Autoimmune success?!

I am on day 4 of the autoimmune protocol. I have been battling Epstein Barr virus and candida. I have read a lot of health/nutrition books and really believe whole30 is on the right track....

Does anyone have any autoimmune protocol success stories they would like to share for some encouragement to myself and maybe others???

• 2 weeks later...

Helene: Just wanted to share - I have a serious autoimmune disease. I started the autoimmune protocol on July 1st, and by the end of that month my pain levels had dropped by over half. I've been able to get off all my pain medications, and am currently no longer on any immune-suppressant medications. I'm still dealing with low-grade inflammation and pain, so I still have a ways to go to reach "normal", but I'm very thankful for the progress I've made so far. I've started testing some of the foods I've been avoiding - nuts seem to be OK for me, but 1/2 of an egg caused a severe flare-up of my disease that took over a week to die back down. I still have a lot more foods to test. Good luck!

Thanks for the response, so glad to hear you have seen progress!! I am on day 15 and can see a slight change. I do hope that I can incorporate nuts and seeds back in to my diet after the 30 days because I just love them!

With not eating eggs, have you come up with any good on the go breakfasts? I usually do protein and veggies, or make this red cabbage that is cinnamon and apple sweet but I would be curious to see if you make anything different?

Hope you continue to improve!

Breakfast is my weakest meal, too. I often make a smoothie from 1 cup fresh greens, 1 small banana, and 1 cup berries, with 1 T coconut oil, and also eat a homemade sausage. Only takes a few minutes to make/heat-up. Sometimes I'll make a quart of fresh vegetable juice instead - enough for a couple mornings, but that takes longer to clean up. I usually make that later in the day when I have more time. Otherwise, it is often left-overs from dinner.

My whole appetite has changed after eating this way for so long. I don't crave the other foods - want them, sometimes, but not badly crave them. I never thought I would be able to give up sugar and chocolate, my major life-long addictions. But I'm doing fine without them.

Definitely stick to the diet for a few more weeks. It's really worth giving it a serious try. Good luck!

Hi Christy,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I am dealing with Epstein Barr/ Chronic Fatigue syndrome. I have cut out all nightshades, nuts/seeds, and eggs. Nuts and seeds were the hardest for me but not eating them is helping my inflammation.

Here are some of my staples:

Onions, garlic, coconut/ olive oil, olives, acacados, artichoke hearts, spices, and cocnut milk

There is actually a lot out there that you can make, you just have to get creative. I do a lot of stir frys which are easy to make for many meals or for your family. Without eggs, a spinach or kale stir fry is really helpful for meal 1. I use the base as coconut oil or olive oil and sauté onions and garlic, then you can add any kinds if protein. I then make it different based on the spices I use (favorites are: rosemary, orageno, sage, thyme, basil, and fennel) you can add any kind of veggie (I like to also add artichoke hearts, sometimes olives etc. and it's always so tasty!

I make sure to incorporate 1/2 an avacado or olives with every meal to ensure I have good fats to tide me over (surprisingly I don't miss my almond butter anymore!). I would suggest looking up paleo recipes and tailoring them to your protocol. It takes some work but it gets easier and I have Ben able to make great meals!!

Best if luck, you can do it!

I have had great success with the autoimmune protocol for my Hashimoto's and Celiac diseases. I thought I only had residual issues before I did a couple strict months of the protocol, where my inflammation levels plummeted and I started to feel better than I had in years. I had no idea how eggs, nuts and nightshades were affecting me. Now I can tolerate the egg yolk, but not the white. Any nuts, seeds or nightshades and I get inflamed again. Its only 30 days of planning and eating strict to figure out how it affects you - I'd encourage anyone with an autoimmune disease to try it! I never knew this would turn into a permanent thing for me, but if it keeps me healthy, I'm all for it! :)

• 5 years later...

I struggle with Epstein Barr and have been battling chronic pain and inflammation for months now.  I'm on day 16 of my Whole30, but after reading some of your posts here, I realize I probably should have been doing it with the autoimmune protocol.  So far, I'm noticing a decrease in pain, but it hasn't gone away completely.  

So after an unintentional experiment with eliminating eggs (no eggs for roughly 7 or 8 days), I fixed an egg casserole last night and had a little bit for supper.  I'm in so much pain this morning it's not funny.  The only thing that I can think of causing it is the eggs.  I think for the remainder of my Whole30, I'll skip eggs.  I'd been feeling better.  Today is Day 17 for me.  

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Zee_1 said:

I struggle with Epstein Barr and have been battling chronic pain and inflammation for months now.  I'm on day 16 of my Whole30, but after reading some of your posts here, I realize I probably should have been doing it with the autoimmune protocol.  So far, I'm noticing a decrease in pain, but it hasn't gone away completely.  

Hi @Zee_1 - glad to hear that you are having a decrease in pain. We recommend that the majority of people do the Whole30 program as written first before eliminating further with the AIP variant. The W30 program is overall an anti-inflammatory program and many folks realize significant change doing it as written. If you go right into AIP and have success, you may have the same success you would have had w/ the standard Whole30 but you'd not ever know that and continue under heavy restriction that may or may not be necessary. The thing with the eggs is interesting though and would definitely recommend if you think the eggs caused next-day pain, leave those off until you're feeling better and then try it again and see what happens. That's valuable experimentation!

Also worth mentioning that the program isn't a cure-all for painful conditions. Decrease in pain is excellent but if the result you're waiting for is pain-free, you may have expectations greater than the program can provide. Many people do resolve conditions but just as many do not as food is just the start. Not trying to be discouraging but want you to understand that decrease in pain is an excellent and valuable result - even if it's not full resolution of the pain.

@ladyshanny  I realize it’s not a cure all and I have been really pleased and excited about how much my symptoms had improved. What you’re saying about doing the whole30 without the aip first makes perfect sense. I figured if I dove straight in and added the additional limitations right off the bat, that I’d set myself up for the process being completely overwhelming and not doable. But I completely follow the logic behind what you’re saying.  Besides a lessening of pain, I’m seeing other good things from doing the whole30. It’s basically been one of the best decisions I’ve made. 

I talked with my doctor today. She agreed that I ought to leave eggs out of the rest of my 30 and and that I may need to remove nightshade. Her other suggestion was to extend my 30 for a bit. 

Thanks! 

Archived