August 21 Start~1st W30 Evuuuuhhhhh!!

In Omnia Paratus

I started on Sunday so I'm on day three right now but since I'm doing it with a friend who started on Monday we are calling it day two...adding an extra day and taking one for the team, lol!  

Day one was a struggle only because I didn't go grocery shopping.  But I had made a crock pot full of beef stew that was 100% compliant.  So I ate a LOT of stew!  And then for dinner I made a compliant version of crack slaw with pork shoulder and coconut aminos that was hailed as "totally not crappy" by my 14 year old son who is not on the wagon with the W30 month.  

Day two was pretty easy for me, I had scrambled eggs for breakfast, ground chicken and spinich for lunch and Aidells chicken and apple smoked sausage for dinner fried up with some onions and bell peppers.  I also went grocery shopping after work so I am loaded up on the goods.  I made my own mayo also last night, it was my first time ever attempting something like that and I had to borrow an immersion blender from my Mom.  It was successful but I ended up giving the jar I made to my co-worker who is doing the w30 (and is the one that got me riled up to try it).  

Today I had scrambled eggs for breakfast and added spinach to them.  Lunch was leftovers from last night.  Dinner tonight is not planned yet but will involve more homemade mayo for a cole slaw dressing and probably ground chicken or beef thrown on top.  I didn't plan anything or pre-cook anything specific because its my "friday" today and its usually a fly by the seat of my pants dinner night.  I'm not a panic eater, I don't starve and then binge on crazy food.  I can let myself get a little hungry and then plan a good compliant meal.  

This way of eating is so refreshing to me.  I've done paleo before and keto/low carb so I don't think I'll fight the sugar cravings as much as someone who has never tried this before.  My biggest problem is not drinking any wine or eating cheese!  I swear wine and cheese are a big percentage of my diet/social life.  But I need a break from wine anyways, I'm sure my liver will thank me.  

Things have been going good!  I'm on day five and I feel pretty good.  I was pretty productive for my weekend.  I got a lot more done then I usually would have because at least one of my days off I usually had a hangover or was otherwise sluggish from going out, staying out too late and not getting enough sleep.  Both nights I've gone to bed at a reasonable time so I'm proud of myself.  I also slept better than usual last night although it took me forever to get to sleep. I did a minimum of wake ups and even slept through my roommate leaving for work which usually always wakes me up.  

Over the weekend I've been making coleslaw with homemade mayo, grilled some steaks, invented a bad-ass yam recipe (top secret) and had coconut curry soup and stirfry.  Plus I ate a pear that was succulent and juicy which made me happy since I was anti-fruit for so long because it really does a number on my bowels...and yup, two hours later I was high tailing it to the loo.  I hope that by the end of this 30 days I can eat fruit without the drama down under.  

I have leftover stirfry for lunch tomorrow and will be making eggs and spinach for breakfast.  Dinner will probably be coleslaw and grilled aidell's chicken and apples smoked sausages because I need to use the grill at least one more time before I put it away (we start getting non-bbq weather early here, I'm in the north and in the middle of the ocean so...yay).  *que Game of Thrones theme music* Winter is coming.  

Still on plan.  Amazing lol!  Tomorrow will be a week of not drinking!  I feel super bloated though and I'm a bit disappointed about that.  I had serious cheat dreams last night.  I was drinking beer and eating off plan and when I woke up I was so relieved it was a dream.  

Today I need to do some shopping.  I'm down to just leftovers in the fridge and I'm running out of several necessities.  I think I'll shop after work and then go home and prep a bunch of veg.  I feel like having several different veggie options prepped makes cooking easier.  I hate chopping veg when it comes time to actually cook stuff.  Its easier to just do it all when I buy the stuff and then toss it in a pan or pot when I need it.  Less mess too.  

On the meal plan for this week (Yesterday was my "monday"), Curried coconut chicken soup, meatballs, spiralized zucchini, homemade pesto, and chicken burgers on portabello buns. The soup recipe should make enough for several meals.  

Hi IOP, I love your log!  I started on Sunday the 21st too.  Can't believe I've been eights days with no alcohol either.  Still on plan.  Yesterday was the biggest challenge to-date.  Friend's birthday party with all kinds of noncompliant food.  But the "no alcohol" was the most difficult.  I figured out it is best to go low-profile and have something that looks like a drink in front of me--otherwise the questions (and peer pressure) are endless.

