Starting Whole 30 on September 5th

Mamagill08

1 hour ago, No more muffins said:

:)  Day 5...Almost 1 week in.   Can peeps share some of their favorite recipes?  I tried to not weigh myself, but failed.  How is everyone doing?

Shelli

I LOVE all of the recipes by Mel Joulwan at Well Fed. http://meljoulwan.com/ Especially the "Best Chicken You Will Ever Eat. Ever." She has great bulk shopping, prepping and cooking tips too, and everything has so much flavor!

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, VivaLaMeredith said:

What is a 'salt shot'? I don't know if I've ever heard of it to combat nausea/headache.

The theory is that you may not get enough salt when you eat non-processed foods and the resulting electrolyte imbalance can make you feel bad, nauseous and so on. The remedy is a dose of salt (half a teaspoon?) with a big glass of water.

1 hour ago, No more muffins said:

:)  Day 5...Almost 1 week in.   Can peeps share some of their favorite recipes?  I tried to not weigh myself, but failed.  How is everyone doing?

Shelli

Favourite so far: Kalua pulled pork from Nom Nom Paleo, plus the resulting Pig-in-a-skillet (which I might have had for both breakfast and lunch today o_O) Also roasted veg, tasty and so easy to make!

Ask your partner/child/neighbour to hide the scales! You don't need them, promise!

16 minutes ago, Whole_K8 said:

I LOVE all of the recipes by Mel Joulwan at Well Fed. http://meljoulwan.com/ Especially the "Best Chicken You Will Ever Eat. Ever." She has great bulk shopping, prepping and cooking tips too, and everything has so much flavor!

I also love her books, Well Fed and Well Fed 2. I have a 6 month old so I keep my meals as easy as possible, especially breakfast and lunch. I don't mind eating the same thing for those meals over and over so it's usually browned ground beef with either kale or greens cooked in it after browning and add Tessemae's Buffalo sauce and coconut oil. Easy to cook a huge batch and then freeze in individual Pyrex containers (I bought about 10 during my last whole30 and it helps!)

8 minutes ago, MalinHillevi said:

Favourite so far: Kalua pulled pork from Nom Nom Paleo, plus the resulting Pig-in-a-skillet (which I might have had for both breakfast and lunch today o_O)

I like to use some of the fat left in the slow cooker to braise mixed greens which are delicious alongside the pork - one of my very favourite dishes.

Day 5 already.  This week has gone by pretty quick.  Not feeling bad today, a little bit of a headache is all, but I think that's because I slept funny.  I have noticed the eczema on my hand is clearing up a bit.  I have a patch on the base of my hand (where I rest it to use the mouse) that's always inflamed and split open.  Day 2, the little "cuts" were sealed, and now it just looks like a couple of dry patches.  And a spot on my finger tried to flare up, but that's going down without the skin breaking.  And neither spot itches.  Win!! 

I'm also not having to run to the bathroom within a couple of minutes of eating.  So 2 wins!  The key for me is that when this is over, I need to remember just how bad the pain gets when I'm not eating right.  Apparently I bury that memory and am always taken by surprise.

Ignored the monster box of donut holes yesterday, and my husband walked away from the huge box of cookies that were delivered to him from his boss as well.  He told his guys to put them far away. 

Little Bit has a volleyball tournament tomorrow, so tonight is going to be spent prepping a cooler so she (and I) can have compliant food with us.  No concession stand for her!

On 9/7/2016 at 0:08 AM, KJK said:

I started on the 5th. Been feeling horrible for the last 24 hours, but I'm looking forward to feeling great again soon.

I'm finding I'm extra hungry despite having decent portions. But I'm going to try increasing breakfast portions and see if it helps. I have never been a breakfast person and always reached for bread or porridge when I do eat it. Eggs for breakfast is a big challenge! 

I've taken my coffee black for years now, long suspected milk allergies although I struggle to cut out cheese. So that one is easy on me. 

I'm just waiting for sinus and back pain to pass. But I often get that a couple of days into my monthly cycle anyway, so it could be that not whole 30. 

I've been wanting to do this for around 3 years, only just finding the inner and outer resources to make it happen. 

KJK - breakfast was a HUGE challenge for me when I did my first W30, as prior to that I would usually just have coffee. I'm not a morning person, so getting up even a few minutes earlier to cook myself a compliant breakfast was a big pain. However, I found that starting the day with a good breakfast, and including enough fat, changed my whole day for the better. Here is what I do now: Each evening I make sure I have something prepped that I can just toss in the microwave for a few seconds - usually a plate of left over meat and veg from dinner - and a small avocado or and handful of olives. Easy peasy, I get my food, my fat, and I don't have to wake up any earlier! Give it a try and see if it works for you! :)

19 hours ago, Whole_K8 said:

Apparently I want to kill all the things today.

