today.  She goes to an after-care for school.  I got there, and she was half asleep on the floor.  LOL  Of course now she's stalling on getting ready for bed.

Hey guys! 4 days in and I'm feeling great so far.

Has anyone else had the experience of very few (if any) negative side effects during the first week? I know it's early, but it's making me worry I'm doing something wrong even though I'm following the program very carefully. I've had a few minor headaches, but I get headaches like that somewhat regularly (one of the reasons I'm doing Whole 30). I also can't say I was eating terribly well in the week or 2 leading up to starting, so I feel like I should be feeling worse than I am!

Is it just me? 

Hi Everyone! Sorry I have been MIA - DH is out of town, so I've been juggling things on my own, and as a consequence have very little down time. He comes home tomorrow, so I will get a chance to write more, but just wanted to pop in and say that I hope you are all doing great! I'm feeling pretty exhausted, but not sure if its the W30 or the single-parent thing.....

I work Tuesday through Thursday, but those are long days, so my work week is now over.  I've read so much about batch cooking/prepping for the week, but I haven't seriously attempted it.  This week I'm determined to do that, at least for the days I work.  I've done fine, as far as keeping on the program, but tonight I got home late and then it took me 20 minutes to find parking, and by time I got some food in my mouth, I was totally off-kilter with hunger.  Will also pack some kind of protein snack next week so if I get home late, I can do so without starving.  Since I spent weeks gradually working up to this, I'm not having as many reactions as some of you, so I'm feeling really good.  Was thinking on my way home, that I felt happy, for no reason.  This is such a change.  I began the summer very depressed, like it was hard to move.  I started weekly acupuncture and did tons of reading about food and diet, and I started cutting out grains, not convinced at first I could do it, and then cutting out more—and then eating them again and back and forth.  I've been glutenfree for maybe 7 years; I have a significant intolerance to it, but eating out sometimes I've been not as careful as I should be, with bad results.  It was a surprise that cutting out other grains would make a difference—same with sugar, as I didn't think I ate that much sugar (think again).  I'm feeling so much brighter and energetic.  Making these changes has been a big deal, but at the same time I think, is that all it takes to go from hopeless and stuck to feeling engaged in life?

5 hours ago, katonahdc said:

Hey guys! 4 days in and I'm feeling great so far.

Has anyone else had the experience of very few (if any) negative side effects during the first week? I know it's early, but it's making me worry I'm doing something wrong even though I'm following the program very carefully. I've had a few minor headaches, but I get headaches like that somewhat regularly (one of the reasons I'm doing Whole 30). I also can't say I was eating terribly well in the week or 2 leading up to starting, so I feel like I should be feeling worse than I am!

Is it just me? 

It's not just you :-) Morning of day 5 for me, and I've felt fine so far, except a little nausea and headache last night after dinner (which got me fearing food poisoning, but nothing else happened, so I guess it wasn't) I took a salt shot and an ibuprofen and it went away. Other than that I've just felt a little hungry from time to time, so I've been drinking lots of water and tea. 

9 hours ago, katonahdc said:

as anyone else had the experience of very few (if any) negative side effects during the first week?

I was getting smug about feeling great, then was hit within 24 hours with a massive headache, horrible attitude, super dozy and a few cravings. The box of xxxx pictured at the end of the day 4 email didn't help the cravings!
Hopefully your symptoms will be mild! 

46 minutes ago, No more muffins said:

Can peeps share some of their favorite recipes?  I tried to not weigh myself, but failed.  How is everyone doing?

For recipes I've been using ones in the Whole30 book, as well as inspiration from NomNom Paleo and the Whole30Recipes Instagram page. So far the basic chicken with roasted red pepper mayo has been our favourite meal.  

Not to be debbie downer or discourage you but one of the rules (not recommendations-rules) is to not weigh yourself for the 30 days. Are you planning to re-start so you can get the most out of the the Whole30? http://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

You have the strength to get through this and we're all in it together!

Archived