You're doing fantastic meal-planning.  I just had the chicken and apple sausage for dinner, and have plenty left for a few days.  Hard-boiled my eggs, roasted vegetables and made ground turkey chili (no beans) with fresh roasted tomatoes.  

I have the opposite tummy issues.  Almost nothing makes me run to the loo.  But--this is my second time doing Whole30, and if I recall, it took close to two weeks for the plumbing to start stabilizing.  Hope yours does too!

Thank you for sharing your days.  Congratulations on finishing Week 1.  By the way, I have an almost fourteen year-old son that is totally not on the wagon.  Hoping to sneak a few good things his way during my month.

Best wishes!

Day 8!  Would it be shocking to find out that besides almost 15 years ago when I was pregnant with my son, I have not gone 8 days without drinking before in my adult life.  EEEK!  But I'm actually okay with it.  Saturday night we had a ladies clothing exchange at a friends house, and as usual the wine was flowing but I just filled my wine glass with Kombucha and felt fine about it.  I even went home early, went to bed early and woke up the next morning very pleased with myself.  

I do miss a few things though that are really getting me down.  Sriracha, coffee cream and artificial sweeteners.  Specifically the last two because its *almost* pumpkin spice season (so basic over here), and I love pumpkin spice latte's!!!!  I have a bottle of DaVincis sugar free pumpkin spice syrup in my pantry and it has been calling my name.  So, I've struggled.  I'm trying some new spice chai like teas to try and concur this beast.  

Chicken thighs were on sale at the store last night and I bought a package of 10 of them, made 6 in the roaster pan last night and sauteed some brussels sprouts with balsamic to go with them.  It made a lot, since the kiddo ate at a friends house last night I have leftovers for two meals.  I bought a lot of brussels, so I'll be eating those for days too.  I'm going to try roasting those next, sauteed left much to be desired in texture to me.  I have four Thighs in the freezer for later, I'll use those to make curry on my day off this week.  

I still feel really bloated.  Last night particularly I was hating life.  My belly felt so big and gross and I swear my yoga pants were tight and it freaked me the hell out.  I'm going to cut back on fruit.  Its never been a staple in my diet and its the only thing I can think of that is doing that to me.  It is shark week, but I've never struggled with bloat on this level before from shark week.  

19 hours ago, lagringa1221 said:

Hi IOP, I love your log!  I started on Sunday the 21st too.  Can't believe I've been eights days with no alcohol either.  Still on plan.  Yesterday was the biggest challenge to-date.  Friend's birthday party with all kinds of noncompliant food.  But the "no alcohol" was the most difficult.  I figured out it is best to go low-profile and have something that looks like a drink in front of me--otherwise the questions (and peer pressure) are endless.

You're doing fantastic meal-planning.  I just had the chicken and apple sausage for dinner, and have plenty left for a few days.  Hard-boiled my eggs, roasted vegetables and made ground turkey chili (no beans) with fresh roasted tomatoes.  

I have the opposite tummy issues.  Almost nothing makes me run to the loo.  But--this is my second time doing Whole30, and if I recall, it took close to two weeks for the plumbing to start stabilizing.  Hope yours does too!

Thank you for sharing your days.  Congratulations on finishing Week 1.  By the way, I have an almost fourteen year-old son that is totally not on the wagon.  Hoping to sneak a few good things his way during my month.

Best wishes!

Thanks for reading and for commenting!  My son is so not on board that my freezer currently houses a box of ice cream sammies that I begged him not to buy because I know I'm weak willed.  The struggle is REAL!!!  

Day 11 is here.  Crazy that it's already day 11.  Almost halfway done?  

I have a beef.  With my boss.  She has been doing the W30, but she cheats and doesn't start over.  She has had two hershey's bars and admitted it.  I'm not the W30 nazi so it's not like I point out that she should really restart, according to the actual written word of the plan, but yesterday she was posting on facebook about "only four days left" and I had to do a huge eye roll to myself.  If I cheated like that I would re-start.  And I certainly wouldn't be posting on facebook about how "on-plan feels so good" while licking hershey's chocolate off my fingers.  But that's just me.  And it irked me big time.  She also accused me of cheating over my weekend.  She asked me if I cheated when I got back to work and I said no and she said "Are you sure?"  Like I would have forgotten.  It was so fucking condescending that I wanted to call her out on it.  I hate people like that.  YOU cheated, that's your problem not mine.  GAW!!!!  I know she wants me to fail so she can be the overlord of superiority, but really...hersheys (not even good chocolate...).  Now that I've gotten that off my chest we can return to our regularly scheduled programming.  