My family is not happy. Deep breaths....

Hang in there K8. When I hit the wall during my first W30 (around day 4, if I remember correctly) I sat my kids down and told them about what I was doing and why, and that sometimes things have to get worse before they get better. I told them I was feeling really angry, but it wasn't about them, it was all ME (and my blasted sugar dragon). Although this didn't help my mood, I think it helped my family deal with my mood. So this time around, on the very first day I sat them down again and reminded them about the process and how I might be angry, but that it was not their fault, it was just part of the process of healing.

I think it is really important to share this journey with our SOs, particularly our kids. It shows them that we can do hard things, and that hard things are worth doing.

Just now, JTCarlson said:

Hang in there K8. When I hit the wall during my first W30 (around day 4, if I remember correctly) I sat my kids down and told them about what I was doing and why, and that sometimes things have to get worse before they get better. I told them I was feeling really angry, but it wasn't about them, it was all ME (and my blasted sugar dragon). Although this didn't help my mood, I think it helped my family deal with my mood. So this time around, on the very first day I sat them down again and reminded them about the process and how I might be angry, but that it was not their fault, it was just part of the process of healing.

I think it is really important to share this journey with our SOs, particularly our kids. It shows them that we can do hard things, and that hard things are worth doing.

Thanks @JTCarlson! As I mentioned way above, I think everyone's cranky with new schedules! I did calm down and talk to them last night - it helped a bit! :)

4 hours ago, No more muffins said:

Shelli

Well, since you asked..... ;):

Lemon Pepper Chicken

Ingredients: 2 POUNDS BONELESS, SKINLESS CHICKEN BREASTS, FAT TRIMMED (ABOUT 6 CHICKEN
BREASTS), 1/4 CUP EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, THE JUICE FROM ONE LEMON (ABOUT 3 TABLESPOONS), 1/2 TEASPOON PEPPER, 1/4 TEASPOON SALT

Throw it all in a crockpot, cook on low for 4-6 hours. I usually make a double batch, and then make chicken salad from the leftovers by adding homemade mayo, some dried tarragon, and more salt and pepper.

Easy and delicious!

I'm feeling a bit lethargic and headachy today. On my second cup of coffee and think I might need a few ibuprofen as well. :( One thing I am noticing this time around is that the negative effects are hitting my quicker than last time. I'm hoping this means I will get through them quicker as well. I know we have a lot of "repeat offenders" in this group - have any of your experienced this?

Hey all

Favorite Recipe of all time (for taste) was the Rogan Josh from Well Fed.  I made it with beef rather than Lamb but it was absolutely the best thing i have ever eaten made by me or anyone else.  However... it took a lot of time and it also cost a few $$ to make (needed all kinds of new spices to make the curry base).  I made it for a special occasion and it was well worth it but I have not made it since.

My favorite every day recipe (go to on down days) is W30 Chili from ISWF.  Simple, easy and good.  My kids like my chili (without beans) way better than my Mother-in-laws (but don't tell her that).  Some of my coworkers joke that it is not chili, just spaghetti sauce with different seasoning... but I like it.

Eating on plan 100% today.  Last night was the first night of the Scouts for my son.  They had a family BBQ to kick off the session.  I was the only one that did not eat out of the 45 people there (hot dogs and pasta salad).  One of the many things I love about W30 is that it 100% (for me) keeps hunger at bay (especially in the evening).  The control that you get allowed me to easily enjoy the event without thinking about food and then going home and making my own dinner (pork chop and salad) at 8:30 PM (about 2 hours later than normal) without having any real hunger or cravings.  The control that W30 provides is invaluable to me!!!  If I was eating "normal", i would have likely been hungry, eaten 3-4 hot dogs with buns and condiments, plus 1-2 sides of pasta salad.  I would then have gone home and likely had a snack before bed (plus 4-5 Tums due to anti-acid and heartburn).  Now we just need to get the mosquitoes on W30 cause they ate us alive for the last 15 minutes of the event.

Sometimes we focus on what we give up or how "hard" the W30 program is but, for me anyways, when I step back and examine the real life changes that occur... it is amazing what this WOE provides for me.  Last month, a healthy dose of "Tums" was a nightly ritual just to be able to get to sleep.  I have not even thought about taking any tums (no need) since I started the W30 again (for my 10th round). 

As an aside... I am physically burnt out... beyond doing another W30 (I am on day 12 as i started a little early), I am also training pretty darn hard and I am feeling it today.  I don't mind being sore every day (comes with the focus of fitness) but this week has been pushing it.  I am taking both days off from training this weekend and I am looking forward to it.  Part of the focus right now is because I am doing a novice masters CrossFit challenge on October 1, and I don't want to embarrass myself too much.  It is a challenge supporting cervical cancer research (reminds me that my DOMS and tiredness is noting).

