Air fryer

Hoovermom

• 6 months later...

Fries/chips can be made at home and the only method specifically prohibited is "deep frying", so it would depend on if the air fryer fits more in the spirit of the program on the side of roasting or the side of frying.  Ya, the air fryer does use drastically less oil than a deep fryer, but that's not necessarily the primary since W30 is not fat-phobic after all -- the issue is more the end product result I think.  Probably falls more in the FWB category than SWYPO?   My vote would be to skip 'em for the 30 days.

Some related discussion here: http://forum.whole30.com/topic/29592-sweet-potato-chips/

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:25 AM, yazp said:

I could easily skip them for 30 days but my family is not as crazy about vegetables as I am, so I am trying to find solutions....

Are they doing the Whole 30 along with you? If not, then go ahead and make them for the family! I agree with @kirkor though and I'd skip them for myself for the month.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I bought the air fryer only to try different ways to cook food..I know there is small amt of oil used but I do incorporate other fat foods in my diet..I see you recommend not to use it during the 30 days but I guess I need to know why...to me it is a smaller different way of not using oven...I cook only for one me sometimes I cook to much and it is a waste...

• Moderators

The thread starts with someone asking if they can use it to make chicken, which was agreed to... it was someone suggesting they make french fries that we said no to... If you're using it as an alternate way of cooking that does not use more oil than pan frying or roasting and you're not using it to prop up a french fry affliction or similar then go ahead.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So are we talking spirit vs letter of the law here?  For instance, I don't love sweet potato fries - I would never order them, but the other night the quickest way to cook up my sweet potato was to slice it very small and throw it into the air fryer with a tiny bit coconut oil.  I came home extremely hangry! and just wanted something to go with my steak and onions...I had gobs of fresh veggies all day.  If I had the time I think they'd taste better roasted in the oven.  So...it is just a no-no?

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, agamacat said:

So are we talking spirit vs letter of the law here?  For instance, I don't love sweet potato fries - I would never order them, but the other night the quickest way to cook up my sweet potato was to slice it very small and throw it into the air fryer with a tiny bit coconut oil.  I came home extremely hangry! and just wanted something to go with my steak and onions...I had gobs of fresh veggies all day.  If I had the time I think they'd taste better roasted in the over.  So...it is just a no-no?

The moderator just two posts up clarified: If you're using it as an alternate way of cooking that does not use more oil than pan frying or roasting and you're not using it to prop up a french fry affliction or similar then go ahead.

Archived