Shocked to find I have issues with oats & rice

Incandescent

My reintroductions are going slower than expected and I'm finding out things I don't want to know :(. Of course I am very glad to be getting to the bottom of my health issues, but  here's what I didn't want to find:

1. Dairy gives gives me an itchy throat and makes me phlegmy - I can't afford to be phlegmy because I get bad seasonal allergies and hate being all stuffy.

2. Oatmeal knocked me the f* out yesterday. I was so tired after eating it and it made me hungry a couple hours after breakfast, even though I'd added sausage and spinach to the meal.

3. Rice gives me HIVES. What?! And it made me stuffy. 

I have yet to try out corn, legumes or gluten. 

Does anyone else have the oat and rice problem? Also, could this be temporary, meaning maybe I have a leaky gut, which is causing these foods to send their allergens into my bloodstream now, but if I heal my gut, maybe I can enjoy them again?

I appreciate any input. THANKS!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you've just spent 30 days healing your gut. That's what Whole30 is all about.

When you continually eat foods that aggravate the gut, the gut produces a mucosal layer to protect itself. When you remove the offending foods the mucosal layer is nolonger required and so the body breaks it down - meaning when you eat the offending foods again there's no mucosal layer there to mask any symptoms.

Now granted when you remove dairy from your body the body stops producing the enzymes required to digest it. And when you reintroduce it the body eventually starts producing those enzymes again. However, those enzymes (lactase) will not prevent an itchy throat, nor will it prevent the build up of phlegm - it may mask any gastro intestinal symptoms depending on the severity of your sensitivity. All that mucosal layer is is a sticky plaster.

The oatmeal probably always knocked you out, but with inflammation from other foods, unstable energy from eating simple sugars etc you probably didn't notice. You could always retry to confirm.

It's fairly uncommon to be allergic to rice, but hives are hives, and a common reaction. That said they are also associated with a histamine response. What did you eat that day  with the rice? Or since histamine can be a dosage issue what have you been eating a lot of lately?

I assume you tried the rice & the oatmeal on separate days?

jmcbn thanks for the response! - I was under the impression that leaky gut could take up to 18 months to heal? I wouldn't expect to be normal again in 30 days, would I? I went through some very intense stress for 3 years straight, which ravaged my system.

In one day I ate the oatmeal for breakfast and had black rice noodles for dinner - which contain both black rice and white rice. I ate the noodles with sunflower seed butter. I developed hives immediately after the noodles that night. I read the ingredients and there wasn't anything "extra" in those noodles. Days later, I tried plain white rice (which was my only reintroduction that day) and had no reaction! So...it could be a black rice-specific problem, or maybe the buildup of having oatmeal and then throwing rice on top of that gave me the reaction. Hives are still healing from over a week ago BTW. They also flared up when I had soy sauce. 

On the upside - I had no noticeable reaction to gluten when I reintroduced it! I plan to eat mostly whole30 going forward to continue to heal my gut and also just because it agrees with me so much. I'll eat whole30 at home, then splurge on special occasions only. I'm continuing to lose weight during reintroductions. 

28 minutes ago, Incandescent said:

jmcbn thanks for the response! - I was under the impression that leaky gut could take up to 18 months to heal? I wouldn't expect to be normal again in 30 days, would I? I went through some very intense stress for 3 years straight, which ravaged my system.

Yes, it can of course take longer, although I think 6mths is probably the average if you're sticking to a paleo-esque diet which removes most of the irritants, and so you'll have made good head way in 30 days. I maybe misunderstood your post though when you asked if this was a temporary reaction. I [wrongly] assumed that you were asking if you continued to eat these foods would the symptoms go away as they can do with dairy (as per my explanation above) when the lactase production kicks in.

Did you notice sensitivities to any other foods during your Whole30? What was your pre Whole30 diet like? Do you take any probiotics or digestive enzymes?

If I were you I'd do separate tests for oats & black rice, and when you come to do legumes I'd do a separate one for soy - just to be sure.

jmcbn Thanks for the info --- I hope I can heal my gut in 6 months, that would be great. I never dreamed I could have all these food sensitivities that I was oblivious to until my whole30. 

To answer your questions: I didn't have any food sensitivities during whole 30 and I was totally strict and on plan. Pre-whole30 I ate what I considered at the time to be healthy. which means, meat, fish, pasta, cheese, tofu, beans, salads, smoothies, yogurt, but I had a bad sweet tooth and indulged in sugar lots (as desserts, not soda). I've been taking probiotics for at least 6 months, the kind you refrigerate. 

Today I tested yogurt on its own and it was not pretty - I had a horrible digestive reaction. My next test, in 2 days will be soy. 

I feel confident that I will feel good if I just stick to whole30 eating for a while. I was hoping I could splurge on ice cream every once in a while, but I'm not sure that will be worth it to me after the reactions I've had to dairy. Guess I'll be trying coconut ice cream :). To be perfectly honest though, I think sugar is problematic for my allergies, so that will be on rare occasions. 

I didn't expect the reintroductions to last so long, but what i'm really learning is that, for the foreseeable future, I will be basically eating whole30, so I better get used to it! 

4 hours ago, Incandescent said:

I didn't have any food sensitivities during whole 30

Leaky gut is usually treated with the specific carbohydrate diet, which excludes a number of foods allowed on Whole30, so I'd have thought/suspected that if you did suffer from leaky gut that many of those foods would have caused you issues during your 30 days so it might just be that the foods you have reintro'ed so far are problematic for you, period.

Yoghurt is casein rich by the way, so you might want to try some dairy that is higher in whey as it's much less common for whey to cause digestive symptoms.

Archived