Cheers

DJ

23 minutes ago, JTCarlson said:

I'm feeling a bit lethargic and headachy today. On my second cup of coffee and think I might need a few ibuprofen as well. :( One thing I am noticing this time around is that the negative effects are hitting my quicker than last time. I'm hoping this means I will get through them quicker as well. I know we have a lot of "repeat offenders" in this group - have any of your experienced this?

Yes!  I am about three days ahead of "schedule", according to the W30 timeline.   I keep telling myself that it's a good thing - it means I'll get to the good part sooner. Hopefully!

5 hours ago, VivaLaMeredith said:

I was getting smug about feeling great, then was hit within 24 hours with a massive headache, horrible attitude, super dozy and a few cravings. The box of xxxx pictured at the end of the day 4 email didn't help the cravings!
Hopefully your symptoms will be mild! 

I agree about the box of XXXX -  I found myself just staring at the picture!   Not a good idea to put that in our "reward" for doing so well all day!  Oh well... at least it wasn't in smellivision!

I was mentally preparing for my day and thinking of the ways I would combat the dreaded Sugar Dragon today.  “Maybe I’ll grab a bottle of water and go for a walk.  Maybe I’ll sew a quilt square or two.  Maybe I’ll go out to my hammock for a quick nap”.

Then I thought, “What would the Sugar Dragon like to do?”

Suddenly I was thinking about the big, bad beastie in a whole new way!  What if he DOES want to do something besides breathe fire and do battle?  What if he’s as tired of fighting as I am?  What if there’s a different way of being with him - a way to have a relationship rather than just trying to ignore him for five minutes and hope he goes away?

Maybe he’s just a big old beastie that really wants to help but doesn’t know how.  He could simply want to remind me that I need to be kind and nurture myself.  The only way he knows to soothe me is the historically successful - “bake someone happy”.  Maybe his intentions are good, but he needs some new tools in his toolbox.

I spend so much energy trying to battle or ignore the Sugar Dragon - and maybe I should put some effort into working with the beastie.  I wonder if I could talk with him about all the new things I’ve learned regarding my mind, body and nutrition.  Maybe I can enlist his help in a new role to help me reach the goals I’ve set for myself.  He is a powerful beastie that I’d rather have on my side fighting with me, rather than against me!  If I can tame the Sugar Dragon, I may find I have a new ally in my quest to be strong and healthy - and wouldn’t THAT be nice?!

I’m sure it won’t be long before that old Sugar Dragon pays me another visit, and it would be great to welcome him as a friend to hear what insight he might have for me.  So maybe the next time he comes around breathing fire, I’ll grab an extra bottle of water and invite him to have a nice chat while we walk!  

On 9/5/2016 at 4:24 PM, JClever said:

Hi my name is Jessica and I started Whole30 today. I succeeded so far, I just feel fatigued from not having any coffee today. I normally have 2-3 cups of coffee with milk and stevia in the morning.  I was looking into coconut milk to put in my coffee. Besides that I prepared food all day yesterday and have fruits and veggies ready to go in the refrigerator. Only complaint is just tired. 

Hi Jessica, I am new too... I thought coffee without creamer was going to kill me. But I tried it and didn't die. Then I found the "nut pods" W30 approved creamer on Amazon. It arrived yesterday and today i had a splash in my coffee, it was good!! Not too sweet and not like my regular creamer, but defiantly something i could get used to! Hope this helps! 

2 hours ago, Mrs Mac said:

Hi Jessica, I am new too... I thought coffee without creamer was going to kill me. But I tried it and didn't die. Then I found the "nut pods" W30 approved creamer on Amazon. It arrived yesterday and today i had a splash in my coffee, it was good!! Not too sweet and not like my regular creamer, but defiantly something i could get used to! Hope this helps! 

Mine just arrived also (love Amazon) and they are great! Brought a tiny jar of the unsweetened vanilla with me to Starbucks and added to my iced decaf Americano and it was amazing!

3 hours ago, Quilter said:

I was mentally preparing for my day and thinking of the ways I would combat the dreaded Sugar Dragon today.  “Maybe I’ll grab a bottle of water and go for a walk.  Maybe I’ll sew a quilt square or two.  Maybe I’ll go out to my hammock for a quick nap”.

Then I thought, “What would the Sugar Dragon like to do?”

Suddenly I was thinking about the big, bad beastie in a whole new way!  What if he DOES want to do something besides breathe fire and do battle?  What if he’s as tired of fighting as I am?  What if there’s a different way of being with him - a way to have a relationship rather than just trying to ignore him for five minutes and hope he goes away?

