Making Ghee in the Oven

Bellmaestra

I bought the "Paleo Perfected" cookbook (America's Test Kitchen; it's pretty terrific!). One recipe was for making ghee by baking it in the oven. You put four sticks of unsalted butter in a dutch oven and bake it at 250 for a suggested 2 1/2-3 1/2 hours. I checked it at 2 1/2 and was a little alarmed to see it was REALLY brown! The solids were quite dark, and once I strained it, the remaining ghee was kind of a tan color. But it's nutty and delicious! Has anyone else tried making ghee in the oven?

Stephanie

• 2 weeks later...

I only make ghee in my crockpot now. Put a few sticks of butter in there, turn the crockpot on high, uncovered. It's not something you can just leave, it needs adult supervision. :-) It takes anywhere from 2-4 hours, but at the point where all the solids drop down to the bottom & start browining, I strain it through some cheesecloth. It comes out fabulously.

3 hours ago, purplepadres said:

I only make ghee in my crockpot now. Put a few sticks of butter in there, turn the crockpot on high, uncovered. It's not something you can just leave, it needs adult supervision. :-) It takes anywhere from 2-4 hours, but at the point where all the solids drop down to the bottom & start browining, I strain it through some cheesecloth. It comes out fabulously.

That's inventive but I'll stick with the stove. Only 40 minutes or so and only light supervision. (And can be done while watching Netflix.) I'm never home enough to schedule 2-4 hours. :-)

A crockpot sounds like a great idea!

I (me, this is not advice) wouldn't put it in the oven. I would feel paranoid about it getting overdone. When I made ghee last week, the finished product was a beautiful yellow color (that turned into a soft yellow when it cooled down and got thicker). I think tan would mean it's a tad more done than most ghee, but if it tasted good, that's the important thing.

19 minutes ago, ArtFossil said:

That's inventive but I'll stick with the stove. Only 40 minutes or so and only light supervision. (And can be done while watching Netflix.) I'm never home enough to schedule 2-4 hours. :-)

Yeah, I usually do it on my "big" prep day, when I know I'm going to be around and can pop in on it. I'm very sensitive to dairy, but can tolerate ghee. I feel like I'm able to get more of the dairy solids out using the crockpot method.

2 hours ago, purplepadres said:

Yeah, I usually do it on my "big" prep day, when I know I'm going to be around and can pop in on it. I'm very sensitive to dairy, but can tolerate ghee. I feel like I'm able to get more of the dairy solids out using the crockpot method.

It's actually the four layers of cheesecloth that removes "all" the milk solids. :)

Well I made some crockpot ghee this weekend. After about 3 hours it was the right color. I used a fine mesh colander lined with double cheesecloth and strained it twice to make sure any ick was out. It is beautiful, and was SUPER easy to do! I highly prefer this to the stove method, and it only required minimal supervision in the form of a peek now and then to see how the solids were doing.

19 hours ago, ArtFossil said:

It's actually the four layers of cheesecloth that removes "all" the milk solids. :)

Oh, I know, I've been Whole30/Paleo for about 4 years now. But I also find it easier when it's a bit browned, the solids are clumpier at the bottom of the crockpot, and therefore easier to capture in the cheesecloth. I appreciate the time investment isn't worth it for you, just sharing what works best for me & my tummy! :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived