Starting Whole 30 on September 5th

Mamagill08

15 minutes ago, Susan E said:

I started with banana and almonds

I'm guessing you might be ravenous in an hour or so :ph34r:

Have you seen the recommended meal template? It might be worth checking out - often when we start out with a small breakfast we spend the rest of the day playing catch up, particularly if we do this a few days in a row...

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hullo, day 2 here and I feel fine. Great idea to share our meals, whoever suggested that! This is me so far:

D1M1: can of mackerel (sp?) in tomato sauce, two hardboiled eggs, homemade aioli.

D1M2: two egg omelet with bacon, mushrooms, leafy greens and tomatoes

snack before yoga, because dinner would be late: nectarine, a hardboiled egg

D1M3: Kalua pulled pork (yum!), roasted veg: sweet potatoes, potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, olive oil, aioli

D2M1: - (wasn't hungry and had to catch the bus. note to self: go to sleep earlier so I get up in the morning!)

D2M2: leftover pulled pork and veg, tomato, aioli, pear

D2M3: probably at a restaurant with people from work. I do hope there are good options for me!

I'm not sure how I feel about breakfast. I used to be like "breakfast or I'll die!" but I've been doing intermittent fasting 16:8 (i.e. skipping breakfast) for quite some time now and it usually works fine for me.

HI -- I'm Jamie.  I started whole30 yesterday.  This is my second whole30 though I've had a few failed attempts between now and the last time I did one, which was spring of 2014.  I'm hoping to see improvement in my thyroid; which the dutiful doctor says is fine -- my blood levels are "in the range".  Can't convince him to do a more in-depth test.  Self-diagnosing is never good; however, when reading about thyroid trouble and a sluggish thyroid, I have all but 2 symptoms.   I also need to find this elusive 'food freedom'.  I no longer want to go home after a stressful day and find comfort in food; there has to be a better way.  I'm here to learn how to have food freedom.  

My last whole30, I admit, I was doing to lose weight.  It actually didn't really work for me -- losing the weight and I have at least 60-70 lbs to lose -- so we aren't talking 10 'vanity' pounds....  but I also realize that was not a good reason for me to embark on whole30.  I'm not discounting anyone that wants to lose weight as a benefit of whole30, just for me, I feel I went about whole30 the wrong way.  I still have weight I could lose, but I've finally reconciled myself to the fact that I may just be this size forever.  What I'm looking for this time is to FEEL GREAT, have energy, and not be a slave to the binge eating cycle.  I didn't even weigh myself prior to the start; I haven't weighed myself in about 2 months.  I don't plan on weighing after this whole30 either.  For me, the scale is a trap!  Don't fall for it!  :-)

Anyway -- that was really rambling.... 

Jamie

How did everyone's day 1 go? Mine went well but found I was still hungry after eating so I'm going to look into my portions.  So far day 2 has been good.  Drinking coffee black will take some getting used to tho but thankfully I cut out sugar a year ago from coffee so it's the cream I'm missing.  Hope everyone is having a great day 2 :)

52 minutes ago, Stephanie12345 said:

How did everyone's day 1 go? Mine went well but found I was still hungry after eating so I'm going to look into my portions.  So far day 2 has been good.  Drinking coffee black will take some getting used to tho but thankfully I cut out sugar a year ago from coffee so it's the cream I'm missing.  Hope everyone is having a great day 2 :)

I found it helpful to make sure that fat is included in every meal; sometimes that can be why hunger appears or lasts.  I like to make sure I'm drinking enough water too (although I've always DETESTED that saying "you aren't hungry, you're thirsty -- drink some water").   Day 2 is going good for me; but your post hit a note -- I'm feeling hungry now and lunch isn't for an hour.  

15 hours ago, samnkelli said:

Put 2 tablespoons of coconut oil or ghee in your coffee, add unsweetened vanilla almond milk (califa farms is the complaint brand), a dash of cinnamon....and blend in a blender. Its as close to a latte as you can get....DELICIOUS !!

The Whole30 website says Vanilla Extract is non-compliant. How does that factor into Vanilla Almond Milk? Not trying to be nit picky, just trying to understand. :) 

"Vanilla Extract: No

Honestly, we think this ruling is kind of silly (nobody uses vanilla extract for the buzz), but we must be consistent with the guidelines to avoid confusion. The vast majority of vanilla extracts you can purchase for home use (in-store and online) contain alcohol, and the rest contain sugar alcohols. And, since we ask you to exclude alcohol and all forms of sugar from your Whole30, vanilla extracts are non-compliant. (If you see vanilla extract listed as an ingredient, you can count that product out for your Whole30, too.)

Tip: You can use 100% vanilla bean powder in place of vanilla extract. We use it in a 1:1 ratio in recipes (1 tsp. vanilla extract = 1 tsp. vanilla bean powder)."

As noted a while ago... I have been doing this off and on for a while.   More off lately  than on.  

Meals today are:

M1 - Three poached eggs, Potato scramble (coconut oil, baked potato, onion, ground lamb, chili seasoning heated in frying pan) and small banana

M2 - Pork chop, Kale and Cabbage salad (EVOO, balsamic and Costco's Version of organic Ms Dash), apple

M3 - Steak, Green Salad and potato scramble side

Today started with a 55 minute X-Fit workout of stretching , C2 Rowing Sprints, Handstand progression, Hang Power Cleans and Standing Lunges.  I have been told many times to try the Pre and post workout additions but I have tried them many times and really work better when I stick to 3 square meals.  I do 5:30 AM workouts and cannot wake up and eat (even small meals) before my workout.   