Maybe he’s just a big old beastie that really wants to help but doesn’t know how.  He could simply want to remind me that I need to be kind and nurture myself.  The only way he knows to soothe me is the historically successful - “bake someone happy”.  Maybe his intentions are good, but he needs some new tools in his toolbox.

I spend so much energy trying to battle or ignore the Sugar Dragon - and maybe I should put some effort into working with the beastie.  I wonder if I could talk with him about all the new things I’ve learned regarding my mind, body and nutrition.  Maybe I can enlist his help in a new role to help me reach the goals I’ve set for myself.  He is a powerful beastie that I’d rather have on my side fighting with me, rather than against me!  If I can tame the Sugar Dragon, I may find I have a new ally in my quest to be strong and healthy - and wouldn’t THAT be nice?!

I’m sure it won’t be long before that old Sugar Dragon pays me another visit, and it would be great to welcome him as a friend to hear what insight he might have for me.  So maybe the next time he comes around breathing fire, I’ll grab an extra bottle of water and invite him to have a nice chat while we walk!  

Quilter - I LOVE THIS!! What a great way to turn an idea on it's head. Reading this sparked some ideas in my own head - maybe my dragon is really a canary, telling me when I need to slow down, refuel (with GOOD food), tend to my own needs.....maybe I can interpret that roaring for sugar as a clarion call to be *sweet* to myself and making sure I get what I need in terms of nutrition, rest, and peacefulness. A reminder to fill my own cup!

Hot here and potato salad has been calling my name. My recipe calls for a cup of mayo. Alas, I had only 2/3c.  Whipped out my recipe, ingredients and immersion blender and whipped up a jar of mayo. 

I made my first batch July 2015 during my first W30 and have been making it every 10 -14 days ever since. I use Mel Joulwan's recipe www.meljoulwan.com.  I use only a cup of the olive oil and a little less of the 2 TBSP lemon just because I like it better. I did all the things recommended: everything room temperature, drizzle the oil. I lived in fear of all the "fails" I read of. 

Now I just dump all the ingredients together right out of the fridge, stick my immersion blender in and whirl it away, lifting the blender as it emulsifies.  I've not had a fail yet.  

But I confess each time a hold my breath as the magic of the mayo happens.  Be brave and try it!

3 hours ago, JTCarlson said:

Quilter - I LOVE THIS!! What a great way to turn an idea on it's head. Reading this sparked some ideas in my own head - maybe my dragon is really a canary, telling me when I need to slow down, refuel (with GOOD food), tend to my own needs.....maybe I can interpret that roaring for sugar as a clarion call to be *sweet* to myself and making sure I get what I need in terms of nutrition, rest, and peacefulness. A reminder to fill my own cup!

Love it!  We are going to continue to receive nudges from the Sugar Dragon - so let's interpret them as "sweet nothings" whispered in our ears!  Turn what was previously a negative into a positive - to help us on this journey!

15 hours ago, djoyce said:

As an aside... I am physically burnt out... beyond doing another W30 (I am on day 12 as i started a little early), I am also training pretty darn hard and I am feeling it today.  I don't mind being sore every day (comes with the focus of fitness) but this week has been pushing it.  I am taking both days off from training this weekend and I am looking forward to it.  Part of the focus right now is because I am doing a novice masters CrossFit challenge on October 1, and I don't want to embarrass myself too much.  It is a challenge supporting cervical cancer research (reminds me that my DOMS and tiredness is noting).

Cheers

DJ

I know you keep saying you've done many rounds of W30 and that you do better eating 3 square meals but this isn't the first time I've seen you report being burned out or injured. Have you ever thought it's because you are pushing your body too much and denying  it the fuel it deserves? Many people train fasted, or don't do the whole PreWO food (myself included) because that's what works for them, but most people make an effort to include a postWO meal and they see the benefits - your body has EARNED that fuel, and denying it greatly inhibits muscle recovery & repair. Combining postWO and your next meal doesn't work because the fat in the meal prevents muscle protein synthesis, and it's likely that the protein in your next meal is eaten outside of the recovery window anyways.... Just sayin'! ;)

I love all the support and helpful tips here :)

Volleyball tournament, almost late dropping Little Bit off, and she forgot her knee pads.  But, she loved her egg banana breakfast and actually ate!  Have a cooler packed with food for both of us.  So glad my farmer stays open until 5:00, because I'm out of eggs.  My breakfast won't be what I want, 2 HB eggs because that's all that was left.  But I have enough with me to get me by.  Now to fly out the door and meet them there.

Hope everyone has a great day and Go Mustangs!!  LOL

Archived