Making sure I read it right.

KathyV

Hi, I'm new here and going to start tomorrow!! I'm planning to make some mayo but am getting quite confused about a suitable oil to use, having gone shopping for some today. 

I'm in the UK and I've been looking at 'light' olive oil and am not able to be sure from reading the labels whether it has been refined using heat/chemicals or, for example, charcoal filters. I don't really want to use anything that's been adulterated with heat and/or chemicals.

We have a product grown in the UK, organic extra-virgin cold-pressed rapeseed oil, which is NOT GM (as in Canola) and is extracted in a similar way to EV olive oil. It is said to be high in Omega 3 FAs and because of European Union laws, the erucic acid levels are supposed to be low in a product for human consumption. I'm wondering if this oil could be used as a substitute or maybe mixed half and half with the normal EV olive oil to reduce the strength of the flavour? I'm not planning on eating buckets-full of mayo, just once a week I expect.

There's a link here with some info about the UK rapeseed oil - http://www.seventhwaveuk.com/content/117-is-rapeseed-really-a-healthy-oil

Nope, ditch the rapeseed oil & go for a light tasting olive oil or, if like me you're not happy about using an oil that has been refined in any way opt for avocado or walnut oil (both readily available in tesco/sainsburys etc) or order macadamia oil online. Another option is to use a 50/50 mix of coconut oil with avocado oil for a really good, healthy result.

I think you'll eat a lot more mayo than you anticipate.

Welcome by the way!

16 minutes ago, KaraH said:

I love mayo made with grapeseed oil.  It's got a very mild flavor. 

Grapeseed & Rapeseed are two different products - both are permitted, but both are highly processed, and neither is recommended.

4 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Grapeseed & Rapeseed are two different products - both are permitted, but both are highly processed, and neither is recommended.

Um. I know that. I never said they were the same thing. You were offering alternatives for a lighter flavored oil and I tossed in grapeseed as one of those lighter flavored options. 

Edited: I"m not sure why they're not recommended. An organic, minimally processed grapeseed oil is no different from any of the other oils allowed. 

2 minutes ago, KaraH said:

Um. I know that. I never said they were the same thing. You were offering alternatives for a lighter flavored oil and I tossed in grapeseed as one of those lighter flavored options. 

Ok, that's good - I was just clarifying in case you didn't as the two are sometimes confused. Grapeseed is still not recommended though due to the fact that it's highly processed and high in omega 6 fatty acids which we tend to have too many off in our diets. It's fine for eating out purposes during your Whole30, but not really for using at home.

Archived