Feeling really good today despite only getting 4.5 hours sleep last night!!!

Cheers

DJ

I started yesterday!  So far, I have felt fine as I have tried to start eating more compliant up until the start.  My husband has started with me and is having a much harder time not relying on corn chips and toast to snack on.  I am looking forward to renewing my motivation in the gym, regulating my thyroid, easing some digestive issues and decreasing some tendinitis!  I will be looking for pack able snack/mini meal options to pack for my husband.

On 5 September 2016 at 4:48 PM, VivaLaMeredith said:

I'm not in the UK but in Canada. I can't buy any of the Whole30 approved products here. :(
What has helped me is to go grocery shopping by myself with no time limit. I think visiting organic food stores and local markets, or bulk food stores would also be a good place to start. 
Thankfully we don't NEED fancy products to do this...just real food! You can do this @Murcian ! 

Yes I can!! Day 2 hangover here..... And no fancy goods just wonderful fresh produce so thank you Meredith 

Happy days ahead, 

I am drinking a lot of water today. I'm also making sure to add olives, avocado, or some kind of fat with each meal. Not only does this keep me from getting hungry, I think it keeps me from craving sugar! :) I'm in the middle of the 2nd day and haven't had any sweet cravings yet. I'm so thankful. That was rough for me when I did my first Whole30.

Hello All - I'm 38 hours into my first Whole30 endeavor... so far, so good.  I'm going this to *reset* my mind and get off the crazy food/sugar obsession/cycle that I've been on.  I am 50 pounds heavier than I was prior to having my twins (age 4) and have struggled to lose weight despite consistent work outs. My healthy eating has yo yo ed (intentionally using past tense here!) from good clean eating for a few weeks to carbohydrate binge (and weight regain) for the next week or so and again and again. SO time to stop the madness and reclaim my mind, body and spirit.

Here's to healthy thinking and living.

3 hours ago, VivaLaMeredith said:

The Whole30 website says Vanilla Extract is non-compliant. How does that factor into Vanilla Almond Milk? Not trying to be nit picky, just trying to understand. :) 

Here are the ingredients for Califia Farms Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk -- no mention of vanilla extract. It is compliant. It's not sweet or vanilla-y really but I like it better than plain almond milk. 

Ingredients: Almondmilk (Water, Almonds), Contains Less Than 2% of the Following: Vitamin/ Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin D2, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Zinc), Sunflower Lecithin, Sea Salt, Potassium Citrate, Natural Flavors, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum.

Unsweetened Vanilla | Califia

www.califiafarms.com/products/almondmilk/unsweetened-vanilla

I've decided to be entirely fruit-free for this first week just to make sure I really get the sugar dragon out of my system.  Tonight I sautéed up a big pan of green beans. Nice change from my usual steamed. While I'm not wishing the summer away, having cooler temperatures to begin roasting vegs is something I'm really looking forward to. 

End of day 2, how did everyone do?

Did pretty good here, although I didn't get mowing done.  I'll have to deal with it one night this week.  I felt pretty rocky this morning, and happily was able to take a nap.  Then the headache came, but lived through it as well.  Have lunches packed for us for tomorrow and it's back to work for me. 

12 hours ago, MaryB613 said:

I think the key is to find a really good coffee and grind your own beans every morning.

That sounds soooooooooo good! I'll be over first thing. ;)

Day 2 for me was great, food-wise, but not so great as far as water & purposeful exercise goes. However, I did get outdoors for a bit, and if you count slinging boxes of files hither & yon as exercise, then I guess I had some of that too.  Or at least I wasn't sedentary.

I just finished prepping food for tomorrow (Day 3!).  One of the moderators (sorry I don't remember who to thank) suggested the Foolproof Homemade Paleo Mayo from thehealthyfoodie.com - that was the EASIEST thing I've ever made - and so good! http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

Then I took some of that mayo and made Creamy Italian Dressing from Well Fed - that also turned out great!  http://meljoulwan.com/2011/01/25/tangy-goodness-creamy-italian-dressing/  My D3M2 salad with grilled chicken is going to be great!

For D3M1 I made the Spinach Frittata from page 206 in the "Whole30" book.  And for D3M3, I made Stuffed Zucchini from page 114 of the book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall.

I'm ready for whatever crazy day 3 has in store for me!

Hey everyone..first 2days of whole 30 went good..here's what we ate:

D1M1: spinach and potato frittata, side of avocado, half a pear, coffee and unsweetened cashew milk

D1M2: butternutsquash soup with chicken and greens (made using homemade beef broth)

D1M3: Shepherds Pie followed by a peach

D2M1: Leftover frittata and leftover soup, coffee and cashew milk

D2M2: Leftover shepherds pie

D2M3: Slowcooker chili and cauliflower rice, followed by an apple

So far feel good and have been feeling fuller than usual..i am concerned about how much time Ive been spending in the kitchen though!! Although it does help that my boyfriend is on board with the whole 30 and we can split the cooking duties!!

Love reading about everyones progress.

12 hours ago, Stephanie12345 said:

This is my 3rd Whole30, and both times I found that for the first week or so I was ALWAYS hungry. Crazy hungry. But, around the second week things completely changed, and I was hardly ever hungry outside of regular meals.  I'm not sure the reason, but it might have something to do with my body switching to fat adaptation? I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

As for coffee and missing cream, have you tried Nutpods? They are compliant and really quite good.  I have to go to Whole Foods to get them, but I've also seen them on Amazon...

Happy day 2 everyone!

Archived