Such a failure

So I am seriously struggling with staying Whole 30 for more than a week. By week 2, my Sugar Dragon, and all his friends, are breathing fire down my neck. I eat a great breakfast full of protein, healthy fats, and vegetables, and then an equally comparable lunch but by 3:00, all those desires to EAT ANYTHING are knocking at my door. So frustrating!!! If I try to ignore it, I find myself chewing on my fingers and/or the inside of my mouth which is also not healthy. Am I doomed? Will I ever beat this thing that keeps setting me back and putting me back on day 1 over and over again? HELP!!!!

I think a lot of this is the routine.  When I get those kinds of mid-afternoon cravings, I drink a bottle of water and get up and walk around -- I am in an office building so I go talk to someone I would usually email.  This helps break the routine/comfort of the mid-afternoon snack.  If you are at home, on weekends I do similar things -- go put laundry away, take the dog for a walk, anything to break the eating from boredom/comfort/routine.  This may not work for everyone, but I found I wasn't actually hungry most of the time, just bored or falling victim to a habit.

• Moderators

Hang in there, Jess! It can be really tough changing our habits.

You haven't listed what you are eating, so please give us a few days of what you have eaten at each meal so we can spot any areas where we can suggest improvements.

You may simply need to eat a bigger lunch or add more fat, or carby veggies, or protein.

1 hour ago, ultrarunnergirl said:

Hang in there, Jess! It can be really tough changing our habits.

You haven't listed what you are eating, so please give us a few days of what you have eaten at each meal so we can spot any areas where we can suggest improvements.

You may simply need to eat a bigger lunch or add more fat, or carby veggies, or protein.

My breakfast consists of 2 egg cups (zucchini, red pepper, red onion, turkey bacon) and arugula with a little olive oil.

Lunch this week is tuna mixed with sun-dried tomatoes, red bell pepper, artichokes hearts, olives, hearts of palm, olive oil, and pepperoncinis. I also have a pluot or nectarine. 

I am pretty active during the day (8th grade PE teacher) and then usually work out after. Maybe I'm not eating enough? Not sure how to adjust. Thanks for your help.

I think you are undereating.  Meals should be one to two palm sized portions of protein, 1 to 3 cups of veggies and one to two thumb sized portions of fat.  If you are working out, you probably need a pre and post workout meal.  The pre workout meal should be protein and fat and the post workout meal should be lean protein and a carby veg.

For me, if I undereat at M1, the rest of my day is miserable.  Try increasing your eggs to 3 or 4 and add another source of fat (avocado, coconut milk) and/or up your olive oil to at least a Tbsp.  

For your M2 - increase your veggies and add another source of fat (mayo would be good)

Be sure you are drinking plenty of water too.  Hang in there - eat more and it will be much easier!

Oh and you are NOT such a failure.  You've made it a week so far and that's terrific.  As for your sugar dragon, eating full template meals with sufficient fat will help immensely.

This is my food today to give you some perspective:

6 am - 1 hb egg followed by 3.5 mile walk.  2 egg whites after the walk

7 am - M1 - 2 cups of "breakfast hash" - turnips, onions, red peppers, mushrooms, chicken apple sausage topped w 3 over easy eggs all cooked in coconut oil, half an avocado and black coffee

12 pm M2 - HUGE salad - about 6 cups of baby greens and spinach, a whole pickling cucumber, a handful of shredded carrots, a handful of grape tomatoes, 1/3 of a big red pepper, half an avocado topped w 2 roasted chicken thighs and 2 hb egg yolks (from this morning) and dressed w a generous amount of avocado oil and ACV

5 pm - big palm sized portion of kahlua pork, 2 cups roasted veggies (cauliflower, green beans, carrots and yellow squash) topped w a Tbsp of ghee and half a baked sweet potato topped w a tbsp of coconut oil

• Moderators

Yup, if you are working out you DEFINITELY need a postworkout meal, and probably a starchy veggie serving for at least one meal a day. Sweet potato, winter squash, beets, rutabaga ...

Here is the Meal Template which is very helpful in reference what amounts to eat at meals and what you should eat pre and/or post workout.

I bet that will make a really big difference in your success.

You should not be hungry for at least 4 hours following a meal if you eat enough and of the right things.

You can do this!

Archived