I went shopping last night.  I LOVE having a fridge and cupboards full of on plan options.  I was pretty low last night when I decided to go to the store.  Usually I wait til Wednesdays or Thursdays to shop (my days off).  Tuesday night was close though, lol.  I bought pork chops, I don't usually do that because I never really like them that much, but I got the bone in chops on sale and they turned out pretty good fried in ghee and seasoned with Old Bay seasoning.  I <3 Old Bay, its my standard seasoning on everything.  

I also bought fruit, even though I was struggling with gastro-intestinal issues from it, I decided to keep trying to eat it and hopefully my gut will get with the program and stop being so icky after eating it.  I figure that years upon years of not eating fruit has probably resulted in not being able to digest it correctly and if I just keep eating it I'll develop whatever I need to do that.  So I bought pears, grapes, "cutie" oranges, and bananas.  So, either I'm going to adjust or I should invest in a lot more TP for the bathrooms.  

I'm glad I've been cooking so much.  I have a lot of meals put away in the freezer to just grab and go when I am busy.  I have an awesome Foodsaver vacuum packer that my parents bought me for christmas a few years ago and it is so handy.  I make a meal in the bag and suck out all the air, seal it and throw it in the freezer.  IN LOVE.  I never used it for that before, I've used it for sealing up game and fish for the freezer because we are avid hunters and fishermen in this house but whole meals?  That's a new one but it works perfect and actually makes me feel like I have my shit together for once!!  LOL!!! 

Thank you for sharing your Whole30 experience, IOP! I start my first on September 5th and it's so great to know that a fellow wine and cheese finatic was able to break the habit for the sake of health! While I will miss my two biggest guilty pleasures, I am looking forward to no longer feeling hungover on the weekends... or just "cloudy". By the way, your post about your boss made me seriously LOL. 

Keep up the good work!:)

For the first time I had a wine craving that was almost unbearable.  It was last night, As I was prepping a big salad for dinner.  The whole house was nice and cozy and I lit a pumpkin spice candle because I'm that basic, haha.  The ambiance in the house was very "its time for a glass of wine and to relax" and I'm so glad my roommate drank all the wine last weekend!!!  I might have caved if I had the option right here.  Instead I put some unsweetened pomegranate juice in my seltzer and distracted myself with an audio book.  Then last night I dreamed that I was out with my best friend and we were arguing about which brand of beer was more w30 compliant, PBR or Rainier, lol!  The amazing part of that dream was that I didn't want to drink the beer with her.  

I woke up with a headache this morning and the funny thing is I think its because I got too much sleep.  I went to bed early and slept all the way till my alarm at 0745 to get my kiddo up for school (day off again today, haha...I'm busier on my days off then I am at my real job).  I have become accustomed to 4-6 hours of sleep at a time at most.  I slept for 9 hours last night.  I remember waking a bit at 0300 and thinking about getting up and making coffee but then I rolled over and went back to sleep.  The headache is already starting to go away though.

I've got a ton of chores to get done again today, overflow from yesterday.  But at least I have plenty of energy for that.  

Day 17: Everything sucks and I'm frustrated.  I don't feel like I'm eating a ton of food but I gained 1.2 lbs.  I know this because I had a physical at the dr.'s and had to weigh in.  I've been very active.  I've gone to the gym several times in the last week and yesterday I had a half day off and spent it fishing and hiking and berry picking.  My partner in this has lost 5 lbs and another (because it seems like everybody is doing W30) lost 12 lbs.  I feel defeated and all my time and energy going into this is giving me the opposite results that I need.  I can't sleep at night, I toss and turn for hours and then when I do manage to get to sleep I wake up at 3am on the dot and can't get back to sleep, I'm getting fatter, my skin, especially my back is so broken out right now.  I have not cheated, or deviated from the rules of the W30 at all.  I've got two weeks left and I don't even know if I want to continue.  If my skin gets worse I will fucking cry.  I cannot go out in public looking like a freak show.  And all my clothes are tight, especially in the belly region.  I had to put on spanks today so I wouldn't burst a damn button on my blouse.  I know I'm not overeating.  Especially for my activity level.  :angry:

• Moderators
2 hours ago, In Omnia Paratus said:

Day 17: Everything sucks and I'm frustrated.  I don't feel like I'm eating a ton of food but I gained 1.2 lbs.  I know this because I had a physical at the dr.'s and had to weigh in.  I've been very active.  I've gone to the gym several times in the last week and yesterday I had a half day off and spent it fishing and hiking and berry picking.  My partner in this has lost 5 lbs and another (because it seems like everybody is doing W30) lost 12 lbs.  I feel defeated and all my time and energy going into this is giving me the opposite results that I need.  I can't sleep at night, I toss and turn for hours and then when I do manage to get to sleep I wake up at 3am on the dot and can't get back to sleep, I'm getting fatter, my skin, especially my back is so broken out right now.  I have not cheated, or deviated from the rules of the W30 at all.  I've got two weeks left and I don't even know if I want to continue.  If my skin gets worse I will fucking cry.  I cannot go out in public looking like a freak show.  And all my clothes are tight, especially in the belly region.  I had to put on spanks today so I wouldn't burst a damn button on my blouse.  I know I'm not overeating.  Especially for my activity level.  :angry:

I'm sorry you're having a rough time. Breathe, try to relax, and let's see if we can figure out what's going on here.

First, know that weight loss isn't linear -- you may gain a little sometimes, and still at the end of 30 days have lost weight. That's one reason whole30 encourages not weighing for 30 days. It can be affected by whether or not you've gone to the bathroom lately, how much you've eaten, what you've eaten, if you're female, where you are in your cycle.

I'm wondering if maybe there's something you're eating that is completely whole30 that just isn't good for you. Many people overeat nuts and seeds, and that can cause digestive and skin issues. Some people are sensitive to nightshades or FODMAPS -- here's articles on each of those, see if either sounds like what you're experiencing and if you seem to be eating more of those foods than normal: 

http://www.thepaleomom.com/modifying-paleo-for-fodmap-intolerance/

http://www.thepaleomom.com/what-are-nightshades/

If you want more feedback, I'd suggest posting in the Troubleshooting section of the forum. Include a couple of days' worth of food, being as specific as you can about types of vegetables and portion sizes, exercise and any pre- and post-workout snacks, and how much water you're drinking.

Thanks Shannon, I really appreciate the feedback.  I discussed this all with my doc during my physical yesterday.  He discussed it with a PA at the clinic who does W30 and then she called me this morning to help me trouble shoot.  After our conversation I've decided to cut the fruit out of my diet.  Its still bothering my digestive system and she things that its probably contributing to bloating causing water weight gain and my skin issues.  I liked her stance that yes, fruit is good for some, but not for all.  And since I've never been a fruit eater, aside from berries, its safe to say that its probably not the best thing I can be putting in my body.  

However, that might not be the whole problem.  They (the doc and the PA) are both surprised I didn't drop a lot of weight just cutting out wine, because I am very open and honest with how much I drink and its not a moderate amount, I drank wine every. single. night prior to starting the W30 and I've not had a single drink in 18 days now.  Its crazy that I GAINED weight cutting out a daily wine habit.  And I'm not subbing in anything to compensate for wine.  On the first shopping trip for W30 compliant food I bought a bottle of unsweetened pomegranate juice and it's still 3/4 of the way full in the fridge because I add a few tablespoons to seltzer every once in a while.  Other then that I drink coffee with unsweetened almond milk, herbal tea with lemon or water.  

My W30 partner and I are making a shepards pie tonight for dinner. Following the recipe in the cookbook, but instead of sweet potatoes we are going to use butternut squash to cut the carbs. I'm also going to throw a stew together in the crock pot so I have something to eat for the rest of the week/weekend as work is going to be really busy for me.    

Today is my last day.  Can't wait to eat some cheese.  

Will I do this again someday?  Maybe, if I need to reset my palate.  I'm not craving the things that I used to and even dates are too sweet for me so I imagine it'll be easy to avoid sugary stuff and artificial sweeteners no problem.  I'm going to use this whole30 reset to jump straight into strict calorie controlled keto.  I'm going to keep on working out at least 4 days a week.  Hopefully more.  

Archived