Meal timing question + snacks

AlexLifts

Hi everyone, I am doing my second whole 30 and looking for some input on my meal timings. I would also love some input on the controversial subject of snacks!

I work out at the gym, lifting weights 4-5 times a week and cardio 2-3 times a week, with 1-2 rest days. I have to go to the gym at 6am as I have a long commute into work afterwards (1hr 45 each way), so my schedule is kind of packed. One of the reasons I am doing Whole 30 is to get my snacking under control and so I keen on the no snacks rule BUT I also have a very long day and feel like I need something around 5pm to keep me going. For me, being too hungry or too full is a trigger for binge eating. 

Other things to note: I have to follow a low FODMAP diet, my commute involves 30 mins of walking each way and I cycle to the gym and back in the morning so I am pretty active. 

So, with that context in mind, here is what a typical day looks like: 

5am: Breakfast (this is also my pre workout meal) - 3 scrambled eggs with spinach 

6-7am workout 

7.30am Get on train to work 

7.45am Breakfast 2 (this is also my post workout meal) - 2 'egg cups' (turkey, kale, whole30bacon, and egg whites) plus potatoes or swede

12.30 Lunch - tuna, veggies, potatoes or swede

5pm Snack - 2 to 3 eggs, veggies 

5.30pm Get on train home

7pm - 30 mins of yoga/stretching

7.30-8pm Dinner - fish or meat with a selection of veggies 

I can't figure out how to edit the above post, so here's a correction: 

If having tuna at lunch, I mix it up with the veggies and starchy veggies and add a fat (usually flaxseed or an egg), so I think I'm eating enough - it takes me 30 mins to eat it all! 

I think you need of it differently than breakfast 1 & 2.

It's fine to skip the preWO since you're eating an adequate breakfast. However, I think you need to stick with the recommendation for a lean protein & starchy carb post WO instead of 'breakfast2'. The fat in this meal (egg yolks & bacon) will hinder recovery so you'd be better served holding off on those.

If I were you my day would look like this:

Breakfast @ 5am

Workout @ 6-7am

PostWO meal @ 7:15am (taken at the gym, immediately upon finishing my session, pre-shower)

Lunch @ 12:00

Mini meal @ 4:15 (protein & fat are your best option here)

Dinner @ 8pm

So no real change to your schedule - just more of a change in the composition (& names!) of your meals. Oh, and with your activity levels make sure you're eating to the high end of the template.

Hope his helps 
:)

Thanks for your input! 

To clarify, there is next to no fat in the post workout meal. I use 2 small rashers of bacon across 12 cups so I'd estimate it at 1g max. It's mostly there for the salt! There are no egg yolks in there either just egg whites  (I think I said that in the OP). 

So I think, names aside, that I am doing as you suggest! 

As for the snack/mini meal. Should I cut the veggies and just eat the eggs? That way I'd be sticking to just protein and fat. 

1 minute ago, AlexLifts said:

Thanks for your input! 

To clarify, there is next to no fat in the post workout meal. I use 2 small rashers of bacon across 12 cups so I'd estimate it at 1g max. It's mostly there for the salt! There are no egg yolks in there either just egg whites  (I think I said that in the OP). 

So I think, names aside, that I am doing as you suggest! 

As for the snack/mini meal. Should I cut the veggies and just eat the eggs? That way I'd be sticking to just protein and fat. 

Sorry, yes you did - my bad!

Yep, I'd stick with eggs & maybe just add some mayo - deviled eggs anyone...? :wub:

Just make sure you're eating to the high end of the template & embrace the fat - flaxseed isn't a great choice, and you don't really mention fat in your other meals bearing in mind that what you use for cooking is negligible - maybe go for mayo or avocado or some kind of dressing?

Thanks! I definitely agree that I need to be on the higher end of the template. 

I can't eat avocado (fodmap :o) but I do always choose fatty proteins for my meals - salmon, trout, chicken thighs, beef etc. The exception to this is that I will eat tuna maybe twice a week for lunch so will take your suggestion of adding some mayo those days. 

Thanks again for your help! 

11 minutes ago, AlexLifts said:

I can't eat avocado (fodmap :o)

Doh! Yup, that's what I get for multi-tasking! Is it home time yet...??! :ph34r:

I'm a fellow low FODMAPer too so I feel your pain...... :mellow:

Definitely don't short change yourself on the fat - that's what will provide the satiety & energy for your long days  ;)

4 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Doh! Yup, that's what I get for multi-tasking! Is it home time yet...??! :ph34r:

I'm a fellow low FODMAPer too so I feel your pain...... :mellow:

Definitely don't short change yourself on the fat - that's what wil

You have my sympathy and empathy. 

I like coconut as a fat (in all it's forms) but have to be careful as it became my food with no brakes last time I whole30'd! 

Hope home time comes soon and you have a nice night. 

Hi, I'm new to the program and going to be starting soon. I have a similar question, however, I usually workout at night (after work since there's a gym in our building). I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how to fit a pre-workout, post-workout and dinner all in a couple hours. Could I essentially skip the post-workout meal and replace with a dinner? So my day I think would look like this:

7 a.m. - breakfast

12 p.m. - lunch

5 p.m. - pre-workout snack of maybe a hard boiled egg and a handful of nuts

6-7 p.m. - workout

7:30 p.m. - dinner of a protein and a starchy vegetable

I'd push lunch back a bit to say 12:30, make it larger as far as protein & fat are concerned & skip the preWO.

Your body earns the postWO meal so don't deny it that, and it need only be a few bites and can be eaten immediately upon finishing your session - around 25g of protein if that helps - so it shouldn't take long to eat, and shouldn't reduce your appetite for your third actual meal, which can be eaten 30-45mins later. Your third meal should then follow the template - protein, veg & fat.

14 hours ago, jmcbn said:

I'd push lunch back a bit to say 12:30, make it larger as far as protein & fat are concerned & skip the preWO.

Your body earns the postWO meal so don't deny it that, and it need only be a few bites and can be eaten immediately upon finishing your session - around 25g of protein if that helps - so it shouldn't take long to eat, and shouldn't reduce your appetite for your third actual meal, which can be eaten 30-45mins later. Your third meal should then follow the template - protein, veg & fat.

Thank you for the helpful response! 

Archived